New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

They have already shown by not passing #8 out to anyone else that when the day comes it will be an 8/24 jersey up in the rafters.

This is ANCIENT, but I just found it so I had to post it here. :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kobe-bryant-mourns-passing-of-ball,5547/

Kobe Bryant Mourns Passing Of Ball

December 14, 2006 | ISSUE 42•50 | More Sports News in Brief
Article Tools

Share on Tumblr

Related Articles

10-Year-Old Asks Why Interleague Play Is Good
Touchdown Disallowed After Ref Drops Ball Handed To Him By Player

LOS ANGELES—Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was visibly shaken, angry, and confused at center court of the Staples Center Tuesday night when the basketball that he held so close for most of the game was suddenly and inexplicably passed away. "It feels like I was just holding it in my hands a second ago, and now it's gone," said a tearful Bryant, who admitted he "just wasn't ready to let go." "I wish I could say it's in a better place now, but honestly, I'm not sure I can make myself believe that." Bryant later promised that, should he ever get close to another ball, he would make sure that something like this would never happen again.

Best way for Lakers to honor Kobe, have the number 24 hang up in the rafters and have the #8 be on the satue. At the same time, they shouldn't allow anyone to ever wear #8.

Shaq I think would have deserved a statue if he retired as Heat and not groupie to the other teams he played for.

Question...if Nash, let's say averages 14 points and 12 assists and retires as a Laker with a couple chips..do you think he deserves his jersey on the rafters?

I seriously don't think any of the other teams (Cavs, Heat, Cetics, Suns) have any interest in retiring Shaq's jersey.

I also don't think Shaq wants to be honored and to have his jersey retired with any of those teams. For obvious reasons.Being that those years he was in the latter part of his career and was nowhere near his dominant years during the 3peat Laker era teams.After that he was just ring chasing with the other teams.

Miami might offer to retire his jersey since he was there for their first franchise championship.But anyone who watched or re watches that NBA Finals series knows that Wade carried the Heat to that championship and is the reason why he won Finals MVP.

Bottom line is Shaq's legacy and best years where he made his name in the league was with the Lakers.

Last edited:
Best way for Lakers to honor Kobe, have the number 24 hang up in the rafters and have the #8 be on the satue. At the same time, they shouldn't allow anyone to ever wear #8.
Shaq I think would have deserved a statue if he retired as Heat and not groupie to the other teams he played for.
Question...if Nash, let's say averages 14 points and 12 assists and retires as a Laker with a couple chips..do you think he deserves his jersey on the rafters?

True.

But in the summer of 2004 his time was up with the Lakers.Dr. Buss had to make a business decision whether to keep Shaq by giving him a crazy contract extension where Shaq was demanding $30 million a year or risk losing Kobe who was just entering the prime years of his career at that time who was also a free agent that summer and came VERY close to going across the hall and signing with the Clippers.

Dr. Buss also knew & saw Shaq was clearly on the decline at that point of his career where Shaq just got complacent & lazier after the 3 peat years and loss to the Pistons in the 2004 Finals.

Last edited:
^that idea of kobe retiring :smh: :frown: been watching him with the lakeshow since I was 9.

got to watch kobe play up close live before he retires :frown:

on another note (first time seeing this)

kinda mind boggling :nerd:

Last edited:
Yeah but Ska still isn't believing Dwight is staying here after this season.

Not until he sees the press conference next summer when the pen is in Dwight's hand and Mitch is sitting next to him and is about to sign his new contract.

:rofl:

Damn you can really tell in that pic that Dwight is really only 6'11.

Good luck trying to get Dwight, Kareem, and Shaq in the same room to do a SI cover like this one:

Shaq does not get along with Kareem & Dwight. Dwight & Shaq would probably get into a fight over who should be the one to wear the Superman cape :lol:

Last edited:
Haven't seen these interviews before from May this year.

Thought they were good:

And hell yeah Hannah Storm can still get it :evil:

I'm surprised no one has been talking about this

New Lakers Media Deal Holding Viewers Hostage, Unable to Watch Games
By William Van Noll on September 3, 2012

Owners of Lakers' broadcasting rights over the next 20 years, Time Warner Cable has yet to ink distribution deals with other cable/satellite providers for Lakers content, meaning the majority of fans will be without Lakers basketball come October.

Time Warner Cable is set to launch two regional sports networks October 1st—Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Spanish-language network Time Warner Cable Deportes.

The biggest draw for Time Warner's newest offerings will overwhelmingly be the exclusive broadcasting rights of Lakers games and original team content under the famed $4 billion, 20-year deal struck with the Buss Family in February 2011.

The two sports networks will also offer exclusive Los Angeles Galaxy, Los Angeles Sparks and high school sports content.

Pointed out by the OC Register's Kevin Ding last week, anyone with DirectTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FIOS, Cox Cable or any other non-Time Warner cable provider will be unable to watch Lakers games if Time Warner cannot enter into agreements with these distributors soon.

Given the gravity of the situation and a fast-approaching regular season, this broadcasting lockup hasn't been getting the sort of attention it rightly deserves. A resolution needs to come—and fast.

Rather than solely pay the high prices to carry ESPN, Fox Sports or other premium-priced sports programming, Time Warner is getting in the game and becoming a heavyweight sports content owner of its own.

By all accounts, Time Warner is striking a hard bargain with cable and satellite companies everywhere—reason to believe no major provider has agreed to carry TWC SportsNet yet.

And for good reason: Time Warner is on the hook and must pay $4 billion to the Lakers over the next 20 years.

But if Time Warner can't play nice and decides to go nuclear with DirectTV, Dish Network and the rest, Lakers fans will become the ultimate casualties, as they'll be unable to watch Kobe, D12, Steve Nash and the new look Lakers take the floor when the first TWC SportsNet game airs October 31.

A spooky Halloween, indeed.

Time Warner is expecting droves of dedicated Lakers fans to demand their own cable or satellite providers carry the TWC Sports and Deportes networks, creating the aptly titled http://iwantmylakers.com as a resource for fans to get updates on the dispute and to access their own television providers.

But to date, cable and satellite providers have yet to blink. As it stands, Time Warner will be the only source to watch your Lakers next year.

Didn't we already endure a league-wide lockout last year?

Now, Lakers fans are facing a thermonuclear media lockout to start the 2012-13 season.

The business of basketball is just that—business. Somebody has to pay, and if the cable/satellite providers don't, the fans most certainly will.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...holding-viewers-hostage-unable-to-watch-games

I'm surprised no one has been talking about this

Wow and I was going to get league pass this year through direct tv so I could watch the games I want to see instead of what is offered in my area. This is really going to affect my decision, if it does not change.

If Kareem helps Dwight at all, Lakers need to do something for that man. No one will give him a coaching job, nobody gives him an official title, but he keeps helping their future centers to help the club. **** a statue, give the guy a better job man. :smh:

And on the flip, we were just happy with Dwight as is, if he starts learnin like how Drew learned from Cap........ :smokin

If Kareem helps Dwight at all, Lakers need to do something for that man. No one will give him a coaching job, nobody gives him an official title, but he keeps helping their future centers to help the club. **** a statue, give the guy a better job man. :smh:
And on the flip, we were just happy with Dwight as is, if he starts learnin like how Drew learned from Cap........ :smokin

Kareem already threw Drew under the bus... Saying Drew did not listen, and didn't take it seriously, and wasn't focused on a title..

Last edited:
^ And he was right. Drew was a contributor, no doubt, but he fell faaaaaar short of maximizing his potential.

I remember the day he was drafted. Had a swagger that requires a LOT of work to back up. He forgot the 'swagger should always be backed up by hard work' part.

I'm going w/ the Captain on this one.

been sayin that Bynum had all the skills but not the work ethic.

the day i found out that Bynum didnt want to continue working with Kareem is the day i knew he didnt have it in him to be great.

If Dwight can stick with lessons from either the Cap or the Dream he will have multiple championships and have a jersey retired with the Lakers

even tho Dwight didnt want to play in Orlando, he still showed up to work and got his numbers

Back
Top Bottom