Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

Menudo, afritada, tinola, arroz caldo, sisig, tocino, longanisa, kare kare, CHAMPORADO, lechon baboy or manok, chicharon bulaklak, bbq (
laugh.gif
), mami, sotanghon,TURON, kaldereta, and uh, suman.

Y'all need to get up on your Filipino cuisine, especially if you're a kababayan. I haven't even really started on the deserts either.

Originally Posted by derrty6232

pics of the food?
Honestly, even for me now, the food still looks weird. I've never really seen a graceful presentation of pancit bihon or or palabok...it'susually just in a foil tray.

But damn, it's delicious.

Originally Posted by 49ers650

Probably has to do with the low population compared to other "ethnic" food.
Yep, plus it's really not as good or varied as other Asian cuisines. The foods that have good flavor are mostly derived from the Spanishinfluence in the country.

where all you Union City hypebeast filipinos at?

School us on this Filipino Buffet in hear about out there.

Originally Posted by AllDay AllNight

pics of the food?
Honestly, even for me now, the food still looks weird. I've never really seen a graceful presentation of pancit bihon or or palabok...it's usually just in a foil tray.

I love palabok...I haven't had Sisig in a long time. Including Lechon.

I think Filipino food has never gone mainstream because of the staple dishes of Filipino food are similar to other Asian dishes. I personally don't mindhaving the food stay "underground". It's food that I will always enjoy eating. I smh when a couple of "highly americanized" Filipinosdislike the taste of Filipino food. I just don't understand that. Haha.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by 49ers650

Probably has to do with the low population compared to other "ethnic" food.
Yep, plus it's really not as good or varied as other Asian cuisines. The foods that have good flavor are mostly derived from the Spanish influence in the country.
I wouldn't say that it isn't as good or as varied. If anything, Filipino food is a little TOO weird to go mainstream.

Can you imagine telling someone that they're supposed to use extra bagoong to adjust the taste of their kare kare or pinakbet? Or explain to them whythere's cheese all over their dessert? And then you'd have to explain why there's SO MUCH DAMN GREASE in the adobo or menudo
laugh.gif

Nah. Plus, most Filipinos in the P.I. eat simple foods...fish, rice, and vegetables. Damn near EVERY day. It's only during special occasions or partiesthat they bring out all the other stuff.

The way I think about it...whenever I go to chinese restaurants or mexican restaurants or thai restaurants, I'm not even coming close to getting the"authentic" stuff. I'm getting general tso chicken, al pastor burritos, and phad see ew. So are 99% of other people. So it doesn't reallyoffend me that most people are familiar or comfortable only with adobo, pancit, and lumpia.

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

It takes too long to cook and it's a tedious job just to get a bite because you're spending most of your time dissecting a fish.

In addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.
I've never seen so many asinine and irrelevant statements in one post.

And dude, we're on Niketalk. That's saying something.

i think its because the food is always different the second time around. like one persons adobo isnt gonna taste the same as the next persons.

Originally Posted by wildout4

i think its because the food is always different the second time around. like one persons adobo isnt gonna taste the same as the next persons.
Very, very true.

MENUDO, SINIGAN, KARE KARE, MAMON, AND THOSE DESERTS NAMED AFTER JOSE RIZAL..FOR THE WIN !

In addition, we're not business-minded enough.
This is true. I mean look at the list of richest Filipinos:

1. Jaime Zobel de Ayala & family
  2. Henry Sy & family
  3. Lucio Tan & family
  4. Andrew Tan
  5. Manuel Villar
  6. George Ty
  7. Andrew Gotianun
  8. Enrique Razon Jr.
  9. Tony Tan Caktiong & family
  10. Oscar Lopez & family
#1 - German and Spanish, 2-Chinese, 3-Chinese, 4-Chinese, 6-Chinese, 9-Chinese. More than half of the richest Filipinos aren't even from Filipinolineage.

It takes too long to cook and it's a tedious job just to get a bite because you're spending most of your time dissecting a fish.

In addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.

Well op asked why Filipino food hasn't gone mainstream, it is relevant. I don't know what to tell you, because I've never seen a non-local Filipino restaurant making it

Well op asked why Filipino food hasn't gone mainstream, it is relevant. I don't know what to tell you, because I've never seen a non- local Filipino restaurant making it

YOU LEFT OUT CHAD HUGO IN YOUR LIST OF FILIPINO-AMERICANS THAT ARE MAKING IT. THAT DOOT GOT GAME PON LOCK.

Fillipino food is pretty mediocre for the most part (a few exceptions). And this is coming from someone who will practically eat anything. Laotian food is nothittin' either.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

pics of the food?
Honestly, even for me now, the food still looks weird. I've never really seen a graceful presentation of pancit bihon or or palabok...it's usually just in a foil tray.

I love palabok...I haven't had Sisig in a long time. Including Lechon.

I think Filipino food has never gone mainstream because of the staple dishes of Filipino food are similar to other Asian dishes. I personally don't mind having the food stay "underground". It's food that I will always enjoy eating. I smh when a couple of "highly americanized" Filipinos dislike the taste of Filipino food. I just don't understand that. Haha.
Not sure if i was referred to as being "highly americanized" but thanks i appreciate that since i was born here
laugh.gif
. once i was able to go eat on my own and have access to other

cuisines, i just never had the desire for filipino food. i just don't think it can compete with other established ethnic foods.

Well op asked why Filipino food hasn't gone mainstream, it is relevant. I don't know what to tell you, because I've never seen a non- local Filipino restaurant making it
good lord....do you think all Filipino food has fish?

All I know is I'd be copping lumpia and pork inihaw every day. There's a little filipino resaturant/bar not too far from me here in Philly calledManila Bay, great food. And one of the biggest lounges here is Cebu. Last time I went there they were shut down though labeled as a public nuisance and firehazard. =(

Back
Top Bottom