The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just signed up for what looks like an interesting Adobe live event - it's being broadcast on their youtube channel at 2pm EST.

info here - http://t.info.adobesystems.com//r/?id=h6ba715f9,7ae39ba7,7b4da9ae

Just in case anyone is thinking of watching that - don't bother. It's a waste of time. They have had 2 people on so far demonstrating their workflow and neither knows what they're doing. The second one was particularly bad - her entire workflow appears to be making it square (instagram duh!) and increasing the contrast. Not exactly rocket science.

I was hoping for a decent photographer showing what they do to make a decent photo into something great.

Oh well.

Any recommendations for wiping down your camera and cleaning your lens. Wipes, water and microfiber cloth, what's the best approach?

My girlfriend's brother started getting into photography like a year ago and he's had recent success shooting a wedding and something else.

He started by shooting himself, family members, family functions, making videos, etc. and I guess word just got out.

He also had some buzz off workout videos already, but nonetheless I think starting with what you have and working up from there is probably a good idea.

Mind you I just do this for fun so.

Who's in the bay area? I know djyoung08 djyoung08 and @Fongstarr are.

So I'm trying to really get into photography as a small business on the side of my 9-5. Marketing has been killing me but I know that I lack a portfolio (only have had one booked shoot two weeks ago)

My questions are:

1. How can a brotha be a second photographer to anyone in this group that's in the bay? I need to develop my body of work on shoots with people.
  2. What do you use for websites/portfolio hosting? Been working on a site on squarespace and pixieset for my client portfolios
  3. Send help.

Thanks!

- i leveraged and continue to leverage instagram A LOT... like a lot a lot. I post no less than once a day for the past year and 10 months. Haven't missed a day of posting since i decided to embrace the hustle. Ask everyone to take their photo so you have content to post. Build your audience. People will come if they resonate w/ your work.

- Go to local businesses and show them why your photography services will elevate their business.

- Show a value exchange that is more than "pictures for cash"

- I use squarespace
www.jamesyoungphotography.com

Yes.....at that rate, get a newer and slightly older entry level Rebel camera and I am sure that even shoots better than the 70D. Sometimes too old is too old but that is just me. I am sure the newer Rebels have a better sensor, ISO and even video.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for wiping down your camera and cleaning your lens. Wipes, water and microfiber cloth, what's the best approach?

For lenses I use a LensPen and a blower.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051483-REG/lenspen_nlp1_c_nlp1c_lens_pen.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838819-REG/sensei_bl_012_bulb_air_blower_cleaning_system.html

A lens pen is totally worth it - great for removing specs without leaving a smudge.

booked my first 2 2018 weddings this past week
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hit 1,000 Youtube subscribers this week

Whoop whoop!
That is awesome dude congrats!!

Admittedly I didn't really look at the features of the Gnarbox but couldn't you buy something like this for ≈1/8th the price? Then put the money
Again, thanks for lettin' me know this exists. Coppin' one today off amazon, should have it by Saturday. Wish I could rep you again

Hey guys, I have a nikon 35mm 1.8 AF-S lens that just recently stopped autofocusing. I used it for about 2 weeks straight on a trip and had no problems but I pulled it out yesterday and could only manual focus with it. Anyone ever have a similar issue? I did try cleaning the contacts but didn't go at them too hard bc I don't want to damage anything.

i havent posted in awhile, but i recently went to Hawaii. didnt take too many photos since i was in and out of swimming most of the time and a lot of the places i went didn't really need to be photographed with a dslr lol. i'm not the biggest fan of taking landscape shots, but this place is too nice not to! After editing these i'm actually starting to like landscapes more then i have before lol

All feedback would be appreciated!

nv6pp4.jpg

2ish1f7.jpg

16iveyq.jpg

eprhp4.jpg

amb3n9.jpg

119p56s.jpg

2ljgeht.jpg

9livbb.jpg

Been working with this RavPower FileHub and biggest complaint is that it does not read RAW files nor is there a spelled out corresponding app or download to make that happen.

My goal was to be able to take pictures, put the memory card in the Hub, view and select preferred photos and edit them using Lightroom, and have them social media/share ready. At this point best I can get is shooting in RAW+ JPG and spend about5-10 mins transferring the JPG photos and getting them in Lightroom. But of course JPGs don't have the editing range of RAW so that's a bit of disappointment.

Gonna play around with it some more and see if I can get a solid routine. I think I see where the Gnarbox is a bit superior being since it's media focused and has it's own processor and a much more robust app. Hopefully I can happen upon the right stuff

Can't wait to rock this new toy!

19961395_1579085742104131_2137474039052958928_n.jpg

Attachments

• 19961395_1579085742104131_2137474039052958928_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5
i havent posted in awhile, but i recently went to Hawaii. didnt take too many photos since i was in and out of swimming most of the time and a lot of the places i went didn't really need to be photographed with a dslr lol. i'm not the biggest fan of taking landscape shots, but this place is too nice not to! After editing these i'm actually starting to like landscapes more then i have before lol

All feedback would be appreciated!

nv6pp4.jpg

2ish1f7.jpg

16iveyq.jpg

eprhp4.jpg

amb3n9.jpg

119p56s.jpg

2ljgeht.jpg

9livbb.jpg

Technically those are fine - but the position of your camera is a bit off. In a couple of cases you've clipped things that are interesting (or they're just too close to the edge of the frame) and in others you've got the horizon right in the middle.

The rule of thirds would be useful in this situation - so put the horizon on either the 1/3 or 2/3 line depending if the sky or land is more interesting.

Beautiful views though!

Technically those are fine - but the position of your camera is a bit off. In a couple of cases you've clipped things that are interesting (or they're just too close to the edge of the frame) and in others you've got the horizon right in the middle.

The rule of thirds would be useful in this situation - so put the horizon on either the 1/3 or 2/3 line depending if the sky or land is more interesting.

Beautiful views though!

Appreciate the feedback. Do you mean clipped as in clipping blacks and whites or what? As for the horizontal line I see what you mean. Since I didn't do it in camera would it be fine to change the crop in order fix that?

Can't wait to rock this new toy!

Nice! Man....I have been seeing people take photos with the Phantom 4 pro and they are starting to look really good and even in low light. I am getting super interested in getting one just cause it's the best thing to shooting aerial shots without having to pay for a helicopter but I feel like I should still wait to have them master a really good one. The Phantom 4 pro seems to be the one as far as digital stills are concerned.

Appreciate the feedback. Do you mean clipped as in clipping blacks and whites or what? As for the horizontal line I see what you mean. Since I didn't do it in camera would it be fine to change the crop in order fix that?

I should have said cropped - and a lot of that can be fixed after. Modern images are so big that even for printing/display you can lose a significant amount around the edges and still have a decent sized image.

I often try and leave a little buffer around the edge to allow for optimal cropping in post.

I should have said cropped - and a lot of that can be fixed after. Modern images are so big that even for printing/display you can lose a significant amount around the edges and still have a decent sized image.

I often try and leave a little buffer around the edge to allow for optimal cropping in post.

Yeah I figured cropping was fine. I gotta get out shooting more. I still have a lot to learn lol. Will mess with the crop on tjere then. Appreciate the feedback

Back
Top Bottom