why do black people ruin their career by attending a HBCU?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Im 1000% sure that you were claiming to be a police officer in the MD/DC area.....

Which on are you lying about....Your profession or your schooling?
Ahhh, "POLICE OFFICER", there we go. And yes, I am one. "Pig"? No. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Huey P or learning fromhis teachings. I know I did. And judging from your avatar, you have as well. But if you stereotype and disrespect all police-officers, or any group for thatmater, I believe you are doing a disservice to what you have read and what the entire movement stood for...

Second, I went to HU and transfered to UMD. Hence I said, I went to both an HBCU and a 'regular' school and had seen the products of both. Reading isfundamental. If you really want to know my business, I'm back at UMD part time. So I'm 'lying' about neither. And if I may ask, why thehostility, brother?

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Originally Posted by Ebonics

the majority of the faces people will encouter in whatever career you chooses will be white. I think most black people know how to deal with each other but are uncomfortable dealing with other races, sending them to all black colleges does NOT give them the diversity that they need to deal with corporate America. i think that too many of our people are intimidated by whites because of the "keep it all black" mentality that some of us have.i can honestly sit here and say that anybody hiring students are going to chekc their college and see a non diversified school like a HBCU and not hire them based on that. because most likley the employer is going to think you cant deal with a diverse envionment and won't be used to other forms ofpeople

Cosign...a lot of my relatives were trying to convince me to apply to Morehouse but I'd rather go to Univesity of Michigan or something that whites actually recognize because they are the ones who will be hiring me.

Some of you guys kill me. If thats how u feel, then why don't you go to Morehouse and apply to black owned businesses. Stop thinking your inferior tothese white people.

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

Im 1000% sure that you were claiming to be a police officer in the MD/DC area.....

Ahhh, "POLICE OFFICER", there we go. And yes, I am one. "Pig"? No. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Huey P or learning from his teachings. I know I did. And judging from your avatar, you have as well. But if you stereotype and disrespect all police-officers, or any group for that mater, I believe you are doing a disservice to what you have read and what the entire movement stood for...

Second, I went to HU and transfered to UMD. Hence I said, I went to both an HBCU and a 'regular' school and had seen the products of both. Reading is fundamental. If you really want to know my business, I'm back at UMD part time. So I'm 'lying' about neither. And if I may ask, why the hostility, brother?

We've went back and forth on the subject of the police force before, i'm not trying to go down that path again...I brought up the fact about you beinga pig to put your opinions on this particular subject in context.

Ahhh, "POLICE OFFICER", there we go. And yes, I am one. "Pig"? No. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Huey P or learning from his teachings. I know I did. And judging from your avatar, you have as well. But if you stereotype and disrespect all police-officers, or any group for that mater, I believe you are doing a disservice to what you have read and what the entire movement stood for...

Second, I went to HU and transfered to UMD. Hence I said, I went to both an HBCU and a 'regular' school and had seen the products of both. Reading is fundamental. If you really want to know my business, I'm back at UMD part time. So I'm 'lying' about neither. And if I may ask, why the hostility, brother?

We've went back and forth on the subject of the police force before, i'm not trying to go down that path again...I brought up the fact about you being a pig to put your opinions on this particular subject in context.
Trust me, if you're ignorant enough to stereotype and disrespect all police-officers, you're not worth the time of day to have a rationaldiscussion with. So don't worry about going down THAT path again...

And to anyone that may believe I am 'biased' against HBCU's (Despite voluntarily going to one), I'll just say that while I feel HU has a longway to go before it can return to its past glory, there's a few progressive ones that I'd recommend: Morehouse, Hampton and Bowie State immediatelycome to mind...

I still want somebody to explain to me why they assume that black people who attend an HBCU have never and don't know how to interact with white people.Again, we're the 13% minority, chances are in the 18 years you have been alive you have interacted with many. You all act like black people live in allblack cities, all black neighborhoods, all black schools, all black everything, then an HBCU, then will see a white person for the first time and freeze up atan interview or after getting a job. And furthermore, what is the difference with interacting with a black person versus a white person, in the businessenvironment. Another poster hit it right on the head, it's the generation gap (you're going to be llike 25ish when you first get your "good #++job") that's more noticeable

. I'm 23, by far the youngest in the office I work in. My coworker is 55, supervisor is 53 or 54, and the other one is about 42 or so. Coworker is Mexicanand the 2 supervisors are white, and again, there's nothing different about interacting with them versus if they were black. I still speak"normal" English to them and them to me. We all can easily hold a conversation with each other. There's some awkwardness between myself and thefemale supervisor but that's more sexual tension because I know we both want to #!@! each other but several social societal barriers make it damn nearimpossible to bring up because there's no appropriate to do so or say it.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I still want somebody to explain to me why they assume that black people who attend an HBCU have never and don't know how to interact with white people. Again, we're the 13% minority, chances are in the 18 years you have been alive you have interacted with many. You all act like black people live in all black cities, all black neighborhoods, all black schools, all black everything, then an HBCU, then will see a white person for the first time and freeze up at an interview or after getting a job. And furthermore, what is the difference with interacting with a black person versus a white person, in the business environment. Another poster hit it right on the head, it's the generation gap (you're going to be llike 25ish when you first get your "good #++ job") that's more noticeable

. I'm 23, by far the youngest in the office I work in. My coworker is 55, supervisor is 53 or 54, and the other one is about 42 or so. Coworker is Mexican and the 2 supervisors are white, and again, there's nothing different about interacting with them versus if they were black. I still speak "normal" English to them and them to me. We all can easily hold a conversation with each other. There's some awkwardness between myself and the female supervisor but that's more sexual tension because I know we both want to #!@! each other but several social societal barriers make it damn near impossible to bring up because there's no appropriate to do so or say it.

I believe that White people are no longer the majority in the country, population wise. Correct me if I'm wrong. HOWEVER, White people still dominate thepolitical sphere, the corporate sector, etc. So even if they don't have the 'quantity', they have the quality. If one wanted to put it that way...

How does that come into play? I don't think it does up until a point. And this is where I've seen HBCU's 'affect' some people. I'veseen some people who are from predominately Black neighborhoods and have never had the access to diversity and being around 'others'. So going to anHBCU doesn't help to broaden their horizons as say a 'regular' school would. For example, my cousin goes to Coppin State which is in Baltimore.There's a lot of people that go there that are from the inner-city of Baltimore and they have VERY little experience with Whites and others, or theexperiences they did have were negative. So then they go to an HBCU and its all the same thing over again...

And to be honest, there's a positive in that because HBCU's do instill the sense of being proud of who you are and always 'representing' withpride and dignity. And a lot of HBCU students look at it like that. However, there are those who will graduate and then go through a culture-shock of sortswhen they enter corporate America and they are in the minority and have to work with, and for, people they have never had significant interaction with. At thatpoint its sink or swim. And college, always touted as being the 'preparer' for the real-world, is a much better and easier place for this transition tobe made than while on the job. Its not as though you need to be best-friends with your co-worker or your boss but for some people, that IS a tough-transitionto make...

Off-topic, but for me, I grew up in a very diverse area but it was just by chance that while in high-school and my first years of college, I always ended uphaving Black managers and superiors at work. And its not that they 'cut me slack', it was just a bit of an unspoken relationship that we had. The sensethat they cared, and I def respected that and they made me a better person for it. However, it was almost a blessing and a curse because when I got my firstjob where there wasn't a Black in charge, there was a noticeable shift from how I was treated. And thats not a complaint or even a bad thing, its justsomething I noticed. There was no one 'looking out' for me. And this happened to me living in a diverse area. So for someone coming from apredominately-Black area and then going to an HBCU, I think they are the ones who have the probability of 'missing out' and having to play catch-uplater...

^ Black people growing up around only black people is by far the minority. Even if you wanted to, it'd be damn near impossible to avoid"diversity," which for the sake of this topic seems to mean being around people not of your skin color. The culture shock is what exactly? Probablysomething stereotypical like oh no, nobody bought Kool Aid to Organization Day pot luck. They talk different? Again, you're at least 22 years old now and acollege grad, I'm sure they have learned how to speak, unless of course going to an all black school their black teachers let them skate by.

I've had black and white supervisors, some were nice, some weren't. The worse of all of them, however, happened to be a black dude and thisMexican-black lady named Roberta at another job. It's a stupid thought to even contemplate though. It had nothing to do with them being black, they werejust !@*%@!#% because they are !@*%@!#%, and furthermore as a supervisor (and the other was a Colonel) it's somewhat your job to be anyways. I highly doubtthat if I apply to a job where I'm working with more black people, they're going to just let me slack because (*right fist up*), we're brothers,like old LeRoy sent all the white dudes to go out and do all the work but he and I are just going to chill in the office and watch B.E.T.

There are far greater "whites" who grow up in entirely white rural/suburban American communities...go to predominantly white institutions (whichGREATLY outnumber HBCs)....work at predominantly white companies and have virtually no interaction with "blacks" whatsoever....but that's allgood right? I have never heard anyone question that.

"Blacks" already suffer from a debilitating "double-consciousness". It doesn't matter where you grow up in America...if you are black,you have to learn to deal with whites at the risk dying or being imprisoned. Many of these so-called institutions of higher learning only exasperate thatsituation and totally warp "black" self-image and logical self-interest.

i didnt read the whole thread but i went to jackson state and i currently work as a recruiter for a few fortune 500 companies....

believe it or not, when some companies are looking to add diversity to their workplace they look to recruit at HBCU's.

i think there are pros and cons to attending black schools just like there's pros and cons to attending a majority white school.

I've ran across a lot of blacks who think they're better because they DID NOT attend an HBCU. College is what you make, no matter where you went toschool.

There are far greater "whites" who grow up in entirely white rural/suburban American communities...go to predominantly white institutions (which GREATLY outnumber HBCs)....work at predominantly white companies and have virtually no interaction with "blacks" whatsoever....but that's all good right? I have never heard anyone question that.

"Blacks" already suffer from a debilitating "double-consciousness". It doesn't matter where you grow up in America...if you are black, you have to learn to deal with whites at the risk dying or being imprisoned. Many of these so-called institutions of higher learning only exasperate that situation and totally warp "black" self-image and logical self-interest.
The difference between Whites growing up in predominately White areas and going to White schools, working at White places, etc is that Whitesdon't HAVE to constantly prove themselves like we Black do. As you stated, we Blacks have a harder hand dealt to us off the bat than almost everybody else.However, to me, the best way to know the beast is to learn about it and be prepared for it. In my view, the best way of doing that is during the college-yearsbefore entering the work-force, which, will typically not be 'predominately-Black'...

My point is, I go to a white school and people still segregate themselves and the teachers treat you like just another number. At HBCU's, from whati've seen and been told, teachers care more and realize they hold your future in their hands. Most white schools, the professors are here from research andcare less about passing or failing you. This is just my observation.

^ Black people growing up around only black people is by far the minority. Even if you wanted to, it'd be damn near impossible to avoid "diversity," which for the sake of this topic seems to mean being around people not of your skin color. The culture shock is what exactly? Probably something stereotypical like oh no, nobody bought Kool Aid to Organization Day pot luck. They talk different? Again, you're at least 22 years old now and a college grad, I'm sure they have learned how to speak, unless of course going to an all black school their black teachers let them skate by.

I've had black and white supervisors, some were nice, some weren't. The worse of all of them, however, happened to be a black dude and this Mexican-black lady named Roberta at another job. It's a stupid thought to even contemplate though. It had nothing to do with them being black, they were just !@*%@!#% because they are !@*%@!#%, and furthermore as a supervisor (and the other was a Colonel) it's somewhat your job to be anyways. I highly doubt that if I apply to a job where I'm working with more black people, they're going to just let me slack because (*right fist up*), we're brothers, like old LeRoy sent all the white dudes to go out and do all the work but he and I are just going to chill in the office and watch B.E.T.
In regards to the first paragraph, again, some, not all, of the students I've met go from an HBCU to the 'real world' with a skewedversion of what real-life will be. In my own personal experiences, I've noticed intangibles working with Black vs. Whites and its not as though I'muncultured or have been surrounded by Blacks throughout my life, its just how I experienced things on the job. So I can def. understand someone thats grown uparound mostly Blacks and then going to an all Black (majority) school and then going to the White-dominated corporate America and then just having to make asubtle transition...

To me, it was almost a culture shock going from living in the predominately White suburbs outside of DC with only having a small clique of us Black studentsand then going to HU where Blacks dominated the population. I used to be the only Black kid, or maybe 3 or 4 others in the AP and honors classes and it sucked.Then going to an HBCU where the smartest, dumbest and everybody in-between was Black? It was something new. So I can only imagine there would be a similarexperience, except magnified, if the roles were reversed. Especially when this role reversal is taking place in the workplace as opposed to the comparativelyrelaxed setting of college...

I nominate this the dumbest thread in NT history.

...I, an HBCU graduate, beat out over 10 candidates from FSU, & University of Florida to launch my career (Executive Development Program for Macy'sCredit Services). Head over heels

...You should improve the image of the school, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by vcof2005

My point is, I go to a white school and people still segregate themselves and the teachers treat you like just another number. At HBCU's, from what i've seen and been told, teachers care more and realize they hold your future in their hands. Most white schools, the professors are here from research and care less about passing or failing you. This is just my observation.
For me, thats how it was at my jobs where my employers were Black vs White, as I referenced in my previous post...

There are far greater "whites" who grow up in entirely white rural/suburban American communities...go to predominantly white institutions (which GREATLY outnumber HBCs)....work at predominantly white companies and have virtually no interaction with "blacks" whatsoever....but that's all good right? I have never heard anyone question that.

"Blacks" already suffer from a debilitating "double-consciousness". It doesn't matter where you grow up in America...if you are black, you have to learn to deal with whites at the risk dying or being imprisoned. Many of these so-called institutions of higher learning only exasperate that situation and totally warp "black" self-image and logical self-interest.
The difference between Whites growing up in predominately White areas and going to White schools, working at White places, etc is that Whites don't HAVE to constantly prove themselves like we Black do. As you stated, we Blacks have a harder hand dealt to us off the bat than almost everybody else. However, to me, the best way to know the beast is to learn about it and be prepared for it. In my view, the best way of doing that is during the college-years before entering the work-force, which, will typically not be 'predominately-Black'...

co-sign..but on the other hand...whats the graduation rate at a HBCU?

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

it's sad that majority of black people always feel inferior and insecure around white people.

These schools y'all claim are "diverse" are not diverse at all...they are predominately white.

NYU

International: 5%
African American: 5%
Asian: 17%
Caucasian: 50%
Hispanic: 8%
Native American: 0%

Where is the diversity you speak of?
well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black

Ebonics=
but on a serious note,im attending norfolk state in the spring(although im second guessing heavily after reading this thread)but i dont think your futuredepends on your diploma,and if indeed it should,i wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.I am in no way afraid of caucasian people and thatwasn't my reasoning for applying to an hbcu.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

i didnt read the whole thread but i went to jackson state and i currently work as a recruiter for a few fortune 500 companies....

believe it or not, when some companies are looking to add diversity to their workplace they look to recruit at HBCU's.

i think there are pros and cons to attending black schools just like there's pros and cons to attending a majority white school.

I've ran across a lot of blacks who think they're better because they DID NOT attend an HBCU. College is what you make, no matter where you went to school.
^ Agreed. College is what you make out of it. Companies defin look at top HBCUs when recruiting.

again people overestimate the difference between interacting with a black person versus a white person, particularly in a business setting where the parameters are pretty set in stone as far as what is acceptable and not. I said the same thing last time, but it's like you believe we'll show up to a corporate interview in a G Unit velour and try to give the HR person daps and handpounds instead of a handshake.
I highly doubt that if I apply to a job where I'm working with more black people, they're going to just let me slack because (*right fist up*), we're brothers, like old LeRoy sent all the white dudes to go out and do all the work but he and I are just going to chill in the office and watch B.E.T.
laugh.gif

HBCU's are not career killers. This makes a sweeping generalization and provides little to no context at all. On top of that, the grammar is atrocious andundermines any possibility that someone may have actually taken you seriously. A person's career is, more often than not, determined by his or her drive inconjunction with the opportunities presented. Some people may be more fueled by attending an institution founded on values that match their own. Even asidefrom that, there may be particular internship or research opportunities available at a particular school that happens to historically Black.

