The Official NBA Season Thread: Season Starts Now

Yeah I personally don’t think “time and place” should be too tall of an ask. And this is coming from someone that cusses a lot.

In certain work settings FOR ME it’s fine, in others it’s not. I try my best not to do it around my kids. But if I’m around my friends/family I’m generally letting it fly because that’s how most talk.

Doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I don’t think anyone on here is saying LaMelo (or anyone else) should change who he is or talk differently in the majority of situations; they’re talking about him cussing in a live TV interview.

Not cussing on live TV, when there’s almost certain to be young kids and people who are offended by cussing watching the broadcast, doesn’t seem like that big of an ask to me. :lol: Especially when it’s easy to avoid.

I'm less concerned about what they do in front of other friends in more intimate situations. But when a professional athlete does it comfortably on national TV without being checked, it sort of gives the impression to kids that it's acceptable regardless of setting. And young kids are impressionable. Especially when it comes to athletes, celebs and other people they look up to.

In my opinion.

I don't understand why this even has to be restated.

This whole, "It isn't hurting anyone so why can't they do it" approach to life is just something I don't get. Seems like there is a whole lot of that going on these days. Folks Just want to let whatever fly.

Folks can't be serious with this approach.

I think Lamelo is an authentically hyper immature ridiculous person, and so naturally he heavily identifies with the youth culture of his day.

which in 2024 is a kind of youth atlanta hip hop scene aesthetic.

I don't think it's identity issue, or some type of guise, this is his identity.
he just happens to work in an industry where he can be this way forever. instead of getting a regular 9-5 where you gotta act right.

I am a coach. It sets a bad example. Many young kids love LaMelo. So simply put, I want the people that people I care about to do right while in the public light. It's bigger than just "Pearl clutching."

Bingo.

Pearl clutching is good.

The millennial generation has this problem

we we're all raised with tons of media that essentially boils down to "the kids are always rights and the adults scolding them are wrong"

this is wrong.

kids are stupid and wrong most of the time, I was stupid and wrong, boys being impetuous, impulsive and not knowing how to act is a tale as old as time.

and boys especially rely on trusted and respected older men to tell them how to act right. not just their dads but just men in the community and role models to show them the way.

so yah Lamelo acting goofy and unprofessional, and he should do better and men should say that.

1729779108575.png

I guess I just don’t understand why cursing is such a huge deal. Idk, guess it’s just me. Much bigger things to be up in arms about in this day and age. Honestly this argument sounds like some **** from my youth where folks were blaming video games and rap music for all the world’s ills.

If cursing on the job is the worst my kids do I consider that a success. :lol:

Pearl clutching is good.

The millennial generation has this problem

we we're all raised with tons of media that essentially boils down to "the kids are always rights and the adults scolding them are wrong"

this is wrong.

kids are stupid and wrong most of the time, I was stupid and wrong, boys being impetuous, impulsive and not knowing how to act is a tale as old as time.

and boys especially rely on trusted and respected older men to tell them how to act right. not just their dads but just men in the community and role models to show them the way.

so yah Lamelo acting goofy and unprofessional, and he should do better and men should say that.

Don’t generalize. Girls and women need to subscribe to this mentality as well. It’s not just boys…

Don’t generalize. Girls and women need to subscribe to this mentality as well. It’s not just boys…

nah this is more important for men than it is for women. There's plenty of social science evidence that points to this.

Boys are more likely to adopt same gender role models, those role models have a bigger influence on standards of behavior

Boys in school do way better with male teachers especially in subjects like english. (girlsdo the same with both)

the economic performance of male role models in the community seems to have an impact on the development on boys.

Richard Reeves goes into all this in his book of boys and men

the bottom line is; and (this is kind of obvious ancient wisdom)
but the evidence seems to show that the standards that male role models seems to have a pretty sizable impact and the next generation of boys.

and i think it is generally good for adult men to set standard of what is and isn't acceptable standard of behavior. even in pop culture.

Folks need to stop having kids if they can’t raise them then
One of the biggest issues that people don't want to really talk about cause it can lead to borderline eugenic sounding conversations is that people who would be good or great parents increasingly make the decision not to have children, (decision that is mostly driven by cost living and lack of affordable housing), while people who profile as terrible parents don't think twice about it and have multiple children.

Maybe I'm wrong and just live in NY so I'm around a whole bunch of childless people but this is how I increasingly perceive it (anecdotally supported by my own experiences with my brother who's on disability and has two children that he can't support smh).

One of the biggest issues that people don't want to really talk about cause it can lead to borderline eugenic sounding conversations is that people who would be good or great parents increasingly make the decision not to have children, (decision that is mostly driven by cost living and lack of affordable housing), while people who profile as terrible parents don't think twice about it and have multiple children.

Maybe I'm wrong and just live in NY so I'm around a whole bunch of childless people but this is how I increasingly perceive it (anecdotally supported by my own experiences with my brother who's on disability and has two children that he can't support smh).

All this tells me is that we need to make access to birth control and abortion easier.

when I was young I always thought role model stuff was silly,

and always was annoyed and thought it was overly paternalistic when my dad was harping on bad behavior of athletes I liked.

but it really seems like he was right and i was wrong. Boys really do seem to be more influenced by male role models. and he was right to scrutinize their behavior.

Folks need to stop having kids if they can’t raise them then

the behavior of non parental male role models really does seem to impact the next generation.

so it is your right to just ignore that and behave in an anti social way.

but when you behave antisocially, people will criticize you for it.
I think that's fair and expected.

For what it's worth, even though I find his politics shallow and horrible today, I'm thankful I came up in the Jay-Z "business man" era at my most impressionable, because there was a nugget of wanting to emulate professionalism and becoming a respectable person of growth, versus the "crashout" youth culture of today.

Last edited:
If your kids were in 5th grade and had a coach that cursed during practice, would you (or your wife (their mother) have an issue with it?
Here’s another example - my wife an son went out to an early dinner last week. Small Japanese place by our house, where you can hear other customers easily if they’re being loud. They had the NLDS on TV.

A guy who was eating there loudly said the F-word in response to something said during the game. A woman who was there with a young kid politely asked him to keep his voice down. He immediately, loudly said **** again.

Nobody got hurt, but that’s just not a cool thing to do in my book. And I don’t think it should be hard to understand why.

Back
Top Bottom