The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

So I got rid of my camera about 6 months ago and have regretted it since. I've been saving and will decide between the D600, D700, and D800.

I've been shooting through Instagram in the meantime. Most of my shots are posted to my site, hectormachuca.com.

Here's a few recents:

He does have some nice shots. Looks like those are all 6" action figures. The ones I photographed are Marvel Icon 12" action figures. I actually had fun taking pictures of them. I think I'll try it again with some of my other action figures. I like the backgrounds/scenes he made for them. I do not have the time or space for that.

Look you keep brining this up like thats what I said. Stop letting your imagination run wild. I figured the WB on his camera was off, so I suggested him reset it with a grey card. Not in the club, but in a well lit area. That should make sense to someone who has been shooting for "5 years" (we read it the first dozen times you posted it).

I agree that he should be shooting with his WB on Auto. I do not know if you are just that full of yourself to not admit that you were wrong in this situation. It was obviously the problem when he posted the screen shot. You keep bringing up ISO and Shutter speed. All I see is you posting is decent pictures with no issues. Prove your point by posting a picture with similar conditions where the ISO and shutter speed was the problem.

Cool fam, I'm not about I get in a pissing match, I'm not wrong, I've shot in those situation with WB always set in auto and never have had issues with it, as long as I set my ISO/shutter/aperture accordingly I'm able to control the amount of ambient bled into the subjects....is as simple as it gets, those who want to take my advice feel free, those who want to take yours and waste their time with a damb grey card in a club with all sorts of different ever changing lights and lasers can also do the same....the choice is theirs.

Cool fam, I'm not about I get in a pissing match, I'm not wrong, I've shot in those situation with WB always set in auto and never have had issues with it, as long as I set my ISO/shutter/aperture accordingly I'm able to control the amount of ambient bled into the subjects....is as simple as it gets, those who want to take my advice feel free, those who want to take yours and waste their time with a damb grey card in a club with all sorts of different ever changing lights and lasers can also do the same....the choice is theirs.

You still talkin huh? I see why you like pictures. You don't read to well... I'm done talkin to you about this.

Speaking of all this ISO, Aperture/F-Stop & Shutter speed. I always shoot RAW & I leave my White Balance on Auto. That way, when I post process I can correct it later.

Worrying about White Balance on the spot?

Anyways, some shots from last night. 

ore on my blog - www.dunksrnice.net

Last edited:
So Im looking into buying a 50mm lens and there's a few versions of this lens. I definitely cant afford the PRIME lens, so thats out of the question.

But Is there a big difference between the F1.4 and the F1.8? I know one has USM, do I really need it?

I only take pictures of my kids and at family parties. Nothing crazy.

^
All 50mm lenses are going to be primes, prime just means fixed focal length.

Check out digitalrev, they have a good comparison of the 1.8 vs the 1.4

So Im looking into buying a 50mm lens and there's a few versions of this lens. I definitely cant afford the PRIME lens, so thats out of the question.

But Is there a big difference between the F1.4 and the F1.8? I know one has USM, do I really need it?

A 50mm is a "prime" lens, but I know what you mean.

The 1.8 is definitely worth the price. If you are shooting with a cropped sensor though, the actual focal length will be around 80mm...

so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Kicked it with a friend yesterday.

He has a D700. I got to play around with it, it was cool.

He had a 28mm mounted on it and it was real fun playing with it.

Going from 50mm (my camera) to 28mm on a full frame is a big difference. I really liked it.

The 50mm 1.4 is probably one of the best canon non L lenses and is only what?..300$

Go with that one bro...find a used one on Craigslist for about 200$...you won't regret it

I had both the F/1.8 & F/1.4 at one point. Basically the big difference is stops in light. Was great F/1.8, inexpensive, and overall light. The same goes for F/1.4 except again, your paying for the extra two stops of light. One thing I did notice was the bokeh. You get real nice creamy circles/ovals at F/1.4, compared to F/1.8 you get something similar but more sharp ended circles/ovals. If you shoot in low light, and want to use natural light, the F/1.4 is the better option. DOF as well plays a big role in the two. Other than that, thats my take on the two. I have the F/1.4 and don't regreat it at all. Some examples.

F/1.4 - The circles/ovals i was talking about.

F/2 - Yeah, I know it's not F/1.8 but very close. I always shoot at F/2, because well its sharp and a lot better than shooting open wide. Not sure if you can tell the difference in circles/ovals from the bokeh.

Hope this helps.

First time shooting last night, I have not the slightest idea what i am doing. Practice makes perfect. Any feedback is appreciated, bad or good.

Back
Top Bottom