why do black people ruin their career by attending a HBCU?

Originally Posted by Ebonics

if you are an employer in a business atmosphere..and theres two black guys applying for the same position with the same credientials and everything..are you going to hire the guy who came from howard or the other guy who came from a diversified school?...heres the perk/catch..you are a WHITE employer

You threw one of the most prestigious HBCUs out there. To be real racism does happen and i don't doubt that there are some employers that would pick thediversified school over Howard. To counter the white employer argument, just because I'm black doesn't mean I'm going to pick the guy that went toan HBCU. There are many other factors that go into getting a job. If the two candidates have all the same credentials, there is this little thing called aninterview that most of the times separates you.

Originally Posted by tony AYOOO

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Lock up this crap, and by that I mean Mayor.
laugh.gif

roll.gif

SMFH, Fortune 500 companies have divisions just to go out and recruit graduates of HBCU. My grandpa worked for HP, for 36 years leading one of these divisionstraveling the world to recruit students from HBCU. In some instances You'd have a better chance getting a job at companies like IBM, Cisco, HP, Apple,Microsoft, etc if you went to a HBCU.

I saw this . I went to HL Richards in Oak Lawn , (the school D. Wade went and graduated from) , and that was High School . I think kids need to be in a diverseenvironment . It is very mandatory . I'm not saying that you won't succeed if you don't go to a diverse college though . You surely can ... but ehh. I didn't even WANT to go to a all black college ... I mean they're cool ... but are you learning about other cultures ? I went to Loyola for a reason...

ehh... i see what OP is saying. but you shouldn't have said Howard.

i'm a HS student in MD, and i see a lot of my classmates go to garbage schools like Bowie State or MD Eastern Shore. sorry to people that go there, buti've been to those schools and its basically like the PG County school system. if somebody has wide choice of where they can go, i don't know they youwould want to go to a school like that if they were serious about succeeding in life. or maybe they got some bad advice. i dunno.

but not every HBCU is in that category, you should have just specified the poor ones. Howard and Morehouse for example are two great schools, tons ofintelligent black people graduate from those schools and become successful

i'm black BTW

if you are an employer in a business atmosphere..and theres two black guys applying for the same position with the same credientials and everything..are you going to hire the guy who came from howard or the other guy who came from a diversified school?...heres the perk/catch..you are a WHITE employer

probably whichever one does best on the interview and comes off as better prepared to do the tasks the job requires

but yeah honestly most of what you saying makes ZERO sense the way you are saying it. If what you mean is are some people ruining their careers attendingHBCU's for all the wrong reasons, then the answer is yes, but the same can be said about EVERYTHING done for the wrong reasons. If a person is white andgoes to a school just to be in a fraternity and never leaves the frat house and squanders away the educational opportunity he is supposed to be there torecieve he will have RUINED his career as well.

again is say RUINING your carreer has more an infinite amount more to do with the negative actions you choose rather then where you choose to recieve a collegeeducation

Howard is a pretty well known school so it if the other guy came from a random little school or like Radford or East Carolina (party schools
laugh.gif
) then the Howard grad would probably get it provided all other thingswere equal. This isn't really a good example. Now if the other candidate went to like Duke or some other top school then it changes the dynamic. Schoolname does make a difference but you listed Howard which is a top tier HBCU.

Anyhow I know people who have graduated from HBCUs like Hampton, Norfolk State (ghetto as it is), North Carolina A&T and none of them seem to be having anyproblems getting into the corporate world.

hey man. i think you bring up a good point that i never really thought about. i have nothing at all against HBCUs and i can't say that i agree with you,but good thinking. people go to different schools for different reasons. location, good parties, cost, or whatever. as long as people go to betterthemselves, i have nothing against it.
e.i can honestly sit here and say that anybody hiring students are going to chekc their college and see a non diversified school like a HBCU and not hire them based on that. because most likley the employer is going to think you cant deal with a diverse envionment and won't be used to other forms ofpeople

you CAN'T honestly sit there and say that because you're not that hiring person and you never know how people think or what factors they may beconsidering.

also, what's with people pointing out spelling errors all the damn time and basing their reply solely on that? there's more to intelligence than howwell someone can spell. if you aren't smart enough to be able to see past small spelling errors in order give a reply of value then you have no room.

You all assume that going to a diverse school is going to make you more acceptable to diff. cultures. At SBU the dudes i hung out with were diverse, but forthe most part, as said before, you stay within your comfort zone. Asians with asians, middle easterners with middle easterners, guidos with guidos etc. You cango your entire SBU career without saying more than hi or bye to anyone outside of your group. As a matter of fact most of the middle east cats haveunofficially their own side of the campus. You'll see once you get there. It boils down to the individual, not the environment.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

it's sad that majority of black people always feel inferior and insecure around white people.

These schools y'all claim are "diverse" are not diverse at all...they are predominately white.

NYU

International: 5%
African American: 5%
Asian: 17%
Caucasian: 50%
Hispanic: 8%
Native American: 0%

Where is the diversity you speak of?

one of my friends from liberty university got a job at a law firm over a harvard grad
grin.gif
depends on the person qualities or past experience. people can't afford somecolleges or has reasons. I transferred to Liberty University from UCLA for family reasons

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

it's sad that majority of black people always feel inferior and insecure around white people.

These schools y'all claim are "diverse" are not diverse at all...they are predominately white.

NYU

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbanginand rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black

NYU

Fact. Something the OP doesn't have a good grasp of.

Yall dudes is trippen, goin to a diversified school is not that serious. Yall act like talking to different races is something that is extremely hard to do.The first person that i talked to when i started college was a white chick. As u all may know, I go to Gerorgia State (sig check), i have been around blackpeople my whole life and this was a new experience but it aint that serious. Even at a diversified school everyone hangs around your own race. I see Asiansalways around Asians, Whites always around whites, and Blacks always around blacks. Like dude said earlier, everyone is just comfortable hanging around theirown race.

Nobody is hindering themselves goin to an HBCU, granted i had the same opinion as the Op when i was in high school. I said that i would never go to an HBCUbecause i wanted a diversified experience, but sometimes as i sit at the GSU courtyard, i think that i should have went to an HBCU. I would feel way morecomfortable than i do now since everyone is segregated anyway.

But i dont think my input has anything to do with the op's intent, i just wanted to put my 2 cents in

NYU

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black
Proved yourself to be a cornball once again...carry on and soak up the attention.

NYU

well..every college execpt HBCU's will always be predominately white..if black ppl cared more about their education and less about gangbangin and rapping, we would have more blacks in these universities...and even so..50% white is better than 99% black
Son aren't you black? Why are you bashing your race like this? You DO hate yourself and the skin your in don't you?

As a black male i get mad that the kids from the HBCU's get picked for programs over me because they have better GPA's. Recruiters are now focusingtheir attention to HBCU's to recruit the "cream of the crop" black students. I think that is pretty dumb but I guess I just have to work harder.

Back
Top Bottom