why do black people ruin their career by attending a HBCU?

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

Originally Posted by ESPNonthescreen

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

i hear there's nothing to do there unless you're in a frat, so i'm gonna guess that you aren't in one?
Yea, this school sucks #%%, and that's a pretty decent assessment. I am, however, waiting for Spring Rush to holla @ them Black & Gold boys
nerd.gif
My dude impala doesn't like it, but most people on campus are definitely enjoying themselves. Being in a frat doesn't really changeanything either. You can still go to their parties and get drunk as **%% regardless of whether you're in the frat or not. Having come from Cali, however,Ithaca as a town is boring as **%%.

Originally Posted by sStutter

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

i hear there's nothing to do there unless you're in a frat, so i'm gonna guess that you aren't in one?
Yea, this school sucks #%%, and that's a pretty decent assessment. I am, however, waiting for Spring Rush to holla @ them Black & Gold boys
nerd.gif
My dude impala doesn't like it, but most people on campus are definitely enjoying themselves. Being in a frat doesn't really change anything either. You can still go to their parties and get drunk as **%% regardless of whether you're in the frat or not. Having come from Cali, however, Ithaca as a town is boring as **%%.

Home of AphiA?

Dude this post makes no sense. I know someone that works for Coke that went to Hampton with me. I know someone that works for Pfizer that went to Hampton withme. I know someone that works for Geico that went to Hampton with me . All three are in mid to high level positions within their organizations. All three areunder the age of 30. That's just three folks from just one school. It's a ton of folks that I either don't know or don't keep up with that aredoing just as well. HBCUs are not the road to career death as you think they are. The student has to 1) produce in school 2)gain experience through internshipsand part time jobs 3) build themselves up to be a worthy hire. School is what you make it. You can study hard and sacrifice or you can get drunk and %$$% allday. It's your decision.

oh yeah, I work in marketing for CTA and plan to move for a better opportunity and I didn't do as much as my three school mates. I'm the youngestprogram coordinator there.

YOUR THREAD FAILS

someone cue the pics

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

nerd.gif
My dude impala doesn't like it, but most people on campus are definitely enjoying themselves. Being in a frat doesn't really change anything either. You can still go to their parties and get drunk as **%% regardless of whether you're in the frat or not. Having come from Cali, however, Ithaca as a town is boring as **%%.

Home of AphiA?
Yeah its home of the ALphas... 1906..... and dudee divine 9 doesnt "rush"......good luck though in the future
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

nerd.gif
Well it's not TOOOOO bad, but like you said u came from Cali, I came from NYC. This %++# is horrific lol. And yea, you can pretty much go toany frat during the weekend and get hammered, my only problem with that is it's always friggin keystone light.
smh.gif
I'm trying to get straight to thepoint, pass me something I can light on fire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ebonics

if you are an employer in a business atmosphere..and theres two black guys applying for the same position with the same credientials and everything..are you going to hire the guy who came from howard or the other guy who came from a diversified school?...heres the perk/catch..you are a WHITE employer
TOO many other things factor into this situation than just diversity of the school, fam (i.e. ranking/quality of the schools, interviews, GPA, the job being applied for). You can't conclude *@!@ simply based on the diversity of the school.

Agreed on the "you should enjoy yourself" comments from other posters. College is supposed to be the most fun four years of your life. This may seem childish to some, but your "fit" and how much fun you have should be much bigger factors than the diversity of a school. With that being said, some people will have more fun at a HBCU, and you can't knock 'em for that. The fact of the matter is companies/employers will recruit at a LOT of colleges, and no recruiter of any race will rule you out just because you went to an HBCU.

Fam in all honesty, every school is racially stratified. The blacks are gonna hang out with the blacks, the international students with international students, the whites with the whites. There is no such thing as diversity
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Fam, here on North Campus, the people in Ujamaa only hang out with each other. During orientation week, if my friends and I tried to get acquainted with a group of black people or tried to eat at a table with black people, we'd get the
indifferent.gif
with the quickness.
laugh.gif
Yea, it's ridiculous lol. I stay in JAM and the people in there are mostly squares, but I definitely see what you mean. The only group Ireally see mixed are me and a few of the dudes I roll with, but that's only because we're all from the city and all NTrs. What dorm you in?

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

didnt u go to community college fam..
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by FreddyPee

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

nerd.gif

Home of AphiA?
Yeah its home of the ALphas... 1906..... and dudee divine 9 doesnt "rush"......good luck though in the future
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Well yea I know, but I didn't know what else to call it here lol. Good lookin out though.

