As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

would half you dudes even have your atheist mind-sets if it wasn't for the internet?

would half you dudes even have your atheist mind-sets if it wasn't for the internet?

Originally Posted by Grimey

LOL you say that like it's a bad thing.
"Would guys even question religion if it weren't for information?"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The black church was a pillar in the movement, I suspect Op knows this though. As far as it's relevance in the African American community, it IS the African American community. Black Panthers with their private funding of neighborhood church programs, Nation of Islam, and other different forms of religion that served as a basis for organizational order to demonstrations, and used separation of church and state to preach freedom in churches across the south and north. It teaches order in the youth, and for the most part offers bad females to look at, half ya'll making it seem like an hour of ya'll life a week growing up was sooo tough.

In some ghettos out here, the only thing holding the hood together is the church.

The black church was a pillar in the movement, I suspect Op knows this though. As far as it's relevance in the African American community, it IS the African American community. Black Panthers with their private funding of neighborhood church programs, Nation of Islam, and other different forms of religion that served as a basis for organizational order to demonstrations, and used separation of church and state to preach freedom in churches across the south and north. It teaches order in the youth, and for the most part offers bad females to look at, half ya'll making it seem like an hour of ya'll life a week growing up was sooo tough.

In some ghettos out here, the only thing holding the hood together is the church.

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by whiterails

laugh.gif

Exactly...like....I'm sorry for learning how to read. 
roll.gif

Real talk...THIS is why I do this...

This was a response to a letter a guy on Reddit sent in to combat the separation of Church and State:

VodWz.jpg

The ignorance of our elected officials is why I think I should stand up to this crap. 

Its still in my opinion unconstitutional. 

laugh.gif

Exactly...like....I'm sorry for learning how to read. 
roll.gif

Real talk...THIS is why I do this...

This was a response to a letter a guy on Reddit sent in to combat the separation of Church and State:

VodWz.jpg

The ignorance of our elected officials is why I think I should stand up to this crap. 

Its still in my opinion unconstitutional. 

No most of us wouldn't have our atheist mindsets if it weren't for the bible.
happy.gif

happy.gif

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

just wondering is there a difference between white atheist's and black atheists? 
eek.gif
maybe even mexican atheists!

indifferent.gif

Its not the point.
You probably don't get it either.

The black community has no other social scene other than the church. 

The Church is so integral the lives of black people that without it, many people would simply cease to exist mentally. 

Ask any politician how is the best way to reach his black voters and he'll tell you, through their churches.

I simply said "Black Atheist" as a means of presenting myself as someone with a different perspective on a community which largely has no secular representatives. 

I dont think you believe the things you say… If you do you sure make atheists sound foolish...

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

just wondering is there a difference between white atheist's and black atheists? 
eek.gif
maybe even mexican atheists!

indifferent.gif

Its not the point.
You probably don't get it either.

The black community has no other social scene other than the church. 

The Church is so integral the lives of black people that without it, many people would simply cease to exist mentally. 

Ask any politician how is the best way to reach his black voters and he'll tell you, through their churches.

I simply said "Black Atheist" as a means of presenting myself as someone with a different perspective on a community which largely has no secular representatives. 

I dont think you believe the things you say… If you do you sure make atheists sound foolish...

laugh.gif

Exactly...like....I'm sorry for learning how to read
roll.gif

roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Exactly...like....I'm sorry for learning how to read
roll.gif

roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

When you really look at the history it saddens me to see what was done to black ppl with religion being forced upon them. The stripping of African culture in the name of religion is an understated crime. This is of course not counting countries that already had a heavy Islamic influence.

As for this argument about being in spiritual/divine things I never understood the point. We've already established that the concept of the Divine and GOD are man made. I don't see why or how one could believe in that when they subjectively decide what's divine or spiritual. If something isn't natural and is deemed supernatural that mean it is unverifiable and untestable.

If you believe in the supernatural and/or things divine/spiritual nature you'd have to be able to differentiate what isn't supernatural/divine/spiritual. Of all possible unknown things how can you tell if something is an act of GOD or an act of the Easter Bunny? or some other supernatural force? When you start questioning stuff like that you realize why some beliefs like that are so irrational.
Originally Posted by 0cks

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

happy.gif

Awesome.
The black man has way too much soul to be atheist... atheism is infinitely more eurocentric than Judaism/Christianity/Islam... get ya mind right fellas...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Have you never been to Europe?

Soul? You mean all that acting and putting on a show in black churches? If some black ppl wanna dance and prance around sweating until you pass out there are other mediums.

Never ceases to amaze me from the stuff I read on here.

When you really look at the history it saddens me to see what was done to black ppl with religion being forced upon them. The stripping of African culture in the name of religion is an understated crime. This is of course not counting countries that already had a heavy Islamic influence.

As for this argument about being in spiritual/divine things I never understood the point. We've already established that the concept of the Divine and GOD are man made. I don't see why or how one could believe in that when they subjectively decide what's divine or spiritual. If something isn't natural and is deemed supernatural that mean it is unverifiable and untestable.

If you believe in the supernatural and/or things divine/spiritual nature you'd have to be able to differentiate what isn't supernatural/divine/spiritual. Of all possible unknown things how can you tell if something is an act of GOD or an act of the Easter Bunny? or some other supernatural force? When you start questioning stuff like that you realize why some beliefs like that are so irrational.
Originally Posted by 0cks

happy.gif

Awesome.
The black man has way too much soul to be atheist... atheism is infinitely more eurocentric than Judaism/Christianity/Islam... get ya mind right fellas...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Have you never been to Europe?

Soul? You mean all that acting and putting on a show in black churches? If some black ppl wanna dance and prance around sweating until you pass out there are other mediums.

Never ceases to amaze me from the stuff I read on here.

happy.gif

Awesome.

happy.gif

Awesome.

eyes.gif
agreed. I dont understand how its even possible especially with christian Koreans, Indians, Arabs etc. Those missionaries and imperialists put in work. 

Back
Top Bottom