Black Culture Discussion Thread

even here in NC mexicans have built communities to where they are prospering and keeping a nice % of money within their community. Just crazy that blacks haven't done that since segregation 

everybody pimping and making money off blacks except blacks. only thing blacks are consistently supporting is these menstrual shows that are on tv
Your right about that. this 7am movie is important because alot of blks dont understand the true essence of money, wealth, and ownership; and how this can lead to true POWER within a community amd INFLUENCE a movement. We celebrate celebs for being high priced EMPLOYEES and say dumb stuff like "yall hatin cuz he/she got money" instead of realize that power and movement comes from ownership. If you own something, you can control it, and pass it down from generation to generation. Don't let celebs like jay-z fool you with when they brag about owning a % of something when jessica alba owns a MAJORITY of a naturally produced baby product company thats about to go public and is forecasted to break a billion. Blk ppl, not all but some, are real quick to sell in the short term.

well it is not that these things aren't understood, it is more that they are not that easily attainable, and this is true of most people...related to this, is that more whites have been able to accrue assets/businesses/wealth for longer, which gave them a headstart/advantage that still exists & compounds even today. i've read that it is likely a big part of the wealth disparity that exists today between blacks & whites; and this makes a difference when try to get loans or investors to build pretty much anything...

the celebrity worship thing is also true of more than just black folk. which may relate to your jessica alba example (its dope that she is building a business, she is/was also a celebrity and a quick search reveals the co-ceo has built a couple of pretty successful online businesses so it is not as though she is singularly building it)...

it is funny to me how in this thread, of which i would presume most the people commenting are of color, the prevailing opinions in this thread about most people of color are negative generalizations, that we lack, especially, "consciousness," that we don't, especially, "understand" things, that we are, especially, "controlled"....basically that we are "especially, gullible...in which case aren't you making the "other side's" argument for them???

alot of people from cali moving in general 
high prices etc 

This is the case for many places

http://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-had-record-mass-exodus-in-2014/

Texas and Florida seems to be the place so many are moving to.

I have mixed feelings about it. I dont see why people should feel entitled to live in certain areas. You cant afford Chicago? You'll have to settle for Illiburbs. Im saying this as someone who cant afford to go to the city I want to live in so bad. Tough luck for me and whoever else cant afford it. Should lambo drop the price of the Aventador because someone cant afford it? The reason these places are getting expensive is because that's what the market is willing to pay for em.

But it still sucks to see your favorite places being taken over by trust fund babies. I live in Chicago and I am from London so I know all too well.

There's plenty of nice predominantly African American neighborhoods in this country.
We shouldn't be surprised at the rise of the Hispanic.
Mexico is a bordering country and it's easy for them to assimilate once in this country.

Had a convo w/ some of my elders and they made me hit the .weebaygif face.

Did anybody peep...that last year they made a black person the POSTER boy for some sort of issue? Poster Boy meaning...no other person got as much or even similar media coverage pertaining to that particular issue.

Domestic Violence - Ray Rice
Child Abuse - Adrian Peterson
Homo Athletes - Jason Collins / Michael Sam / Derrick Gordon
Rape - Bill Cosby
Anti-police radicalism - Brinsley

Bruh come to Chicago where the only thing they ever talk about is how black people are the scum of the earth, we are complete **** for not getting married, family structure is garbage, and if we arent quarantined we will destroy the rest of the US. Even tho I aint racist myself I can see why older generations, regardless of color, are blatant racists.

luckyluchiano luckyluchiano to my knowledge none of them are black.
But I'm sure there are Blacks that are prospering from the trickle down.

Don't have access to tax statements or financial statements to confirm what they do with their money.
It's been proven time and time again that there is literally no such thing.

It's on the same level of stupid as comparing american slavery to African "slavery".

Pet peeve of mine. All those "but africans sold each other out" arguments just show how dumb you are

it is funny to me how in this thread, of which i would presume most the people commenting are of color, the prevailing opinions in this thread about most people of color are negative generalizations, that we lack, especially, "consciousness," that we don't, especially, "understand" things, that we are, especially, "controlled"....basically that we are "especially, gullible...in which case aren't you making the "other side's" argument for them???

I have been trying to say this for the longest, in fact I got banned from liking or commenting on the Humans of New York page because I saw a principal named Ms. Lopez who was doing a great job teaching young black youths that they are kings and queens and their ancestry traces back to royalty and scientist who invented astronomy and various types of maths still used until this day.

I said something along the lines of "Good job Ms. Lopez. I have been saying that black people such address each other as gods and kings so that they would treat each other as such. I call my brothers "Sun" cuz they shine like one (word to GZA)." and I got banned for that.

The only reason people get banned is for saying comments that make others uncomfortable. Me uplifting black children makes others uncomfortable? I then unliked the page since it is so important to them that I dont engage in the conversation before I teach someone how valuable they are.

Last edited:
There's plenty of nice predominantly African American neighborhoods in this country.
We shouldn't be surprised at the rise of the Hispanic.
Mexico is a bordering country and it's easy for them to assimilate once in this country.

Neighborhoods dont equal community, and Mexicans will be classified as white in the future so that is no concern to me what they do when they get to america.

Neighborhoods dont equal community, and Mexicans will be classified as white in the future so that is no concern to me what they do when they get to america.

How so? This aint a "Im not black I am Cuban/Dominican/[Insert Afro-South American Heritage]" thing, they are proud to be labeled hispanic.

Last edited:
luckyluchiano luckyluchiano your trying to do the right thing the wrong way

tokes99 tokes99 your last paragraph was exactly what I noticed as well.
Dudes in here acting as though our people have nothing going for themselves.

sunshineblotters sunshineblotters the trickle down effect works if you know how to work it. Mainstream media will always tell you something doesn't work to keep you from pursuing it.

luckyluchiano luckyluchiano your trying to do the right thing the wrong way

tokes99 tokes99 your last paragraph was exactly what I noticed as well.
Dudes in here acting as though our people have nothing going for themselves.

sunshineblotters sunshineblotters the trickle down effect works if you know how to work it. Mainstream media will always tell you something doesn't work to keep you from pursuing it.

What is it that you assume I am trying to do?

You don't spend much time in mexican communities huh....
I dont care what goes on in mexican communities, has nothing to do with me. What is your point?
Your statement on mexicans being considered white in the future shows an extreme lack of experience within actual mexican communities.

I think you are sort of relating assimilated mexicans to assimilated irish, polish, etc. being shunned at first then accepted as "normal" after time.

Difference being, mexico is right next door, so the identity of "other" is much harder to get rid of even through assimilation.

Last edited:
Your statement on mexicans being considered white in the future shows an extreme lack of experience within actual mexican communities.

I think you are sort of relating assimilated mexicans to assimilated irish, polish, etc. being shunned at first then accepted as "normal" after time.

Difference being, mexico is right next door, so the identity of "other" is much harder to get rid of even through assimilation.

We will see what happens. Even if they classify mexicans as UFOs, still does nothing for me. More power to them, as long as they dont do anything to hinder progress for others.

well it is not that these things aren't understood, it is more that they are not that easily attainable, and this is true of most people...related to this, is that more whites have been able to accrue assets/businesses/wealth for longer, which gave them a headstart/advantage that still exists & compounds even today. i've read that it is likely a big part of the wealth disparity that exists today between blacks & whites; and this makes a difference when try to get loans or investors to build pretty much anything...

the celebrity worship thing is also true of more than just black folk. which may relate to your jessica alba example (its dope that she is building a business, she is/was also a celebrity and a quick search reveals the co-ceo has built a couple of pretty successful online businesses so it is not as though she is singularly building it)...

Considering that we are oppressed ppl in this .. the negative thing that we do unfortunately are magnified and used as propaganda to influence and generalize blks. Im not trying to be negative but alot of blks I KNOW really just dont know or even realize whats going on. Most blks in my circle or ones i met in my lifetime dont know their history. I actually met someone who didnt even know who malcolm x was(Not to say I do know everything cause I dont). You must have a more conscious circle

i think he meant how there are laws in america during jim crow era that allowed them to pass as white. 

i think he meant how there are laws in america during jim crow era that allowed them to pass as white. 

I believe Majority of Mexicans will begin to be considered White, not the immigrants but more so the 2nd-3rd gen that are born in America. Either way this is my opinion, one can agree or disagree either way, has nothing to do with what Blacks need to do in their own circles. I`m done with all this going back and forth about irrelevant issues, if dudes aren't discussing group economics and investment/business plans or strategies please do not quote me or ask me anything because I`m not here to discuss any of that extra stuff. This is me making the general statement to everyone in here.

A 2015 NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION
FOR REDUCING RACIAL DISPARITIES:
“FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!”

..Got to give us what we want
Gotta give us what we need
…We've got to fight the powers that be
…Fight the power
…We've got to fight the powers that be
…From the heart, its a start, a work of art
To revolutionize, make a change, nothins strange
Right on, cmon, what we got to say
Power to the people, no delay
…Fight the power
…We've got to fight the powers that be”
-Public Enemy-
Recently, the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Social Work released Ralph Bangs’ report, Pittsburgh’s Racial Demographics 2015: Differences and Disparities. The Executive Summary is loaded with depressing details describing Pittsburgh’s racial disparities. For example, the report notes that [1] “…Preschool enrollment rates are much higher in the city of Pittsburgh than in the nation. However, racial disparities in preschool enrollment are greater in Pittsburgh than in the nation…;” [2] “…One-third of Blacks, one-quarter of Hispanics, one-fifth of Asians, and 15% of Whites live in poverty in the city of Pittsburgh…:” [3] “…Black and Hispanic unemployment rates are much higher than White and Asian rates in the Pittsburgh area and the nation…;” and [4] “…All of the juvenile murder victims in the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County in 2012 were Black. The majority of juvenile murder victims in the nation were White…”

More troubling than the voluminous negative findings related to Pittsburgh’s African Americans is the fact that Ralph Bangs’ produced the first report in 2007 and there has not been significant change since then! In short, there is a plethora of documentation regarding Pittsburgh being a “tale of several cities” –a city where people of color have long suffered in a funk while others annually celebrate with a “Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival.” The racial disparities reminds one of the lyrics,
“He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot
And goodness knows, he didn't want a lot
…In the street, he envies all those lucky boys
Then wanders home to last year's broken toys
I'm so sorry for that laddie, he hasn't got a daddy
The little boy that Santa Claus forgot…”
http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-little-boy-that-santa-claus-forgot-lyrics-nat-king-cole.html
When it comes to explaining why shocking racial disparities persist in Pittsburgh and elsewhere, it does little good to restate W.E. B. DuBois’ famous statement, “The problem of the 20th Century, is the problem of the color-Line” nor add that “racism is alive and well in the 21st century.” Instead, maybe part of the problem of the 21st Century is that we too often have “do nothing individuals” in a “do nothing society” mimicking a “do nothing Congress.” In that regard, consider a view posted by Courtland Milloy.
Milloy’s January 14, 2015 Washington Post article states, “What if African Americans were as politically unified as our racial attitudes make us appear to be? Suppose, for instance, we did more than believe that racial discrimination exists but actually used our political and economic muscle to remedy race-specific problems? There are 42 million African Americans in this country with a combined purchasing power expected to hit $1.1 trillion this year… And yet, African Americans spent much of 2014 on bended knee — pleading for justice, crying for jobs, begging for equal treatment… …the resources at our disposal are enormous, if not always used most effectively. …Black-owned businesses are the second largest employer of black people, next to the federal government. But only 7 percent of small businesses are owned by blacks. How unfortunate that the president must go hat in hand to Corporate America, asking for $200 million to help black men and boys stay in school and get jobs. …At the very least, we could stop expecting people who hate us to save us.”
To be sure, a valid reading of history demonstrates that, at times, African Americans not only made effective uses of resources “at our disposal,” but often did so when we had to “make a way out of no way,” when everything surrounding us said “turn back” but we “kept pressing on!” Folks were not begging but demanding during [1] the slave rebellions; [2] marches such as those from Selma to Montgomery; [3] “sit ins” at segregated facilities throughout the South; [4] voter registration drives; [5] boycotts of segregated buses, etc. Nevertheless, some of Milloy’s above statements might be applicable today.
It might well be the case that, in some sectors of America, some African Americans are not mindful of Fannie Lou Hamer’s declaration, "You can pray until you faint, but unless you get up and try to do something, God is not going to put it in your lap." We can, for example, continue to protest loudly the circumstances of Ferguson, but if the Ferguson African Americans “don’t get up off their knees” and do something, i.e., [1] develop a sophisticated understanding of political processes; [2] build coalitions with others; [3] register and actually vote, [4] prepare candidates to run for elective office; and [5] use the ballot to bring about strategic changes, then disparities could become worse.
The continuation of racial disparities across America could emanate in part because some African Americans have ignored the following advice from Frederick Douglass: “Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reform. The whole history of the progress of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august claims have been born of earnest struggle. The conflict has been exciting, agitating, all-absorbing, and for the time being, putting all other tumults to silence. It must do this or it does nothing. If there is no struggle there is no progress… Power concedes nothing without a demand.”

Nationally, an illustration of successfully “fighting the powers that be” came when African Americans demanded and got cancelled the raunchy, degrading, stereotypical VH1 show, “Sorority Sisters.” Initially, VH1 was adamant that the show would not be cancelled. However, an unwavering struggle led to the removal of an offensive show that insulted members of African American sororities and constituted a blasphemous attack on African American gender, sexuality, and humanity in general. By contrast, a similar fight has not taken place with “Black-ish” and it is most unfortunate that some mis-guided African Americans seem to enjoy “Black-ish” as years ago others enjoyed “Amos ‘n’ Andy.”
Given the history of tearing asunder African Americans’ self- images, how dare anyone televise a show that mocks positive efforts to develop African American pride and self-determination by way of their collective identity as was done on January 15, 2015 when the episode mocked the manner in which some middle-class African Americans celebrate the King Holiday? Indeed it is problematic when any group’s collective identity is the basis for public ridicule and, hence, one is not likely to witness shows called “WASP-ish,” “White-ish,” “Jew-ish,” “Islam-ish,” or “Christian-Ish.” In any event, the main point herein is that “Black-ish” will continue unless a “Sorority Sisters” type struggle is waged.
Returning to the most recent Pittsburgh report on racial disparities, major change will not occur unless African Americans along with significant others “fight the powers that be.” Imagine what could happen if an effective coalition [1] demanded that the City of Pittsburgh form the “Council to Eliminate Racial Disparities;” [2] insured that the “Council’s” representation came from key segments of the public, private and community sectors; [3] made sure that the “Council” established strategic goals, specific objectives, tactics, timetables, and accountability for realizing significant reductions of the disparities, and [4] “24-7” moved the “Council’s” agenda with City, State, business, educational and other leaders.
Success would surely come from the above “Coalition” as it did when an effective Pittsburgh coalition eventually got Foundations and others to save the August Wilson Center for African American Culture. The proper coalitions can contribute to the Lower Hill District of Pittsburgh becoming a 21st Century model of economic transformation much like what took place under Maynard Jackson in Atlanta and in Washington D.C. under “Mayor for Life” Marion Barry. Similar efforts could lead to “One Allentown,” “One Altoona,” “One Chester,” “One Erie,” “One Harrisburg,” “One Johnstown, ” “One Philadelphia,” “One Pittsburgh,” “One Pennsylvania,” and eventually “One United States of America.” It all comes down to the commitment to struggling effectively over time as illustrated in the movie “Selma.”
Watching “Selma,” I was reminded of “back in the day” (1960s) when my colleagues and I at Pitt were not only angry but also aggressively articulating goals for changing racial disparities at Pitt. We not only protested but also planned detailed implementation steps.
We readied ourselves by reading extensively the works of Frantz Fanon, Audre Lorde, Malcolm X, Sojourner Truth, W.E.B. DuBois, Mary Church Terrell, Ntozake Shange, LeRoy Jones, Marcus Garvey, Gwendolyn Brooks, and many others.
We adhered to the advice of our elder K. Leroy Irvis, the first African American Speaker of the House in Pennsylvania, who explained to us that we couldn’t “go it alone,” that building coalitions not cursing was key to his accomplishments for the most important legislation that impacted Pitt in general (State-related status in 1966) and African Americans in particular (Act 101 Program for disadvantaged students).
We approached the Pitt administration with neither “hat-in-hand” nor on “bended knees” but standing upright and delivering a set of demands we were determined to have met.
We partnered with the people, the “grass roots,” instead of behaving as if they had given us some signatory authority to speak for them.
“Selma” reminded me that we too got tired and how we were uplifted by freedom songs. For those who continue “to fight the powers that be” as well as those willing to return from the comfort of the sidelines, “Selma’s” sound track should surely serve the same purpose.
“…Freedom is like religion to us
Justice is juxtaposition in us
Justice for all just ain't specific enough
One son died, his spirit is revisitin' us
…resistance is us
That's why Rosa sat on the bus
That's why we walked through Ferguson with our hands up
…Now the war is not over
Victory isn't won
And we'll fight on to the finish
Then when it's all done
We'll cry glory, oh glory…
It takes the wisdom of the elders and young people's energy
Welcome to the story we call victory…”
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnlegend/glory.html

In sum, there must be no more simply reporting of facts regarding racial disparities! We must resolve to relentlessly attack these disparities as Congresswoman Barbara Lee is doing with her H.R. 3300 designed to cut poverty in half within a decade. In introducing her bill, she stated, “Americans all across the country are struggling.” “It is clear that our policies and programs addressing poverty have not kept pace with the growing needs of millions of Americans. It is time we make the commitment to confront poverty head-on...” http://lee.house.gov/newsroom/press...gislation-to-cut-poverty-in-half-in-ten-years
And confront head on we must if we are to be free!

Jack L. Daniel
Co-Founder, Freed Panther Society
PUM Contributor

January 22, 2015

http://pittsburghurbanmedia.com/A-2...-Racial-Disparities-Fight-the-Powers-That-Be/

I don't have either, not sure what that has to do with this thread.

Well, let's start with some group economics practices then. We have to show what can be done with it, and the great benefits to be derived. I was supposed to send out an email to many of the regulars in here that I never got around to doing. I will get that out tonight, no fail. But maybe we can set something up among ourselves in order to purchase something or put on some type of event. Let's show skeptics the power in it, and it will also give us good practice in making this more efficient for when we actually up the ante.

But as far as I'm concerned (not addressing this to anyone but me), I feel like there's way too much talking. We have to build and build NOW. Even if it fails, let's take those beginning steps now. Too much stagnancy for this much dialogue.

This is an old thread from another site I use to rome...

Basically talkin' about integration and the effects

Read through all the pages if you have the time (or nothing else goin' on) a decent discussion

http://community.allhiphop.com/disc...le-into-a-burning-house-martin-luther-king-jr

Great points like how blacks in America often get compared to other minorities that already had their own native languages and cultures that allowed them to integrate and still have a sense of unity while blacks with no sense of their own culture were integrated with the dominant society that already disapproved with their existence

Was gonna post in the MLK thread but I didn't want to seem like I was trying to kill the vibe

Well, let's start with some group economics practices then. We have to show what can be done with it, and the great benefits to be derived. I was supposed to send out an email to many of the regulars in here that I never got around to doing. I will get that out tonight, no fail. But maybe we can set something up among ourselves in order to purchase something or put on some type of event. Let's show skeptics the power in it, and it will also give us good practice in making this more efficient for when we actually up the ante.

But as far as I'm concerned (not addressing this to anyone but me), I feel like there's way too much talking. We have to build and build NOW. Even if it fails, let's take those beginning steps now. Too much stagnancy for this much dialogue.

IMO, first thing to do is find people you know with the same mentality as you, if you don't know anyone then start with yourself. Look at your monthly income and create a budget, look at the money you do not spend on bills or debt, and set a side a realistic # of disposable income. With that disposable income you and the group of people you put together can form a "pot", each month pay "dues" or such, or if you are solo pay yourself this amount into some type of an account you don't touch. While stacking this money put together realistic short term and long term goals in how you can use this money to create revenue, doesn't have to be a huge stream, but anything where you have money coming back in is a start. You can use that money to pop off some kind of small business,invest in land/real estate/precious metals, etc.

Another thing to do is look at everything you spend money on monthly, once you see where your money goes every month, try to find a black business who provides those goods/services in your area, even if you have to travel to the next county, refer everyone you know to these businesses/services too. Also take note of the services/goods you were not able to find a black alternative for and research would it takes to start one of those businesses/enter that market, if it is something that interests you pursue it.

The big key is creating a budget, and tracking where your money goes, once you see where your money goes you won't have the excuse of saying "Im broke, I can't do anything", because you can cut off the culprits eating up your income.

I always say create a chain/priority list of where you spend your money.

My priority list is 1.Black Owned, 2.Local Owned, 3.Major Corp.

So what that means is when I need something I first look for the Black owned option, if I can't find a black owned option then I seek out at least something locally owned, if I can't find that then only then will I go to a major chain for something.

Last edited:
B8ElQlFCYAI_hHh.png

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...how-solve-black-male-teacher-shortage-n199471

Back
Top Bottom