The College Basketball Post

Is Nova one of the first Championship teams that doesn't seem to have a NBA First Round Draft Pick player on it's roster?
Yea if they don't have somebody jump into the 1st round they will be the first champion in a long while without one ...winning helps some players jump into the late 1st tho so who knows

Do any of you believe this is possibly "greatest championship game ever" or am I just personally surrounded by too many people who live in the moment? Serious.

One of the greatest in my lifetime, been following since 91. My mind is still blown away from last night.

I'd say that the game last night arguably had the best finish ever, but I don't know that I'd say that it was one of the greatest games throughout. If that's a fair distinction to make. There was a stretch in the second half when Carolina couldn't make a shot that was kind of dull. It wasn't like both teams were trading great shots and defensive plays all night. But the last five seconds were absolutely incredible.

Still heartbroken from that game :smh:. but it really was a great game, man. Easily the best finish for a title game I've ever seen. Feel bad for Brice and Paige. Crazy watching the growth from when they were freshmen. Sucks we had to be on the losing end though :x

Now we wait for the draft decisions. My guess is everybody stays but that's what I thought last year when Tokoto dipped. Assuming everyone stays and the class we got coming in we should still be a preseason Top 10 squad.

I'd say that the game last night arguably had the best finish ever, but I don't know that I'd say that it was one of the greatest games throughout. If that's a fair distinction to make. There was a stretch in the second half when Carolina couldn't make a shot that was kind of dull. It wasn't like both teams were trading great shots and defensive plays all night. But the last five seconds were absolutely incredible.
I agree.  People conflate "great ending" with a "great game".  

Still heartbroken from that game :smh:. but it really was a great game, man. Easily the best finish for a title game I've ever seen. Feel bad for Brice and Paige. Crazy watching the growth from when they were freshmen. Sucks we had to be on the losing end though :x

Now we wait for the draft decisions. My guess is everybody stays but that's what I thought last year when Tokoto dipped. Assuming everyone stays and the class we got coming in we should still be a preseason Top 10 squad.

A lot of development needed for us to make another deep tournament run. Jackson has to get stronger going to the basket and finishing, hicks should polish his post game and work on being in control and centered. I would like to see Kenny Williams get more play, he could turn into a volume shooter off the bench. I'm guessing the starters would look like berry, woods, Jackson, hicks and Meeks. If everyone who can stay, stays.

A lot of development needed for us to make another deep tournament run. Jackson has to get stronger going to the basket and finishing, hicks should polish his post game and work on being in control and centered. I would like to see Kenny Williams get more play, he could turn into a volume shooter off the bench. I'm guessing the starters would look like berry, woods, Jackson, hicks and Meeks. If everyone who can stay, stays.

Agreed 100%

I like the Jackson, Berry, Hicks core but more development definitely needs to happen.

Yep happens all the time. Regarding the MD dudes on Nova specifically, I don't think you can be too mad at the Terps...

- Jenkins was thought of as a mid-major recruit and chose Nova over Rutgers, Miami, and Xavier.
- Terps recruited Booth hard, but took Melo Trimble and Dion Wiley over him. Both were better recruits.
- Hart wasn't heavily recruited by anybody. Picked Nova over Penn State and Rutgers.
- Ochefu was targeted by MD but they already had Shaq Cleare committed, who at the time was a better prospect than Ochefu.
A mid major recruit but he's recruited by an acc school and two big east schools? I know Xavier wanted him badly. Jay wright has been talking all week about looking at fit and not recruiting rankings. Maryland just ****** up evaluating thee guys. It happens. Besides the fact that even if Maryland wanted them that's no gurantee they wanted Maryland.

Last edited:
Yep, you called it right lol. Bad calls/no calls have been pretty consistent the entire tourney, but what really had me heated was UNC's choice not to take advantage of those mismatches on so many possessions. They could've gotten their guards in major foul trouble. Nova hit so many tough shots that I lost count. Once that last shot went in, I turned off the tv, flung remotes off the table, and said absolutely nothing for the rest of the night lol.

They tried, but whenever they lobbed the ball over the top that back side gaurd was crashing hard and the refs were letting Nova be so physical with the big guys that entry passes were really tough.

If these guys are smart they'll all stay. Berry, Meeks, and Jackson would be second rounders at best if they came out. If they ball out next year Meeks and Berry could make themselves first rounders and I honestly think Jackson could be a lottery pick if continues to improve.

I agree.  People conflate "great ending" with a "great game".  

Even in those dull moments when they couldn't score, Nova was making a comeback hitting some huge shots.

Then UNC goes on a run to comeback back from a 10 point deficit.

This game had EVERYTHING, from start to finish. Yes there were a few questionable and ticky tack calls made, but other this game was flat out incredible.

And this is coming from somebody who was in the building when Chalmers hit the shot in 2008 :lol: .. didn't think anything would top that but last night was unreal.

Last edited:
[quote name="lawdog1"]I'd say that the game last night arguably had the best finish ever, but I don't know that I'd say that it was one of the greatest games throughout.[/quote] I think that's a completely Fair distinction. The game ended on two 3s. Paige's 3 to tie it was completely unorthodox, whereas the 3 to win it was a set play and the shooter got a good look and spotted up and drilled it. You had a crazy 3 that went in, and a textbook 3 that went in. I still can't even...

Ochefu went to school in PA and I think even his family moved there during that time, I would not have ever considered him to be a kid from MD.

Jenkins looked more like the NFL player Kris Jenkins in HS.

Hart was the big whiff by Georgetown in particular. He was ready to commit and they took Stephen Domingo instead. :lol:

Almost everyone wanted Booth.

It's basically been said that Jay Wright and that program were trying to move away from the prima donnas and credit to them for finding the right mix and development but it's kind of been the perfect storm. Not sure any of those kids on their own aside from Hart are a huge miss. Jenkins fits 'Nova perfectly, not going to happen elsewhere.

My favorite Nova team was still that 4 guard lineup with Foye, Lowry, Ray and Nardi.  That team imo was better than this 1 and I think if they had ran into anyone besides that Florida team that year they would've won the title

My favorite Nova team was still that 4 guard lineup with Foye, Lowry, Ray and Nardi.  That team imo was better than this 1 and I think if they had ran into anyone besides that Florida team that year they would've won the title
Loved that Nova team. They split their matchups, but I still think UConn was a better team than Nova that year....

Gotta agree on that being a great GAME as opposed to just simply being a great ending. As others have said, it had a bit of everything. Cameos from the GOAT and other alums included. :lol:

No matter how you slice it, it still will forever be ranked among the best of all time. Whether you want to give it that distinction for just the shot or for the entire game.

Anyway, I'm really just here to say that I honestly think the Cuse women have more than a fighting chance to pull a crazy upset tonight.

Was it that Marcus Williams led UCONN team? Loved that squad man and thought he'd be a beast in the league

Back
Top Bottom