The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Wow, Neymar with the FK! Getting revenge for the physical play... I know he acts some of the time but dudes be hacking the crap out of Neymar...

Last edited:
Brazil's young stars are shining, Oscar making it 2-nil. Nice assist from Paulinho...

Last edited:
Incredible goal by Mexico yesterday. Rafa :pimp:

Caught a bit of Germany yesterday. Strange seeing Ozil playing as a false 9 as he didn't look comfortable, but they need to find a way to fit Kroos in- he's just too damn good. Should they play a false 9 I'd go with Reus in the role as he did it at Gladbach. It'll be very interesting to see how Low sets his side for the tournament. They're going to end up leaving one or more legit world class players on the bench like Gundogan, Kroos, or Gotze - which is crazy to think about.

Alexis has always brought it for Chile, but his form is finally becoming consistent. :pimp:

-According to today's MARCA, Bale has a hernia, but RM denies it calling it a bulged rather than slipped disc. Apparently it was detected during the medical, but Perez gave no damns - which is interesting because the word was Kaka failed his medical at the time, but Perez signed off anyway.

Around this time last year, they had Kroos playing in the false 9 role. Gomez was injured. I don't recall how the game went but I just know that Podolski didn't score. But I agree Reus seems to be the better option. I wouldn't want to be in Low's position when it comes to picking players, given that all players are fit.

The Chile v Colombia match was a great. I really didn't think they were gonna come back, maybe pull one back or even two.
Good to see Alexis doing well again.

Red Bull looking to buy English football club and take them into the Champions League
12 Oct 2013 23:00
Energy drinks firm are looking to add an English club to their sporting portfolio and takes them into the Champions League

Whole new Bull game: Red Bull have given Thierry Henry's New York side wings - will the Premier League be their next stop?
Whole new Bull game: Red Bull have given Thierry Henry's New York side wings - will the Premier League be their next stop?
Jeff Zelevansky
Billionaires Red Bull want to buy a football club in England – and ‘give it wings’ to make it big, writes Alan Nixon in the People.

The Austrian-based energy drinks firm are on the look-out for a suitable club, with Anglophile coach Ralf Rangnick, sporting director of Red Bull Salzburg, heading the search.

As well as current Austrian league leaders Salzburg, Red Bull already owns clubs in Germany, New York, Brazil and Ghana.

The company’s sporting assets also include two Formula One teams: Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Now coach Rangnick, who almost got the Everton job in the summer, has been tasked to find a club in England for their latest move into ownership.

An insider in the deal said: “Red Bull want a team to take into the Champions League. It is the only market they have not reached yet. Ideally this would be in the London area, but both Everton and Liverpool interest them too because it would not take much to get them to that level.

“They have looked at the Championship, but you can spend fortunes there and not make any progress.”

Rangnick, an English-educated German, has a good knowledge of the game and is looking at several options. He would also oversee the ­purchase and running of the club.

News of Red Bull’s interest is spreading rapidly and there should be no lack of willing sellers.

The company’s Formula One success, with Sebastian Vettel taking them towards a fourth straight title, has put them on the map, but buying a club in the ‘home’ of football could be their biggest coup yet.

And taking it into the Champions League is the ultimate aim for one of the biggest sports-backing firms in the business.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/red-bull-looking-buy-english-2366075#ixzz2hZXBthyZ

The thread on Reddit, a poster said that they have been in talks with Leeds for a while now

^ Crystal Palace would be a SICK club to build up based on the name alone :pimp:

Also helps they're in the london area

Report: Mexico would team up with the USA to host 2026 World Cup tournament | SIDELINE
OCTOBER 9, 2013
MLSsoccer staff
MLSsoccer.com

USA TODAY Sports
Mexico is interested in joining forces with the USA to co-host a bid for the 2026 World Cup.

Liga MX president Decio de María, a former high-ranking executive of the Mexican soccer federation, made the statement at Wednesday's Leaders in Football Conference in London during a discussion about the future of the World Cup and the FIFA bidding process.

“Do it with some Mexican cities there,” de María reportedly told U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati when the topic of a US bid for the 2026 World Cup came up.

Gulati was outspoken in his desire for changes to be made to the FIFA selection process of World Cup hosts after the US 2022 bid lost out to Qatar. Now a member of the FIFA Executive Committee, Gulati reiterated that the USSF would not bid for another World Cup until the process was clarified, especially with regards to a rotation policy for different regions of the world.

"Would we be interested in bidding for 2026? The procedures would need to be very different to what they are now," Gulati said, according to a Press Association report. "If the critical issue is taking it to new lands, then tell us in advance because we won't bother ... For instance, is there going to be a system of rotation, or not? This needs to be established well enough in advance so people know."

Joint Mexico USA WC would be lame as ****

There are only 2 countries between North and Central America worthy of hosting a WC. They'll each get their turns in due time. The USA is also massive and has plenty of cities.

The flavors and cultures of the countries are way too different too. Joint USA-MX marketing would be wack. Unlike South Africa for example or Brazil's which is unique to their cultures and vibe.

To me it's dope to have the all the teams from around the world in one country and be the center of the world for a month. Not spread out through 2 large and extremely different countries.

I don't like it at all.

I don't get why these billionaire dudes want to buy English teams. Do something different. Go to Italy or Spain any buy a club to become a superpower. God knows the weather and nightlife is better. I'd be nice to see Barca and. Real have a real competitor every year.

I thought that was supposed to happen with Malaga, never did tho. That city is beautiful.

Wish there was an English article on this situation. I've come across some in the past on how the youth CL would disrupt the NextGen series but nothing like this.

I don't get why these billionaire dudes want to buy English teams. Do something different. Go to Italy or Spain any buy a club to become a superpower. God knows the weather and nightlife is better. I'd be nice to see Barca and. Real have a real competitor every year.

I thought that was supposed to happen with Malaga, never did tho. That city is beautiful.

The revenue in EPL is very high. The solid structures are already in place. The time zone allows for great viewing windows around the world. The tv rights are already adaquetly distributed, which is something La Liga can't say. Investing in the prem makes a lot of sense.

Haven't watched everton this year, but has Deulofeu been any good? Haven't heard about him since the loan was confirmed. Hype has seemed to die down for some reason.

Haven't watched everton this year, but has Deulofeu been any good? Haven't heard about him since the loan was confirmed. Hype has seemed to die down for some reason.

I think he scored in the league cup game. I don't think he has started a EPL match yet or come on before the 60 minute mark. I remember hearing that he didn't have the best attitude, too much on the cocky side. Not sure how true that is but I would love to see more of him.

Barca fans, what do you think Tello's future will be like between now and the summer. Any chance of moving?

[/quote]
Around this time last year, they had Kroos playing in the false 9 role. Gomez was injured. I don't recall how the game went but I just know that Podolski didn't score. But I agree Reus seems to be the better option. I wouldn't want to be in Low's position when it comes to picking players, given that all players are fit.

Yeah, Kroos doesn't have the qualities of a forward, and needs to be played in a position of central influence. Shame BL games aren't really broadcast in the States because most don't seem to know just how good he is. Very few players who can run a game while simultaneously providing incisive creativity from the hole, in a midfield 3, or even a midfield 2.
Agreed about Low's position. Harsh as it sounds, I think Germany needs to at least make the final or he'll be let go. Regardless of how he sets up, he'll be second guessed if/when they lose.

Haven't watched everton this year, but has Deulofeu been any good? Haven't heard about him since the loan was confirmed. Hype has seemed to die down for some reason

He's only gotten sub minutes in the league- usually at the tail end of matches. In his Cup starts he's looked bright from what I've seen and heard. I'd have preferred him to be loaned to a more tactical league as he needs to work on decision making and becoming more disciplined, but in England I think he'll only improve the things he already is great at like beating defenders. Plenty of time to live up to his potential, though.

He hasnt started a game yet. He has only been a sub in late moments in the game. He did score in champions cup though.

Last edited:
I think he scored in the league cup game. I don't think he has started a EPL match yet or come on before the 60 minute mark. I remember hearing that he didn't have the best attitude, too much on the cocky side. Not sure how true that is but I would love to see more of him.

Barca fans, what do you think Tello's future will be like between now and the summer. Any chance of moving?

When you're touted as a prodigy since childhood, it's hard not to be a bit cocky, but it doesn't seem to be anything over the top. Anyway, many top athletes have that strong confidence bordering on cockiness.

Tello's buyout was raised over the summer, but there's always a chance he could move as he'd undoubtedly find more playing time and higher wages elsewhere. At the moment, he seems content enough as a squad player as he does get some time and spot starts, but he's basically competing with Pedro for the backup wide positions so a big offer could tempt him away. Guess it'll depends on how much pt he does get through the end of the season, and so any injuries in attack would play a part in that.

abovelegit1 is correct, Deulofeu hasn't played a lot for Everton yet but Martinez has been very complimentary of him in posts I've seen. There were a lot of stories about Deulofeu having an insanely huge ego . It was often said he constantly admonishing teammates for not getting him the ball.

With regards to Tello, Liverpool & Tottenham were mentioned as possible destinations this summer because of his transfer €10 million buyout clause however he just signed a contract extension through the 2017-2018. His buy out is now €25. He's been quoted as saying he's happy at Camp Nou.

There are rumors that Tata wants to bolster his roster of forwards/strikers by adding Juve's Llorente. I don't believe this one because Tata has done a great job of playing the younger guys so far in this campaign & changing the roster whenever he feels the need to. Id almost say he's done a masterful job.

Interesting to see how Tata has brought Neymar along compared to how Ancelotti has brought Bale along. Neymar's debut to La Liga has been very successful despite even with some health issues early on compared to the way Bale was rushed back.

In other Barca news, Tata has said to be interested in River Plate's CB Eder Alvarez Balanta. There is also rumors that an agreement might be close to or already be in place for GK Marc ter Stegen (Borussia Moenchengladbach) to come to Camp Nou.

:lol:

View media item 614188
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/247075.html

Juventus fire Januzaj warning to United
ESPN staff
October 12, 2013

Juventus have told Manchester United that Adnan Januzaj could go the same way as Paul Pogba.

Pogba, who never started a game for United, left Old Trafford for Turin when his contract expired in the summer of 2012 and has gone on to help Juventus win the Scudetto.

And United are yet to agree a new deal with Januzaj, who will be out of contract next summer, while Juve are among the admirers of the 18-year-old, who scored twice on his full debut for the Premier League champions to earn them a 2-1 victory at Sunderland last week.

Juve general manager Beppe Marotta told United they risk losing Januzaj, who has also been linked with Manchester City, and believes the whole situation could easily have been avoided.

"If they fear another case like Pogba's then they are right," Marotta told Tuttosport. "It's difficult to understand how we can reach a stage eight months prior to the contract expiring without seeing a renewal. Januzaj is a player showing big promise. He is a player of great quality."

While United did receive compensation when Pogba left Old Trafford, because he was under 24, it was less than the amount he would likely have commanded had he been under contract.

Patrice Evra expressed his disappointment that Pogba had left United this week.

Last edited:
I'm all for a player being a bit cocky, I think it comes with the territory. But it's another thing to have an insanely huge ego.

Had no clue Tello signed a new contract. Something happening before summer seems like a reach.

@FFArsenal Liverpool are ready to sell Luis Suarez in January transfer window and Arsenal will almost certainly lodge a bid worth £50m (Mirror)
@Football__Zone Uruguay and Paris St-Germain striker Edinson Cavani says Luis Suarez is waiting for a move to Real Madrid. (Daily Mail)
Barcelona looking into signing two Colombians. http://bit.ly/1bnrx2K
@FFArsenal Arsene Wenger is determined to sign a new striker in January and Fernando Llorente is a target to take on loan (Mirror)
- There's also rumors that we're after Llorente on a loan deal as well. But I remember Wenger saying that he didn't want to go after him because he was too similar for Giroud. But he did say that about Ba and we tried to get him on loan. I think that may have been more on the panic side.
- I'm glad that Bendter scored those two goals for Denmark, especially against a quality side. It will certainly help him seeing that he hasn't played for some time now.

The revenue in EPL is very high. The solid structures are already in place. The time zone allows for great viewing windows around the world. The tv rights are already adaquetly distributed, which is something La Liga can't say. Investing in the prem makes a lot of sense.

Yea, La Liga needs to distribute the TV's revenues fairly. That's something I don't agree with. It's becoming a monopoly. Investing wise it does make better sense, but some of these billionaires don't care about making money, they're not in it for that. Just surprising some of these wacky billionaires haven't taking that step yet.

Benzema is a good player, but he doesn't seem like a right fit for Liverpool. So I don't think that would ever happen.

If Hernandez wants out of United, why doesn't he look into joining an Italian or Spanish team? Read the title on reddit that SPUDS were interested or something like that, but United isn't going to sell to another premier league team. For som reason, I can see chicharito in an italian team. Mostly because italian players seem to be very fast and agile compared to english teams.

Back
Top Bottom