Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

Originally Posted by dakid23

What about Salvadoran food?
pimp.gif

thetruthhurts74, right on the money. Filipino cuisine is a homestyle deal, and that's what gives its charm. I know that all my homies are always down tohit up whoevers family party just because they Filipino/a, and they know the food will be
pimp.gif
. Though to put it on a mass produced level takes that charm away from the ideaand what's left is a greasy pan of chicken, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, etc
laugh.gif
. And maybe Filipinos know this, which would suggest why it isn't so many "mainstream." However, I would agree with the fact thatsome of the food is pretty gnarly...my kababayan has to agree to some extent
laugh.gif

In any case, I'm surprised no one's thrown up any of these yet....

red_ribbon_bakeshop.jpg

hdlogo.gif

ensaymada & mamon FTW

Originally Posted by silentparrot

hdlogo.gif
The cream cheese buns from here are THE BOMB!

As an aside, are Valerio's City Bakery and Valerio's Tropical Bake Shop the same or did someone just totally rip-off the name of the other one?

Valerios FTW!!!

I remember the first one that opened in SD, National City. I was childhood friends with the owner's daughter.

im filipino, live in nor cal, and never been to a filipino restaurant. ill just eats my moms cookin i guess

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Sorry, but most of the restaurants there....the food there is nasty.. unappealing for sure... too oily, bland seasoning.

btw..your example of Kare Kare?... 1. it's not pork or fish as you clain. 2. almost every cuisine has an oxtail stew.. thatss not a great example.
but not every filipino dish is a "reinvention" of another cultures dish....but really...there are many foods that are borrowed from other cultures.

Makes me wonder if you guys have really eaten a good amount of Filipino food.
Dirt McGirt, droppin' knowledge.

Originally Posted by XX3forever

Really though, other than Adobo and Lumpia people always ask hit me with "What do Filipino people eat other than Adobo and Lumpia?" I just think most people don't really know about it more than anything...

PS: Bay Area Heads (510) hit up Sampaguita in Alameda for your Filipino food needs. (haha yes shameless plug for my family's restaurant)
that's your family's restaurant? That's cool man you guys got some good food. I haven't been there in a minute but last time I didgo it was good. Mom didn't feel like cooking so we decided to go there haha.

Originally Posted by AllDay AllNight

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Sorry, but most of the restaurants there....the food there is nasty.. unappealing for sure... too oily, bland seasoning.

btw..your example of Kare Kare?... 1. it's not pork or fish as you clain. 2. almost every cuisine has an oxtail stew.. thatss not a great example.
but not every filipino dish is a "reinvention" of another cultures dish....but really...there are many foods that are borrowed from other cultures.

Makes me wonder if you guys have really eaten a good amount of Filipino food.
Dirt McGirt, droppin' knowledge.

I love the BBQ Pit out there

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

It takes too long to cook and it's a tedious job just to get a bite because you're spending most of your time dissecting a fish.

In addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.
roll.gif
dude even went back to edit like it aint plastered 5 timeson each page. really absurd, tell my family that filipinos arent business minded...

and with filipino food breaking into the mainstream, i think someone hit it on the head with the problem of not being able to create a nice presentation forthe food. i mean -silog breakfasts are great, but you really can't do much with meat, rice, and an egg on top.

there is a really interesting place in san bruno for you bay area NTers called tastebuds, everything just seems...cleaner than your typical filipino spot. thefood is described perfectly on the menu in such a way that makes it sound appetizing. serving fresh lechon in fri-sun is a definite plus too.

where i live, a family friend opened up her own shop a couple of months ago....
all the filipinos in the communtiy are always stopping by there and getting food....

you can place an order for a dish, for any 'ubb our pam-e-lee get-too-ghe-ders'
pancit and lumpia there are the ishhhhh!
pimp.gif

FILIPINO FOOD FTW!

CHOW KING's 'crucnhy breaded pork and lumpia' >>>>>>>>
first time down in the PIs tried that stuff, always a good go-to meal!

goldilocks RESTAURANT in nat'l city off of plaza blvd [san diego] FTW..

hot sizzling sisig served to you on a hot skillet with an egg that you crack on top of it and mix into it..
eek.gif
pimp.gif

bagaong fried rice..
pimp.gif

crispy pata..
pimp.gif

kare-kare..
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Most filipino dishes take a significant amount of time to prepare.
I know when my mom cooks, she won't be able to prepare meals for 20 - 30 minutes, unless it's something very basic.
It's not like Pho or Sushi, where they can be prepared in a short time span.
If there were a Filipino restaurant, the menu has to be 'watered-down'

What? That couldn't be further from the truth. Pho takes forever to make but yes, they make a huge batch and just leave the soup boiling for the whole day. Sushi ain't exactly fast to make either. They just prepare a lot ahead of time.

In any case, are there any really watered-down Filipino dishes? I mean, that's a good thing! You can't go mainstream if you're gonna go hardcore authentic. A person new to the cuisine just isn't going to eat that kinda stuff. Anyways, I'm Asian and white-washed as hell. I can only eat the noob dishes for all the Asian cuisines.. whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, etc..
but that's what I mean. When you order pho or sushi, the only thing that needs to be done is the specific meats and vegetables the customerordered, then voila... you're done.
For Filipino food, each dish is completely different using different types of meat sometimes, sauces, soups and vegetables, so it's going to be hard have afilipino sit-in restauran that simply makes a huge batch and let it sit there.
The only Filipino spots in my city are those that already give you a selection as they are already made and is just being heated - kind of like the chinesejoints in the mall food courts.

yo but when i visited cali - max's near daly city? was CRACK
as well as Gerrys Grille in alabang town center in the PI

lechon, sisig, some calameres, pancit, a lil bit of fish.

however filipino food in jersey city taste so bland - i can stay at home at get good filipino food for free

i've never tried filipino food, i'd like to give it a shot, and i live in the bay area (and i'm in san diego for college)...i'd like to trythat filipino food buffet place someone was mentioning earlier if it exists...

Originally Posted by AllDay AllNight

Originally Posted by XX3forever

Really though, other than Adobo and Lumpia people always ask hit me with "What do Filipino people eat other than Adobo and Lumpia?" I just think most people don't really know about it more than anything...

PS: Bay Area Heads (510) hit up Sampaguita in Alameda for your Filipino food needs. (haha yes shameless plug for my family's restaurant)
Serious?

Dude I've been driving all the way to King Sisig or whatever in Serramonte for Filipino food. And I live in Oakland.

I'm gonna check it out, but if your moms does me dirty and doesn't hook me up when I order the tosilog, I'm gonna put you on blast.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Most filipino dishes take a significant amount of time to prepare.
I know when my mom cooks, she won't be able to prepare meals for 20 - 30 minutes, unless it's something very basic.
It's not like Pho or Sushi, where they can be prepared in a short time span.
If there were a Filipino restaurant, the menu has to be 'watered-down'

What? That couldn't be further from the truth. Pho takes forever to make but yes, they make a huge batch and just leave the soup boiling for the whole day. Sushi ain't exactly fast to make either. They just prepare a lot ahead of time.

In any case, are there any really watered-down Filipino dishes? I mean, that's a good thing! You can't go mainstream if you're gonna go hardcore authentic. A person new to the cuisine just isn't going to eat that kinda stuff. Anyways, I'm Asian and white-washed as hell. I can only eat the noob dishes for all the Asian cuisines.. whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, etc..
but that's what I mean. When you order pho or sushi, the only thing that needs to be done is the specific meats and vegetables the customer ordered, then voila... you're done.
For Filipino food, each dish is completely different using different types of meat sometimes, sauces, soups and vegetables, so it's going to be hard have a filipino sit-in restauran that simply makes a huge batch and let it sit there.
The only Filipino spots in my city are those that already give you a selection as they are already made and is just being heated - kind of like the chinese joints in the mall food courts.

that's what I was telling my boys how it is in the PI. Once you eat a meal, they start preparing the next meal immediately, and only finish cooking whenit's time to eat lunch, then all over until dinner
laugh.gif
There'snothing fast

Back
Top Bottom