The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

Bart Scott visiting with the Jets...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-5-478/Minutes-into-free-agency--Scott-praises-Jets-staff.html

About a half hour after he went up for bids, coveted linebacker Bart Scott spoke of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan in glowing terms.
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
4256.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table] Scott [/td] [/tr][/table]
Echoes from the 12 chimes of midnight barely had died out when Scott was a guest on "SportsCenter" early Friday morning to discuss his situation. He and the Baltimore Ravens failed to reach terms, sending Scott to the open market.

He's expected to meet with the Jets later Friday. Ryan was his defensive coordinator in Baltimore. The Jets' defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine, was Scott's position coach in Baltimore.

"I got a special place in my heart for those guys because they are the guys that gave me the chance and taught me how to play defense," Scott told ESPN via phone. "I was the happiest man in the world when he got the job because I felt it was long overdue.

"We always have a great time with Rex and the guys that helped kind of mature me from undrafted to what I am now. So they're just as much a part of my success as I am."

Kind of expected this... but we're going to offer HUGE amounts of cash to him. Apparently around $8 mil a year... just over the $7.5 theRavens offered him... however the contract would be shorter in terms of years. He would solidify our LB core though. He has plenty of help in the D with KrisJenkins up front, and David Harris beside him.

This Defense is going to be niceeeee. We just need some secondary help (especially at the other CB across Revis).

^ also.
Apparently, Scott's agents wanna see how the market arises before signing with anyone, and this can take up to days or weeks before any decision.
So I guess Scott won't be signing the dotted line just yet.

Haynesworth signed with the ********!

http://www.sportsflava.com/2009/02/haynesworth-signs-with-********.html
So i was watching ESPN News and they had a breaking news story run across the bottom of the screen about NFL Free Agency. As of about 10minutes ago , theWashington ******** signed defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to a 7 year, $100 million dollar contract, $41 million guaranteed and a maximum value of$115million. This is an instant upgrade to the ******** defense , no doubt about it. Congratulations to Albert getting the deal he deserves , watch out forthat ******** defense this up coming season. Yardage wise last season the ******** ranked 4th, i expect them to crack the top 3 with Albert now in the mix.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ... whats next for the skins? is adam archuleta still trying to make some money?

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/colts-keep-saturday/[/h2]
[h2]COLTS KEEP SATURDAY[/h2]
Possibly buoyed by that extra $4 million in cap space that every team picked up on Wednesday, the Colts have agreed to terms with center Jeff Saturday, according to the Indianapolis Star.

It's a three-year deal.

The Colts have been having serious salary cap problems of late. Earlier this week, they released receiver Marvin Harrison after he balked at a request to reduce his $9 million base salary.

But the Colts reportedly will allow seven other teams players on the team to become unrestricted free agents: running back Dominic Rhodes, punter Hunter Smith, linebacker Tyjuan Hagler, defensive tackle Darrell Reid, defensive end Josh Thomas, cornerback Keiwan Ratliff, and safety Matt Giordano.

The Dolphins re-signed Yeremiah Bell on the eve of free agency Thursday and acquired Gibril Wilson, who landed a big contract for the second year in a row.

WIL709677.jpg
Gibril Wilson, S
Miami Dolphins

2008 (w/ Oakland):
Tackles: 129
Interceptions: 2
Sacks: 1.5

Wilson, a five-year NFL veteran who was released by the Oakland Raiders last season, signed a four-year, $27.5 million deal. He'll receive $8 million guaranteed and $16.5 million in the first three years of the contract.

Bell, who has spent his entire five-year career with Miami, signed a four-year, $20 million contract rather than testing the free-agent market beginning Friday. His deal is worth $10 million guaranteed.

Ravens to host Foxworth: No position has demanded as much attention - and money - as cornerback. Now Baltimore is poised to make a move on one. The Ravens are hosting a visit with Atlanta free-agent cornerback Dominique Foxworth, who played at the University of Maryland. The Ravens are serious about signing Foxworth and a deal could be completed today.

Plan B for Bills:With Buffalo losing out to New England for the services of running back Fred Taylor, the Bills could turn to former Lions and Bears free-agent running back Kevin Jones, who has drawn interest from the Bills, Jets, Rams and Buccaneers.

Buffalo is keeping busy at other positions as well. On Thursday, Buffalo hosted a visit from former San Diego and Jacksonville cornerback Drayton Florence, who also is considering a return to San Diego.

And there is something about players going back to their original team. Guard Derrick Dockery, whom Buffalo released on Thursday, could return to Washington, where he still owns a home. Dockery also is thought to have drawn interest from Detroit.

Gaffney to visit Denver: Even though Denver demolished its defense after this season, the Broncos are seeking to improve their offense at the start of free agency.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels reached out to his former Patriots wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, who is scheduled to be in Denver on Friday.

The Broncos also pursued Giants free agent running back Derrick Ward, who has received interest from Denver, the Buccaneers, Rams, Bengals and Lions.

While McDaniels reached out to one of his former players, Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan did the same. Denver attempted to arrange a visit this weekend with San Francisco's free-agent defensive tackle Ronnie Fields. St. Louis attempted to do the same.

Super dividends: Super Bowl XLIII between Pittsburgh and Arizona helped draw added attention for Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden and Cardinals defensive end Antonio Smith. Now, each is busy fielding interest as a free agent.

Despite speculation that Detroit would pursue him, McFadden's first visit could be to the same Cardinals team his Steelers beat in the memorable Super Bowl.

Smith, meanwhile, has received recent calls and offers to visit the Buccaneers, Giants, Eagles, Texans and Falcons. He now is in the process of prioritizing those teams, at which point he would be expected to finalize an itinerary.

Word from NFLN is that Foxworth might already have a 4 year deal with Baltimore...

Taylor to sign with New England
Posted: February 27th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Fred Taylor, New England Patriots

Fred Taylor's run into the sunset took him straight to New England.

After visiting Buffalo and New England this week, Taylor decided to sign with the Patriots.

The agreement has been reached, Taylor is headed back to New England. After playing his first 11 NFL seasons with Jacksonville, he now is expected to finish his career as a Patriot.

Gunna's a Pats fan now...
eyes.gif

Springs to Be Released Today (Updated)
The ******** have informed veteran cornerback Shawn Springs that he will be released from the final year of his contract, according to Springs. A free-agent signing in 2004 and a Silver Spring native, Springs will become an unrestricted free agent.

"They did what's best for the team, and I'm happy for them," Springs said in a telephone conversation. "I'm going to miss my friends there, but as long as it makes the team better, I understand. I'm a true fan of the sport."

The ******** will save $6 million in cap space by letting him go and Springs could draw interest from New England, Dallas and Baltimore, among other teams. The ******** are still trying to sign their former guard Derrick Dockery, who was released by Buffalo, as well.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/**...s_to_be_released_t.html?wprss=*******sinsider

The price tag for DeMarcus Ware just went through the roof...
laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif
Ware will get some A-Rod like deal from JJ
laugh.gif
JJ has played the market well the past few years so u know he is about due for a dumb one

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif
laugh.gif
JJ has played the market well the past few years so u know he is about due for a dumb one
laugh.gif
Yeah we'll see how Jerry plays it... Ware's ayear younger than Haynesworth, he's in that same 'elite' category, he's coming off a year where he just made a run at the single-season sackrecord, and Jerry has to do whatever he can to keep him off the open market... It's gonna be interesting...

I read on a Jets forum I am a member of that Coles signed with the Dolphins. No surprise if it's true...

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif
Thanks Dan...
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Yea, giving $67,000,000 to a Qb who's never won a playoff game and $45,000,000 to a RB who's never had a 1000 yard season is playing the market well.SMH... cowbums

Originally Posted by heat23

Ravens sign CB Foxworth
Posted: February 27th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Domonique Foxworth

Baltimore continues to be one of the busiest teams on the first day of free agency. The Ravens signed cornerback Domonique Foxworth to a four-year, $28 million deal that includes $16.5 million guaranteed.
Fox turning a decent 10-game stretch into big money. Can't be mad at that...

Back
Top Bottom