why do black people ruin their career by attending a HBCU?

Fam in all honesty, every school is racially stratified. The blacks are gonna hang out with the blacks, the international students with international students,the whites with the whites. There is no such thing as diversity
laugh.gif
. Every Friday/Saturday night I wish I were at Howard or A&T where I could really enjoymyself. It's graduate school that really matters. Nowadays, your undergraduate experience should be somewhere where you can enjoy yourself and be yourself.I for one can't do that at Cornell to the extent I would be able to at say... a Howard or a Morehouse.

Mayor really does hate himself, I feel kinda bad for you. There's no way you actually think like this, this has to be part of your internet personality orsomething. You coming off as an Uncle Tom.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Anyhow I know people who have graduated from HBCUs like Hampton, Norfolk State (ghetto as it is), North Carolina A&T and none of them seem to be having any problems getting into the corporate world.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by Ebonics

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

it's sad that majority of black people always feel inferior and insecure around white people.

These schools y'all claim are "diverse" are not diverse at all...they are predominately white.

NYU

International: 5%
African American: 5%
Asian: 17%
Caucasian: 50%
Hispanic: 8%
Native American: 0%

Where is the diversity you speak of?
well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black
Proved yourself to be a cornball once again...carry on and soak up the attention.
just respect my opinion, because i respect yours

Originally Posted by Da iBanker

As a black male i get mad that the kids from the HBCU's get picked for programs over me because they have better GPA's. Recruiters are now focusing their attention to HBCU's to recruit the "cream of the crop" black students. I think that is pretty dumb but I guess I just have to work harder.
Why would it be dumb to recruit at an HBCU and why wouldnt you want the kids with the highest GPA?

You got to be up to your old tricks and trolling right now. You can't be genuinely spewing this nonsense expecting respect in return. Out.

As a black male i get mad that the kids from the HBCU's get picked for programs over me because they have better GPA's. Recruiters are now focusing their attention to HBCU's to recruit the "cream of the crop" black students. I think that is pretty dumb but I guess I just have to work harder.
laugh.gif
what? jesus christ.

you said it yourself, they have better GPAs than you. that probably has something to do with why they get recruited more. obviously you need tostep your game up instead of complaining.

tired.gif

step your GPA game up then. I seriously don't get that one....

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black

wow are you serious?
indifferent.gif

why is a school that is 50% or more white better than one that is 99% black? Demographics has nothing to do with quality of education.

Originally Posted by AME416

Originally Posted by ProduccionFrescos

the majority of the faces people will encouter in whatever career you chooses will be white. I think most black people know how to deal with each other but are uncomfortable dealing with other races, sending them to all black colleges does NOT give them the diversity that they need to deal with corporate America. i think that too many of our people are intimidated by whites because of the "keep it all black" mentality that some of us have.i can honestly sit here and say that anybody hiring students are going to chekc their college and see a non diversified school like a HBCU and not hire them based on that. because most likley the employer is going to think you cant deal with a diverse envionment and won't be used to other forms of people
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]C'mon fam[/color]
smh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

Terrible.

damn shame.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by potus2028

So would a white person ruin their career by goin 2, say UC Berkeley or Nebraska? Aint much diversity there eitha, I'd imagine. Are you insinuating that HBCU's and the education/experience thereof are somehow inferior? You being black, you should be ashamed of that attitude. Oh, and HBCU's are just that...HISTORICALLY black...I want 2 Morgan 4 a while, and it had a healthy population of non blacks.

word son. one of my good friends graduated from howard two semesters ago and got a job as a corporate buyer for macys right out of school.
Also when i went there to check out the school, i saw about an equal amount of blacks and non-blacks. going to an HBCU doesnt mean youre shutting yourself outfrom other races, it just means that the college you choose to go to happens to have a rich african american history.

Originally Posted by LLC Money

Didn't you make a post not too long ago asking NT for advice on saving for a 96 hyundai or attending community college this fall?

Lol, yup, thats him. Same dude that just got a job at Popeyes fryin chicken and cleanin bathrooms. Got the nerve to talk about the next man's education.

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

i hear there's nothing to do there unless you're in a frat, so i'm gonna guess that you aren't in one?

Originally Posted by mdresident

Didn't you make a post not too long ago asking NT for advice on saving for a 96 hyundai or attending community college this fall?

Lol, yup, thats him. Same dude that just got a job at Popeyes fryin chicken and cleanin bathrooms. Got the nerve to talk about the next man's education.
what does saving for a car(not a hyundai) and working at a fast food joint have anything to do with getting an education?..sorry that i dont haverich parents to give me money for a nice car and free money every week

There's a grain of truth to what he's saying, but ultimately going to a top HBCU like Morehouse or Howard helps you get into a top grad school. A lotof top business/medical/law schools actively pursue applicants from these schools more so than applicants at several schools that are generally viewed as moreselective or academically rigorous.