I, on the other hand, did not go to one and I loved undergrad and had an endless amount of opportunities. However, it wasn't until I came to law schoolwhere I saw people who looked like me enjoying similar success and working toward larger goals.

Some people may not want to wait that long.... It's all relative.

^ Black people growing up around only black people is by far the minority. Even if you wanted to, it'd be damn near impossible to avoid "diversity," which for the sake of this topic seems to mean being around people not of your skin color. The culture shock is what exactly? Probably something stereotypical like oh no, nobody bought Kool Aid to Organization Day pot luck. They talk different? Again, you're at least 22 years old now and a college grad, I'm sure they have learned how to speak, unless of course going to an all black school their black teachers let them skate by.

I've had black and white supervisors, some were nice, some weren't. The worse of all of them, however, happened to be a black dude and this Mexican-black lady named Roberta at another job. It's a stupid thought to even contemplate though. It had nothing to do with them being black, they were just !@*%@!#% because they are !@*%@!#%, and furthermore as a supervisor (and the other was a Colonel) it's somewhat your job to be anyways. I highly doubt that if I apply to a job where I'm working with more black people, they're going to just let me slack because (*right fist up*), we're brothers, like old LeRoy sent all the white dudes to go out and do all the work but he and I are just going to chill in the office and watch B.E.T.
In regards to the first paragraph, again, some, not all, of the students I've met go from an HBCU to the 'real world' with a skewed version of what real-life will be. In my own personal experiences, I've noticed intangibles working with Black vs. Whites and its not as though I'm uncultured or have been surrounded by Blacks throughout my life, its just how I experienced things on the job. So I can def. understand someone thats grown up around mostly Blacks and then going to an all Black (majority) school and then going to the White-dominated corporate America and then just having to make a subtle transition...

To me, it was almost a culture shock going from living in the predominately White suburbs outside of DC with only having a small clique of us Black students and then going to HU where Blacks dominated the population. I used to be the only Black kid, or maybe 3 or 4 others in the AP and honors classes and it sucked. Then going to an HBCU where the smartest, dumbest and everybody in-between was Black? It was something new. So I can only imagine there would be a similar experience, except magnified, if the roles were reversed. Especially when this role reversal is taking place in the workplace as opposed to the comparatively relaxed setting of college...

Sounds like you have/had a problem being around your own people and expect that everyone else will too.

Originally Posted by Mdotte

it's sad that majority of black people always feel inferior and insecure around white people.

These schools y'all claim are "diverse" are not diverse at all...they are predominately white.

NYU

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black

Ebonics=
but on a serious note,im attending norfolk state in the spring(although im second guessing heavily after reading this thread)but i dont think your future depends on your diploma,and if indeed it should,i wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.I am in no way afraid of caucasian people and that wasn't my reasoning for applying to an hbcu.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Lmao, hahaha...

In regards to Norfolk, take a visit, if you haven't already. Talk to some of the students, don't rely on the tour-guide to give an objective opinion.Hell, add people on facebook from the school and talk to them. Thats the best way to learn about a school, HBCU or not. You know who you are and what skillsyou need to 'work' on to be the best prospective prospect to an employer you can be so go to the school that you feel comfortable helping you make thatjourney, be it HBCU or not. These are just opinions in here and everyone has one so don't be dissuaded against anything until you done your own checking.Good luck...

Originally Posted by Mdotte

NYU

Ebonics=
but on a serious note,im attending norfolk state in the spring(although im second guessing heavily after reading this thread)but i dont think your future depends on your diploma,and if indeed it should,i wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.I am in no way afraid of caucasian people and that wasn't my reasoning for applying to an hbcu.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Lmao, hahaha...

In regards to Norfolk, take a visit, if you haven't already. Talk to some of the students, don't rely on the tour-guide to give an objective opinion. Hell, add people on facebook from the school and talk to them. Thats the best way to learn about a school, HBCU or not. You know who you are and what skills you need to 'work' on to be the best prospective prospect to an employer you can be so go to the school that you feel comfortable helping you make that journey, be it HBCU or not. These are just opinions in here and everyone has one so don't be dissuaded against anything until you done your own checking. Good luck...

goods looks on the advice and the luck,i appreciate it...all my facebook friends are from norfolk state and none from my CC.They all tell me is a good schooland just get's bashed by the public and from people that know people there,or people who came for the weekend and a situation went down.

In regards to the first paragraph, again, some, not all, of the students I've met go from an HBCU to the 'real world' with a skewed version of what real-life will be. In my own personal experiences, I've noticed intangibles working with Black vs. Whites and its not as though I'm uncultured or have been surrounded by Blacks throughout my life, its just how I experienced things on the job. So I can def. understand someone thats grown up around mostly Blacks and then going to an all Black (majority) school and then going to the White-dominated corporate America and then just having to make a subtle transition...

To me, it was almost a culture shock going from living in the predominately White suburbs outside of DC with only having a small clique of us Black students and then going to HU where Blacks dominated the population. I used to be the only Black kid, or maybe 3 or 4 others in the AP and honors classes and it sucked. Then going to an HBCU where the smartest, dumbest and everybody in-between was Black? It was something new. So I can only imagine there would be a similar experience, except magnified, if the roles were reversed. Especially when this role reversal is taking place in the workplace as opposed to the comparatively relaxed setting of college...

Sounds like you have/had a problem being around your own people and expect that everyone else will too.

Nope, not at all. As stated in the post you quoted, I went from being one of the only Black kids in my classes to suddenly being in the majority. It was awelcome change, but one that took me by surprise at first. Growing up and going to a predominantely White school and being one of the only Black kids isn'tsomething I'd find any minority to enjoy, so HU was a welcome surprise in that regard. Again, I enjoyed some aspects of HU, the social part being first andforemost. Thats not why I transfered, so check your accusations at the door. Most of my closes friends are actually the one's I met at HU, including thegirl I've been with since then...

Sounds like you have a predisposed notion of how 'pigs' are suppose to think and act. Open your mind and stop stereotyping. Like I said before, you canmake as many generalizations and stereotypes about police officers or any other group you want, but just know that you are truly doing a disservice andsmearing the name of the man in your avatar and what he stood for. As Huey said about Papa Doc:

"He's against anything other than black, which on the surface seems very good, but for him it is only tomislead the people. He merely kicked out the racists and replaced them with himself as the oppressor. Many of the nationalists in this country seem to desirethe same ends."

To me, that seems to apply to you. You've got the whole pro-Black, me-against-the-world type approach, and thats cool but at the sametime, you seem to trip over yourself and lose focus of the real goal, which is a total equality and humanity between all people. This is where I find myselftorn between a King approach and then a the angry, radical black man approach. I think all people can live together in harmony BUT, I think that will requirepeople to lay down their stereotypes and prejudices, first and foremost. Before Malcolm was assasinated, he had this realization. He realized you can'tsimply reduce yourself to the same practices as your oppressor, in this case foolishly assuming how others think or act based on ignorant predisposednotions...

We as Black people can't look at our treatment by others and then get mad and treat everyone else the same way. You can't be mad at the world forstereotyping and judging us and then going out and doing the same to other groups, as you do with the police. When you do that, you aren't part of thesolution, you add to the problem. Unless, of course, you have a Garvey-esque approach of racial-separation, which is cool too, if thats your angle. But justdon't try to present yourself as something your not...

Originally Posted by toast1985

I nominate this the dumbest thread in NT history.

...I, an HBCU graduate, beat out over 10 candidates from FSU, & University of Florida to launch my career

...You should improve the image of the school, not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom