Wrestling Thread Mar 3-9 | 3/9 TNA Lockdown - Magnus v Joe | Team MVP v Team Dixie Lethal Lockdown

confusedbrock.gif
roll.gif
that white sht messed up his whole entrance

I remember when he came out caked in white **** and I thought it was supposed to look badass but was a total fail but I guess something exploded on him ( :lol: ) right before he was supposed to go out.

I will be seeing Motörhead at coachella and I pray to God they perform The Game though :lol:

I may be in the small minority, but I prefer Line in the Sand as the best Motörhead WWE entrance music. Looking back to see where I stand....evolution!!!

Maybe I missed it, but any news if the tv monitors Brock threw actually hit anyone? I was on tumblr and someone said it hit a woman and kid and showed a woman with a messed up eye. Not sure how valid that post was.

Why did Razor Ramon never get a run with the title? Did Hall have the same problems back then?

I mean...Diesel had a year long run SMH.

The Debate
After CM Punk walked out on the WWE following this year’s Royal Rumble, it was pretty much universally accepted that he did so because he was fed up with the current state of booking, where the company relies upon full-time wrestlers to carry the load during the year, only to then turn to part-timers like Batista and The Rock to headline the biggest events on the calendar.

It is no secret that Punk wants to headline WrestleMania. In his documentary “Best in the World,” he expressed disgust at the fact that the WWE would turn to The Miz to headline the biggest event in pro wrestling, and I can all but assure you he was none too pleased to find out he would go into WrestleMania XXVIII as WWE Champion but not headline the event because The Rock had a new movie to promote.

WWE’s unwillingness to allow one of its biggest stars to headline its biggest event leaves one to wonder why they do not trust him. One of the few logical explanations is that they do not believe he can draw as much money as part-timers like The Rock.

Therefore, I thought it would be interesting to analyze buyrates to determine how well Punk draws. In order to do so, I felt it best to analyze the period between the 2011 Survivor Series and 2013 Royal Rumble when Punk held the title for 434 days, as well as the year prior to Punk’s reign and the pay-per-views since Punk was removed from the title scene.

I organized the statistics into three groups (Pre-Punk, Punk, and Post-Punk) in order to determine the average buyrate for pay-per-views during each period, and also to look at any increases or decreases in buyrates between periods.

The top selling pay-per-views of the year are always WrestleMania, SummerSlam, and the Royal Rumble. In order to not skew the statistics in one period’s favor, I ensured that each group featured only one WrestleMania, SummerSlam, and Royal Rumble event. Therefore, the 2013 Royal Rumble where Punk dropped the title to The Rock is included in the Post-Punk period as it was his final night with the championship.

Pre-Punk
There is no denying that John Cena is the WWE’s cash cow. He has multiple endorsements, a clothing line, and his merchandise sells like no other, meaning they will ride him until he’s no longer able to stand.

This era could certainly be described as the Cena era, as he held the championship for a good portion of the year and was featured in the main event during 10 of the 12 pay-per-views. Punk also had a brief run as champion during this period, but lost the title a little less than a month after beating Cena at Money in the Bank.

During this 12 pay-per-view period (2010 TLC through 2011 Vengeance), the WWE sold a total of 3,439,000 pay-per-views, amounting to an average of 286,583 purchases per event. Worth noting is that of the three highest selling non-“Big Three” (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, and SummerSlam) events, two of them (2011 Money in the Bank and 2011 Elimination Chamber) featured Punk in the main event.

Punk
The 2011 Survivor Series was the start of Punk’s now-historic 434-day reign as champion after he forced Alberto Del Rio to tap out to the Anaconda Vice. Throughout his run, he would enter into feuds with various superstars, including Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho, and Dolph Ziggler, among others.

Although Punk was not always featured in the final match of the night during his run, he was always prominently featured on the card and played a major role in the overall storyline.

During this 14 pay-per-view period (2011 Survivor Series through 2012 TLC), the WWE sold a total of 4,275,000 pay-per-views, amounting to an average of 305,357 purchases per event. Not only does this mark a 6.5% increase in purchases per event, but seven of the 11 pay-per-views between 2011 TLC (the month after Punk won the title) and 2012 Hell in a Cell recorded a higher buyrate than the previous year’s event.

Post-Punk
Punk dropped the title to The Rock at the 2013 Royal Rumble, thus ending his 434-day reign as WWE Champion. As previously mentioned, I included the Royal Rumble in this period despite the fact that it was Punk’s last night with the title in order to ensure the statistics remained stable.

During this 12 pay-per-view period (2013 Royal Rumble through 2013 TLC), the WWE sold a total of 3,619,000 pay-per-views, amounting to an average of 300,833 purchases per event. Following Punk’s departure from the title scene, buyrates plummeted, with Battleground registering only 114,000 buys – the lowest buyrate in years.

Without the strong sales from the 2013 Royal Rumble, which featured Punk in the main event, this period would have only registered 267,363 purchases per pay-per-view. Throughout the year, over half of the events registered buyrates that were lower than the previous year’s edition.

Conclusion
Based on the statistics, it is certainly possible to conclude that the 434-day period when CM Punk was WWE Champion was the most successful of the three periods in terms of pay-per-view sales.

After Punk won the title at Survivor Series, the average buys per pay-per-view significantly increased and nearly all of the events had a higher buyrate than the previous year’s edition. Following his departure from the title scene, buyrates have dropped and nearly all of the events have performed more poorly than their 2012 counterparts.

It is no surprise that Vince McMahon has chosen to not publicly bury Punk just yet and continues to try to court him into returning. He is well aware of the fact that Punk is a fan favorite, a terrific in-ring performer, and most importantly, McMahon knows that he brings in a boatload of cash.

I may be in the small minority, but I prefer Line in the Sand as the best Motörhead WWE entrance music. Looking back to see where I stand....evolution!!!

That theme was touuuuuugh. Still prefer his My Time theme over any solo ones he's had after though.

Maybe I missed it, but any news if the tv monitors Brock threw actually hit anyone? I was on tumblr and someone said it hit a woman and kid and showed a woman with a messed up eye. Not sure how valid that post was.
I haven't seen or read anything with definite proof that anyone was hurt.

I remember when he came out caked in white **** and I thought it was supposed to look badass but was a total fail but I guess something exploded on him ( :lol: ) right before he was supposed to go out.

I will be seeing Motörhead at coachella and I pray to God they perform The Game though :lol:

Didn't that white stuff stick to him cause he poured water on himself before going into that dry ice?..

Vince needs to learn from Gerardo and all those other old dudes, bathroom selfies only lead to nude selfies being leaked.

:x x1,000,000,000 if that day comes.

Didn't that white stuff stick to him cause he poured water on himself before going into that dry ice?..
Haha yeah I believe so. Remember reading something saying how his skin was burning for the entire match. Sucka.

That was dry ice intended for some smoke effect. I guess the machine ****** up and HHH ended up getting second degree burns from it :lol: :x

That article about punk and the buy rates was eye opening. It makes a lot of sense though because most of the people, including myself, i know who have gotten back into wrestling did so because of punk.

Back
Top Bottom