Attending an HBCU could be the best academically-oriented decision one makes.

Now if we're talking about broadening one's horizons, etc., then your argument holds more weight.

Originally Posted by mdresident

Morehouse
PV for Nursing
Howard
Hampton
TSU Pharmacy

All those are good black schools, I don't see anything wrong with obtanaining a degree.

If you can ruin your career going to ANY school, if your grades, resume, expierence, and etc are on point, you can get hired.

Originally Posted by Kneesh

I saw this . I went to HL Richards in Oak Lawn , (the school D. Wade went and graduated from) , and that was High School . I think kids need to be in a diverse environment . It is very mandatory . I'm not saying that you won't succeed if you don't go to a diverse college though . You surely can ... but ehh . I didn't even WANT to go to a all black college ... I mean they're cool ... but are you learning about other cultures ? I went to Loyola for a reason ...
They teach you a LOT at black schools, sometime too much because they use it as a cushion.

Originally Posted by ESPNonthescreen

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

i hear there's nothing to do there unless you're in a frat, so i'm gonna guess that you aren't in one?
Yea, this school sucks #%%, and that's a pretty decent assessment. I am, however, waiting for Spring Rush to holla @ them Black & Goldboys
nerd.gif

if you are an employer in a business atmosphere..and theres two black guys applying for the same position with the same credientials and everything..are you going to hire the guy who came from howard or the other guy who came from a diversified school?...heres the perk/catch..you are a WHITE employer
TOO many other things factor into this situation than just diversity of the school, fam (i.e. ranking/quality of the schools, interviews, GPA, thejob being applied for). You can't conclude *@!@ simply based on the diversity of the school.

Agreed on the "you should enjoy yourself" comments from other posters. College is supposed to be the mostfun four years of your life. This may seem childish to some, but your "fit" and how much fun you have should be much bigger factors than thediversity of a school. With that being said, some people will have more fun at a HBCU, and you can't knock 'em for that. The fact of the matter iscompanies/employers will recruit at a LOT of colleges, and no recruiter of any race will rule you out just because you went to an HBCU.

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

Fam in all honesty, every school is racially stratified. The blacks are gonna hang out with the blacks, the international students with international students, the whites with the whites. There is no such thing as diversity
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Fam, here on North Campus, the people in Ujamaa only hangout with each other. During orientation week, if my friends and I tried to get acquainted with a group of black people or tried to eat at a table with blackpeople, we'd get the
indifferent.gif
with the quickness.
laugh.gif

i think every black person in college has seen this argument. i would say it ruins careers, i would say it puts people at a disadvantage. if college is amicrocosm of the real world then HBCU's give a very unrealistic view of the world. Some (not all) HBCU students will be put at an automatic disadvantagewhen it comes to interactions in the predominately white business world because it takes different social skills to interact with white people. Not to mentionthe stereotypes employers will have when they see a HBCU on a resume.

again, not bashing HBCU's we all know that FAMU, morehouse, howard and spellman are some top notch schools

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

There's a grain of truth to what he's saying, but ultimately going to a top HBCU like Morehouse or Howard helps you get into a top grad school. A lot of top business/medical/law schools actively pursue applicants from these schools more so than applicants at several schools that are generally viewed as more selective or academically rigorous.

Attending an HBCU could be the best academically-oriented decision one makes.

Now if we're talking about broadening one's horizons, etc., then your argument holds more weight.
I went to HU and the undergrad program def isn't anything impressive. I don't sugar-coat things so its not that I sound bitter orwhatever, but the school is pretty much a joke. I can respect the fact that they aren't as selective as they could be and thus let in a lot of people thatprobably wouldn't get into surrounding schools in the DC-area...I can respect that they have a pro-Black focus...but to me, actions always speak louderthan words and there were a lot of actions and BS that you have to go through at HU that surrounding schools in the area - and the nation - don't havepresent. A lot of hoops students don't have to jump through. HU was once a great school, but I think they're living off their history as opposed totrying to create a future. Anybody that thinks HU is a top school should really go for a visit...

And the OP makes a point. I went to an HBCU and a 'regular' university and I def had a more realistic and productive encounter at the 'regular'school. The idea of an HBCU is a noble one and it served its purpose but I think a lot of kids go to one and then they come out with the wrong mentality andthose are the people that give HBCU's a bad name...

Back
Top Bottom