Williams: I'm The Best Point Guard In The League

All he said was he thinks he's the best PG...that's not really "gassing himself" up.

I mean, if this was Mo Williams and not Deron Williams, I could see a point.
laugh.gif

I don't mean 'gassing himself' like he had this full on dialogue, like an hour long interview praising his name.

But even a couple sentences is too many at this time. The deeper a person goes in the playoffs, the more worthy they are of making any sort of 'You better ask somebody' type statements.

No, he's not being cocky or arrogant, but I'm saying... at the very least, can we say he was praising himself? Maybe not gassing, but praising. No? Yes, he was. Did they lose? Yes, they did.

I'm saying, most play better with a chip on your shoulder, so until you win the championship, keep that chip on your shoulder, keep feeling like you have to prove a million doubters wrong, keep playing with something to prove. Wait until you're hoisting that trophy to say 'I tried to tell y'all about me!'

Enh, I'm sure few get what I'm saying.

Its so close between him and CP3 that it isnt worth arguing.

Ive been sayin D.Will since last season.

%%#$$ with that Rose & Rondo talk, neither one of them has a complete game yet.

Rose is an average passer with an improving jumper & Rondo is a good passer with a broke jumpshot.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I don't mean 'gassing himself' like he had this full on dialogue, like an hour long interview praising his name.

But even a couple sentences is too many at this time. The deeper a person goes in the playoffs, the more worthy they are of making any sort of 'You better ask somebody' type statements.

No, he's not being cocky or arrogant, but I'm saying... at the very least, can we say he was praising himself? Maybe not gassing, but praising. No? Yes, he was. Did they lose? Yes, they did.

I'm saying, most play better with a chip on your shoulder, so until you win the championship, keep that chip on your shoulder, keep feeling like you have to prove a million doubters wrong, keep playing with something to prove. Wait until you're hoisting that trophy to say 'I tried to tell y'all about me!'

Enh, I'm sure few get what I'm saying.
Touché.
Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams said Wednesday afternoon he feels he is the best point guard in the NBA — and on Friday night, he'll have another opportunity to prove it.

The fact that the opening-round series is going back to Utah after the Nuggets came away with a 116-102 Game 5 victory at the Pepsi Center certainly can't be blamed on Williams. As has been the case throughout the best-of-seven set, the fifth-year player from Illinois was spectacular. For the fifth straight contest, Williams finished with a double-double, 34 points, including five 3-pointers, and 10 assists — in the process becoming the first player in league history to accomplish the feat.

That's why teammate Carlos Boozer said Williams was the best point guard in the league — "hands down." When asked his thoughts, Williams didn't disagree — and his performances throughout the series has observers not talking about contemporaries such as Chris Paul of New Orleans and Steve Nash of Phoenix, but rather some of the game's all-time greats.

Of course, Utah, and its coach, Jerry Sloan, have been blessed with some of the finest point-guard play in the history of the game. Not long before Williams came onto the scene five seasons ago, the Jazz was led by John Stockton, now a member of the basketball Hall of Fame.

Before the game, Sloan was asked to compare the two players. Not surprisingly, he declined.

"It's not fair," Sloan said. "John Stockton played for 19 years; in 17 of those years he didn't miss a game. He was an unusual player. Deron is an unusual player too. He's been terrific, but it's unfair to try to compare the two of them."

At times Wednesday, it appeared that Williams was toying with the Nuggets, seemingly able to do whatever he wanted on the floor. That was most apparent during the latter stages of the third quarter, when the all-star hit a 3-pointer on one possession, then fed Carlos Boozer for a dunk that brought the visitors perilously close to overcoming an eight-point deficit.

However, on this night, the Nuggets' depth — the winners had six players in double-figure scoring — proved to be greater than Utah's record-setting star, who fouled out in the final minute of the game.

pimp.gif

I can see where you are coming from on the Paul arguements. Actually, any PG in the playoffs right now can be in discussion. Paul is my FAVORITE PG. But, dude was injured the majority of the season. Williams was the best PG THIS SEASON. We will see about next.

Well, I would HOPE my PG had that kind of confidence....if you're going into a battle thinking that the next man is better than you, you're defeated even before the ball is tipped. I'm sure a lot of starting PG's in the NBA have this same mindset. In Williams' case, it's not out of the question that he IS the best PG in the NBA. As you can tell from the length of this thread, there is good discussion and people on both sides of the fence.

^ I would want him to have that MINDSET, but mentality and spoken words are two different things.

Confidence is thinking you're the best; arrogance is thinking everyone else has to know.

Nah, I wouldn't want Deron thinking 'Man, this team would probably be better with Chris Paul or Steve Nash, or anyone but me. Oh well. I'll just go out there and see what my second- or third-best self can do.'

Deron, Nash and Paul are also three very different PG's. Nash is more of a slow tempo guy, always looking to set someone up or if all else fails, shoot the jumper. CP3 is the classic finnese, flashy PG. Deron is a very strong PG. Other NBA players have been quoted saying how impressed they were with his speed and power. DWill is the perfect fit or Utah's offense.

ChiefWiggum:
Deron, Nash and Paul are also three very different PG's. Nash is more of a slow tempo guy, always looking to set someone up or if all else fails, shoot the jumper. CP3 is the classic finnese, flashy PG. Deron is a very strong PG. Other NBA players have been quoted saying how impressed they were with his speed and power. DWill is the perfect fit or Utah's offense.
This should be the last time these two words are used in the same sentence. The Suns organization has no idea if their shot clock goes lower than 15.
laugh.gif

Lulz. I meant that in you will see Nash dribble at the top of the three for atleast 5 seconds sometimes.

I wouldnt call it arrogance, or whatever.

How many times have we heard people say Paul is better then Deron? What are they even basing that on? i just feel like he's trying to prove himself out there, that he's not that far behind paul, if even behind him in the first place.

This dude got me thinking about just how much the college game masks your real game.

That year they went to the final game against UNC I saw my fair share of Illinois and I honestly thought he was the 3rd best guard on the team behind Head & Brown. We all see how this has turned out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

reachin @#+, you need to retire.

and you would be correct Mr. Williams.....best indeed.

here's my list..in no order

williams
nash
paul
rondo
rose

Originally Posted by bangtcg

how is rose better than rondo?

that's easy.. put Rose on the Celtics

Rose
Allen
Pierce
KG
Perkins

Will beat the Cavs in the 2nd round. With the lineup Celtics have now with Rondo, will lose to Cavs in 6.
You can't sit there and say that Rondo on the Bulls would have been in the playoffs playing the Cavs in the 1st round.
Anything Rondo can do, Rose can do 2x better, except passing.

Back
Top Bottom