[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters

Face of our franchise: out

Other guy on our team w/ MVPs: out

1999 rookie of the year, 2x champ: out

guy w/ a cool nickname: out

catalyst of our bench: out

Swear to god, tell me Nash/Farmar/Kobe/Pau/Kaman isn't at least a decent starting 5... and they're all out.

LOLakers (no Pmatic)
read this thinking it was some kind of shot at kobe... too me 10 seconds to remember that nash is on our team 
mean.gif

not one of my best days

Nvm...it was vince...brand/francis was 99-00.

Moving along.

Darius morris, anyone?? Lolololol

Johnny flynn...carlos arroyo..shannon brown...kendall marshall...delonte west...darius morris...agent zero....beauboux....just throwing names out.

Arenas and Nick Young instant chemistry :lol: [ so mad i missed out on his Kobe giveaway today on IG :smh: ]

I forgot no one picked up Shannon.

Not thanks to Darius " dribbledribbledribble -turnover" Morris

I still want Beaubois.

Doesn't matter?

I've had people tell me 40% is... OUTSTANDING.

The conversation was about someone else, though.
Jason Kidd?

Oh no, you said 40.

Must be AI.
I specifically remember talking crap on numbers in the 40s and being told by someone in Oregon not named Chester that I'm a fool for trashing 40% numbers. Had a bunch of emoticons and giant walls of text thrown at me.

*ponders bringing back the 'Kobe is overrated' thread*

Naaaaaah. I'll be good. :D  

A guard vs a 7 footer? Guards are almost exclusive to 40%, they shoot further than Centers, PF's.

Michael Jordan shot in the 40's.

Shaq shot in the 60's.

You followin me here?

Out of all those guys, id want rodrigue...Pass on delonte..pass on flynn and arroyo. Pass on dmo. Maybe on agent 0...if he has gas left in the tank. S.breezy....maybe.

I specifically remember talking crap on numbers in the 40s and being told by someone in Oregon not named Chester that I'm a fool for trashing 40% numbers. Had a bunch of emoticons and giant walls of text thrown at me.

*ponders bringing back the 'Kobe is overrated' thread*

Naaaaaah. I'll be good.
happy.gif
A guard vs a 7 footer? Guards are almost exclusive to 40%, they shoot further than Centers, PF's.

Michael Jordan shot in the 40's.

Shaq shot in the 60's.

You followin me here?
I don't think the ball knows whether or not it's being shot by a guard, a center, a shortstop, or a chef, though.

40% by a guard from the perimeter = 40% by a center from the perimeter

60% by a center around the basket > 40% by a guard from the perimeter

Last edited:
I mentioned that positions don't matter, operating with the assumption that it would also go without saying that names don't matter, either.

Every scorer should aspire to shoot a higher percentage, and move the ball.

If Tyson Chandler does that, then every scorer should aspire to do what he does, not necessarily be like him.

That being said, I'd take 10 Tyson Chandlers if 9 of them were offered. The 1 I would reject would be the one that's always injured.

Johnny flynn...carlos arroyo..shannon brown...kendall marshall...delonte west...darius morris...agent zero....beauboux....just throwing names out.

Bobby Brown.

SRS

Get Donte Greene to come back from China in a package deal.

I think these guys could fit the bill for good enough to stick around, but on the cheap. Or at least compete with Wes, X, Farmar in that regard.

I mentioned that positions don't matter, operating with the assumption that it would also go without saying that names don't matter, either.

Every scorer should aspire to shoot a higher percentage, and move the ball.

If Tyson Chandler does that, then every scorer should aspire to do what he does, not necessarily be like him.

That being said, I'd take 10 Tyson Chandlers if 9 of them were offered. The 1 I would reject would be the one that's always injured.

I'm not really sure where you're headed with this, but the fact, pure, simple, entirely provable thru 65 years of history, fact, is, guards shoot further away 99% of the time than bigs. Therefore, they have lower shooting %'s.

Kobe, whom you are trying to discredit in some way, shoots the ball with Bruce Bowen or Shane Battier draped all over him because that is his skill, his job. Create a shot. For over a decade now, he's the only Laker we've had with that skill outside of Lamar, and Lamar isn't that great a shooter off the dribble especially.

Pau, doesn't create his own shot for 18 footers, he catches, and shoots standing still. How many times do you see Kobe have that luxury to simply stand still, have his defender help off him, then he catches and shoots standing still?

Pau gets that exact shot 3-4-5-6-7 times a game. Either Kobe or Nash feeding him, nowadays it would be Blake or Farmar.

Kobe is a career 44-45% shooter, Jordan 49. And they face the best defender, every night, create their own offense, every single night.

Pau gets FED the ball, standing still on the outside, and merely shoots, flat footed even.
When he's in the paint then he creates his own shot down there, against a tall defender most times, and shoots from inside 10 feet, ie, should be easier to make than a 19 footer.

Surely, you know all these facts. And really, you backing ason Kidd for life and he WISHES he could make 40% of his shots, so, glass, and stones, and don't toss, and all that. Thank you.

shaq/any center shooting 60%s job is to run to the paint, get the ball from a guard and 1. score 2. see the double and pass the ball

just like any role playing shooter's job is to run to the corner, get the ball and 1. shoot 2. see the defender closing out and pass the ball

for these guys its easy, the offensive system allows them to get the ball in the spots where they are most effective and score which means they will probably shoot a high %

guys like kobe bring the ball up, face several defenders, need to work to get teammates open looks, counted on to bail the team out when the shot clock is winding down, when the offense doesnt work out he is counted on to create something out of nothing, ect.

thats a lot more than just "run to your favorite spot and wait for the ball to come", so maybe there is a reason after all why high usage guards shoot a lower % than post players 

its not like kobe's out there saying "my goal is to shoot 40% this game, any more and i did something wrong" he's trying to shoot 100% like every other player, the shots he has to take are harder to make than a center who gets spoon fed the ball (most of the time kobe is doing the spoon feeding) 

guess cp beat me to the punch 

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not trying to defend Pau; DONNNEEE with him.

And you bring up Kidd's shooting% every time we do this, when it's obviously the least desirable thing about him, and nowhere close to the something I like about him. No, I don't think you can just leave Kidd open for 3 (he was absolutely one of the ones that busted our head from the perimeter en route to their 2010 title), but overall? Yeah, if a team was to rely on Kidd for scoring in order to win the game... yikes.

I know Kobe's shots are created vs Pau's spoonfed shots, but I'm saying, as far as shooting % goes... 44% from a SG is 4% higher than 40% from a PF/C... period.

So yes, given 100 shots, the 44%er is going to make more of them; 4 more, to be exact.

Given that they're at least marginally in the same vicinity, maybe the 44%er should, possibly, consider, if logic crosses his mind at all... shoot a little less. Not 'shoot never', but just... less.

Then ANOTHER angle is that if his percentage is because his shots are so difficult from having to create them... maybe... make things a little less difficult by... and we've never agreed on this... passing on a few of those baseline fadeaway double team shots.

Like, I wouldn't care for 2 seconds if JR Smith came at me like "Well my percentage is lower than Andrew Bynum's because he dunks, and I have to jack up crazy shots."

Well, stop making your shots so crazy, and shoot less of them. Done and done. 
laugh.gif

shaq/any center shooting 60%s job is to run to the paint, get the ball from a guard and 1. score 2. see the double and pass the ball

just like any role playing shooter's job is to run to the corner, get the ball and 1. shoot 2. see the defender closing out and pass the ball

for these guys its easy, the offensive system allows them to get the ball in the spots where they are most effective and score which means they will probably shoot a high %

guys like kobe bring the ball up, face several defenders, need to work to get teammates open looks, counted on to bail the team out when the shot clock is winding down, when the offense doesnt work out he is counted on to create something out of nothing, ect.

thats a lot more than just "run to your favorite spot and wait for the ball to come", so maybe there is a reason after all why high usage guards shoot a lower % than post players 

its not like kobe's out there saying "my goal is to shoot 40% this game, any more and i did something wrong" he's trying to shoot 100% like every other player, the shots he has to take are harder to make than a center who gets spoon fed the ball (most of the time kobe is doing the spoon feeding) 

guess cp beat me to the punch 
Yes it is.

Well, can't say 'is', because he hasn't played yet this season.

So we'll see. 
happy.gif

maybe the 44%er has to create a shot off of a broken play when his teammates give him the ball with 3 seconds left :nerd:

maybe the 44%er doesnt care about his percentages and just yolos up a half court shot before a quarter ends :nerd:

Last edited:

Oh, I'm not trying to defend Pau; DONNNEEE with him.

And you bring up Kidd's shooting% every time we do this, when it's obviously the least desirable thing about him, and nowhere close to the something I like about him. No, I don't think you can just leave Kidd open for 3 (he was absolutely one of the ones that busted our head from the perimeter en route to their 2010 title), but overall? Yeah, if a team was to rely on Kidd for scoring in order to win the game... yikes.

I know Kobe's shots are created vs Pau's spoonfed shots, but I'm saying, as far as shooting % goes... 44% from a SG is 4% higher than 40% from a PF/C... period.

So yes, given 100 shots, the 44%er is going to make more of them; 4 more, to be exact.

Given that they're at least marginally in the same vicinity, maybe the 44%er should, possibly, consider, if logic crosses his mind at all... shoot a little less. Not 'shoot never', but just... less.

Then ANOTHER angle is that if his percentage is because his shots are so difficult from having to create them... maybe... make things a little less difficult by... and we've never agreed on this... passing on a few of those baseline fadeaway double team shots.

Like, I wouldn't care for 2 seconds if JR Smith came at me like "Well my percentage is lower than Andrew Bynum's because he dunks, and I have to jack up crazy shots."

Well, stop making your shots so crazy, and shoot less of them. Done and done. 
laugh.gif
wait what? if theres a 44% shooter and a 40% shooter why would the 44% shooter shoot less 
laugh.gif

the thing about this argument is that you have kobe  one guy shooting 44% and any respectable bigman that's not mega soft like pau shooting 50% then yes if they could each take 100 shots kobe would make 44 and not pau would make 50

the thing about basketball is, there is this thing called the other team and 87% of the time the other team plays some sort of defense. By using this magical thing called defense, they are going to limit how many open spoon fed shots not pau can take. The difference is that kobe's job is to also take all the extra shots that come from a guy like not pau not being able to get the ball in the position he wants.

if pau could figure out how to get the ball in his most efficient spot (somewhere in the post) then yes he should be getting more shots than kobe, but that doesnt seem to be the case (lack of effort, defenses defending, ect.)

Doesn't matter?

I've had people tell me 40% is... OUTSTANDING.

The conversation was about someone else, though.
Not sure if you're talking specifically from mid-range or the general field, but 40% from the mid-range, especially at high volume is outstanding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom