The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

Originally Posted by bkmac

I read on a Jets forum I am a member of that Coles signed with the Dolphins. No surprise if it's true...

He's visiting buffalo today

and the NFC east just keeps getting better...
eek.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

I guess now that Haynesworth is gone, we'll get a better glimpse into just how good Cortland Finnergan is.

He'll be okay on that Titans defense. Their front 4 is still pretty good. Young DT's stepped up nicely
when Haynesworth went down so I'm expecting them to continue to play solid.

eek.gif
Dawkins would be a huge step in the right direction and help set the tone on the defense. We haven't had a bonafide leader since Al Wilson...

I don't see it happening, though.

Bart Scott is gone to the Jets, 4 years $40 mil.

Ray Lewis is all but, not sure what the details of the deal are.

Originally Posted by flightman

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The price tag for DeMarcus Ware just went through the roof...
laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif
Ware will get some A-Rod like deal from JJ
laugh.gif
JJ has played the market well the past few years so u know he is about due for a dumb one

Yea, giving $67,000,000 to a Qb who's never won a playoff game and $45,000,000 to a RB who's never had a 1000 yard season is playing the market well. SMH... cowbums

and on open market they would of got the same amout of $$

[h1]Vikings acquire QB Rosenfels[/h1]

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)-The Minnesota Vikings acquired quarterback Sage Rosenfels from the Houston Texans on Friday and signed him to a two-year, $9 million contract.

Rosenfels' agent, Rick Smith, said his client "is extremely excited for this opportunity."

The 31-year-old Rosenfels will compete with incumbent TarvarisJackson for the starting job.

It's the second season in a row that the Vikings have tried to trade for Rosenfels. Last year, the two teams could not agree on compensation, soMinnesota brought in veteran Gus Frerotte as a backup.

It was not immediately clear what the Vikings gave up to land Rosenfels, but the Houston Chronicle previously reported it would be a fourth-round draftpick.

"It's something we've been working on for a while and it finally came to fruition," Smith said. "This is the first time in his careerthat he's had a great opportunity to start. Nothing has been promised to him. He's just extremely excited for this opportunity."
Rosenfels went2-3 in five starts for the injured Matt Schaub last season. He threwfor 1,431 yards with six touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 66.7 completion percentage.
Bringing in someone to compete with Jackson for the starting job was one of Minnesota's biggest offseason priorities after losing to Philadelphia in theplayoffs.

Jackson was benched after two losses to open last season and Frerotte went 8-3 in his place.

When Frerotte went down with a back injury, Jackson flourished to finish the regular season. He rallied the Vikings to a victory over the Lions afterFrerotte got injured and won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors the following week after throwing four touchdown passes in a road victory overArizona.

In the first round of the playoffs, however, Jackson took a big step back against the frenetic blitzes of the Philly defense. He went 15-for-34 for 164yards and had an interception returned for a touchdown in a 26-14 loss to the Eagles that ended Minnesota's season.

"We need to put somebody in place that will push (Jackson) and compete with him, and I think competition is the nature of the game," Childresstold reporters at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. "At some places it may not be … (but) in our situation, we need to have a good healthy competition,because I think that makes everybody better."

Rosenfels was up and down last season as well.

Playing under Gary Kubiak in Houston, Rosenfels ran a West Coast offense similar to the one that Brad Childress employs in Minnesota. He did throw four moreinterceptions than touchdowns, but he had a good completion percentage, which is important in this scheme.

Jackson has struggled in that area, having yet to complete better than 59.1 percent of his passes in his three seasons in the league.

Last year he started five games and played in nine total, throwing for 1,056 yards with nine touchdowns and just two interceptions.

The trade likely means the 37-year-old Frerotte, who threw for 2,157 yards with 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season, will be let go.

He completed 21 of 29 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns in relief of Schaub against the Vikings in November, but he also threw an interception in theend zone in the 28-21 loss.

In October, Rosenfels came in for Schaub again and had the Texans up by 17 points in the fourth quarter, but fumbled twice down the stretch as the Coltsrallied to win 31-27.

But the market for quarterbacks is especially thin this offseason, with other options including Jeff Garcia, Dan Orlovsky, Rex Grossman and RyanFitzpatrick.

Playing under Gary Kubiak in Houston, Rosenfels ran a West Coast offense similar to the one that Brad Childress employs in Minnesota. He did throw four moreinterceptions than touchdowns, but he had a good completion percentage, which is important in this scheme.

Jackson has struggled in that area, having yet to complete better than 59.1 percent of his passes in his three seasons in the league.

Last year he started five games and played in nine total, throwing for 1,056 yards with nine touchdowns and just two interceptions.

