The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Really new to photography, been interested for a few months and went out and bought a nikon d3100 last week (read that it was good for beginners). Started playing around with it and taking shots, came out decent for a beginner. If anybody could offer alittle help, it would be greatly appreciated, I stay near the Atlanta area by the way.

Personally for me, I love my 50mm. At times I prefer it over an 85mm but thats me. Again depends on what you're shooting exactly. 

As for wide open when shooting, I never shoot wide open like F/1.4, F/1.6  or F/1.8. I normally shoot at F/2. I have a a 50mm F/1.4 and I always shoot it at F/2 unless I need light that extra stop or so if needed. As for weddings, I i'll post some examples about it. The only difference I really see is DOF, Bokeh of course, the circles you get from it, contrast, color, and sharpness. 

Fong, keep 50 and start saving for the 85mm. You might not need the 50mm now but your shooting style might change. Maybe the 50 is what you needed to get you out of your "slump"? You might get into video and use it for that. Or even rent the 50mm to trusted friends and generate cash for the 85mm.

Santi......what gig did you land? Shooting drifting/racing? 300mm is super long.....no homo.

Pretty much. I got hired as full-time Photographer / editor by Autoblog Canada. I'll be doing most of the event coverage, and car photoshoots here and there. Finally have a good excuse to geek out on gear, haha. First day on the job I was trying to cover a huge event with my kit lens and 50mm. Other photogs were confused as to why I had a media pass. :lol: Had to make it work, though.

Last edited:
Pretty much. I got hired as full-time Photographer / editor by Autoblog Canada. I'll be doing most of the event coverage, and car photoshoots here and there. Finally have a good excuse to geek out on gear, haha. First day on the job I was trying to cover a huge event with my kit lens and 50mm. Other photogs were confused as to why I had a media pass. :lol: Had to make it work, though.

This is me now sans the 50 :lol: but I've only been shooting for about a month period.

Quick noob question, been shooting quite a few pics and have been importing them via mac..I've been shooting raw and the files come out as .jpg instead of .nef, can anyone help me out as to why this is happening?

Congratulations man!!

Flourish!!

Quick noob question, been shooting quite a few pics and have been importing them via mac..I've been shooting raw and the files come out as .jpg instead of .nef, can anyone help me out as to why this is happening?

Every camera has a different raw file, if the program your using to open the pics isnt updated with the latest raw files your camera might not be covered. What camera/program are you using? When i first purchased my d7100 it took 2 months for lightroom to update to be able to read the raw file.

Every camera has a different raw file, if the program your using to open the pics isnt updated with the latest raw files your camera might not be covered. What camera/program are you using? When i first purchased my d7100 it took 2 months for lightroom to update to be able to read the raw file.

I'm using a d3100 / torrented Lightroom 5.3

I'm using a d3100 / torrented Lightroom 5.3

Hm, I'm using a D3200 and LR 5.3 as well and I'm pretty sure my .NEFs are being imported without any issues. After post-processing I export as .jpgs but I believe the .NEFs are retained in their original location.

Fong... Keep the 50, make sure all your bases are covered. You didn't pay for it so that's a plus. Stick to your plan to get the 85. I have both a 50 and 85mm lens and love them both. Im more concerned about that Pelican case dude has in the video. I want to get one to store my Alien Bee 800s in.

Hm, I'm using a D3200 and LR 5.3 as well and I'm pretty sure my .NEFs are being imported without any issues. After post-processing I export as .jpgs but I believe the .NEFs are retained in their original location.

You are probably shooting raw+jpeg and importing both into the computer. You can't export as raw. Make sure you figure out where you are importing your files to.

Santi......what gig did you land? Shooting drifting/racing? 300mm is super long.....no homo.

Yoo that is dope! Congrats on the job!!! Mind if I ask how you got the gig? If you would rather not share that's okay but that is very cool! I hope you post some shots on here or your flickr page.

This may or may not solve your problem but I'm guessing you're using iPhoto to export them to LR? If so when you click on "File -> Export" it asks you on the top what "kind" of file it is. If you haven't changed it to "original" (which is the raw file), then it will export the photo's as jpeg and when you import then into LR they will be jpeg. I also have a mac and this is what I do.

Last edited:
You are probably shooting raw+jpeg and importing both into the computer. You can't export as raw. Make sure you figure out where you are importing your files to.

Oh yeah sometimes I do shoot RAW+jpeg. I'm not having any issues, just saying I have a similar setup so I don't think it's a compatibility issue for eddstarrr eddstarrr . I am using Windows though so I can't speak on what goes on with Macs.

