Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

Someone already said it, there needs to be a higher demand. Marketing for a lot of Filipinos is usually through word of mouth, and surprisingly therearen't that many professional or top of the line Michelin chefs of the Filipino demographic.

As someone who grew up mostly in NorCal and moves back to SoCal (my original hometown area). A lot of Filipinos despite the population, always feel there"family recipes" are better than the next person and so forth. Also, take in consideration that many families don't like to expose thesetraditional dishes to the general public (possibly an unintentional underground culture) in the process. Living in the Bay Area, only in highly populatedFilipino areas (ie: Daly City, Hercules, Fairfield, etc.) , will you see a lot of stuff like this. But take it elsewhere and you'll probably get a flop.Even in LA/Orange County, the same thing occurs. I've been to a few restaurants here and there, despite the place having a decent population (ie: Cerritos,Carson, Eagle Rock, etc.) again most of the demand doesn't trickle down into other areas where it is more common and well known to order other cuisines:Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and etc.

i just don't think people know- plain and simple

the only thing they would see though is zimmern's take in bizarre foods
so that'll get people thinking oh they eat worms from trees and chicks in eggs.

bourdain however was able to show a more "palatable" selection of filipino cuisine
especially the lechon which he even said was the best he's ever had (with puerto rico coming 2nd)
i'm not saying he's the be all end all in roast pig ratings but i'll take his word before most of yours

anyway... i'll always have filipino food so in the end it's not much of a concern for me.
besides home, i gotta couple of fil-am restaurants around the way if i feel the need to eat out for a home cooked meal.

oh and filipino breakfasts FTW
longsilog, tapsilog, tocilog!??!!
couldn't want a better breakfast- that's the filipino grand slam

Filipino food isn't that great. No disrespect to any of the members, maybe its just me. As for the guy who said that most are nurses or engineers, there isabsolutely nothing wrong with that, you make it sound like thats something bad. Just for the record their are many filipinos that are successful thataren't nurses or w/e you had said.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

you guys eat left overs for breakfast

and don't mind cold food.
and even if you take that out the way, its not that great.
I live in a highly Filipino area and they have one or 2 buffets and I eat at my friend's house parties but its nothing I choose to remember.
I can vouch for him...since we both live in the same town...chill with the same filipino friends. I'm half puerto rican/filipino and i thinkfilipino food is way to unappealing. It's a mixture of all those cultures (asian, hispanic, black, etc.) but the food is reinvented with either pork orfish.

-for example (kare kare) is a form of oxtail stew.
-caribean oxtail > filipino style
-vietnamese oxtail in pho > filipino style

Overall, its overrated if you live in a filipino infested area. We have a whole ++$%$$% block dedicated to filipino food. Washington Avenue in bergenfield njAKA LITTLE MANILA.

None the less, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can only stand eating it at parties and thats all. Extremely unhealthy.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by AllDay AllNight

Originally Posted by derrty6232

pics of the food?
Honestly, even for me now, the food still looks weird. I've never really seen a graceful presentation of pancit bihon or or palabok...it's usually just in a foil tray.

But damn, it's delicious.
I love palabok...I haven't had Sisig in a long time. Including Lechon.

I think Filipino food has never gone mainstream because of the staple dishes of Filipino food are similar to other Asian dishes. I personally don't mind having the food stay "underground". It's food that I will always enjoy eating. I smh when a couple of "highly americanized" Filipinos dislike the taste of Filipino food. I just don't understand that. Haha.

it's starting to... i know they opened a Gerry's Grill in artesia and already have one in union city... and bro you gotta have the Sisig, damn thatstuff is good...

I just looked up balut and threw up in my mouth a little, no White Whitman. For real.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by uhhh ohhh

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

you guys eat left overs for breakfast

and don't mind cold food.
and even if you take that out the way, its not that great.
I live in a highly Filipino area and they have one or 2 buffets and I eat at my friend's house parties but its nothing I choose to remember.
I can vouch for him...since we both live in the same town...chill with the same filipino friends. I'm half puerto rican/filipino and i think filipino food is way to unappealing. It's a mixture of all those cultures (asian, hispanic, black, etc.) but the food is reinvented with either pork or fish.

-for example (kare kare) is a form of oxtail stew.
-caribean oxtail > filipino style
-vietnamese oxtail in pho > filipino style

Overall, its overrated if you live in a filipino infested area. We have a whole ++$%$$% block dedicated to filipino food. Washington Avenue in bergenfield nj AKA LITTLE MANILA.

None the less, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can only stand eating it at parties and thats all. Extremely unhealthy.
Sorry, but most of the restaurants there....the food there is nasty.. unappealing for sure... too oily, bland seasoning.

btw..your example of Kare Kare?... 1. it's not pork or fish as you clain. 2. almost every cuisine has an oxtail stew.. thatss not a great example.
but not every filipino dish is a "reinvention" of another cultures dish....but really...there are many foods that are borrowed from other cultures.

Makes me wonder if you guys have really eaten a good amount of Filipino food.

i think it has to do with the fact that filipinos assimilate very well. go to the philippines and you will see just as many american, chinese, japanese, etcrestaurants as you will filipino restaurants. filipinos are fine with eating the cuisine of cultures that influence them.

Most filipino dishes take a significant amount of time to prepare.
I know when my mom cooks, she won't be able to prepare meals for 20 - 30 minutes, unless it's something very basic.
It's not like Pho or Sushi, where they can be prepared in a short time span.
If there were a Filipino restaurant, the menu has to be 'watered-down'

The food hasn't hit big because we can't make it look prettier. The food lacks presentation and that is all. People saying the food isn't greatand all, probably isn't eating it right with the right sides therefore not getting all of that taste...

Because most of the food will give you a heart attack... (Lechon, Sisig, Bulalo, Chicharon...) jk
laugh.gif

Honestly, I think Balut is the reason...

IMO, Jollibee isn't real Filipino food...
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

It takes too long to cook and it's a tedious job just to get a bite because you're spending most of your time dissecting a fish.

In addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.

I am not Filipino, but..........

3573527f42cf72e46443bb56fdab1c61ccc6786.gif

Most of their food doesn't look appetizing at all. When people buy food they also pay for the appearance of it. Its just like when you are younger, youwon't eat something because of the way it looks.

I'm Filipino myself, and I honestly can't eat most Filipino cuisine. Only recipes I would eat are chicken adobo and pancit.

and
smh.gif
to aaronpayumo. Nice assumption there. My mom isa nurse and my dad is an engineer, and I do not plan to seek a job in either one of those fields.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

It takes too long to cook and it's a tedious job just to get a bite because you're spending most of your time dissecting a fish.

In addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.

The only Filipinos in the United States that I can think of that are really making it are the founders of Crooks & Castles and some club promoters.
I am not Filipino, but..........

3573527f42cf72e46443bb56fdab1c61ccc6786.gif

roll.gif
... and to aaronpayumo .. thats gotta be one of thestupidest things ive read on NT. and theres been a lot of stupid stuff on here.

Being in SD we got Jollibee, Chow King, Conchings, and Zarlitos.

Why I go there? I dunno, I get that !@#$ at home anyway.

indifferent.gif

n addition, we're not business-minded enough. Filipinos are raised to be nurses or engineers, and if they can't, they get a government or military profession.
indifferent.gif
My parents migrated to Cali on a BUSINESS Visaback in the 80s.. After 20 years of struggling, my family owns 3 banks in SoCal and a furniture export business. And I'm sure we're not the only oneswho don't rely on being nurses or being n the military. (definitely nothing wrong with that too)

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Most filipino dishes take a significant amount of time to prepare.
I know when my mom cooks, she won't be able to prepare meals for 20 - 30 minutes, unless it's something very basic.
It's not like Pho or Sushi, where they can be prepared in a short time span.
If there were a Filipino restaurant, the menu has to be 'watered-down'

What? That couldn't be further from the truth. Pho takes forever to make but yes, they make a huge batch and just leave the soup boiling for the whole day.Sushi ain't exactly fast to make either. They just prepare a lot ahead of time.

In any case, are there any really watered-down Filipino dishes? I mean, that's a good thing! You can't gomainstream if you're gonna go hardcore authentic. A person new to the cuisine just isn't going to eat that kinda stuff. Anyways, I'm Asian andwhite-washed as hell. I can only eat the noob dishes for all the Asian cuisines.. whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, etc..

Back
Top Bottom