The trade likely means the 37-year-old Frerotte, who threw for 2,157 yards with 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season, will be let go.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

What exactly is wrong with Jonathan Vilma? I was surprised the Saints cut him...

same question i have
If they signed Vilma prior to the start of Free Agency they would have had to surrender one of their 1st round picks. Trust me they will resignhim no later than next week if it even goes on that long.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The price tag for DeMarcus Ware just went through the roof...
laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif
Ware will get some A-Rod like deal from JJ
laugh.gif
JJ has played the market well the past few years so u know he is about due for a dumb one

Yea, giving $67,000,000 to a Qb who's never won a playoff game and $45,000,000 to a RB who's never had a 1000 yard season is playing the market well. SMH... cowbums

that's a good point, mike....people act like these dudes wouldn't get even more lucrative deals had they REALLY tested being a FA...a lot of times theygive a "hometown discount," and turn down more money from other franchises just to stay put....

SCRATCH what i said about Bart Scott to the Jets... the Jets gave him the offer (5-years, $40 mil), but he hasn't signed it yet.

after he got the offer, he reportedly called the Ravens and is giving them a chance to match.

Ozzie Newsome should pay up for Bart, and just let Ray walk.

Originally Posted by heat23

Vrabel to be traded to Chiefs
I see what they did there... Cassel next?
nerd.gif

My wishlist: ILB - Bart Scott
nerd.gif
, Guard - Chris Kemoeatu
mad.gif
, CB - JabariGreer
nerd.gif
, S - Jim Leonhard
nerd.gif

LETS GO TANNY!!!

Steelers agreed to terms with OG Chris Kemoeatu on a five-year, $20 million contract.

The Jets weren't offering much more money, so Kemoeatu decided to settle for the offer already on the table from the Steelers. Following the release of Kendall Simmons, the Steelers are set to enter 2009 with Keoeatu and Darnell Stapleton as the starting guards.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
222157e877ee4508285bd87c9d8abd7440b925c.gif
!!!
smh.gif
Should've just gave Brandon the roster bonus... now, we've lost our mostdurable and best run blocker.

id much rather give 67,000,000 to a qb that only played 1.5 seasons but put up some of the best numbers ever for my franchise ... and check yourstats because barber did go over 1,000 yards as a split time back ...

how many playoff games has haynesworth won for himself? lolololololol comparing money thrown at a corner or a d tackle to money thrown at a quarterback and arunning back ...
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

Originally Posted by heat23

Vrabel to be traded to Chiefs
I see what they did there... Cassel next?
nerd.gif

My wishlist: ILB - Bart Scott
nerd.gif
, Guard - Chris Kemoeatu
mad.gif
, CB - Jabari Greer
nerd.gif
, S - Jim Leonhard
nerd.gif

LETS GO TANNY!!!

Steelers agreed to terms with OG Chris Kemoeatu on a five-year, $20 million contract.

The Jets weren't offering much more money, so Kemoeatu decided to settle for the offer already on the table from the Steelers. Following the release of Kendall Simmons, the Steelers are set to enter 2009 with Keoeatu and Darnell Stapleton as the starting guards.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
!!!
smh.gif
Should've just gave Brandon the roster bonus... now, we've lost our most durable and best run blocker.

heheheh...
pimp.gif

[h1]Bidding war continues between New York Jets and Ravens for LB Bart Scott[/h1] [h3]by Dave Hutchinson[/h3]
[h3]Friday February 27, 2009, 2:53 PM[/h3]

My guy in Baltimore just told me that the Ravens have increased their offer to linebacker Bart Scott to five-years, $42 million. Wow.

Scott is still at the Jets' Florham Park training complex but he has yet to sign the dotted line and both sides have taken off the gloves. As I said earlier, the Jets are $29 million under the cap compared to just $19 million for the Ravens but that doesn't seem to matter.

I'm told that Jets coach Rex Ryan is determined to get Scott to sign with the Jets and will stop at nothing.

Stay tuned.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/bidding_war_continues_between.html

heheheh...
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
frown.gif
smh.gif
We take 1 step forward, then take 4 or 5 steps back... I can'tstand this franchise sometimes.
tired.gif

apparently Bart Scott WANTS to stay in Baltimore, but he also wants assurance that he will be the centerpiece and not Ray:

Baltimore Sun

Ravens Insider: The inside scoop and analysis on the team from The Baltimore Sun's Ravens columnist and Ravens beat writer.

« Bye-bye Bart | Main
Scott to Jets isn't done deal yet

Ravens inside linebacker Bart Scott is in New York, but continues to still negotiate with both the Ravens and Jets.

There is speculation that the Ravens have offered Scott a five-year contract worth $42 million, and Scott also wants assurances that he will become the center piece of the defense in Baltimore, much like Ray Lewis was during the last decade.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan, the Ravens' former defensive coordinator, keeps increasing the ante as the Ravens go up.

-- Mike Preston

so he is possibly waiting for Ray to sign somewhere else (which may not happen, because the Cowboys have said they don't want him).

Back
Top Bottom