The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I'm doing my very first wedding this Saturday, I am a little nervous but confident that I will do just fine. its a small backyard wedding. about 50 ppl or so. i got one of my buddies to help me out for the day ( who is also a photographer ) . I have been doing some reading and practicing a lot. i have a Canon T3i with 3 lenses ( kit lens, 50 1.8 & 40 2.8 ) i also have the ability to rent lenses. what are some lenses that you would recommend ?

I'm doing my very first wedding this Saturday, I am a little nervous but confident that I will do just fine. its a small backyard wedding. about 50 ppl or so. i got one of my buddies to help me out for the day ( who is also a photographer ) . I have been doing some reading and practicing a lot. i have a Canon T3i with 3 lenses ( kit lens, 50 1.8 & 40 2.8 ) i also have the ability to rent lenses. what are some lenses that you would recommend ?

Go long. Get an 85 since you have a crop. Tight shots of the face of say when they kiss will be good. Full body shots, rely on the kit I guess. You could even use a 24-70mm 2.8 which should give you some range in one lens.

The 1.2 is a love hate lens. I've rented a couple of times but the focusing on it can be really iffy. It just doesn't get spot on all the time and especially wide open. Shooting at F/1.2 is damn near a waste cause you'll get a nose clear and not other things in focus. I've never used the Sigma but seeing how this is a wedding, you want the focus to be spot on so you don't miss out on those golden shots.

I shot with the 135mm L. It might be a super telephoto on a crop but that thing locks on great for shooting people. At least it gives you the option of shooting far away without having to get in the wedding parties way. Try even the other 85mm non L that Canon makes. Never used it but people say that lens is good.

The 1.2 is a love hate lens. I've rented a couple of times but the focusing on it can be really iffy. It just doesn't get spot on all the time and especially wide open. Shooting at F/1.2 is damn near a waste cause you'll get a nose clear and not other things in focus. I've never used the Sigma but seeing how this is a wedding, you want the focus to be spot on so you don't miss out on those golden shots.

I shot with the 135mm L. It might be a super telephoto on a crop but that thing locks on great for shooting people. At least it gives you the option of shooting far away without having to get in the wedding parties way. Try even the other 85mm non L that Canon makes. Never used it but people say that lens is good.
This one right ?

^^^^Yup..that's the one. Good bokeh on that thing and at F/2, that is all you really need. Indoor might be a different situation but hopefully your ISO can do the trick. If you are shooting outdoor, you are good.

Some samples I just googled:

double_wedding-0900.jpg
2012_07_2216_39_25EOS-5D-Mark-III1783.jpg
JillTiongcoPhotography_00241.jpg

And found this little blog on weddings and lens: http://jilltiongco.com/wedding-photography-equipment-whats-in-jtphotos-bag/

Also (from what I hear) make sure you got backups on things like batteries or even a second camera.

I have been second shooting for a guy a lot this year at weddings. Try to photograph everything they paid for. Try to record the day as it happens.

You need some basic shots:
Bridal party getting ready (If you can only get one, get the girls/bride)
Take pictures of the venues, both ceremony and reception
First look (if the couple does it before ceremony)
Exchanging vows
Exchanging rings
First kiss
Talk to the bride and groom and decide when and what family shots they would like to have done. Couple and his family, couple and her family, etc
Get to the reception before everyone else to get photos of the cake, center pieces, and any other details paid for for the wedding
First dance
Speeches
Father daughter dance, mother son dance
Everyone dancing/having a good time afterwards

Remember details details details. And if someone starts crying, shoot it.

^^^^Yup..that's the one. Good bokeh on that thing and at F/2, that is all you really need. Indoor might be a different situation but hopefully your ISO can do the trick. If you are shooting outdoor, you are good.

Some samples I just googled:

double_wedding-0900.jpg
2012_07_2216_39_25EOS-5D-Mark-III1783.jpg
JillTiongcoPhotography_00241.jpg

And found this little blog on weddings and lens: http://jilltiongco.com/wedding-photography-equipment-whats-in-jtphotos-bag/

Also (from what I hear) make sure you got backups on things like batteries or even a second camera.

Ceremony is indoor. Reception is outdoor like 6 in the afternoon.

DAmn....so out of now where, my girl got me a new Canon 50mm 1.2 L and I never really wanted this lens but wonder if I should keep it. I actually wanted a longer lens for a chance but just shooting around the apartment, I think the 50mm might be more useful for what I do. Still....not sure. I mean I am so damn grateful but never figured to get this lens.

Anyone want to share their opinions? Has anyone used this lens before or should I get the 85mm? My holy trinity with lenses has always been 14mm, 24mm and 85mm.

DAmn....so out of now where, my girl got me a new Canon 50mm 1.2 L and I never really wanted this lens but wonder if I should keep it. I actually wanted a longer lens for a chance but just shooting around the apartment, I think the 50mm might be more useful for what I do. Still....not sure. I mean I am so damn grateful but never figured to get this lens.

Anyone want to share their opinions? Has anyone used this lens before or should I get the 85mm? My holy trinity with lenses has always been 14mm, 24mm and 85mm.

Lol. I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it bro! For real tho...

I've heard good and bad about the 50L; but mostly good. I always hear that you need a 50 in your kit, and if you're going to have one as a Canon shooter, it might as well be the 50L. It's sharp and the focal length is pretty versatile as it can be used for portraits as well as a lens for street photography.

For me personally, I have the 35L and the 135L and I actually want both the 50L and 85L. I've heard that the 85L is slow to focus but that's just cause there's so much glass and it's more of a portrait lens so you can take your time rather than "spraying and praying." The 85L is a grail for me and I hope to add it to my kit soon.

But I'll take a 50L if one is available...

^^^Haha. I knew I was going to get that. Been watching a lot of vids within the last half hour. It seems this lens is always compared to the cheaper 1.4 version and most say it is only slightly better. Actually in another video, shooting on a full frame wide open at F/1.2 is not suggested just cause the corners are always soft.

What do like that I am hearing though is the coloring on the L is better. That is what I hate about the 50mm 1.8 but that is what you get with a $100 lens. The color and color contrast is just not there and even in post, it doesn't look as good. Granted I would think all L lenses create good color but I shot with the 100m macro before and that seemed to have some issues as well.

Luckily the lens came from B&H. I got 30 days to think about it. I don't shoot portraits but maybe this will force me to do so. I am going to take it out for a night shoot soon and I'll post my results when I get back.

^Keep it for the bokehhh balls!! Lol Referencing the video you posted yesterday.

But what would you use the 50mm for besides portraits and concerts?

Last edited:
People are really saying that this 50mm is really for the bokeh. There are only so many lenses out there that can shoot at F/1.2 and this is one of them and the 85mm is the other.

I thought this blog was rad. Dude traveled with his L lenses on a trip and showed what all his shots were with each lens: http://www.jeaphotography.co.uk/blog/travel-photography-in-sri-lanka

I really wanted an 85mm to force me to shoot differently. I have been in a photo slump as of late. I would go out and literally get nothing good. I really have no excuses too. I have like the best equipment anyone would want, so I really think I just flat out suck....right now hopefully. Since I have the Nifty Fifty, I just feel like this lens won't do anything different, but we'll see. Concert wise, 50mm is an odd range. Not too close but not too far. I would rather shoot super wide or super tight. The middle is kind of worthless imo.

People are really saying that this 50mm is really for the bokeh. There are only so many lenses out there that can shoot at F/1.2 and this is one of them and the 85mm is the other.

I thought this blog was rad. Dude traveled with his L lenses on a trip and showed what all his shots were with each lens: http://www.jeaphotography.co.uk/blog/travel-photography-in-sri-lanka

I really wanted an 85mm to force me to shoot differently. I have been in a photo slump as of late. I would go out and literally get nothing good. I really have no excuses too. I have like the best equipment anyone would want, so I really think I just flat out suck....right now hopefully. Since I have the Nifty Fifty, I just feel like this lens won't do anything different, but we'll see. Concert wise, 50mm is an odd range. Not too close but not too far. I would rather shoot super wide or super tight. The middle is kind of worthless imo.

if you're iffy on the fifty, maybe the 85mm is where it's at? you've already got that focal length covered & while the 50 L @ 1.2 is probably better @ 1.8 than what you currently have, it seems you don't enjoy shooting with that focal length anyway...

and even though that 35mm-50mm range is supposed to mimic closely how we see, it is said they aren't really good lengths for portraiture (kinda obviously for lengths around 35mm) on full frame (better on a crop sensor though) because they still do some distortion to faces...

Landed a new gig that demands an upgrade from the T2i. Can't believe I've made it this far on this body with the kit lens + a couple cheap primes.

Looking to get a 6D with the 24-105L, 35L, 135L, and 300 F4L. hopefully most of those before July. Can't wait! :nerd:

Landed a new gig that demands an upgrade from the T2i. Can't believe I've made it this far on this body with the kit lens + a couple cheap primes.

Looking to get a 6D with the 24-105L, 35L, 135L, and 300 F4L. hopefully most of those before July. Can't wait! :nerd:

That's a lot of $$ to drop in 2 weeks. Keep an eye on slickdeals for 6D bundles that will run you about 2k+tax, also look on craigslist.

Last edited:
That's a lot of $$ to drop in 2 weeks. Keep an eye on slickdeals for 6D bundles that will run you about 2k+tax, also look on craigslist.

Going to try to get most of it used, if possible. Priority right now is upgrade to the 6D kit + the 300 F4L. The rest can wait. I have a 28mm 1.8, and 50mm 1.4 that will hold me over until I can grab the 35L, and 135L.

Will definitely keep an eye out on those deals, however with the USD > CAD exchange rate, I'll pretty much be in the same boat spending wise...

You're FF right? I would say 50 1.2 is definitely a "must have" lens if you're shooting full. I see that you do a lot of street/everyday photography. I would rather have a 50 over the 85 for my style of shooting, personally. The only time I'd pick up an 85 is for portraits. But shoot, I don't shoot portraits :lol:

Santi......what gig did you land? Shooting drifting/racing? 300mm is super long.....no homo.

Take that #@)@ back and get the 85.
No body talks about how good the 50 is. NOBODY.

Oddly I agree. 85 is just the focal length to have. It's not a a everyday lens but it gets you shots that you can't get with other lenses. 50mm is like the suitable lens but hard to really get tons of character out of it. With that said.........

Shot this tonight. Kind of treated as a long lens cause I wanted to test the bokeh. Obviously it could even be creamier but I wanted the background to somewhat be clear so you can tell it's Alamo Square (Full House houses). So far I can't say I hate the lens. I'll be testing it more on some tighter shots with portraits. Just need more damn subject matter.

50-milli-1.jpg

I just got to be like this guy and get it all:

Back
Top Bottom