Why are Black people expected to speak up for other groups? vol. #OscarsSoWhite

This is what the elites want us to do: foster dissension while they continue to run things.

We all know who controls Hollywood and why they purposely drove the issue to the ground yesterday. Chris Rock was unfortunately just another pawn.

You are justifying racism with racism bro...that's all I'm seeing.

"Can't blame black folks for throwing shade at other people of color"

Really tho?..

Yes or no.

Where you referring to black people with the "hurting for acknowledgement" comment

Respect me enough to give me a direct answer, then I'll dialogue.

I'm not gonna chase goalpost around before you answer my simple question.

Where you referring to black people in your original comment?

This is exclusively a battle for the black community, since you guys made it clear you ain't fighting for any other minorities but yourselves, so yes, the answer is yes....if you wanna hang on to my choice of words when I say "hurting for acknowledgement" tell me what it is then, it's a shame because the Smiths wouldn't have given 2 **** had Will been given a nod and this whole thing wouldn't even be a "movement"

You are justifying racism with racism bro...that's all I'm seeing.

"Can't blame black folks for throwing shade at other people of color"

Really tho?..

Black people can't be racist. Their "racism" doesn't manifest itself institutionally. If you ever took a second to just step back and really consider the other sides of these arguments, you'd realize this.

Sure, black people can say ignorant, hurtful things. They can't stop others from a livelihood however.

Arguing with you is like trying to feed a hunk of iron through a wood-chipper. It's ******* asinine.

Some people are going to be willfully ignorant and you know what? I'm at a point where I'm done trying to make them see the error in their ways.

So yeah, I'll go ahead and take my leave out this thread now.

Last edited:
I wish blacks and latinos stopped fighting each other. Whites don't even have to put us down anymore (even though they still do) since we bring each other down. We oughta help each other out and rise to our full potential.

This is exclusively a battle for the black community, since you guys made it clear you ain't fighting for any other minorities but yourselves, so yes, the answer is yes....if you wanna hang on to my choice of words when I say "hurting for acknowledgement" tell me what it is then, it's a shame because the Smiths wouldn't have given 2 **** had Will been given a nod and this whole thing wouldn't even be a "movement"

No it isn't :rolleyes

Last edited:
Black people cant be racist? Ill never understand this..everyone can be racist, no matter what you are.

Last edited:
Black people cant be racist? :\

They can be racist in the sense of calling other people slurs, but not in terms of systematic racism. See how many CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are minorities. Or really, any institution. White men are typically the ones in charge.

Last edited:
They can be racist in the sense of calling other people slurs, but not in terms of systematic racism. See how many CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are minorities. Or really, any institution. White men are typically the ones in charge.

Yeah I completely understand that....that's a fact.

But if a black dude screams out some racial slur at my grandma, he's a racist....I don't care if he run a Fortune 500 or not...he's a damn racist.

Last edited:

But if a black dude screams out some racial slur at my grandma, he's a racist....I don't care if he run a Fortune 500 or not...he's a damn racist.

Well yes, he definitely is, and that shouldn't be tolerated for anyone, but we're just arguing semantics here. All minorities need to stand for racial solidarity against the oppressors. I'm not mad at Chris Rock for not mentioning Asian Americans during the night as an Asian American myself. We're going through similar experiences...we may not reconcile that but it's true. It's just a selfish attitude to say "**** you, I'll worry about me" cause that is just as damaging as white folks not realizing their privilege.

Last edited:
Black people cant be racist? :\

No.

A black person can be ignorant. A black person can be prejudiced. A black person can say hurtful, ugly things to others but they do not have the power on an INSTITUTIONAL level to wield their hate in a manner that systemically oppresses others.

No black people can't be racist. Just like there is no such thing as "black privilege". An individual black person may have come from a privileged background but in a vacuum he or she is unlikely to glean certain innate privileges white people in this nation are afforded.

I mean really? Really? This is why I'm fed up with these topics. The fact that I even have to spell out these things to people at this point, after all the discussion. Not only on here, it's been an ongoing discussion in society for decades now and we still have people who are completely lost.

Then you wonder why some black people are done trusting other people of color on these issues.

Yes or no.

Where you referring to black people with the "hurting for acknowledgement" comment

Respect me enough to give me a direct answer, then I'll dialogue.

I'm not gonna chase goalpost around before you answer my simple question.

Where you referring to black people in your original comment?

Black actors were not asking for a handout. They were pointing out there are systemic issues with the selection of nominees that lead to there work not getting acknowledgement

Furthermore, that extends beyond the academy, to the movie companies themselves. Even then there minority roles, white folk get it. Making a movie dealing with a minority groups, then a white person must still be front and center.

They were not begging for attention, they were pointing out bugs in the system.

Furthermore, the anger and disappointment toward other minority groups is deep rooted in the feeling that Black do a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to social change, and other groups right it of as a "black things" until black people are successful at getting something changed. And for the sake of fairness, the rewards go to all minority groups.

Not to say that no other minorities participate in the fight, tons do (and shout out to the folk that put in work) but when blacks do disproportionately high amount of the work, and are then expect to share in the spoils equally.

Blacks insulting other minority groups in unacceptable. But when you see other members of a minority groups right your off pursuit of change off as futile, then turn around and run to get some of the rewards when change happens, then that it also an insult. It spits in black people face.

-You could have added looked at it like that, you could have been empathetic to black actors like you demand black people be of everyone else on NT, you could have been respectful.

But you weren't.

You were dismissive, and condescending. Writing off black people's demands to fix a systemic problems in the nomination process, and the movie industry as a whole as "hurting to be acknowledged..."

Bravo as usual

Last edited:

So your hangup is of the semantic variety.

Neat.

Stop splitting hairs and being petty.

IDK why I let myself get pulled back in. :lol: :smh:

And to Rusty's point. This is not simply a black issue. It's everyone's issue. It's not a matter of Will being snubbed because he wasn't snubbed. He sucked.

The issue is on an industrial level. An institutional level. Hollywood as an institution and the Oscars being part of that institution. When white actors are given roles that should be reserved for people of color, that's an issue. I don't want to see white folks pretending to be hispanic, asian or middle-eastern. Those roles should go to people who are hispanic, asian or middle-eastern.

Plenty of talented actors from around the globe. No reason that no talent hacks like Gerard Butler should be pretending to be Egyptian.

Last edited:
No.

A black person can be ignorant. A black person can be prejudiced. A black person can say hurtful, ugly things to others but they do not have the power on an INSTITUTIONAL level to wield their hate in a manner that systemically oppresses others.

No black people can't be racist. Just like there is no such thing as "black privilege". An individual black person may have come from a privileged background but in a vacuum he or she is unlikely to glean certain innate privileges white people in this nation are afforded.

I mean really? Really? This is why I'm fed up with these topics. The fact that I even have to spell out these things to people at this point, after all the discussion. Not only on here, it's been an ongoing discussion in society for decades now and we still have people who are completely lost.

Then you wonder why some black people are done trusting other people of color on these issues.

I will never agree with this, we all have the capacity of expressing racism.

Black people cant be racist?
ohwell.gif
No.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

anyone can be racist

institutionalised racism is a form of racism 

Black actors were not asking for a handout. They were pointing out there are systemic issues with the selection of nominees that lead to there work not getting acknowledgement

Furthermore, that extends beyond the academy, to the movie companies themselves. Even then there minority roles, white folk get it. Making a movie dealing with a minority groups, then a white person must still be front and center.

Furthermore, the anger and disappointment toward other minority groups is deep rooted in the feeling that Black do a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to social change, and other groups right it of as a "black things" until black people are successful at getting something changed. And for the sake of fairness, the rewards go to all minority groups.

Not to say that no other minorities participate in the fight, tons do (and shout out to the folk that put in work) but when blacks do disproportionately high amount of the work, and are then expect to share in the spoils equally.

Blacks insulting other minority groups in unacceptable. But when you see other members of a minority groups right your off pursuit of change off as futile, then turn around and run to get some of the rewards when change happens, then that it also an insult. It spits in black people face.

-You could have added looked at it like that, you could have been empathetic to black actors like you demand black people be of everyone else on NT, you could have been respectful.

But you weren't.

You were dismissive, and condescending. Writing off black people's demands to fix a systemic problems in the nomination process, and the movie industry as a whole as "hurting to be acknowledged..."

Bravo as usual

White actors have played and will play our iconic roles even though there is huge acting talent outside or inside the USA...same goes for Asians, Hollywood will always overlook any race for a known white actor, is disgusting I agree, but it was YOU that made it an exclusive black issue and practically said "***** you to the rest of you minorities that been snubbed, don't attempt to ride our wave" I wasn't dismissive, blacks were of others facing similar challenges in Hollywood....so it's ok for you guys to do it, but dare I say, "we good on this side, no need to fight for us...we don't need the academy's approval" and now I'm dismissive and condescending.....

Cool bro.

anyone can be racist

:lol: Coincidentally institutional racism is pretty much the only form of racism that ******* actually hurts entire communities.

Ya'll speaking semantics, I'm speaking systematics.

Rock rustled some jimmies with what he said about Asians right? I wonder how many Asians ended up jobless, poor, dead or in prison as a result of his words.

Alright then...

But you weren't.

Bravo as usual

White actors have played and will play our iconic roles even though there is huge acting talent outside or inside the USA...same goes for Asians, Hollywood will always overlook any race for a known white actor, is disgusting I agree, but it was YOU that made it an exclusive black issue and practically said "***** you to the rest of you minorities that been snubbed, don't attempt to ride our wave" I wasn't dismissive, blacks were of others facing similar challenges in Hollywood....so it's ok for you guys to do it, but dare I say, "we good on this side, no need to fight for us...we don't need the academy's approval" and now I'm dismissive and condescending.....

Cool bro.

This was your first comment in this thread:
:rofl:

Latinos ain't hurting to be acknowledged by the Oscars, we have our own awards in our little Channels viewed by all our abuelas more than content with it :smile:

doesn't seem like you came in here looking for productive dialogue, and to discuss the dynamics of this issue.

Last edited:
Last edited:
:lol: Coincidentally institutional racism is pretty much the only form of racism that ******* actually hurts entire communities.

Rock rustled some jimmies with what he said about Asians right? I wonder how many Asians ended up jobless, poor, dead or in prison as a result of his words.

Alright then...

Oh wow....look who's being dismissive now...lmao

If I punch you in the face, I'm not an *******, as long as I didn't extrrminate your whole living family tree...

Bet.

Alright then...

You lost me there man.

anyone can be racist

laugh.gif
Coincidentally institutional racism is pretty much the only form of racism that ******* actually hurts entire communities.

Alright then...
sure, that all may be true but get out of here with that "black people cant be racist" stuff.

no need to diminish one form of racism just to prop up another, to varying degrees its all bad. 

its ironic because a lot of the people complaining about other minorities wanting their issues brought to light are the same people doing the whole "who cares about this issue, that's nothing compared to what blacks have to deal with". It's the exact same you cant shine if im not shining logic 
laugh.gif

It's our fault. You can't go screaming your head off about POC solidarity and then not want to act in solidarity.

I personally don't agree with POC solidarity either. Every community acts in its own self interest except for Black Americans.

Oh cool, one of these tweets is talking about Asians owning nail salons. So it's acceptable to use racist jokes to deflect racism right? :rolleyes

:rofl:

Latinos ain't hurting to be acknowledged by the Oscars, we have our own awards in our little Channels viewed by all our abuelas more than content with it :smile:

It is like you can't resist saying something condescending about black people :rolleyes :smh:

It's either dude is a legit piece of crap or just completely inarticulate and he doesn't realize it.

Back
Top Bottom