As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

Find TRUTH and not necessarily in religion.

AFAM being "so religious" will only reflect on that individuals religious upbringing and their parents, and grandparents and their slave masters etc. etc.. A lot of African-Americans branch out and seek knowledge beyond the church/congregation/mosque/bible/Qu'ran etc.. But for a African American to be atheist *scratches head* boggles my mind.

AFAM being "so religious" will only reflect on that individuals religious upbringing and their parents, and grandparents and their slave masters etc. etc.. A lot of African-Americans branch out and seek knowledge beyond the church/congregation/mosque/bible/Qu'ran etc.. But for a African American to be atheist *scratches head* boggles my mind.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

At what point in your life did you reject religion? What made you say, I will not believe in religion? Did you grow up in a religious house?

When I was in High School really. I was never really that religious. We used to go to Church but I always wondered why nothing ever really happened. I watched a lot of documentaries growing up, world news, politics, economics. Listened to alternative news stations like NPR. Read more history. Embraced competing forms of knowledge. Read conflicting opinions. I came to understand how different people interact and the ways in which they influenced each other.
I saw religion as a tool not really a legitimate endeavor. I really started openly rejecting religion my senior year of college. I didn't like to be confrontational about it so I just quieted my views and ignored things. I passed as an agnostic when I knew that I was pretty sure there wasn't a God. 

Every argument I get into pretty much affirms this. 

I'm not mad at God. I don't think it exists. I'm not mad at any religious person. Never was. I just don't like the institution of any religion and I think believing in God is a logical fallacy and a waste of time.

ItsGettinHot wrote:
Hendrix Watermelon wrote:
ItsGettinHot wrote:
Dude... what do you have against religion?

what do you have for religion?

Absolutely nothing.  I'm an atheist. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But every time there's a religion thread, Dame Theory in it tryina talk people out of their faith.

And when there's no religion threads for him to hop in, he makes his own.

Like Jesus beat him up for some pokemon cards or something. 
grin.gif

roll.gif

Fair enough. I just like debating this stuff...and showing people that its OK to not believe in God and that there are others out there that do the same.

Plus, being Black and not believing in God has made me really realize how many issues are really limiting people in my community. Its deeper than religion at times. 

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

At what point in your life did you reject religion? What made you say, I will not believe in religion? Did you grow up in a religious house?

When I was in High School really. I was never really that religious. We used to go to Church but I always wondered why nothing ever really happened. I watched a lot of documentaries growing up, world news, politics, economics. Listened to alternative news stations like NPR. Read more history. Embraced competing forms of knowledge. Read conflicting opinions. I came to understand how different people interact and the ways in which they influenced each other.
I saw religion as a tool not really a legitimate endeavor. I really started openly rejecting religion my senior year of college. I didn't like to be confrontational about it so I just quieted my views and ignored things. I passed as an agnostic when I knew that I was pretty sure there wasn't a God. 

Every argument I get into pretty much affirms this. 

I'm not mad at God. I don't think it exists. I'm not mad at any religious person. Never was. I just don't like the institution of any religion and I think believing in God is a logical fallacy and a waste of time.

ItsGettinHot wrote:
Hendrix Watermelon wrote:
ItsGettinHot wrote:
Dude... what do you have against religion?

what do you have for religion?

Absolutely nothing.  I'm an atheist. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But every time there's a religion thread, Dame Theory in it tryina talk people out of their faith.

And when there's no religion threads for him to hop in, he makes his own.

Like Jesus beat him up for some pokemon cards or something. 
grin.gif

roll.gif

Fair enough. I just like debating this stuff...and showing people that its OK to not believe in God and that there are others out there that do the same.

Plus, being Black and not believing in God has made me really realize how many issues are really limiting people in my community. Its deeper than religion at times. 

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

How?
I mean would you rather me adopt the African traditions of praying to Sun Gods and worshipping small dolls in my pocket? I mean its all beautiful stuff but none of that makes it true. If anything I don't understand why any Black person is a christian at this point. 

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Why do people make Higher power/The Creator/God/Supreme being/ Grand Architect of the Universe etc synonymous with RELIGION?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I believe in something greater than us all, but when it comes to religion, I couldn't care less.[/color]

I hear where you're coming from...but most of the "deists" out there just like to believe in a God shaped by the religion they've rejected.
If you are a pure deist, thats kinda hard to define. 

If you were raised as a christian but rejected christianity but still believed in god, you'd be believing in a christian god who does christian like things, but you're not submitting to the other rules and patterns being used in the christian church. Like lets say if all christians start wearing fitted caps to church, but since you don't go to church then you'll not be wearing those caps but you'll definitely still believe in a christian god, more than likely, that did those "miracles" or is responsible for certain things often attributed to your understanding of a god... as molded by christianity.

Its the same thing with some muslims I know or jews. They say they're non-practicing but still believe in a God. They're rejecting the formal patterns and rules of that religion but their concept of God is still molded by their experience in that religion. 

To purely believe in some higher power whose realm or ability is not molded by any religion is extremely rare if not difficult to explain. It is so difficult because we often set the boundaries on where God exists for each of us. Thus if your god can move mountains and mine can only help you pass tests and help swerving cars to avoid you then those are two different notions of God of which neither are right, especially if one of those understandings of God originated in a religion.

Catch my drift?

Thats why when people say I'm not religious, i still believe in God though... It sounds like a cop-out to me. Its like a way of showing how diverse of a personality they have while covering their tail if their savior returns...but I thought they weren't religious...so they can't have a savior... Its all people experiencing various ranges on a gray scale of religiosity. You can say you're not religious, but you still accept the notion of God as presented by religions that have molded that understanding of God. 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Do you hear yourself? I won't bother going getting into it with you because judging by what you just posted, you seem to think you have all the answers (sort of like religious leaders [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] which is pretty ironic
eyes.gif
).[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]And I love the way you really just tried to tell me what "God" it is I believe in as if you have any clue what goes on in my head.

Posted by some NT'er:

[/color]
To answer this, we need a clear understanding of religion. By “religion,

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Why do people make Higher power/The Creator/God/Supreme being/ Grand Architect of the Universe etc synonymous with RELIGION?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I believe in something greater than us all, but when it comes to religion, I couldn't care less.[/color]

I hear where you're coming from...but most of the "deists" out there just like to believe in a God shaped by the religion they've rejected.
If you are a pure deist, thats kinda hard to define. 

If you were raised as a christian but rejected christianity but still believed in god, you'd be believing in a christian god who does christian like things, but you're not submitting to the other rules and patterns being used in the christian church. Like lets say if all christians start wearing fitted caps to church, but since you don't go to church then you'll not be wearing those caps but you'll definitely still believe in a christian god, more than likely, that did those "miracles" or is responsible for certain things often attributed to your understanding of a god... as molded by christianity.

Its the same thing with some muslims I know or jews. They say they're non-practicing but still believe in a God. They're rejecting the formal patterns and rules of that religion but their concept of God is still molded by their experience in that religion. 

To purely believe in some higher power whose realm or ability is not molded by any religion is extremely rare if not difficult to explain. It is so difficult because we often set the boundaries on where God exists for each of us. Thus if your god can move mountains and mine can only help you pass tests and help swerving cars to avoid you then those are two different notions of God of which neither are right, especially if one of those understandings of God originated in a religion.

Catch my drift?

Thats why when people say I'm not religious, i still believe in God though... It sounds like a cop-out to me. Its like a way of showing how diverse of a personality they have while covering their tail if their savior returns...but I thought they weren't religious...so they can't have a savior... Its all people experiencing various ranges on a gray scale of religiosity. You can say you're not religious, but you still accept the notion of God as presented by religions that have molded that understanding of God. 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Do you hear yourself? I won't bother going getting into it with you because judging by what you just posted, you seem to think you have all the answers (sort of like religious leaders [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] which is pretty ironic
eyes.gif
).[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]And I love the way you really just tried to tell me what "God" it is I believe in as if you have any clue what goes on in my head.

Posted by some NT'er:

[/color]
To answer this, we need a clear understanding of religion. By “religion,

How?
I mean would you rather me adopt the African traditions of praying to Sun Gods and worshipping small dolls in my pocket? I mean its all beautiful stuff but none of that makes it true. If anything I don't understand why any Black person is a christian at this point. 

Originally Posted by air max 87

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Can anyone give any insight how Christian spread to African Americans.

prob during the slave trade.
-Slaves practiced the same religion as their masters
-Assimilated their old African religion with that of western culture (vodun, voodoo, yoruba, dahomeyan etc..)
-Were converted by northern missionary pastors,(methodist, baptist, episcopal)

Originally Posted by air max 87

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Can anyone give any insight how Christian spread to African Americans.

prob during the slave trade.
-Slaves practiced the same religion as their masters
-Assimilated their old African religion with that of western culture (vodun, voodoo, yoruba, dahomeyan etc..)
-Were converted by northern missionary pastors,(methodist, baptist, episcopal)

Originally Posted by cartune

The idea of God came wayyyy wayyyyy before any organized religion.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]OP doesn't seem to understand that. If you believe in a higher power, automatically it's derived from religion.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Give me a break.[/color]

How?
Prolly cus he thinks all african american's are raised in religious households.

I don't know if you're a christian or not...but to believe in a God but not a religion is to believe in the God OF that religion. Thats my point.

You can't independently come to claim one understanding of God without having a religion there first to shape what you expect God to be, where God exists, and how that God acts. 

I don't have all the answers, I never claimed to. But much of what you've said is a powderkeg of contradiction that can be applied to most people. I know TONS of believers that grew up in religion but say well...i'm not religious but I believe in God...Thats cool, they couldn't get down with all the rules...but their understanding of what God is, is still molded by that religion. 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Right.. I don't understand what God is though. And as far as I know, religion hasn't taught me that God is complex, infinite, inconceivable etc etc Religion has tried to sell their idea that God is some man upstairs with anthropomorphic qualities.

[/color]"Human theories are inadequate to understand the divine. Evidence drawn from the five physical senses relates solely to human reason."

None of this shows why one should believe in God though. 
For you to believe in the divine would indicate that others might be able to do so as well. If others can do so, why should they believe in the divine?

Up to now, our understanding of God has been ALL in the explanation of man. Thats it. Nothing other than the word of man has been of God. So where does God lie?  It seems like a cop-out to resort it to something that you can't investigate. 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]OP doesn't seem to understand that. If you believe in a higher power, automatically it's derived from religion.[/color]

I don't know if you're a christian or not...but to believe in a God but not a religion is to believe in the God OF that religion. Thats my point.

You can't independently come to claim one understanding of God without having a religion there first to shape what you expect God to be, where God exists, and how that God acts. 

I don't have all the answers, I never claimed to. But much of what you've said is a powderkeg of contradiction that can be applied to most people. I know TONS of believers that grew up in religion but say well...i'm not religious but I believe in God...Thats cool, they couldn't get down with all the rules...but their understanding of what God is, is still molded by that religion. 
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Right.. I don't understand what God is though. And as far as I know, religion hasn't taught me that God is complex, infinite, inconceivable etc etc Religion has tried to sell their idea that God is some man upstairs with anthropomorphic qualities.

[/color]"Human theories are inadequate to understand the divine. Evidence drawn from the five physical senses relates solely to human reason."

For you to believe in the divine would indicate that others might be able to do so as well. If others can do so, why should they believe in the divine?

Up to now, our understanding of God has been ALL in the explanation of man. Thats it. Nothing other than the word of man has been of God. So where does God lie?  It seems like a cop-out to resort it to something that you can't investigate. 

How?
Prolly cus he thinks all african american's are raised in religious households.

That doesn't make it more right though. The concept of God and the realm of God and powers of God have been debunked and relegated to smaller domains as time goes on. 
In so much as its possible for us as Americans to look at how long Native Americans and South American indigenous people and look at how many people blindly say how silly their notions of God are, what makes the ones in ancient  Europe/Africa more correct? 

That doesn't make it more right though. The concept of God and the realm of God and powers of God have been debunked and relegated to smaller domains as time goes on. 
In so much as its possible for us as Americans to look at how long Native Americans and South American indigenous people and look at how many people blindly say how silly their notions of God are, what makes the ones in ancient  Europe/Africa more correct? 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Go back to where I said I don't ##*! with religion and God is inconceivable, no man nor religion can explain the creator. But I guess that's a "cop-out."[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'm done.[/color]
laugh.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Go back to where I said I don't ##*! with religion and God is inconceivable, no man nor religion can explain the creator. But I guess that's a "cop-out."[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'm done.[/color]
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom