New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Ouch Sasha just lost Maria.

Matt Barnes would like to stay with Lakers, but it’s not likely
Kurt Helin
Aug 31, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT

Matt Barnes is one of those players who seems a little too good to still be out there as a free agent, not snapped up by some teams. Maybe even a return to the Lakers — his defense, willingness to work off the ball, and athleticism seem a fit with Steve Nash and some of the things the Lakers will be doing.

But it’s not likely to happen, the Lakers have been pretty clear they didn’t plan to bring Barnes back. Even though Barnes wants it to, as he told TMZ in an interview (Lakers role players end up on TMZ — and you wonder why people want to play in L.A.). Ben Golliver of Eye on Basketball watched TMZ so you don’t have to (hat tip to IamaGM).

“I’m actually a free agent right now,” Barnes said in a TMZ.com video interview. “So [the Lakers] are one of the teams we are talking to. There are a couple of other teams. Hopefully we’ll get this arrest situation out of the way so I can go ahead and move forward with my career.”

Barnes was arrested for an outstanding traffic warrant and resisting arrest in the Los Angeles area city of Manhattan Beach.

That doesn’t help his cause, the Lakers were not making a big move to bring him back before that. Suffice to say that after a couple of years with the Lakers Barnes is more popular with fans and teammates (he is liked in the locker room) then he is with management.

That said, he averaged 7.8 points and 5.5 rebounds a game in nearly 23 minutes a game for the Lakers, and he plays solid defense. There are teams that could use a veteran like that. Someone will pick him up before or during training camp. It just likely will not be the Lakers.

Last edited:
The father of the Princeton offense.. Talking Lakers & Princeton Offense

Carril thinks the Lakers have pieces to run Princeton offense

Kurt Helin

Aug 31, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT

Pete Carril — the Hall of Fame coach who spent 29 years as the head man at Princeton — is the father of the Princeton offense. He cribbed parts of it from what the Celtics were doing in the 1960s (as Don Nelson did with small ball) but he was the guy that put it together and made it work. It has led to some beautiful basketball.

Not always, though. The offense has flamed out before, and if you need proof you can look at Eddie Jordan’s tenure in Washington. Jordan is a Carril disciple but he could not get the Wizards players to buy in.

Jordan will soon officially be a Lakers assistant. So will the Princeton offense work in Los Angeles, where the Lakers will run a hybrid version of it next season? Carril told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated he thinks it should.

I imagine that if the [Lakers] guys want to do it, and [the coaches] can convince them that it’d better for them, I think they’ll do it. They have the right ingredients, all the passers. They have really good passers there. The only one I don’t really know much about as a passer is Howard. But [Pau] Gasol can pass and he can shoot, and of course Bryant and Nash can shoot, and whatever they call him now [Metta World Peace], I know he can pass. It all depends on Howard, and then what kind of bench they have…

Generally speaking, that offense doesn’t work when two things are prevalent. One is when they treat it like a robotic thing. And the other is when they don’t want to do it.

I love that he doesn’t know World Peace’s name. Despite working with Artest in Sacramento.

The Lakers will want to do it, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol asked for it. After years in the triangle they like an offense where no plays are called and what cuts and passes you make depend on how the defense adjusts its coverage. They will not be robotic about it. Steve Nash will buy in. Dwight Howard will buy in. It may take a little while for the offense to really click (especially with Howard missing training camp due to his back), but the Lakers should make it work.

Like a lot of observers, Carril thinks this could be good for Kobe Bryant.

What I told Eddie is that it might work for this team for several reasons. One is that you’re going to get easy shots for Kobe Bryant. And over the last several years, I’ve seen where his shots have become harder and harder to get. He’s getting older and more tired, so I’d like to see whether they can get him some easy shots. He’s going to make them.

But you have to set picks to do that, whether you set a pick with Gasol or whoever it is, you’re going to get a free shot and they’re going to find out — the way I did — that the guy who sets the pick, after a while, is going to be more open than the guy that he set the pick for. They’ve got shooters, they’ve got passers, so they can run that. Whether they want to do it? I think Eddie can show them how to do it so it’s not robotic, and it could be effective.

watched that video on worldstar a few days ago. Absolute comedy :lol: The part where he's talkin about the celtics and ray allen had me rollin

before the d12 trade

" Bynum is better than Howard anyway, we don't need him "

After the trade

" DWIGHT IS SSOOO MUCH BETTER THAN BYNUM "

bwahahahha.. dude is on point

8 pts and 5 boards isnt bad at all for Barnes, hes a lil scrappy knucklehead so i hope they bring him back.

And the day they unveil a statue of Kobe ill try my damnest to get out there and see it, like freeze said a fadeaway statue would be too sick.

But i think a kobe statue of him showing his heart after he hit the game winner against phoenix would be crazy, all that emotion if captured would be epic.

8 pts and 5 boards isnt bad at all for Barnes, hes a lil scrappy knucklehead so i hope they bring him back.
And the day they unveil a statue of Kobe ill try my damnest to get out there and see it, like freeze said a fadeaway statue would be too sick.
But i think a kobe statue of him showing his heart after he hit the game winner against phoenix would be crazy, all that emotion if captured would be epic.

I think it will be this when he checked out of the game on his 81 point game:

Last edited:
I agree, and i hope shaqs statue will be his signature "dunkman pose". Also i can see the kobe 81 point game statue just like the toy mcfarlene made

when the lakeshow retire Mr. Bryant's jersey...which do you think they'll put in the rafters...

#8 with 3 rings...81 points...dope dunks and prime kobe

or

#24 with potential 3 rings...clutch jump shots...black mamba..broken historic scoring records every year

which is more his identity? which do fans relate to more? which do you guys relate to more..

different animal, same beast

If they had to choose one, I'd see 24 going up in the rafters. I personally think it'd be :smokin if they retired both.

I honestly don't think Shaq will get a statue outside of Staples.

I'm not hating on him and I appreciate what he did for the Lakers during his career and I will be at the game on 4/2/13 when he gets his jersey retired.

The current Lakers that have statue's (West, Magic, Chick Hearn, and Kareem) got their's because they defined their era's when they played and and had a big influence off the court to people.

I mean look at Wilt Chamberlain he's one of the greatest players ever.He won a championship with the Lakers but he does not and won't get a statue.Both him and Shaq played on different teams and won a championship with another team also.Kareem on the other hand even though he didn't play his entire career and won a championship with the Bucks before coming to the Lakers is getting one because dude is the career all time scoring leader in league.

West, Magic, and Kobe all spent their entire career's with the Lakers.

Last edited:

I agree. When its all said and done, and they decide to give Kobe a statue. This will be the image that will be made into that statue.

If Shaq ended his career with us it would be no question he'd have a statue. I don't see him getting one after playing for us for only eight out of his 19 seasons in the NBA. Our statues seem to be for the lifers or those who spent a vast majority of their time with us.

Some dude on clublakers hit up Metta's Nurses & Nerds themed party in Hollywood last night. David Arquette supposedly owns the place and was the host:

David Arquette enjoying that freedom since his divorce is done:

:lol:

Last edited:

I agree. When its all said and done, and they decide to give Kobe a statue. This will be the image that will be made into that statue.

If they were to use this moment for the statue, do you think they will keep the #8 on there? It seems to me that Kobe prefers #24. And It would just be wrong if they put a #24 on there. His best moments WERE in the #8 though

I really feel like yall will hang both of em up. If they only hang #24 no one is gonna want to wear #8 nor would the fans let them and visa versa

If they were to use this moment for the statue, do you think they will keep the #8 on there? It seems to me that Kobe prefers #24. And It would just be wrong if they put a #24 on there. His best moments WERE in the #8 though

I think they should leave the jersey on the statue as #8.

It's really debate able on when Kobe had his BEST moments in his career wearing 8 or 24.

#8 years & Frobe years was when he put up his best stats and got most of his individual accolades.And yes he won 3 rings but at the same time he was not the main leader on those championship teams where he shared the leadership duties with Shaq.

#24 years is where he proved he was the main leader and could lead teams to championships with him being the focal point of the offense and teams built around him.He also won his only league regular season MVP award and 2 NBA Finals and maybe a couple more Finals MVP awards, he also became the Lakers all time franchise leader in scoring.

That's the hard part with his GREAT Legacy when he leaves the game. When people sit down and discuss his career it's seriously like in 4 or 5 chapters and different era's of Laker teams with him on it.

I think Kobe in the end will choose #24 to hang in the rafters when he's done with the game.

Last edited:

I think they should leave the jersey on the statue as #8.

It's really debate able on when Kobe had his BEST moments in his career wearing 8 or 24.

#8 years & Frobe years was when he put up his best stats and got most of his individual accolades.And yes he won 3 rings but at the same time he was not the main leader on those championship teams where he shared the leadership duties with Shaq.

#24 years is where he proved he was the main leader and could lead teams to championships with him being the focal point of the offense and teams built around him.He also won his only league regular season MVP award and 2 NBA Finals and maybe a couple more Finals MVP awards, he also became the Lakers all time franchise leader in scoring.

That's the hard part with his GREAT Legacy when he leaves the game. When people sit down and discuss his career it's seriously like in 4 or 5 chapters and different era's of Laker teams with him on it.

I think Kobe in the end will choose #24 to hang in the rafters when he's done with the game.

So do you think that Kobe would be okay with the Lakers putting up a statue that has the #8 if #24 is the one that is retired? Or could the statue serve as a way to "retire" #8 as well?

And I see what you are saying about which number he's had his best moments. I guess for me, all the jaw dropping moments seemed to happen in #8, and all the career defining (for lack of better wording) type moments in #24.

Back
Top Bottom