As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

OP, I'm an atheist also.

I always wonder why people choose the religion of their oppressor's.

Likes African-Americans accepting Christianity, or Egyptians accepting Islam, or Iranians accepting Islam, etc etc. there are examples all over the world

I know the conversion happened centuries ago, but still. Why do we continue to accept a religion that killed our ancestors?

Religions do nothing but create violence and divide people. It was a man-made tool used to opress.

It boggles my mind that people continue to blindly follow. It's due to human beings' innate fear of dying and not knowing where their souls will go. So they subscribe to a belief in invisible man in the sky and a fiery hell and heavenly paradise.....WHAT A JOKE!

OP, I'm an atheist also.

I always wonder why people choose the religion of their oppressor's.

Likes African-Americans accepting Christianity, or Egyptians accepting Islam, or Iranians accepting Islam, etc etc. there are examples all over the world

I know the conversion happened centuries ago, but still. Why do we continue to accept a religion that killed our ancestors?

Religions do nothing but create violence and divide people. It was a man-made tool used to opress.

It boggles my mind that people continue to blindly follow. It's due to human beings' innate fear of dying and not knowing where their souls will go. So they subscribe to a belief in invisible man in the sky and a fiery hell and heavenly paradise.....WHAT A JOKE!

Originally Posted by Wr

My question is why do atheist take such a fundamentalist approach to interpreting scriptures and the bible when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning. If one looks into the history of Christianity, one can see that a point in time came where the system was taken over and re interpreted to fit along the lines of manifest destiny for whites. This is no secret. So really all of yalls blame on religion and spirituality should not be directed at religion and spirituality but rather the manipulators of religion and spirituality.

Just because a thief wears jeans, are we gonna spend the rest of our lives blasting jeans because a thief once wore them?

christianity was introduced to african americans in order to control them for the slave trade...

regardless of WHAT it is....im not rocking with ANYTHING the people who ENSLAVED us GIVE us....

not blankets, not chitlins, not christianity....period.

the reason "athiests" take such a fundamental approach when clowning religion is because a large number of christians take that very same approach.

there is a scale of
roll.gif
, at least to me

10-i believe the bible word for word
5-i believe, and i will argue with you and for proof, i will cite a book you dont believe in...
1-i believe, but i wont argue with you...

when i, a non-athiest, get in an argument with a super religious person.....its comedy to me....that someone is so invested in something and 98% of the time, i know more about it than they do. Alot of these christians don't even know their own religion. 

when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning.
i mean, tell that to a LARGE portion of your fellow believers.....

then, a large portion of those NOT believing the bible word-for-word, want to pick and choose what's an allegory and what's literal....what's this and what's that...

its all allegory, imo, nothing in there ever happened(not as described in the bible)...noone in it is real....period.

tell that to people thumping their bibles, tho

Originally Posted by Wr

My question is why do atheist take such a fundamentalist approach to interpreting scriptures and the bible when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning. If one looks into the history of Christianity, one can see that a point in time came where the system was taken over and re interpreted to fit along the lines of manifest destiny for whites. This is no secret. So really all of yalls blame on religion and spirituality should not be directed at religion and spirituality but rather the manipulators of religion and spirituality.

Just because a thief wears jeans, are we gonna spend the rest of our lives blasting jeans because a thief once wore them?

christianity was introduced to african americans in order to control them for the slave trade...

regardless of WHAT it is....im not rocking with ANYTHING the people who ENSLAVED us GIVE us....

not blankets, not chitlins, not christianity....period.

the reason "athiests" take such a fundamental approach when clowning religion is because a large number of christians take that very same approach.

there is a scale of
roll.gif
, at least to me

10-i believe the bible word for word
5-i believe, and i will argue with you and for proof, i will cite a book you dont believe in...
1-i believe, but i wont argue with you...

when i, a non-athiest, get in an argument with a super religious person.....its comedy to me....that someone is so invested in something and 98% of the time, i know more about it than they do. Alot of these christians don't even know their own religion. 

when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning.
i mean, tell that to a LARGE portion of your fellow believers.....

then, a large portion of those NOT believing the bible word-for-word, want to pick and choose what's an allegory and what's literal....what's this and what's that...

its all allegory, imo, nothing in there ever happened(not as described in the bible)...noone in it is real....period.

tell that to people thumping their bibles, tho

Back
Top Bottom