Well it's not TOOOOO bad, but like you said u came from Cali, I came from NYC. This %++# is horrific lol. And yea, you can pretty much go to any frat during the weekend and get hammered, my only problem with that is it's always friggin keystone light.
smh.gif
I'm trying to get straight to the point, pass me something I can light on fire.
laugh.gif

Yea, it's ridiculous lol. I stay in JAM and the people in there are mostly squares, but I definitely see what you mean. The only group I really see mixed are me and a few of the dudes I roll with, but that's only because we're all from the city and all NTrs. What dorm you in?
I live in Low Rise 6, but I chill a lot in Donlon and Balch. For real, Keystone Light is closer to water than real beer.
smh.gif
I always have topregame on vodka before going to a real party because I know Keystone Light won't really do ###+.

Originally Posted by FreddyPee

impalaballa187

you go to Cornell?

nerd.gif

Home of AphiA?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Well yea I know, but I didn't know what else to call it here lol. Good lookin out though.

yeah np....I know a thing or two....hit me up if you need info in the future...

Everybody goes to school for different reasons. 'Success' means something different to everyone. The corporate world is not a goal for everyone thatattends university. All you should do is worry about yourself.

As far as the interaction in the corporate world goes, every new graduate faces the same challenge. The generation gap. White kids have this problem as well.

Originally Posted by haiti5

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

didnt u go to community college fam..
eyes.gif

My brother goes to Cornell also. He likes it a lot from what I can tell and he's black. He is in a frat though and I think the majority of people in thefrat are white.

I sort of see where the OP is coming from. Getting a taste of different cultures is a great way to learn about new people and experience new things. It'simportant to get out of your comfort zone once in a while and see what is out there. I'm not saying you can't do this at a HBCU though. If you want togo to an HBCU and still get involved with other cultures you can just do it outside of school at different events and activities.

To the OP: you said you are going to SBU in the Spring? When was the spring application deadline? I'm considering stony for my sophomore year but there area bunch of other schools I'm putting before it.

Some of the most prolific Black people in American history have gone to HBCU's. So this thread is dumb. And I go to a whire school by the way, and thewhite people segregate themselves anyway so whats the difference?

Originally Posted by vcof2005

Some of the most prolific Black people in American history have gone to HBCU's. So this thread is dumb. And I go to a whire school by the way, and the white people segregate themselves anyway so whats the difference?
I don't think this thread is dumb at all. I think the OP has a point that could have been made a lot more clearly and more diplomatically soit wouldn't come across as a generalized attack on HBCU's...but there is some truth, having attended an HBCU and a 'regular' school and seeingthe products of both schools...

Originally Posted by ProduccionFrescos

the majority of the faces people will encouter in whatever career you chooses will be white. I think most black people know how to deal with each other but are uncomfortable dealing with other races, sending them to all black colleges does NOT give them the diversity that they need to deal with corporate America. i think that too many of our people are intimidated by whites because of the "keep it all black" mentality that some of us have.i can honestly sit here and say that anybody hiring students are going to chekc their college and see a non diversified school like a HBCU and not hire them based on that. because most likley the employer is going to think you cant deal with a diverse envionment and won't be used to other forms of people
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]C'mon fam[/color]
smh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

Some of the most prolific Black people in American history have gone to HBCU's. So this thread is dumb. And I go to a whire school by the way, and the white people segregate themselves anyway so whats the difference?
I don't think this thread is dumb at all. I think the OP has a point that could have been made a lot more clearly and more diplomatically so it wouldn't come across as a generalized attack on HBCU's...but there is some truth, having attended an HBCU and a 'regular' school and seeing the products of both schools...
Aren't you a pig?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

I don't think this thread is dumb at all. I think the OP has a point that could have been made a lot more clearly and more diplomatically so it wouldn't come across as a generalized attack on HBCU's...but there is some truth, having attended an HBCU and a 'regular' school and seeing the products of both schools...
Aren't you a pig?
Nope. But what relevance does that have to do with what I said? Do you have something productive to add or did you just want to make that comment?Do that Huey avatar of yours justice and give an intelligent comment...

Im 1000% sure that you were claiming to be a police officer in the MD/DC area.....

Which on are you lying about....Your profession or your schooling?

the majority of the faces people will encouter in whatever career you chooses will be white. I think most black people know how to deal with each other but are uncomfortable dealing with other races, sending them to all black colleges does NOT give them the diversity that they need to deal with corporate America. i think that too many of our people are intimidated by whites because of the "keep it all black" mentality that some of us have.i can honestly sit here and say that anybody hiring students are going to chekc their college and see a non diversified school like a HBCU and not hire them based on that. because most likley the employer is going to think you cant deal with a diverse envionment and won't be used to other forms ofpeople

Cosign...a lot of my relatives were trying to convince me to apply to Morehouse but I'd rather go to Univesity of Michigan or something that whitesactually recognize because they are the ones who will be hiring me.

Back
Top Bottom