Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

Originally Posted by uhhh ohhh

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69
I can vouch for him...since we both live in the same town...chill with the same filipino friends. I'm half puerto rican/filipino and i think filipino food is way to unappealing.
so thats your sn
laugh.gif

That's it.. I've decided.. Gonna force my Filipino co-worker to take us out for Filipino food for lunch today!

It's because Filipino food is more of the type of cuisine that you would eat at someone's home. It's homestyle type food.

It doesn't really translate well into a restaurant type setting, since it's not very appealing to folks who aren't in the know already. Other Asianfoods (at least Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and now Viet), are way more appealing to regular consumers.

I'm not Filipino, but I've tried nearly all of it, having dated a Pinay, lived in Cerritos and used to be fast & furious. Filipino food isgreat(diniguan/sinigang/kare kare/sigsig/etc), but it's not the kind of stuff that I'm in the mood for when I choose to go out to eat. It's thekind of stuff that I associate with family parties, etc. That's why the majority of the Filipino restaurants you see tend to be cafeteria style, with allof the selections stewing in a buffet style line. It's not really your typical "made to order" kind of food that satisfies most Westernizedpalettes.

i have a filipino spot 3 blocks from the house and i never been...................

What about Salvadoran food?

cuz viet/chinese/thai and indian/hispanic resturant are abundant .....around the bay area anyway
laugh.gif

im living in the philippines now, but back when i lived in cali (san diego), the filipino restaurants there just plain sucked. i think its because theyre cheapon ingredients. i always noticed the food lacking flavor. and everyone cooks filipino dishes differently, like some people cook adobo kinda sweet, while otherpeople make it hella salty. here in the philippines theres alot of wack restaurants too, but theres plenty of good ones as well, as long as your willing to payextra. but my moms cooking will always be the best
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Makes me wonder if you guys have really eaten a good amount of Filipino food.
to be honest, I don't think I have, they'd rather get spanish food catered to their house
ohwell.gif

but the food they do cook seems to always be cold, and they dont mind. I wonder if this is a Filipino thing?

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.

im still shaking my head at this

i used to hear about this stew made with pigs blood?
sounds gross, but still wanted to try it...

cot damn. this thread makes me want to get some Sisig for lunch and a 6-pack of heineken light and drink in front of my boss.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

sisig and heineken????? blasphemy
san mig and san mig light only

^^^LOL. i know. i don't have san mig right now. only got heineken light at the pad. hahah.

my 2 cents:

it has nothing to do with their ethnicity being underrepresented.
if you feel that way then why is there cuban and jamaician restuarants?

i think it just has to do with the fact that preparatoin for most dishes takes a very very long time, so u can't really expect to have a good busniess whenyou have to wait an hour or 2 for the dish to come out. its just not worth the effort. the simple foods that take less, include cheap meats (vienna sausage),and are in my opinion too simple. Also, as stated above, the appearance/presentation of most foods makes it look like leftovers, or just plain nasty.

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

It's because Filipino food is more of the type of cuisine that you would eat at someone's home. It's homestyle type food.

It doesn't really translate well into a restaurant type setting, since it's not very appealing to folks who aren't in the know already. Other Asian foods (at least Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and now Viet), are way more appealing to regular consumers.

I'm not Filipino, but I've tried nearly all of it, having dated a Pinay, lived in Cerritos and used to be fast & furious. Filipino food is great(diniguan/sinigang/kare kare/sigsig/etc), but it's not the kind of stuff that I'm in the mood for when I choose to go out to eat. It's the kind of stuff that I associate with family parties, etc. That's why the majority of the Filipino restaurants you see tend to be cafeteria style, with all of the selections stewing in a buffet style line. It's not really your typical "made to order" kind of food that satisfies most Westernized palettes.
basically.

Originally Posted by vtran27

i used to hear about this stew made with pigs blood?
sounds gross, but still wanted to try it...
chocolate soup?
laugh.gif
Diniguan is really good...you should tryit.

Mom made NT's favorite, Chicken Adobo last night..
pimp.gif

In Winnipeg, a lot of the non-filipinos eat the filipino breakfasts. Tosilog is probably the most popular. And you get a lot of food for $4.

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

Fillipino food is pretty mediocre for the most part (a few exceptions). And this is coming from someone who will practically eat anything. Laotian food is not hittin' either.
eek.gif
lao food is the truth...i prefer it over thai,viet, or korean food.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I could go for some dinuguan right about now.
pimp.gif

Ohhhh damn im down. It sounds so good right now especailly because its lunch time for me. Time for goldilocks, and ensaymada for dessert.

Originally Posted by collierkoolaid

My wife is philippino...lumpia and pancit are the goods...the rest of it, not so much.

Not to disrespect or anything but this is exactly why Filipino food will not go mainstream. It just doesnt appeal to everyone, really sad too cause when doneright its amazing.
Another problem with it is the variations in recipes, Filipino food doesnt have a uniform taste like other cuisine, everyones Kare-Kare or Adobo will bedifferent. You can cook a dry adobo or saucy one, its whatever the cook feels.

Back
Top Bottom