Sick Santi! I'd imagine the gig is what you love to do, so that makes it a plus in shooting. Posting for another blog can be weird though. Hope your experience is a good one.

Also depending on things, I might not need my Nifty Fifty. Any up and comer want the lens, let me know. I can sell it for a player price.

Yoo that is dope! Congrats on the job!!! Mind if I ask how you got the gig? If you would rather not share that's okay but that is very cool! I hope you post some shots on here or your flickr page.

Thanks, dude! A good friend of mine had been working there for a couple years, and contacted me when one of the editors got fired. I went through an interview process, showed them some of my work, and I guess they liked it. haha.

Sick Santi! I'd imagine the gig is what you love to do, so that makes it a plus in shooting. Posting for another blog can be weird though. Hope your experience is a good one.

Definitely, man. It's a lot of hours managing online content right now, but I work from home on days when I'm not out shooting, so it rarely feels like work. Stoked. Can't wait to get some new gear to play with. [/nerd]

Last edited:
Fong... Keep the 50, make sure all your bases are covered. You didn't pay for it so that's a plus. Stick to your plan to get the 85. I have both a 50 and 85mm lens and love them both. Im more concerned about that Pelican case dude has in the video. I want to get one to store my Alien Bee 800s in.

Yo! Do you have the battery pack for the AlienBees? I got a B800 as well, but haven't really used it. I want to take it traveling and on location without outlets. I was wondering if you had any experience with the battery pack/relative cost if you do have it.

Oddly I agree. 85 is just the focal length to have. It's not a a everyday lens but it gets you shots that you can't get with other lenses. 50mm is like the suitable lens but hard to really get tons of character out of it. With that said.........

Shot this tonight. Kind of treated as a long lens cause I wanted to test the bokeh. Obviously it could even be creamier but I wanted the background to somewhat be clear so you can tell it's Alamo Square (Full House houses). So far I can't say I hate the lens. I'll be testing it more on some tighter shots with portraits. Just need more damn subject matter.

I just got to be like this guy and get it all:

Bro, you live in SF (or at least the Bay Area)! What you mean you need more damn subject matter?! Haha jk. But really, it's up to you to take what you have and make it into something. You got a lot of potential out there.

Also, touching what Rolo said, you have a 1.2. Lenses are never their sharpest wide open. With a 1.2, it allows you to be really sharp at 1.8 and 2, rather than stopping down with a 1.4 at 2/2.8 to get sharpness equivalent to a 1.2 at 1.8/2. You get that extra 1/3rd stop.

From what I'm seeing, you already have your heart set out on the 85. If i were you, I'd find a way to trade/sell for the 85 and see how you like it. Hell, just rent it first and see if you like it more than the 50. Also like i said before the Fred Miranda forums are also a good way to buy/sell/trade gear.

Last edited:
Yo! Do you have the battery pack for the AlienBees? I got a B800 as well, but haven't really used it. I want to take it traveling and on location without outlets. I was wondering if you had any experience with the battery pack/relative cost if you do have it.

I have the Vagabond Mini. Love that I can use my AB800 on location. It gets burdensome at a point if you travel by yourself. I usually take my camera bag. Apollo Orb, AB800 on a stand, and my Vagabond Mini.The VM has a clamp to attach it to the lightstand. It gets tricky to clamp it on, I actually broke the case of the VM so now it wont stay attached to my stand. I found a bracket to keep it attached but its like another $45. My website is under construction but you can see some pics that I used the AB/VM/AO setup for www.jabbarwhitephoto.com under portfolio. There is a set that is available light and the rest is my strobe setup. Been itching to order two Apollo Strips to go with the Orb to use for rim lighting.

Congrats man! I got my first full-time photography job last September, and like you I had minimal/beginner gear and had never used strobes in my life before my first day. I had no idea what I was doing but it also taught me to learn quickly and improvise when needed. I've easily grown more as a photographer since starting there than my past 4-5 years of shooting casually. It's seriously the best thing that's happened to me and I'm grateful everyday that I get to do whatever I want everyday. Hopefully you enjoy your new position as much as I do.

Anyone have the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f2.8 or the Rokinon 16mm f2.0? Thinking of picking it up for my 60D.

So I've been working on this photo for about 4 hours now and thought it came out pretty good. It's my first real attempt at using the clone stamp tool to clean up a picture, it's still a little iffy in some spots if you zoom in but overall it's not bad for my first attempt I think.

Original:

Edit:

For those who have some time to kill can you name the differences between the two? Besides the sky which is obvious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom