As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

Most idiotic threads ever. As you mature you realize things like politics and religion are personal matters and should seldom be discussed.
So maybe dude aint mature yet.  Funny thing is he bashes ppl for religion and their beliefs but he is tryna convince us to BELIEVE him, then he won't bash us right? f outta here bro, go back to ur hole. 

Where are you from, OP? I know plenty of black, hispanic, israeli, arab people who aren't social outcasts.
My mom is Brazilian and my dad is Italian, ALL of my family members on both sides are super religious and none have ever cared about me not being the same way :/
Maybe New York really does make people more open minded
eek.gif

Where are you from, OP? I know plenty of black, hispanic, israeli, arab people who aren't social outcasts.
My mom is Brazilian and my dad is Italian, ALL of my family members on both sides are super religious and none have ever cared about me not being the same way :/
eek.gif

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

just wondering is there a difference between white atheist's and black atheists? 
eek.gif
maybe even mexican atheists!

indifferent.gif

Its not the point.
You probably don't get it either.

The black community has no other social scene other than the church. 

The Church is so integral the lives of black people that without it, many people would simply cease to exist mentally. 

Ask any politician how is the best way to reach his black voters and he'll tell you, through their churches.

I simply said "Black Atheist" as a means of presenting myself as someone with a different perspective on a community which largely has no secular representatives. 

kilojules64 wrote:
eek.gif

The south.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a social outcast...not by any means...  
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
 ... I just know better than to discuss religion in my personal circles... Its easier...and safer (
tired.gif
) to do it online. 

ChiefWiggum wrote:
Most idiotic threads ever. As you mature you realize things like politics and religion are personal matters and should seldom be discussed.

I'd rather nip ideas that tend to kill people and divide people in the bud early on. An exaggeration? Perhaps. A reality? Definitely. I can't fight the war on drugs but I damn sure can help people to free themselves from religion and/or a belief in a God. Its funny how its the same people in here speaking against me but not against my ideas. Thats really the only way to as you put it "maturely" address something. Separate the person from the stance and then we have something to discuss. Until then, you're not really in a position to make a meaningful statement.
You don't see anyone protesting christian appreciations or muslim appreciation threads right? I'm just as within my right to discuss my views. In fact I haven't really spoken down to anyone yet in this thread. 

I'm sure that discussing whether or not black should be able to use the same toilet as you shouldn't be discussed either right?  

Its the internet for goodness sake. The PRIME place to spread ideas and to express oneself. If you disagree so much, why don't you present an argument or rather address directly what i've said. Directly attacking my position does nothing...read NOTHING for you or anyone else. 

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

just wondering is there a difference between white atheist's and black atheists? 
eek.gif
maybe even mexican atheists!

indifferent.gif

Its not the point.
You probably don't get it either.

The black community has no other social scene other than the church. 

The Church is so integral the lives of black people that without it, many people would simply cease to exist mentally. 

Ask any politician how is the best way to reach his black voters and he'll tell you, through their churches.

I simply said "Black Atheist" as a means of presenting myself as someone with a different perspective on a community which largely has no secular representatives. 

kilojules64 wrote:
eek.gif

The south.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a social outcast...not by any means...  
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
 ... I just know better than to discuss religion in my personal circles... Its easier...and safer (
tired.gif
) to do it online. 

ChiefWiggum wrote:

I'd rather nip ideas that tend to kill people and divide people in the bud early on. An exaggeration? Perhaps. A reality? Definitely. I can't fight the war on drugs but I damn sure can help people to free themselves from religion and/or a belief in a God. Its funny how its the same people in here speaking against me but not against my ideas. Thats really the only way to as you put it "maturely" address something. Separate the person from the stance and then we have something to discuss. Until then, you're not really in a position to make a meaningful statement.
You don't see anyone protesting christian appreciations or muslim appreciation threads right? I'm just as within my right to discuss my views. In fact I haven't really spoken down to anyone yet in this thread. 

I'm sure that discussing whether or not black should be able to use the same toilet as you shouldn't be discussed either right?  

Its the internet for goodness sake. The PRIME place to spread ideas and to express oneself. If you disagree so much, why don't you present an argument or rather address directly what i've said. Directly attacking my position does nothing...read NOTHING for you or anyone else. 

