New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Lakers Announce Plans to Honor Former Greats

The Los Angeles Lakers will hold ceremonies to honor three of their all-time great players during the 2012-13 season, it was announced today.

In the first of these events, on Friday November 16, the Lakers and STAPLES Center will unveil a statue of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at Star Plaza outside STAPLES Center. Kareem’s statue will join those of former Lakers Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Jerry West, former Kings hockey great Wayne Gretzky, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and former Lakers broadcaster Francis “Chick” Hearn.

On Friday December 28, in a half-time ceremony, the Lakers will retire jersey #52 in honor of Jamaal Wilkes, and on Tuesday April 2, will retire jersey #34 in honor of Shaquille O’Neal.

Abdul-Jabbar was a member of the Lakers from 1975-1989. He finished his career as the NBA’s all-time leading scorer (38,287) a record that still stands today. His accolades include six NBA Championships (1971, 80, 82, 85, 87 and 88); six-time NBA MVP (1971, 72, 74, 76, 77 and 80); 10-time All-NBA First Team; Five-time All-Defensive first team; Six-time All-Defensive Second Team and 19-time All-Star. Abdul-Jabbar was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1995.

Wilkes was a member of the Lakers from 1977-1984. Wilkes finished his NBA career as a four-time NBA Champion (1975, 80, 82 and 85); three-time NBA All-Star (1976, 81, and 83); two-time All-Defensive Second Team and Rookie of the Year (1975). On April 2, 2012, Wilkes was announced as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction class of 2012.

O’Neal was a member of the Lakers for eight seasons (1996-2004). During his career in Los Angeles, O’Neal was named NBA Most Valuable Player once (2000), Finals Most Valuable Player three times (2000, 2001, and 2002), All-NBA First Team on six occasions (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004) and NBA All-Star seven times. As a Laker, O’Neal posted averages of 27.0 points, 11.8 rebounds and 2.49 blocked shots while winning three NBA Championships (2000, 2001 and 2002). The NBA’s sixth leading scorer of all-time (28,596), O’Neal earned a fourth NBA Championship in 2006 as a member of the Miami Heat.

Link:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/120830_shaqkareemwilkes_honored

I sort of feel weird with Wilkes goin up there.

Wilt, Elgin, West, Magic, Karrem, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe.......Wilkes? :\ I dunno man. Happy for dude, but I dunno......

Also, Wilkes was not on that 85 team, so he has 3 rings, 2 with LA. That article is incorrect.

Last edited:
Wilt, Elgin, West, Magic, Karrem, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe.......Wilkes? :\ I dunno man. Happy for dude, but I dunno......
Also, Wilkes was not on that 85 team, so he has 3 rings, 2 with LA. That article is incorrect.

I know what you mean.

But the rule is they retire HOF players jerseys. Which is funny that they are retiring Shaq's jersey when he isn't in the HOF yet.I think with Shaq's situation is that Dr. Buss loves him and since his health & age is becoming a issue they decided to do it now while he's still alive and can see it happen.

Last edited:
With Wilkes going up there it makes you wonder if the Lakers would consider Pau Gasol when his career is said and done... Already a 2 time NBA champ, multiple All Star appearances, NBA rookie of the year, multiple awards overseas, olympics, and currently the biggest name & best bball player to come out of spain. Definitely has the creds for the Hall with still a handful of years left in the tank....

thoughts?

With Wilkes going up there it makes you wonder if the Lakers would consider Pau Gasol when his career is said and done... Already a 2 time NBA champ, multiple All Star appearances, NBA rookie of the year, multiple awards overseas, olympics, and currently the biggest name & best bball player to come out of spain. Definitely has the creds for the Hall with still a handful of years left in the tank....

thoughts?

I'm pretty sure Pau will be in the Hall. Thats my opinion anyway since its a basketball HOF.

thoughts?

If he makes it into Hall of Fame... Yes

If he doesn't.... No

Those are the rules

Last edited:

I completely feel you. But Gail Goodrich is also up there and I know NOTHING about him I'm ashamed to say. So I guess Wilkes isn't that much of a stretch.

And yes, I think Pau's jersey should for sure be retired. Especially if we win another ring with him. But even if not they still should.

any way we can get barbosa? have they decided to keep barnes?

i cant wait to see what kind of statue kobe is gonna get. whatever it is, i hope hes doing a fadaway.

any way we can get barbosa? have they decided to keep barnes?
i cant wait to see what kind of statue kobe is gonna get. whatever it is, i hope hes doing a fadaway.

Barbosa is a no go... Suns & Cavs both are interested and have money left for a good contract for Barbosa...

And Barnes is gone...

[quote name="MR J 858"]Shaq's situation is that Dr. Buss loves him and since his health & age is becoming a issue they decided to do it now while he's still alive and can see it happen. wants to show Dwight how a storied franchise says "Thanks."[/quote]Fixed. I really believe the Lakers are going to spend considerable effort showing Dwight what's up.

Fixed. I really believe the Lakers are going to spend considerable effort showing Dwight what's up.

Don't agree with this at all.

The chances of Dwight leaving the Lakers next summer in free agency is real SLIM.

Dr. Buss, Jim Buss, and Mitch aren't sweating it all.

Since the press conference Mitch has already been sending messages to him by saying "I hope in 10 years we will get to hang Dwight's jersey up there also"

Shaq's whole beef & drama when & after he got traded in the summer of 2004 was mostly him venting publicly on how he left LA.Dr. Buss and the Lakers never retaliated and fired back at him publicly.

Last edited:
thoughts?

Pau I really have no doubt he will make the Basketball HOF.

He deserves to be there and it's not a hard voting process like how MLB's Hall Of Fame voting committee is.

Guys like Chris Webber though it's hard to decide whether he should be voted in or not.

Last edited:
I will be there for Kareem's statue unveiling for sure.

When tix go on sale to the public, the only event date I will be aiming for is April 2.

Back
Top Bottom