Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

Originally Posted by frink85

on topic: ive had this discussion a lot with a friend lately (who's not filipino) and he thinks it's cause we don't have a signature dish like pho, sushi, orange chicken, curry, korean bbq etc. to draw in a crowd. I think it's that plus filipinos are relatively new (1970's-80's) in large numbers to the country and we're not mainstream yet. The article i posted said it better.

Filipinos are the actually the second largest Asian group in the United States but are sometimes called the "quiet minority".  For me, I think its the lack of media coverage that only focuses on Chinese and Japanese as the only Asian groups in America.

Even if Filipinos had a signature dish whether it be chicken adobo, dinuguan, pancit it lacks the media hype and people have prejudices towards it due to its appearance and or taste and people calling going "ewww" and "nasty".  Peoples prejudices towards something (like food), especially when they are the majority have a great impact on those in the minority because it affects the perceptions of it.

As big of a population that we have in the Bay Area, not one person can tell me a good Filipino restaurant in the Bay Area. I agree that Filipino food is probably served better at home but I still find it hard to believe that it can't translate in a full fledged restaurant properly. Indian food is sort of in that same category but I still find Indian food more appetizing.

I literally eat everything but for some odd reason, I have not ever eaten good Filipino food. I blame it on the lack of restaurants though. Anyone got any recommendations in the Bay Area, SF, Daily City area?

Just a small observation.

My main group of homies is Chinese and Vietnamese.  When we go out to eat, we constantly fight over where we're going.  Each culture wanting to eat their respective food.  (Although we usually just settle on VH or something)

When I see my Filipino friends though, they've NEVER taken me to eat at a Filipino place.  Not even Jollibees.

Do Filipino people actually hit Filipino restaurants on the regular?  Cuz i'm Chinese, and my goto Chinese restaurant has my phone number memorized.

bottom line is Filipino isn't as good compared to the majority of other Asian food

Even lesser known Asian cuisine like Sri Lankan or Indonesian are better

^^^^^Very true. I have/had tons of Filipino friends but none of them have ever had the craving to go and get some Filipino food nor did they even make it or whatever. And lumpia doesn't count.

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Do Filipino people actually hit Filipino restaurants on the regular?

For my fam, when we're too lazy to cook, we hit the local fast food filipino spot for take out. It's good, really greasy, but obviously doesn't hit the same way home cooked family recipe-type stuff does. Once in my life, I want to go to a gourmet/5-star style Filipino restaurant and see how it can be done. I really think there's a ton of potential, just need good chefs with creativity and guts.

I'm Filipino and I feel that most Filipino food itself is very unhealthy. I don't really go out of my way to go to restaurants since my mom's cooking is good enough.

IMO

Sashimi/Sushi >>>>>>>>> all other foods

I get sick of eating too much Chinese,Vietnamese, Thai, and american foods. One thing I can eat any day of the week is sushi/sashimi

two words.

bicol express.

pimp.gif

I had a bunch of filipino friends back in college and I'd always eat food at their place. The food is alright, nothing I would go out of my way for though.

As far as Jollibee goes, it's average if not below...I don't understand what the hype is.
I've had pansit and it was really bland and lumpia is just a Filipino version of a Chinese eggroll.
My co-workers have brought many dishes to potlucks, and it doesn't look too appealing.

That's just my take on it.

Tried Filipino food a couple of times at my friend's house. Didn't really like it. Vietnamese food ftw! I loove PHO.

You guys have to find eat real filipino food not that Jollibee crap ( they have great chicken btw). The actual $10-15 a plate type food not that fast cheap crap

i lived in both Southern California and PI.. (currently in PI now)   And growing up in SoCal, i never did enjoy Filipino food from the few restaurants that I've ate.  Then I moved here, and the upscale Filipino restaurants serve really good food.  I'm addicted to Lechon Kawali
pimp.gif
      Its so unhealthy though
laugh.gif
      I'm not into Jollibee's burgers.. when you burp, its got a strange after taste...  hella nasty.  Chicken is aite though

Originally Posted by Luong1209

As far as Jollibee goes, it's average if not below...I don't understand what the hype is.

If you didn't grow up eating Jollibee then by any means I'll agree with you.

Some people grew up eating Jollibee . It'd be difficult for a non-Filipino to really understand why Pinoys love it, but in a nut-shell, it's American Fast food with a Filipino taste.

PS
I could have some Peach Mango pie right now
frown.gif
When I hit the lottery I'll franchise one in Toronto

peach_mango_pie.jpg

I had a bunch of filipino friends back in college and I'd always eat food at their place. The food is alright, nothing I would go out of my way for though.

They'll always offer you food. It's in our culture. Like cot damn we just ate lunch and an hour after we got "merienda" being cooked already
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I love the article that someone posted earlier. Those Sous Chefs from Cordon Bleu and what not need to step up and represent instead of staying on the line all the time.
With that said I do agree with the main points:

-Lack of Uniformity

-Cheap on ingredients (which would mean cheap on presentation)

-Lack of knowledge with what's being offered.

Everyone in here justifies the claim of having Filipino food categorize simply as: Balut, Lumpia, Dinuguan, Adobo, and Dog (for Crux's sake). But that's definitely far from the truth. There are vegetable and fish offerings: "Papaitan, Sinigang, Labahita, Bangus, and etc." On top of that, I feel every cuisine (with the exception of French and Italian). A lot of foods became acceptable, because they were more friendly to the "American palette," for which the excuse of it being 'too exotic' is also blasphemy. There are many Indian, Korean, and etc. dishes that I wouldn't eat for crap. But you don't see me going all ignorant about it. Chef Graham Elliott, from GE restaurant uses a lot of influence in his food from his time as a navy kid (including living in the Philippines, reference Top Chef Masters: preliminary). If he can bring out a positive and high end vibe in his dishes, then these Filipino talented cooks can do the same.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

I love the article that someone posted earlier. Those Sous Chefs from Cordon Bleu and what not need to step up and represent instead of staying on the line all the time.

I agree. From the way the chefs were talking, it sounded like they were hesitant, almost scared, because it's not an established cuisine. Well here's your chance to be a pioneer, run with it. There's plenty of support for you (if it's good, of course)

Tropical Hut > Jollibee.

I usually don't like eating at filipino restaurants but the palabok at Crystal's was one of the most amazing things i've ever eaten.  I thought that pork bbq sticks would be more popular with non-filipinos.

ive always thought this my in-laws can cook up s storm !!!!! i told them if i ever fell into some money that imma make them open up a restaurant and make bank
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom