As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif
agreed. I dont understand how its even possible especially with christian Koreans, Indians, Arabs etc. Those missionaries and imperialists put in work. 

Originally Posted by 0cks

Originally Posted by Grimey

would half you dudes even have your atheist mind-sets if it wasn't for the internet?

No most of us wouldn't have our atheist mindsets if it weren't for the bible.
happy.gif

Awesome.
The black man has way too much soul to be atheist... atheism is infinitely more eurocentric than Judaism/Christianity/Islam... get ya mind right fellas...
In your opinion.
roll.gif
Many people on NT are so out of touch with history. The Judeochristian fairytales have been used as a tool of oppression, and to justify and perpetuate the mental and physical enslavement of millions of indigenous people. Massa won.

I am my own God, master, slave
And I will be beyond the grave
No one will take my soul away
I carry my own will and make my day

pimp.gif

would half you dudes even have your atheist mind-sets if it wasn't for the internet?

happy.gif

Awesome.
The black man has way too much soul to be atheist... atheism is infinitely more eurocentric than Judaism/Christianity/Islam... get ya mind right fellas...
In your opinion.
roll.gif
Many people on NT are so out of touch with history. The Judeochristian fairytales have been used as a tool of oppression, and to justify and perpetuate the mental and physical enslavement of millions of indigenous people. Massa won.

pimp.gif

The blind belief in the judeochristian faith is also a microcosm for a theme of learned helplessness and lack of control of one's own destiny in the black community.

The blind belief in the judeochristian faith is also a microcosm for a theme of learned helplessness and lack of control of one's own destiny in the black community.

happy.gif

Awesome.
In your opinion.
roll.gif

pimp.gif

Thats some serious Green Lantern stuff right there .I like that alot

happy.gif

Awesome.
In your opinion.
roll.gif

pimp.gif

Thats some serious Green Lantern stuff right there .I like that alot

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif

QFT.

If we're gonna believe in fairy tales, can it be fairy tales from our own culture? Why we do continue to follow a religion not native to us? Just because we turn gospel songs into R&B jamz and jump up and down and get the holy ghost doesn't make it our religion. The only reason we're Christian is because of slavery. We should have dropped that nonsense as soon as they let us free and made up our own God. But I guess it was easier to continue to be Christians.

And I'm not even an atheist, I just don't think man knows anything about God and to pretend we do is nonsense.

eyes.gif

QFT.

If we're gonna believe in fairy tales, can it be fairy tales from our own culture? Why we do continue to follow a religion not native to us? Just because we turn gospel songs into R&B jamz and jump up and down and get the holy ghost doesn't make it our religion. The only reason we're Christian is because of slavery. We should have dropped that nonsense as soon as they let us free and made up our own God. But I guess it was easier to continue to be Christians.

And I'm not even an atheist, I just don't think man knows anything about God and to pretend we do is nonsense.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

eyes.gif

QFT.

Smh… Why do people act like a large majority of the old testament didn’t take place in africa / asia?

eyes.gif

QFT.

Smh… Why do people act like a large majority of the old testament didn’t take place in africa / asia?

Originally Posted by HighMan

eyes.gif

QFT.

Word son, I think they spoke of Japanese and Ibo people in the bible. Knowledge!!!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by HighMan

eyes.gif

QFT.

Word son, I think they spoke of Japanese and Ibo people in the bible. Knowledge!!!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

Ancestor worship is where it's at.

African religions are really interesting. We all have the opportunity to become revered as Gods and spirits ourselves upon death, that I can can live with. Today these precolonial beliefs are dismissed as satanic and "pagan".

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

African religions are really interesting. We all have the opportunity to become revered as Gods and spirits ourselves upon death, that I can can live with. Today these precolonial beliefs are dismissed as satanic and "pagan".

eyes.gif

QFT.

This is pretty much in line with how I currently view this.

Anton I just don't get you(I blame your pseudo trolling) but I agree with your views here.

eyes.gif

QFT.

This is pretty much in line with how I currently view this.

Anton I just don't get you(I blame your pseudo trolling) but I agree with your views here.

Co-sign w/Anton and OP on most points.

I've seen far too many of my brothers be complacent as a result of thier religion. Religion has its good and it has its bad. Ignorance is the main problem. Even when I was religious I still believed all the progressive views I do now.

Co-sign w/Anton and OP on most points.

I've seen far too many of my brothers be complacent as a result of thier religion. Religion has its good and it has its bad. Ignorance is the main problem. Even when I was religious I still believed all the progressive views I do now.

eyes.gif

Agreed, and you can apply this to many Latinos as well. Alot of older Mexicans (mostly women) are fanatical when it comes to Catholicism. Now I have 0 problem with someone following a religion but @#$% goes to far when my Mexican friends are looked down upon by their families and considered to be  "ashamed of their backgrounds" because they're not religious, even though their ancestors were clearly FORCED to follow this religion or be persecuted/killed. Religion should have nothing to do with race/ethnicity; they're completely different. 

eyes.gif

Agreed, and you can apply this to many Latinos as well. Alot of older Mexicans (mostly women) are fanatical when it comes to Catholicism. Now I have 0 problem with someone following a religion but @#$% goes to far when my Mexican friends are looked down upon by their families and considered to be  "ashamed of their backgrounds" because they're not religious, even though their ancestors were clearly FORCED to follow this religion or be persecuted/killed. Religion should have nothing to do with race/ethnicity; they're completely different. 

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

eyes.gif

Tupac Jordan wrote:

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

eyes.gif

Tupac Jordan wrote:

Back
Top Bottom