The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Tor the price of the t6i, isn't it better to just go for the SL2 or even pay a bit more for the t7i?

The addition of the Dual Pixel CMOS AF on the new lower Canons sounds like a huge upgrade in comparison to the old ones and especially helpful for beginners.

Tor the price of the t6i, isn't it better to just go for the SL2 or even pay a bit more for the t7i?

The addition of the Dual Pixel CMOS AF on the new lower Canons sounds like a huge upgrade in comparison to the old ones and especially helpful for beginners.

I believe dual pixel is more beneficial for videos but definitely worthwhile upgrade. Also note that the price of the t6i should go down in price with the release of new cameras. Take a look at the 80D, differences between t7i and SL2 vs the 80D should be the penaprism, micro af adjustments, weather sealing, and handling.

Had a chance to buy a T7i body for $400. I kind of regret not getting it.

I like to Vlog... went to Best Buy to test out the T7i, man that thing was fast at autofocusing.

From person to person, up close and moving away from my face. The focusing was quick and silent.

Last edited:
the dual pixel helps on quick auto focus and used to be on Canons high-end cameras and I believe this is one of the most significant updates they have made to the rebel line (or any lower end cameras) so most of what I've seen/read is that if you got a few dollars to spare, try and go for the newer one unless you can find the Sl1 or t6i at a deep, deep discount

t7i's touch screen/shutter focus looks to be very helpful too

Last edited:

Okay, been toying with the manual focus. I'll go and shoot with it tomorrow.

Also messing with the ISO. Still confused by it. From what I can tell changing the ISO either lightens or darkens the image. Then there's a wheel on the top of the camera that adjusts it further. Like a fine tune.
What is the function of ISO and what do the two sliders in the last two pics mean?
ISO is like artificial brightness. Makes the photo brighter at the cost of higher noise. And how much noise depends on your camera. Better (higher end/newer) cameras are more forgiving on high ISO.

Does anyone here use high speed sync?

I was watching some videos and think they look awesome.

Anyone have some tips or advice?

I was doing research and reading about how speedlites wont be enough, or at least for whole body shots.

It worked in the video below being that it was gloomy.

But now that it's summer, the sun is in full effect so gotta fight it with something stronger.

I'd like to hear your expertise?

Last edited:
^^^^I need to get one. I have my eye on the Yongnuo but honestly I never shoot flashes enough for purchase. HSS is a nice way to go but you won't get tons of power like how you would on a strobe. I think some head shots are fine but when you get into doing couples of even group shots, you need something better. I think it's a great starter before getting into strobes. Also shooting off flash during sunset or in shaded areas is very rewarding too on non HSS flashes. I would even just mess with that. The best thing I love about flashes is when done right, they are all ready for print and are sharp as can be. Obviously its a look though and much different than natural light but I find flash stuff just to be pixel perfect in regards to the sharpness and tones.

Yeah, I was looking into the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II and YN968EX-RT, basically one just has an additional nifty LED light for video.

I used to not like photos where you could tell that a flash was used. But as time went on, I learned to appreciate it.

I think I might mess around with the Yongnuo 622 flash triggers to take advantage of the HSS, and perhaps pick up one of the speedlites I mentioned above.

The only issue though is would it be better to just go directly to a strobe? I've read how stressful HSS is to flashes, and Yongnuo aren't exactly the best flashes in terms of longevity.

I feel like eventually, you'd just want more power to move onto the full body shots.

Hope someone who has used it can chime in!

-

Also, some photos over the weekend. Didn't take too many but I just got an 85 and am loving it so far.

Just getting used to the distancing with photos now and trying to frame things.

I missed this one, stupid meter, but tried to make up for it with the next shot. I feel as though I framed it too tight though with the next one.

And then I saw this parked down the street later.

I'm still getting used to the no swivel screen, coming from my t3i to the 6d now.
It was hard trying to take this photo since I didn't want to lay on the ground :lol:

And seeing my friend come down the street. How are you guys with AI Servo?
I find myself struggling with it and don't know if I should bother using it.

Buy my camera tomorrow. Man I'm excited this is something I wanted to get into for a very very long time. Can't wait to start shooting. 

And seeing my friend come down the street. How are you guys with AI Servo?
I find myself struggling with it and don't know if I should bother using it.

It depends on what you are shooting with. I use it but know it's not that great for some scenarios. There are ways to make it work. Like with the skate photos I posted, I moved a group of points to the right of the sensor and then shot vertical on AI servo and it would just do constant focus on the top of the photo where the skater was jumping. But with sports and what not, my Mark 3 is not great but that is where you need the 1DX and what not. I would imagine though for general use and even things like kids sports that AI servo is good. It's just not terribly great on faster things unless you have the better auto focus system.

Who's in the bay area? I know djyoung08 djyoung08 and @Fongstarr are.

So I'm trying to really get into photography as a small business on the side of my 9-5. Marketing has been killing me but I know that I lack a portfolio (only have had one booked shoot two weeks ago)

My questions are:

1. How can a brotha be a second photographer to anyone in this group that's in the bay? I need to develop my body of work on shoots with people.
  2. What do you use for websites/portfolio hosting? Been working on a site on squarespace and pixieset for my client portfolios
  3. Send help.

Thanks!

^^^That is a good question. DJYoung08 might have a better answer for this since I don't do photography as a business. Perhaps just do some pro bono work with friends and let your credentials go word of mouth. You can always craigslist to see if there are photographers that need a 2nd shooter. Or even perhaps join some workshops and get in the know with others. I guess the ideas are limitless but by the end of it all, just go out there and shoot. The more photos you get, the more of a portfolio you will create. Even social media is a big key. Network with others on there and perhaps ask questions to them to see if you can get some free advise.

Back
Top Bottom