Bars making rules to not allow black ppl in unappreciation

The Zoo?! WMU alum here.

Which bar was it? There are a few near campus that were notorious for this back when I was there. One even went so far as to post on the door that they're not shooting a rap video there.

I remember I got denied once because my jeans were "name brand", per the bouncer. I just took the L and dipped--no need to patronize establishments like that, IMO.

It was at wildbull downtown. The club that dude wouldn't let you im because of your pants was firehouse or Wayside I bet. I think alot of people in this thread really have poor comprehension skill. Shorts are allowed to be worn in this bar. That's why I wore them. I had on cargo shorts and a ralph lauren Olympic polo, not capri pants , 5x tall tee and a fitted. Just some shorts and a fitted polo. I wasn't dressed like a metro sexual but I also wasn't dressed like dem franchize boys either

:rofl:

I thought that you were from that Dressing Better thread, and I was spot on. I don't know who you are though, and I didn't know that you were actually European. I wasn't implying homosexuality either, although it is funny that you automatically thought that when I used the term "European". That makes my statement about the European pantsuit even more hilarious. :rofl:

Nah, I was just referring to you, not all Europeans.

Thanks for the laugh

? I don't have the energy to go back and search through all your bull@#$% posts, but you always come in with the "gay European" quotes in every thread. Don't even try to act slick about it. If I start posting "hood black people" , "frail Asians", "white devil", etc, in all of my posts, and that's the only time I refer to them, what does that tell you about what I think about them? "Gay European" is a typical American stereotype about Europeans/recent immigrants and descendants of Europeans. @#$% is always in the media, people have Euro trash themed parties (this happened at my college), etc. You bring that up all the time and then try to play it off like it wasn't anything.

Not even sure what the rolling smileys are about. I rarely hit up the DB thread, and I don't dress like those DB dudes for the most part, but I don't go out of my way to bring up their name in every post I make on NT just to make myself sound superior. Congrats on making yourself laugh though

Last edited:
The Zoo?! WMU alum here.

Which bar was it? There are a few near campus that were notorious for this back when I was there. One even went so far as to post on the door that they're not shooting a rap video there.

I remember I got denied once because my jeans were "name brand", per the bouncer. I just took the L and dipped--no need to patronize establishments like that, IMO.
It was at wildbull downtown. The club that dude wouldn't let you im because of your pants was firehouse or Wayside I bet. I think alot of people in this thread really have poor comprehension skill. Shorts are allowed to be worn in this bar. That's why I wore them. I had on cargo shorts and a ralph lauren Olympic polo, not capri pants , 5x tall tee and a fitted. Just some shorts and a fitted polo. I wasn't dressed like a metro sexual but I also wasn't dressed like dem franchize boys either
Never heard of the Wildbull---must be a newer spot, although I haven't been out in Kzoo in about 2 years.  Last new spot I got dragged to was called Monaco or some **** like that.  GARBAGE.    

And you're absolutely correct man--Firehouse was the spot.  Kinda ironic that a spot called Firehouse burned down though, huh?  
laugh.gif

Wayside used to show love actually.  I got in a bit of trouble there when I was 21--leaned over the main bar and grabbed a fifth of Goldschlager (why that, I'll never know) and tried to dip out with it in my pocket right at closing time.  NOPE.  
mean.gif
  Got banned from there for like 6 months until I went in during the day and chopped it up with one of the managers.  Dude was mad cool, accepted my apology and gave me a handful of free passes, and ever since that day, they would hook me and the homies up with free VIP passes and all that.  Granted, we were there every damn Wed. and Sat. night, but they didn't have to do all that for a dude who tried to boost their liquor.  

Lmao at that story. Monaco is connected to wildbull. That whole building has like 4 different clubs inside and you they're all owned by the same person. You brought up some good memories. Back in the day we used to wild out at Wayside. So many yambs use to be gotten in that parking lot

Lmao at that story. Monaco is connected to wildbull. That whole building has like 4 different clubs inside and you they're all owned by the same person. You brought up some good memories. Back in the day we used to wild out at Wayside. So many yambs use to be gotten in that parking lot
And that sir, is precisely why I went there and apologized.  Way too easy there.  
laugh.gif

Were you in Kzoo during the Kegger's and Bourbon St. years?  

Clothes don't make the man tho, that is something that a lot of you don't seem to understand. Just because you have on a suit and tie, doesn't mean that you are some respectable figure and just because you are wearing some comfortable clothes, doesn't mean that you are disreputable. You don't automatically become an adult by wearing small fitting clothes and shopping at Bergdorf Goodman.

No one is claiming any of the things you just said

You claimed it in your last post.You didn't say this?

"I can understand if you're chilling with the homies and you wear a fitted, but if you go out, you should dress like an adult."

Obviously that implies that a certain style of dress designates someone as an "adult".

Last edited:
:rofl:

I thought that you were from that Dressing Better thread, and I was spot on. I don't know who you are though, and I didn't know that you were actually European. I wasn't implying homosexuality either, although it is funny that you automatically thought that when I used the term "European". That makes my statement about the European pantsuit even more hilarious. :rofl:

Nah, I was just referring to you, not all Europeans.

Thanks for the laugh

? I don't have the energy to go back and search through all your bull@#$% posts, but you always come in with the "gay European" quotes in every thread. Don't even try to act slick about it. If I start posting "hood black people" , "frail Asians", "white devil", etc, in all of my posts, and that's the only time I refer to them, what does that tell you about what I think about them? "Gay European" is a typical American stereotype about Europeans/recent immigrants and descendants of Europeans. @#$% is always in the media, people have Euro trash themed parties (this happened at my college), etc. You bring that up all the time and then try to play it off like it wasn't anything.

Not even sure what the rolling smileys are about. I rarely hit up the DB thread, and I don't dress like those DB dudes for the most part, but I don't go out of my way to bring up their name in every post I make on NT just to make myself sound superior. Congrats on making yourself laugh though

Sounds like you have an unhealthy obsession with me. Get off my ****.

If you are hitting a club you really shouldn't be wearing shorts unless its more a college scene. I haven't been to many places that allow shorts tho.

but clubs def do have rules that seem geared towards preventing minorities from going into different locations
I've straight up went to a club last week that didn't let my homie and I in. we didn't even fight that **** and just went somewhere else.

but dress to impress!!!

i've never been able to wear a hat inside a club (not a bar) no matter what the brim looked like

(for example) those same clubs will force an 80 year old to produce id at the door or no go, just in case there's violence inside - the cops can (more easily) identify everyone, even the 80 year old

Last edited:
If you are hitting a club you really shouldn't be wearing shorts unless its more a college scene. I haven't been to many places that allow shorts tho.

but clubs def do have rules that seem geared towards preventing minorities from going into different locations
I've straight up went to a club last week that didn't let my homie and I in. we didn't even fight that **** and just went somewhere else.

but dress to impress!!!

All of Kalamazoo, MI (where this happened) is a college scene. Homie wasn't out of place at all wearing shorts. The colleges there pretty much are what the city is known for--it's a true definition of a college town.

some people in this thread are confusing bars and clubs...

either way i avoid places with dress codes...

Last edited:
Black Cop Suing Lucky Strike for Discriminatory Door Policy

This photo pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Lucky Strike. A twenty-year NYPD veteran is suing the upscale Westside bowling "lounge" Lucky Strike, which he says barred him from entry because of his race. Officer Aubrey Henry claims that when he tried to attend a friend's birthday party on February 27th (post-snowstorm), the bouncers refused to admit him because he was wearing hiking boots. But Henry insists it wasn't the boots, it was his blackness, telling the Daily News, "I thought it was a joke, I couldn't believe it. We're going bowling! You take your shoes off when you go bowling."
Furthermore, while Lucky Strike's dress code prohibits "construction boots," Henry was wearing Nike ACG boots. "They're high-top sneakers!" he tells the News. "It's not even listed on the dress code!" His friend Karen Jemmott futilely pleaded with management to admit Henry, pointing out white patrons with boots similar to Henry's. "They were hitting us with balls of racism and hatred," Jemmott says. "That night, no one cared what we had to say. They were so busy being racist that logic didn't matter."
In a statement, Lucky Strike stood by the decision, insisting the dress code "is applied in a fair, professional and evenhanded manner. We have been in touch with Karen and Aubrey and have extended an offer to have them back as our guests." Instead, Henry is filing a lawsuit today, and his lawyer says, "They used a dress code as a pretext to discriminate against black people." The most appalling part of all this? Jemmott, the birthday girl, paid $600 to reserve a lane for two hours!
Contact the author of this article or email [email protected] with further questions, comments or tips.
By John Del Signore in News on March 16, 2010 10:32 AM

http://gothamist.com/2010/03/16/black_cop_suing_lucky_strike_for_di.php

This photo pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Lucky Strike. A twenty-year NYPD veteran is suing the upscale Westside bowling "lounge" Lucky Strike, which he says barred him from entry because of his race. Officer Aubrey Henry claims that when he tried to attend a friend's birthday party on February 27th (post-snowstorm), the bouncers refused to admit him because he was wearing hiking boots. But Henry insists it wasn't the boots, it was his blackness, telling the Daily News, "I thought it was a joke, I couldn't believe it. We're going bowling! You take your shoes off when you go bowling."
Furthermore, while Lucky Strike's dress code prohibits "construction boots," Henry was wearing Nike ACG boots. "They're high-top sneakers!" he tells the News. "It's not even listed on the dress code!" His friend Karen Jemmott futilely pleaded with management to admit Henry, pointing out white patrons with boots similar to Henry's. "They were hitting us with balls of racism and hatred," Jemmott says. "That night, no one cared what we had to say. They were so busy being racist that logic didn't matter."
In a statement, Lucky Strike stood by the decision, insisting the dress code "is applied in a fair, professional and evenhanded manner. We have been in touch with Karen and Aubrey and have extended an offer to have them back as our guests." Instead, Henry is filing a lawsuit today, and his lawyer says, "They used a dress code as a pretext to discriminate against black people." The most appalling part of all this? Jemmott, the birthday girl, paid $600 to reserve a lane for two hours!
Contact the author of this article or email [email protected] with further questions, comments or tips.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/120788/wale-********-o.gif

word,

even though I know better, I hate that hat rule.
white boys are in the club with college hats, bent brim, dirty and tattered.
you go with a fitted straight from the store and get denied.

Yep!

And what's up with this fashion policy considering no shorts? Casual shorts are bad why exactly? See this is why I don't really mess with clubs/bars. Things are so weird at times. I get not wearing shorts to a funeral. A wedding or a special formal event. But the damn club where people are coming to get plastered and have one night stands. :lol: classy environment is classy.

:lol: they tried to invite him back after the fact? Man these places are something else. Why would someone WANT to come back after feeling they were treated unfairly due their race?

Dress code for a bar? I thought at bars you can come as is. Isn't the point of going to a bar is to get washed with friends.
If I wanted a more formal social setting ide go to a lounge. If I wanted to dance ide go to a club.

Went out Saturday to rooftop bar here in Denver that my friends and I have been going to since it opened. Got to the front of the line and was told that if I wanted to get in I had to take out my earring. This earring isn't a boulder like Cam use to wear just a small, diamond stud. Need less to say I just said 'screw you' to the bouncer and left. Never going back to the Viewhouse again.

They have dress codes at bars by me. I wasn't allowed in if my hat wasn't straight forward or straight backwards.

They also can not play rap music at 2 bars by me because there were mutilple fights and apparently rap music is to blame. It was more then a fight though 2 people were stabbed. But I know a DJ there and he has a list of rap songs he can play and a quota of them too. Lets just say its a lot of Mr Worlwide...

lmao @ the bent-brim vs. straight brim agenda

It's absolutely ridiculous.

I've also been to spots where the bouncers make you pull up your shirt to make sure your pants aren't belted or tied up just to get through the door. Instead, they need to be fitted to your waist.

You claimed it in your last post.You didn't say this?

"I can understand if you're chilling with the homies and you wear a fitted, but if you go out, you should dress like an adult."

Obviously that implies that a certain style of dress designates someone as an "adult".

I don't think dressing like an adult designates someone an adult. Does the toddler who wears a suit to a wedding mean to be an adult? Do I mean to be a child when I am wearing shorts and a tank top to the grocery store?

My point is, when you go out to a restaurant/club/bar/lounge, don't wear a fitted and shorts that go to your calves. Dress like you care. I've never said anything about that standard being European pant suits or shopping at Bergdorf Goodman or wearing small-fitting clothes. You sound like you have some issues with the way certain groups of people dress. My standard of not looking like a clown simply entails not looking like a clown when you're out. I'm not specifying what people should be wearing because I think there are infinite ways to look respectable, and like an adult.

I don't know if you're on some counter-culture tip where you're promoting people dressing like clowns to be subversive, but I think all parties gain when people leave their fitted caps and calf-length capris at home when they're out at a dining/hospitality establishment.

Last edited:
lmao @ the bent-brim vs. straight brim agenda

It's absolutely ridiculous.

I've also been to spots where the bouncers make you pull up your shirt to make sure your pants aren't belted or tied up just to get through the door. Instead, they need to be fitted to your waist.
This one club here thats closed now used to make "certain people" pull their shirts up to check your pants too :smh:

Back
Top Bottom