As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

Originally Posted by kilojules64

Serious question-
Why do other peoples beliefs matter so much to some of you? Does it only matter if they're ignorant/unwilling to accept that other people don't feel the same way? Are you genuinely trying to help them by pointing out the flaws in their logic/lack of logic altogether? Are you just arrogant as hell? (don't be ashamed :tongue: )
I'm just wondering because I have a lot of opinions that are considered scandalous or taboo or whatever you want to call it, and the gauge on my care-o-meter about other peoples' opinions is usually reading approximately 0
laugh.gif

I don't care so much about other peoples' beliefs when they believe what they believe and leave other people alone. It bothers me when people use beliefs that can't be proven to justify the treatment of other people. For example, gays can't get married because it's against someone's religion. Also, it bothers me that people refuse to acknowledge facts. They're basically saying "I don't care about those facts. I won't even consider them. I've been believing this for a while now so just leave me alone and let me believe it." That's the society we want to live in?

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

When religious beliefs are used to write letters like the one that senator wrote in response to someone wanting to take the God out of the pledge of allegiance, or to bring creationism into schools, or to take away things like planned parenthood, or to prevent contraception, or to limit human rights to homosexuals, to hinder the progress of women, to regulate what we eat, to tell us how to dress, to threaten us with eternal torture...thats when it matters.
All the other stuff about pointing out the flaws in religion and faith just comes after that. If someone can still believe in their god after all those fallacies are introduced then they're truly deluded in every sense of the word. I dont know about you, but i don't think we all have to agree on certain issues but i'll be damned if I argue with someone that tells me im doomed to eternal torture for working on Sunday or that some dude walked on water 2000 years ago and hasn't happened since. 

BTW, you're a girl.
grin.gif
 No offense, most girls I know really aren't that willing or able to care about anyone elses opinion 
roll.gif
. Society holds them as the treasure so you all get to express yourselves however you kinda want to and dudes will still flock to you... I'm kidding...kinda...i'm just going off what you've said. 
grin.gif

Hahaha, no I don't think it's about me being a girl, it's more about me not entertaining anything that isn't based in fact.
I don't even read nonfiction literature
laugh.gif

When religious beliefs are used to write letters like the one that senator wrote in response to someone wanting to take the God out of the pledge of allegiance, or to bring creationism into schools, or to take away things like planned parenthood, or to prevent contraception, or to limit human rights to homosexuals, to hinder the progress of women, to regulate what we eat, to tell us how to dress, to threaten us with eternal torture...thats when it matters.
All the other stuff about pointing out the flaws in religion and faith just comes after that. If someone can still believe in their god after all those fallacies are introduced then they're truly deluded in every sense of the word. I dont know about you, but i don't think we all have to agree on certain issues but i'll be damned if I argue with someone that tells me im doomed to eternal torture for working on Sunday or that some dude walked on water 2000 years ago and hasn't happened since. 

BTW, you're a girl.
grin.gif
 No offense, most girls I know really aren't that willing or able to care about anyone elses opinion 
roll.gif
. Society holds them as the treasure so you all get to express yourselves however you kinda want to and dudes will still flock to you... I'm kidding...kinda...i'm just going off what you've said. 
grin.gif

Hahaha, no I don't think it's about me being a girl, it's more about me not entertaining anything that isn't based in fact.
laugh.gif

BTW, you're a girl.
grin.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

laugh.gif

I think you mean "fiction" 
laugh.gif

Me either though. I can't stand fiction books at times. I really have no need for that. I'd rather watch the movie if they make one. Too much real %#%% going on. 

BTW, you're a girl.
grin.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

laugh.gif

I think you mean "fiction" 
laugh.gif

Me either though. I can't stand fiction books at times. I really have no need for that. I'd rather watch the movie if they make one. Too much real %#%% going on. 

^I did mean that, I can't focus on what I'm typing and my cultural anthro teacher at the same time.
He says violence and it sounds like why-lense -_-

^I did mean that, I can't focus on what I'm typing and my cultural anthro teacher at the same time.
He says violence and it sounds like why-lense -_-

Yawn.(again)

If god wasn't real how the hell could you be an atheist? Thats your problem you think you ARE something your NOT. I'll tell you what you really are, you're just as bad as a church-going bible thumper with your constant atheist bickering... When you essentially believe in NOTHING.
laugh.gif

Dude do some soul searching...you and Aton trying to turn NT atheist...nobody cares
laugh.gif

Yawn.(again)

If god wasn't real how the hell could you be an atheist? Thats your problem you think you ARE something your NOT. I'll tell you what you really are, you're just as bad as a church-going bible thumper with your constant atheist bickering... When you essentially believe in NOTHING.
laugh.gif

Dude do some soul searching...you and Aton trying to turn NT atheist...nobody cares
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Yawn.(again)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

reads thread, clearly somebody cares (yourself included).

I would argue that you too and most religious folks believe in NOTHING as well
ohwell.gif

Yawn.(again)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

reads thread, clearly somebody cares (yourself included).

I would argue that you too and most religious folks believe in NOTHING as well
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif

QFT.

If we're gonna believe in fairy tales, can it be fairy tales from our own culture? Why we do continue to follow a religion not native to us? Just because we turn gospel songs into R&B jamz and jump up and down and get the holy ghost doesn't make it our religion. The only reason we're Christian is because of slavery. We should have dropped that nonsense as soon as they let us free and made up our own God. But I guess it was easier to continue to be Christians.

And I'm not even an atheist, I just don't think man knows anything about God and to pretend we do is nonsense.