The blurb you copied from Reddit is very interesting. Especially the part that touches on why many people of faith react negatively to atheism - that the realization of time & life wasted is very, very hard to swallow.

Personally, I had a Christian upbringing but have dropped pretty much everything about religion from my life. The thing I really try very hard to do is to live my life like I will disappear forever tomorrow (not just die).

Even though I try to live this way, I still kind of wish that maybe, just maybe something that I can't comprehend with my senses will be revealed to me upon my death. However, since I can't comprehend it right now, there is no point to even consider whether it exists at this stage, and I should live THIS life like it doesn't.

The blurb you copied from Reddit is very interesting. Especially the part that touches on why many people of faith react negatively to atheism - that the realization of time & life wasted is very, very hard to swallow.

Personally, I had a Christian upbringing but have dropped pretty much everything about religion from my life. The thing I really try very hard to do is to live my life like I will disappear forever tomorrow (not just die).

Even though I try to live this way, I still kind of wish that maybe, just maybe something that I can't comprehend with my senses will be revealed to me upon my death. However, since I can't comprehend it right now, there is no point to even consider whether it exists at this stage, and I should live THIS life like it doesn't.

Good passage posted earlier, and for anyone who read it shoud have gotten something from it. I understand where you are coming from as being a black atheist in the south. Continue with your discussion, it is helping some escape from the systematic mind control we call religion.

Good passage posted earlier, and for anyone who read it shoud have gotten something from it. I understand where you are coming from as being a black atheist in the south. Continue with your discussion, it is helping some escape from the systematic mind control we call religion.

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

The south.

Aha. The south is really a mystery to me, apart from going to SC to play golf with my dad I've never experienced southern culture. At all
embarassed.gif

The south.

Aha. The south is really a mystery to me, apart from going to SC to play golf with my dad I've never experienced southern culture. At all
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Yeah its the hardest pill to swallow. Thats why I have these discussions. 
Add in some more information from a decent science education...and you're basically with the realization that no matter how much you wish things to happen, they wont. 

The only reason that we expect something after death is because someone told us. It doesn't make it any more true. 

Learn to embrace humanity and to live your life to the fullest NOW. There isn't an afterlife. 

steve steve nash wrote:

I'm glad you could get something from it. 
Find something you like and share it. Thats the point of these threads.

kilojules64 wrote:
Dame Theory wrote:
The south.

embarassed.gif

I don't live in any rural area either... Its just that people are so...BLIND some times to other realities and even other ideas...its just pointless sometimes to even try and have discussions with close friends and associates for fear of pushing them away. I do have an emotional connection to some of these people... even family so it makes it very hard to have gotten to this conclusion and still feel surrounded by people who cry out to something that isn't there. 

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Yeah its the hardest pill to swallow. Thats why I have these discussions. 
Add in some more information from a decent science education...and you're basically with the realization that no matter how much you wish things to happen, they wont. 

The only reason that we expect something after death is because someone told us. It doesn't make it any more true. 

Learn to embrace humanity and to live your life to the fullest NOW. There isn't an afterlife. 

steve steve nash wrote:

I'm glad you could get something from it. 
Find something you like and share it. Thats the point of these threads.

kilojules64 wrote:
Dame Theory wrote:
The south.

embarassed.gif

I don't live in any rural area either... Its just that people are so...BLIND some times to other realities and even other ideas...its just pointless sometimes to even try and have discussions with close friends and associates for fear of pushing them away. I do have an emotional connection to some of these people... even family so it makes it very hard to have gotten to this conclusion and still feel surrounded by people who cry out to something that isn't there. 

you're really starting to sound like a broken record.

we get it, you dislike religion and so called god. a lot of us feel the same (myself included) but don't make it our mission to make a post every %!+##%$ week about.

we get it, you dislike religion and so called god. a lot of us feel the same (myself included) but don't make it our mission to make a post every %!+##%$ week about.

I avoid it, too, even though my friends and family are accepting. The other day one of my close friends told that he didn't believe in evolution, or that the universe/multiverse could possibly have come from anything but God. I'm a PHYSICS major, it pained me to keep my mouth shut, but it's one of those things that I'm extremely passionate about, and so is he. It's very hard to have a passionate discussion about science v. God without it getting ugly, fast
ohwell.gif

I avoid it, too, even though my friends and family are accepting. The other day one of my close friends told that he didn't believe in evolution, or that the universe/multiverse could possibly have come from anything but God. I'm a PHYSICS major, it pained me to keep my mouth shut, but it's one of those things that I'm extremely passionate about, and so is he. It's very hard to have a passionate discussion about science v. God without it getting ugly, fast
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

There are new faces posting in this thread EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I wish I could take a screen-shot of my inbox and show you the support that people are secretly looking for and want to learn more about what it is to not believe. People often are on the border line of what they think and I like to just show them that its OK to not believe and in fact, you might be better off because of it.

I'm just reaching out to people who have these thoughts on their mind but don't have communities to discuss it in...much like myself. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd even be an atheist (I was agnostic for a good while).  And it feels damn good to be here. 

If you don't like it, don't comment. If you think its the same party don't respond to the invitation. 

Originally Posted by CWrite78

There are new faces posting in this thread EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I wish I could take a screen-shot of my inbox and show you the support that people are secretly looking for and want to learn more about what it is to not believe. People often are on the border line of what they think and I like to just show them that its OK to not believe and in fact, you might be better off because of it.

I'm just reaching out to people who have these thoughts on their mind but don't have communities to discuss it in...much like myself. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd even be an atheist (I was agnostic for a good while).  And it feels damn good to be here. 

If you don't like it, don't comment. If you think its the same party don't respond to the invitation. 

Originally Posted by kilojules64

ohwell.gif
You know my pain. I'm was a science major and I often had to avoid blowing up on people out of respect for their sheer stupidity and antiquated thoughts about not only other religions but other people in less fortunate socioeconomic situations.
I'm what you'd call a Secular Humanist. Atheists can be racists if they want, they just don't believe in God. 

There are many many times where we feel like we have to push rationale to the side to accomodate ideals in which people are really and truly deluded. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers, but its trying to learn more about what it doesn't know. Anything that claims to have the final, undebatable truth, especially in spite of new and competing evidence, is a dangerous institution and needs not to be respected intellectually in any realm. 

I've had to learn to painfully ignore the ignorance of my closest friends and associates at times just to co-exist. 

Originally Posted by kilojules64

ohwell.gif
You know my pain. I'm was a science major and I often had to avoid blowing up on people out of respect for their sheer stupidity and antiquated thoughts about not only other religions but other people in less fortunate socioeconomic situations.
I'm what you'd call a Secular Humanist. Atheists can be racists if they want, they just don't believe in God. 

There are many many times where we feel like we have to push rationale to the side to accomodate ideals in which people are really and truly deluded. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers, but its trying to learn more about what it doesn't know. Anything that claims to have the final, undebatable truth, especially in spite of new and competing evidence, is a dangerous institution and needs not to be respected intellectually in any realm. 

I've had to learn to painfully ignore the ignorance of my closest friends and associates at times just to co-exist. 

I'm what you'd call a [color= rgb(255, 51, 153)]Secular Humanist[/color]. Atheists can be racists if they want, they just don't believe in God. 

This is really interesting to me. I've always had the desire to explore the unknown, it's why I went into science, but beyond that the search for truth doesn't interest me. I don't know how to describe it, but I just feel so caught up in the moment that I have no type of spirituality at all. I guess it could be because I'm so young and my life is basically still a whirlwind? Maybe I was disillusioned by contentment growing up? Or maybe I am an anomaly and have no left brain
eek.gif

I'm what you'd call a [color= rgb(255, 51, 153)]Secular Humanist[/color]. Atheists can be racists if they want, they just don't believe in God. 

This is really interesting to me. I've always had the desire to explore the unknown, it's why I went into science, but beyond that the search for truth doesn't interest me. I don't know how to describe it, but I just feel so caught up in the moment that I have no type of spirituality at all. I guess it could be because I'm so young and my life is basically still a whirlwind? Maybe I was disillusioned by contentment growing up? Or maybe I am an anomaly and have no left brain
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom