The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Pretty much, I agree. They'd be a better team if they played with last year's style.

Just about. Asking a big physical dominating team like Bayern to play cute Tiki taka ball is just as counter intuitive as asking Barcelona to play a long ball, cross heavy physical style of play. Tiki taka hinders Bayern's ability to downright smother opponents with force like they did last year.

Hate to say it, but let's put emphasis more on the supreme play Real Madrid then Pep's tiki taka. First & foremost, gotta give credit to Ramos & Pepe. Both put themselves in every area that nullified anything Bayern tried to do. Madrid played comprehensively well across the board. This is the Madrid team i feared at the start of the campaign. Also gotta give credit to BBC. Unreal performance. I still chuckle at people saying Bale wasn't isn at the start of the campaign. Coming to Real & La Liga was the best thing that could've happened to him.

Conversely, Bayern did look pitiful. Mandzukic got manhandled by Pepe & Ramos, I mean manhandled. The Madrid duo basically took him into the alley to rob him blind & beat him senseless.

Pep's tiki taka is fine, he just needs to evolve it to address teams attacking with quick counters. He can get away with not addressing it domestically, but in the CL teams you're going to face are much more talented & balanced. I am surprised that he hasn't accounted for that. I have every confidence that the Bayern squad will come back stronger.

There's a reason why teams haven't won back to back CL titles. It' so hard to do & winning also requires a certain amount of luck too.

Yo @AJIIIpLATINum, I don't typically like white jackets or suits, but that looked classy. Repped...

Last edited:
:lol: @ the Pep apologists. He only took over the clear cut best team in the world and turned them into an embarrassment in less than a year. With a squad that's actually superior to last years.

Bayern is "one" of the best teams in the world. One of them. Talent wise, Real Madrid are right up there with Bayern. I'm not surprised Madrid rolled over Bayern at all. This is how they should've been playing from jump.

I don't need to be a Pep apologist at all, his record & accomplishments as a player & manager speak for themselves. Even the best get beat & sometimes get beat bad.

Hate to say it, but let's put emphasis more on the supreme play Real Madrid then Pep's tiki taka.

Pep's tiki taka is fine, he just needs to evolve it to address teams attacking with quick counters.

Ehhh Can't agree with you there. Pep's Tiki taka is fine, but it's fine with Bayern the same way it would be fine with a Brazilian B league squad. It works and you dominate possession, but you can't coach height/ strength advantage, which Bayern definitely has. IMO, it is a problem when you have Mandžukić trying to dance around Coentrao the same way Wallyson would.

RM played a great pair of games, but they've also walked away with way more bruises against way smaller teams

Pep's mistake was lacking a plan B. He played right into Carlo's hands in both matches. Carlo's teams over the years have always played to retain the ball rather than counter but he knew Pep would play for possession. Carlo had his side sit back, stay compact which prevented gaps, & just waited for Bayern like a lion waiting to attack a gazelle.

Madrid played pretty much perfectly defensively & offensively in this round of the CL. I don't think any Madrid player that hit the pitch against Bayern had an off game. Shoot, I can't remember the last time Pep & Ramos played perfectly at the same time for consecutive games.

Psk you're a Pep apologist man. It's cool that you are.

But Bayern have no business playing tika-taka or possession oriented ball, you know that. You saw how they played last year, that was the style they were best at. Peps gotta come back with some new fresh ideas for next year, shouldn't be difficult. He can do it with such a talented roster. Can't only have one weapon in your arsenal. He's still learning, managers are always learning.

I remember last year they were talking about a new era of dominance with German football. About that....:lol:

Didnt see anything that resembled Bayerns dominance from last year. That performance they had against Barcelona last yr in the 2nd leg was masterful. Disappointed to not see a competitive match today.

Glad for Real though. Rooting for Chelsea tomorrow.

Last edited:
It would have been if Pep didn't come **** **** up.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bayern were ******* Galactus last year. Beating the former best team in the world 7-0 on aggreggate with wayyyyy less possession.
They played direct no nonsense football and now Pep turned them into the very thing they picked apart

ESPN's obsession with Sterling ****** up my DVR recording of 30 for 30. Wanted to watch that tonight. :\

Madrid is not consistent. One week they're good. The next they're averageMadrid almost didn't make it to this stage of the competition. Dortmund nearly knocked them out in the quarterfinals.Bayern where just stunned with the 2 early goals. They just gave up. I still think they are overrated. Dortmund and all the other German treams just make them look good.Think about it. In the quarterfinals. Manchester united scored first in both legs and united has had a terrible season. A good team would have capitalized and knocked them out in the quarters already. So in essence, Madrid exposed Bayern for the overrated team that they are

Don't think Bayern is overrated, they weren't playing to their strengths. Last year they beat Barca through strength and efficiency, they have lost that strength for a massive increase in possession. Pep just needs to include the power bayern have with the tiki taka style.

Believe this defeat was needed for Bayern, especially after how proud they were, specific lahm and robben, about their "domination" of the first leg.

Last edited:
Robben has to be one of the most predictable players. He does the same shhitt every game. Cuts in from the right towards the box and shoots with his left leg towards the upper left of the goal. Once a defender stops him from doing that, he's pretty much useless in a game

Robben has to be one of the most predictable players. He does the same shhitt every game. Cuts in from the right towards the box and shoots with his left leg towards the upper left of the goal. Once a defender stops him from doing that, he's pretty much useless in a game

When he plays well, Bayern are at there best. I always thought he was more important than Ribery. Coentrao just locked him up and the help defense was on point.

I think Atletico goes thru tomorrow btw. Sorry Chelsea fans. (But Chelsea always seem to pull thru in big games at home). So i'd say Atletico 60/40, money on Simeon tho.

Last edited:
I'd rather Real plays Chelsea. Atletico seems to have the psychological edge over Real at the moment.

And Mou vs Ronnie in Lisbon would be 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom