The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

All handheld? I almost never shoot around f/22 unless I have a tripod. Any tips on holding the camera steady for those smaller apertures?

Yes sir all handheld, I don't own a tripod. I believe the lowest shutter speed I used was 1/25th and sometimes I bumped my ISO to 1600. The Sony A7 is really light and small so I think that gives me a slight advantage as well. And I do hold my breath while I compose and shoot.

A few more

Does anyone use a DSLR and one of those nicer P&S?

Do you find yourself using the latter more often just because of it's size/portability?

I was considering picking one up .. but most of them seem to be at a pretty high price point and for that money I can pick up some new glass ..

I'm currently using a canon 7D and a Sony rx100m2. I use the Sony rx100m2 for those occasions where a DSLR isn't allowed to be brought in, such as most concerts. Otherwise, if a DSLR is allowed, my 7D comes with me.

I really wish I knew about the release of that new canon 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 a couple months ago. I would have held back on buying the canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. I would have saved a couple hundred bucks. Although I am pretty happy with the lens so far.

Do you find yourself using one more than the other?

Nawzlew Nawzlew What's your current kit looking like? You on FF?

Nah, I've been shooting with a T2i. Got it when it came out. Currently using a nifty fifty, Tamron 17-50, and Tokina 12-24. I'm probably going to pick up a Sigma 30mm soon.

I've considered upgrading to a 5D MKII, but I can't be spending a rack on a body right now.

Considered "upgrading" to a T3i or T4i.

Nah, I've been shooting with a T2i. Got it when it came out. Currently using a nifty fifty, Tamron 17-50, and Tokina 12-24. I'm probably going to pick up a Sigma 30mm soon.

I've considered upgrading to a 5D MKII, but I can't be spending a rack on a body right now.

For your question regarding using the P&S over a DSLR because of portability, I'd highly recommend going mirrorless. Have considered that at all?

I used to swear by DSLR's before I moved to mirrorless. Moving to mirrorless has definitely changed the game for me. Takes the same quality pictures in a smaller frame. A lot lighter and more portable.

I would say unless you're full frame, maybe consider mirrorless. But anyways, I know I'm always on here suggesting mirrorless, but I just wanted to throw that out there. :lol:

For your question regarding using the P&S over a DSLR because of portability, I'd highly recommend going mirrorless. Have considered that at all?

I used to swear by DSLR's before I moved to mirrorless. Moving to mirrorless has definitely changed the game for me. Takes the same quality pictures in a smaller frame. A lot lighter and more portable.

I would say unless you're full frame, maybe consider mirrorless. But anyways, I know I'm always on here suggesting mirrorless, but I just wanted to throw that out there. :lol:

I actually have. I was actually looking at cameras like the EOS M and G series. I've also looked into smaller SLRs like the SL1.

Yet I still love holding an SLR in my hands. But carrying around a body+grip+lens all day can be annoying :lol:

I think I'll pick up a 30mm first. I still love shooting with my T2i no doubt about it. Down the line, I think I'll go mirrorless, just to have a second, portable camera.

Or ****, I should just get an iPhone :lol:

Last edited:

I still feel that I get the most control when I'm using the DSLR, so I'd say I use my 7D more. Manual focusing on a 7D is still more comfortable than focusing on the RX100m2, even though the RX100m2 does have a manual focus ring you can use. Being able to change lenses on the DSLR is also a plus. I guess you can make that argument that a rangefinder or a micro 4/3s would have been a better buy for that reason.

I have that Canon M and sad to say, I have never used it for anything due to me actually getting into events now with an DSLR. The bad thing to is the battery is atrocious and dies within hours of shooting. Still though, I still don't want to let it go for whatever reason.

So I am shooting an indoor store event on Saturday. It's a pretty dark lit room so i am going to use my flashes. Any general tips for a beginner with this? I can't believe I am going to say this but is shooting on auto mode a decent thing to do? I shoot almost a 100% manual but don't want to fiddle around with my shutter to miss some shots.

I have that Canon M and sad to say, I have never used it for anything due to me actually getting into events now with an DSLR. The bad thing to is the battery is atrocious and dies within hours of shooting. Still though, I still don't want to let it go for whatever reason.

So I am shooting an indoor store event on Saturday. It's a pretty dark lit room so i am going to use my flashes. Any general tips for a beginner with this? I can't believe I am going to say this but is shooting on auto mode a decent thing to do? I shoot almost a 100% manual but don't want to fiddle around with my shutter to miss some shots.

Shoot on Aperture Priority. Set your aperture, ISO and the camera will pick the shutter speed.

I still feel that I get the most control when I'm using the DSLR, so I'd say I use my 7D more. Manual focusing on a 7D is still more comfortable than focusing on the RX100m2, even though the RX100m2 does have a manual focus ring you can use. Being able to change lenses on the DSLR is also a plus. I guess you can make that argument that a rangefinder or a micro 4/3s would have been a better buy for that reason.

I'm ashamed to say that I rarely use MF :lol:

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr I know you got the Nex 6, have you used the Nex 7 before? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I'm really aiming towards mirrorless because of how compact they are.

Shoot on Aperture Priority. Set your aperture, ISO and the camera will pick the shutter speed.

Is there a recommended ISO for flash? Since there is a flash, it can be relatively low right? I can't imagine blurriness being an issue unless someone was breakdancing. That makes sense to shoot AP though. I'll do that for that day. Thanks.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr I know you got the Nex 6, have you used the Nex 7 before? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I'm really aiming towards mirrorless because of how compact they are.

I don't have a Nex 6. Not really hip to Sony stuff. Don't hate them or like them. I just kind of stick to Nikon and Canon stuff.

Anyone else shoot film here? just getting into it. I shot with a Sony A57 normally, nice camera. My advise is dont be a gear snob. It doesn't matter how blurred ur background is if your photo is boring/basic. most of this stuff was shot with a 18-55mm kit lens

Here is some more stuff I took that I like

Back
Top Bottom