This is pretty much in line with how I currently view this.

Anton I just don't get you(I blame your pseudo trolling) but I agree with your views here.

How the hell does someone "pseudo-troll"?
roll.gif
. I will say I sometimes take a very satirical/ironic/sarcastic approach to many religious debate...some people get it some don't. 

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

You literally have to be black to understand why this thread needed to be made. Black people's unrelenting and unquestioned allegiance to the Judeochristian faith is insulting and utterly ridiculous. And even more insulting is Christianity somehow being a yard-stick for Afrocentricity. As a full blooded African this is downright disrespectful to my ancestors who had their roots, traditions and spirituality forcibly stripped away from them. People go to church every sunday and pray to a crucified idol with blonde hair and blue eyes tryna tell me I aint black for being non-religious. EFF OUTTA HERE.
eyes.gif

QFT.

If we're gonna believe in fairy tales, can it be fairy tales from our own culture? Why we do continue to follow a religion not native to us? Just because we turn gospel songs into R&B jamz and jump up and down and get the holy ghost doesn't make it our religion. The only reason we're Christian is because of slavery. We should have dropped that nonsense as soon as they let us free and made up our own God. But I guess it was easier to continue to be Christians.

And I'm not even an atheist, I just don't think man knows anything about God and to pretend we do is nonsense.

This is pretty much in line with how I currently view this.

Anton I just don't get you(I blame your pseudo trolling) but I agree with your views here.

How the hell does someone "pseudo-troll"?
roll.gif
. I will say I sometimes take a very satirical/ironic/sarcastic approach to many religious debate...some people get it some don't. 

Yawn.(again)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Atheists exist because they don't believe in anything.
Whats the difference in a blank sheet of paper and a piece of art work? I'm the blank sheet and i'm telling everyone else that feels the need to draw on themselves that its ok to just be a blank sheet. 

You make it seem like if left up to themselves that believers are doing just fine...thats pretty much been proven untrue every single minute. I'm stepping in and expressing my opinion.

I wish there was a different term for Atheism... the reality is that there are so many believers in so many things that one MUST define themselves as someone who does not believe. 

There is no term for not playing golf or not collecting stamps... 
eyes.gif
...then again, I don't see stamp collectors infringing on anyones rights. 

Yawn.(again)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Atheists exist because they don't believe in anything.
Whats the difference in a blank sheet of paper and a piece of art work? I'm the blank sheet and i'm telling everyone else that feels the need to draw on themselves that its ok to just be a blank sheet. 

You make it seem like if left up to themselves that believers are doing just fine...thats pretty much been proven untrue every single minute. I'm stepping in and expressing my opinion.

I wish there was a different term for Atheism... the reality is that there are so many believers in so many things that one MUST define themselves as someone who does not believe. 

There is no term for not playing golf or not collecting stamps... 
eyes.gif
...then again, I don't see stamp collectors infringing on anyones rights. 

Dame and Anton are always appreciated in my book.
pimp.gif

I try my best to stay out of these threads because there isn't any reasoning with some folks.
They don't care to hear your arguments( yes I'm aware that some atheists are stubborn and are the same way) and it's often frustrating reading some of the replys.

Dame and Anton are always appreciated in my book.
pimp.gif

I try my best to stay out of these threads because there isn't any reasoning with some folks.
They don't care to hear your arguments( yes I'm aware that some atheists are stubborn and are the same way) and it's often frustrating reading some of the replys.

Unless you believe in all of the thousands of gods that others have believed in, then you're an atheist too, just to a lesser degree.

We're not faithless people, that don't believe in "nothing," either.

When we take medicine, we believe and have faith it will heal us. When we put our keys in our ignitions, we believe and have faith our cars with start and get us to where we need to be. The belief in a deity is not the end-all-be-all of beliefs. I know you're aware of this and some people don't mean it to be literal, but it bugs me when people resort to "you believe in nothing!" No, we just use our lack of belief in one particular thing and value certain things more that we can actually experience and enjoy with our senses.

Unless you believe in all of the thousands of gods that others have believed in, then you're an atheist too, just to a lesser degree.

When we take medicine, we believe and have faith it will heal us. When we put our keys in our ignitions, we believe and have faith our cars with start and get us to where we need to be. The belief in a deity is not the end-all-be-all of beliefs. I know you're aware of this and some people don't mean it to be literal, but it bugs me when people resort to "you believe in nothing!" No, we just use our lack of belief in one particular thing and value certain things more that we can actually experience and enjoy with our senses.

eyes.gif
im not even atheist (not even sure what i'd be considered) but these words were stolen right out of my mind
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif
im not even atheist (not even sure what i'd be considered) but these words were stolen right out of my mind
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by APH

Faith is NOT the same as trust.

I trust that medicine will cure me based on a set of patterns established by repeated tests done to ensure that we can expect the same outcomes to occur in the future. Thats what the use of warning labels are for. If we had faith, no one would try to account for when things go awry. 

I see where you're going though. Faith and trust are NOT the same things though. One is founded in reason, research, and testing. The other...in persuasion. 

Originally Posted by APH

Faith is NOT the same as trust.

I trust that medicine will cure me based on a set of patterns established by repeated tests done to ensure that we can expect the same outcomes to occur in the future. Thats what the use of warning labels are for. If we had faith, no one would try to account for when things go awry. 

I see where you're going though. Faith and trust are NOT the same things though. One is founded in reason, research, and testing. The other...in persuasion. 

Back
Top Bottom