The College Basketball Post

Pac 10 win #2...and could easily be 3.

that's a hell of a win after all Robinson had goin on this week.

pimp.gif
..slowly but surely...

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Fire Norm, that is all.

Yea, but I feel this job has really just became one that no high profile coach wants, even though it is in such a desirable location and they play in thebiggest arena in the world.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Fire Norm, that is all.

Yea, but I feel this job has really just became one that no high profile coach wants, even though it is in such a desirable location and they play in the biggest arena in the world.
Lies. Cal, Pitino and a couple of others would take the coach if they were granted the freedom and given enough money. It's just theadministration won't make any of that possible.

I just got back and all I have to say is
alien.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
And I wouldn't be surprised if another player was forced out. Btw looks like DJ might be sitting out on Saturday with a suspension. And ifthat's the case, there's no shot we beat Rutgers since Malik, Robbie, and Phil are still hurt. Might see the walk ons getting some burn early on togive Paris a blow, which he desperately needed down the stretch.

My main beef with this game was that down the stretch instead of dumping the ball into a hot Justin Burell (who would have thoguht he would actually show up)we have Sean Evans taking mid range jumpers or driving the ball to the hoop for a virtual turnover.

I really wish we made the move last year and brought in Keno Davis, I love the way he coaches. Whoever comes in next year needs to keep Oz Cross and KimaniYoung on board because they have/will deliver(ed) on bringing in talented players (Omari Lawrence, Dwight Hardy, Jayvaughn Pinkston
nerd.gif
)

Don't necessarily need a high profile guy.

I think you need a young, smart coach who has the energy...because it is a big project at this point.

Honestly Allen, look at where we are now with the last approach they took. The only way I take a young coach is if he has been in the tournament. What'sthe situation with Siena's coach? I don't follow them too much, but could you see him making his way up to the Big East?

I hear what you're saying. Either way..it has to be the right choice this time around. 2 consecutive bad hires can kill a program.

MccAffrey I'm pretty sure would take interest in a Big East job..no direct NYC ties, but is a Philly guy.

He's now taken 3 teams to the tournament, was an assistant at ND. He'd be a decent candidate.

...going the younger route....Binghamton's coach Kevin Broadus....he's gona be a good pull for a BCS program...he WILL get players, period.

Idk I could see a certain lesser player being forced out. Try to keep it name free though, nothing worse than transfer rumors. Ironic I say that after makingthis post
laugh.gif
I shoulda never brought it up to begin with.

Edit: Broadus sounds interesting, he'll come cheap which is everything the adminsitration wants
laugh.gif
tired.gif

You're acting like son actually reads NT.

And it was a pathetic game to say the least, SMH @ the crowd chanting 'We Want Lance' when we were up by 10, next thing you know Deonta Vaughn takesthe life out of the crowd.

I don't even think Lance was there tonight either
laugh.gif

Paris was doing a good job on Deonta until he ran out of gas. After DJ went out it was too much work for Paris to be the number 1 guy on both ends.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Fire Norm, that is all.

Yea, but I feel this job has really just became one that no high profile coach wants, even though it is in such a desirable location and they play in the biggest arena in the world.
Lies. Cal, Pitino and a couple of others would take the coach if they were granted the freedom and given enough money. It's just the administration won't make any of that possible.

I just got back and all I have to say is
alien.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
And I wouldn't be surprised if another player was forced out. Btw looks like DJ might be sitting out on Saturday with a suspension. And if that's the case, there's no shot we beat Rutgers since Malik, Robbie, and Phil are still hurt. Might see the walk ons getting some burn early on to give Paris a blow, which he desperately needed down the stretch.

My main beef with this game was that down the stretch instead of dumping the ball into a hot Justin Burell (who would have thoguht he would actually show up) we have Sean Evans taking mid range jumpers or driving the ball to the hoop for a virtual turnover.

I really wish we made the move last year and brought in Keno Davis, I love the way he coaches. Whoever comes in next year needs to keep Oz Cross and Kimani Young on board because they have/will deliver(ed) on bringing in talented players (Omari Lawrence, Dwight Hardy, Jayvaughn Pinkston
nerd.gif
)

I could see Cal taking over, but Pitino?
smh.gif
your crazy if you think that. He has the perfect set up in Louisville. Recruiting going the way he wants it, theteams in the top 10, the new arena will be done after next season, he is grooming his son to one day possibly be the head coach at UL, his wife lovesLouisville, he owns horses and loves going to Churchill Downs. You can go on and on about why Pitino loves it here in Louisville, KY. He will retire here.There is no doubt about that.

capt.38a3490d207c4168b7e3a04eac03956b.purdue_minnesota_basketball_mnjm104.jpg

capt.e5de91d85c18479aae183bd436acddca.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn103.jpg

capt.be2d01a9e8f94389ac8f5783342172f2.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn102.jpg

capt.aa3bc308651e40768bcfec8704487f44.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn101.jpg

capt.168269c14a294785a148c5ef08097514.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn110.jpg

capt.aeebc74ddcc0427b87f2f3fbf8993f32.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn107.jpg

capt.07301813fc294b51b8c23e7df797d89a.st_marys_san_diego_basketball_cadp101.jpg

Portland Trailbalzer's Brandon Roy answers questions about the retiring of his Washington jersey before an NCAA college basketball game in Seattle
capt.3e72f8b4e5a441fd943a4793f66d42f8.roys_return_basketball_wakc101.jpg

capt.77a5707bcdfa45659454b187e1e1ee82.roys_return_basketball_wakc106.jpg

capt.3eac47c33a8a4b778e1eb86c9b5c4ded.purdue_minnesota_basketball_mnjm107.jpg

capt.c074dfb22eb048c4bec0008aa50512d6.gonzaga_pepperdine_basketball_cabk104.jpg

capt.3bef03bb85634e3db51a8c48602f91b9.ucla_washington_st_basketball_wadh106.jpg

capt.0bde55dd9acb46e59148ee29c61b5fef.usc_washington_basketball_wakc103.jpg

capt.5c2963255853414cb40b239c97156d4c.gonzaga_pepperdine_basketball_cabk107.jpg

capt.3e38b4511f2d4d3ca2523889e5e86dfb.correction_usc_washington___wakc111.jpg

capt.e2fdfaf9f6ac455c9772f867c4dc1534.correction_usc_washington___wakc110.jpg

capt.440d270fe3c54441bc14373e05421ff6.oregon_st_california_basketball_cams110.jpg

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Huggins always has his guys playing hard.

However, he in a windbreaker and Joe M. in a hoody..class all the way.

capt.4baffac8ef60491e9de4fac51460b0c7.wvirginia_georgetown_basketball_vzn108.jpg

Yeah, he definitely looked a bit out of place.

And before you ask t3b, there were no SJU pics.

Todd Bozeman = St. Johns?

Actually, I want him to replace Gary @ Maryland. He'd have the Terps back in NO TIME.

Bozeman at UMD would be a problem, hope that never happens..

...and Pitino can leave, maybe not for SJU...but you can't trust him to stay. He said the Providence job got his eye this off season.

nothin goin on tonight.

I honestly didn't anticipate writing about Bill Carmody and Northwestern once the season began. I know the Wildcats had Kevin Coble, but honestly, Ididn't give them much of a chance.

Well, I'm guessing no one in the Big Ten is overlooking Northwestern these days - not after they knocked off a pair of Top 25 teams - including MichiganState on the road - in the past week.

``Have we turned the corner?" Carmody said. "I'm not sure, but those were two good wins for us."

One major difference for Carmody has been Jeremy Nash at the top of the 1-3-1 zone.

``He's long and active and the guys really feed off him," Carmody said. "His energy is contagious."

Here's a key stat: Northwestern has turned the ball over 182 times this season, an average of about 11 per game. The Wildcats have forced 258 turnovers -more than 16 per contest.

Michigan State turned it over 18 times and Minnesota had 19 turnovers.

Another change is the addition of size up front, which has meant that the 6-foot-8, 210-pound Coble hasn't felt as though he needed to get every rebound.

Carmody plays three freshmen big men - John Shurna, Luka Mirkovic andKyle Rowley - anywhere from 13 to 18 minutes per game apiece.

``Coble shouldn't be our leading rebounder, but he has been for the past two years," Carmody said. "We didn't have the bulk and size, but nowwe do."

MOUNTAINEERS GAIN RARE ROAD WIN

Big East road wins - especially against the upper-echelon of the league - are a rarity.

Georgetown went to UConn and got one, ditto for Pittsburgh at Georgetown - and Louisville went on the road and knocked off Villanova.

``We needed this one," West Virginia coach Bob Huggins said after his Mountaineers got a road win at Georgetown.

West Virginia is 14-4 - with all four losses coming to probable NCAA tournament teams (Kentucky, Davidson, Marquette and UConn). Huggins has done it with threefreshmen in his top seven - and without point guard Joe Mazzulla for the past 11 games.

``They're going to look at him again in two weeks," Huggins said of Mazzulla, who has been out with a back injury.

But Huggins didn't sound optimistic.

Despite not having a legitimate big man, West Virginia is outrebounding their opponents by nearly seven boards per game.

``We rebound and guard the ball," Huggins said.

CROSS HAS UT ARLINGTON ON ROLL

UT Arlington coach Scott Cross called the win over Stephen F. Austin earlier in the week the "best all-around performance of theseason."

The Mavericks are 3-1 in Southland play and in first place in the East division (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is 4-0 in the West).

``I just hope we continue to defend the way we have the last couple of games," Cross said.

Cross has decided to go with a more traditional starting lineup that includes pure point guard Jeremy Smith and big man Trey Parker and he's usedRoge'r Guignard and Tommy Moffitt off the bench.

``They both like that role - as a spark off the bench," Cross said.

It's worked. In the seven games he changed things up, the Mavericks are 6-1.

Cross has three guards in double-figures - BC transfer Marquez Haynes (15.
glasses.gif
, Brandon Long (15.4) and Guignard (12.2). Senior Big man Anthony Vareen leads theteam in scoring at 16.5 points and is also averaging 6.5 rebounds.

Cross admitted that this upcoming four-game stretch in which the team will face Sam Houston State, Corpus Christi and Northwestern State on the road will becrucial.

RANDOM NOTES: Former UTEP forward Manuel Cass has enrolled at Kent State this semester, will pay his own way and be eligible for the GoldenFlashes a year from now. … Marshall senior Markel Humphrey hit a 75-footer the other night as time expired to beat SMU. ``We were all happy to win, but how wewon and with the person who won it and everything Markel's been through," Marshall coach Donnie Jones said. "It was special." Humphrey hasbattled through one injury after another since last season and won't be 100 percent for the rest of the season due to a stress fracture. ``He's goingto play through it," Jones said. … Dayton is 7-0 this season in games decided by five points or less.

You might think these should be days of unfettered glee in the great state of Arizona, what with the Cardinals bound for the Super Bowl and all. But as your interim 'Bag man dips into this week's mail, he discovers some grains of discontent in the desert sand. And it's not just because uber jerk Anquan Boldin is going to the Super Bowl, too, though that is a travesty of epic proportions. It's because of the state of Arizona basketball.

Arizona State may be off to its best start in eons, but fans of the Arizona Wildcats, who followed a pretty good nonconference season with a 2-4 start in Pac-10 play, are greatly unsettled. Besides being confronted by the specter of possibly missing out on the NCAA tournament for the first time in 24 years (the longest active streak in the country), the school is also facing the task of replacing Lute Olson at a time when the program is going to be emptied of its talent with no recruits on their way. (The Wildcats' two best players, junior forwards Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill, are likely to be turn pro after this season, and all of the high school seniors who committed to Olson signed elsewhere after he retired.) When they envision their immediate future, Arizona fans steal a glance to what's happening at Indiana right now, and it is not a pretty sight.

Here's a sampling of the desert distress that landed in my inbox this week:

How does Jamelle Horne foul in a tie game for the second time this season? What on earth is going on in the Arizona huddle?
-- Chari Bayan, Syracuse, N.Y.

What are the chances the Arizona Wildcats can lure a top coach (i.e. Dixon, Few, Pitino) to take over the basketball program?
-- Greg Wise, Chandler, Ariz.

Seth, UofA alumni such as myself are very concerned about the deterioration of Wildcat basketball over the last three years, now capped with Lute's abrupt retirement. Now we are facing widespread recruiting defections. What are the chances we hire an "A" coach and get the ship righted? I will be honest when I say most of us believe our NCAA tourney streak is done this year and deservedly so.
-- Doug Latimer, Pasadena, Calif.

I touched on the play Horne made in yesterday's Hoop Thoughts, but for those who didn't read the column this week (shame on you), I'll recap: With Arizona's game at USC last Saturday tied at 64 with 1.2 seconds left, Horne, a 6-foot-6 sophomore forward, inexplicably fouled USC point guard Daniel Hackett near half court. That allowed Hackett to go to the free-throw line and hand the Wildcats a crushing 65-64 defeat. Remarkably, Horne is the same player who fouled UAB guard Paul Delaney at the buzzer when the score was tied back on Nov. 18, which led to a one-point defeat. In this case, it did not appear that Horne intentionally fouled Hackett, but rather that he just lost control of himself as he was trying to play defense. Either way, it was inexcusable.

It is easy to blame interim coach Russ Pennell for the foul-ups, but I still contend it is also the responsibility of the players to know basic things like time and score. Maybe I feel a sense of fellowship with Pennell because I know how hard it is to work under an interim tag on the Mailbag until Grant Wahl returns from his sabbatical. The fact is, Pennell was placed in a very difficult situation that I frankly don't believe he was prepared for, and he has managed about as well as could be expected. To be honest, I still don't understand why Olson's top assistant, Mike Dunlap, turned down the interim job in the first place -- especially since he also agreed to remain as an assistant to Pennell. That made absolutely no sense.

As for the next coach in Tucson, Greg has thrown out some pretty good names, but out of those three, only Few strikes me as realistic. I really believe Louisville will be Rick Pitino's last coaching job. He has moved around too many times in his life, he has plenty of money, and he has a good quality of life that includes living next to the family of his late brother-in-law Billy Minardi. Jamie Dixon is an understandably popular choice, and I would imagine if Arizona could hire him they'd do it lickety split. But even though Dixon is from California and his wife is from Hawaii, he is in a great situation at Pittsburgh, where he has built phenomenal recruiting inroads into New York, New Jersey and Washington, D.C. Also, when Arizona State tried to hire him two years ago, Dixon renegotiated his contract with Pittsburgh, and I'm told his buyout is extremely expensive.

We're still two months away from Arizona's search kicking into high gear, but besides Mark Few and Dixon, the names I'm hearing come up most often are Reggie Theus, Lon Kruger and Tubby Smith. And here's a pair of sleepers for you I just heard this week: Oliver Purnell and Frank Haith. So stay tuned, Arizona fans, and don't lose hope. In the meantime, enjoy the Super Bowl, even if Boldin plays in it.

On to the rest of the 'Bag ...

With this proposed change in the date for collegians to declare for the draft, does that mean that if someone suffers an unfortunate injury during the workouts a la Brandon Rush from two summers ago, they would not be able to return to school? Ridiculous.
-- Ajay Pillai, Cleveland

Ajay, I'm going to call you from now on before I write my columns, because you bring up a better point than any of the ones I made this week. To answer your question, yes, if the NCAA passes this new early deadline rule and a player injures himself during a camp or workouts, then it would technically be too late for him to return the school. And you know what would happen next, right? The player would appeal to the NCAA to get a waiver so he could come back to school. And if the NCAA turned him down, the coach would rail against the unfairness of the new rule. I mean, it's all about the kids, right?

As a Penn State alum, football is obviously my first love. But I have always craved some legit college hoops in Happy Valley. Do you like what you see from Ed DeChellis so far? I'm really pulling for the guy and he seems to be bringing in better recruits like Talor Battle. But I would have really preferred if PSU had brought in a bigger name (like Tubby Smith) instead of staying in house.
-- Poorya Nayerahmadi, Philadelphia, Pa.

It is ironic that like many Penn State basketball fans (they do exist, right?), Poorya is expressing excitement about what his Nittany Lions are pulling off while wondering why they couldn't have hired a "name" coach. Well, the reality is, there aren't too man "name" coaches who are dying to get to Happy Valley. The school has never shown a deep commitment to basketball, a commitment that usually starts with a willingness to pay big money. I would say to Poorya that it is more important to get a coach who can win than one with a recognizable "name." There are a lot of very good coaches out there who didn't have a big name when they were first hired. (Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Izzo and Jamie Dixon come to mind.)

As for DeChellis, it's no secret that he needed this team to have a good year, and so far they've delivered ... sort of. They were not able to finish off that exciting comeback against Michigan State last week, but they were able to knock off Michigan at home on Tuesday night. With a win at Georgia Tech and another at home against Purdue, at least Penn State fans know they have a chance to win just about any game they play. Talor Battle and Stanley Pringle form a dynamic backcourt. I like teams that play fast, so this team is fun to watch even when they don't win. But of course, they need to win, too.

Here are a pair of NBA-related questions from fans of Big East teams:

Jeff Adrien is the current career double double leader in the Big East and the emotional leader of the UConn Huskies. Jim Calhoun has said he is their "only true muscle." What do you think of his chances of playing in the NBA and what kind of player do you see him being?
-- Nick Kornitzer, Storrs, Conn.

I was wondering if you see any of the current Syracuse players turning pro after this year. I would think [Jonny] Flynn and Arinze [Onuaku] when he starts getting more attention would be the only ones with a chance to get drafted.
-- Jared Arfa, Syracuse, N.Y.

Of the three players mentioned above, Flynn is clearly the one most likely to have an impact as an NBA player. In fact, right now I'd say Flynn is the second-best point guard in the country behind Wake Forest's Jeff Teague. (I'm not counting Stephen Curry as a point guard; he's a scoring guard playing the point, and quite ably I might add.) I realize Flynn is only 6-feet, but he still gets way above the rim, he's wicked fast on the break, and he has one of the best personalities I've come across in many years. (No small asset at his position.)

As for Onuaku and Adrien, they are similar players who need to be in the right situation if they're going to make an NBA roster. Both guys are strong and tough, so I think they'll have a chance to play in the league. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Onuaku because he's three inches taller. He doesn't have the shooting range Adrien has, but I imagine he'd be a more effective scorer around the rim at the next level.

Anytime I throw together a haphazard list, I know I'll get bombarded with hey-you-forgot e-mails. Such was the case after I listed my top 10 inside-outside combos in the country in last week's 'Bag.

When you ranked your top inside-out duos, how could you leave off Kalin Lucas and Goran Suton from Michigan State? Yeah, Suton is coming off of an injury, but since he has been back he has played very well. Kalin Lucas is arguably the second best point guard in the country.
-- Michael Hayese, Ypsilanti, Mich.

How can you leave [Arizona's] Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill off your list of best inside-out tandems? How about at least a shout out? Maybe [rank them] 10a?
-- Jonathan Friedman, Los Angeles

Speaking of Jeff Teague, why no mention of him in your top 10 inside-outside duos? Did you see James Johnson's alley-oop finish [against North Carolina]? Aminu is pretty impressive and Chas McFarland can score on anybody in the country.
-- Tucker, Westfield, N.C.

I like the inside-outside duos list and I have to say that you should keep an eye on Tulsa's Ben Uzoh and Jerome Jordan for next year. In case you were wondering, losing in the last second to Memphis was one of the worst things I've experienced since moving to Tulsa.
-- Stephen Williams, Tulsa, OK

Of these four nominations, I think the Lucas-Suton is the strongest. I already called Jonny Flynn my second-best point guard (are we all agreeing that Teague is the best?), but Lucas, who is second in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio, definitely belongs in the conversation. But when you start looking at the post players I had on my list, you can see why I couldn't include Suton in there. Consider that Georgetown's Greg Monroe was in the No. 10 pairing alongside Chris Wright.

As for Arizona, I consider Budinger a small forward, so the natural pairing with Hill would have been Nic Wise. That didn't cut it. Tucker's e-mail underscores the trouble I had including Wake. Whom do you pair with Teague? I don't consider Johnson an "inside player" (freak that he is), and while McFarland might someday be worthy of being mentioned as a top 10 post man, I'm not quite ready to stick that label on him. And I agree with Stephen that Uzoh-Jordan is a terrific combo to keep an eye on for the future. The only question is whether Jordan turns pro after this season. I would strongly advise he come back to school because he's still very raw, but some mock drafts rate him as a first-round pick (for what that's worth). That's an option he'll have to take a look at after the season is over.

What has happened to the University of Texas half-court O?
-- Christopher Smith, Rowlett, Texas

Nothing that hasn't been predicted in this space numerous times. A team's half-court offense is only as good as its point guard, and Texas simply does not have a serviceable player at that position. Rick Barnes has rotated four different guys (A.J. Abrams, Justin Mason, Dogus Balbay and freshman Varez Ward), but none has stuck. Abrams is a great scorer, but as teams have learned how to game plan him he's been less effective. During Abrams' last seven games, he has made just 30 out of 103 attempts from the field (29.1 percent). That's not because he forgot how to shoot, it's because he's just taking tougher shots as a result of not having someone who can deliver him the ball. And in that seven-game stretch, if you take away the blowout win over Appalachian State, Abrams has played all but seven minutes. It's hard to shoot on tired legs.

What a mess at DePaul. Do you think the glory days of coach Ray [Meyer] can ever return if they hire someone that can coach?
-- Rob, Chicago

Indeed, with the Blue Demons falling to 0-6 in the Big East with their loss at South Florida on Tuesday night, it seems increasingly likely that this will be fourth-year coach Jerry Wainwright's final season at DePaul. That's a shame, because not only is Wainwright a great coach, as he demonstrated during his previous stints at Richmond and UNC-Wilmington, but he is also one of the funniest, most delightful people you'll ever meet.

As for where the program would go from there, I find it amusing to see Rob refer to the "glory days" of Ray Meyer. No doubt the late coach Ray was one of the true legends of the game, but I got a little more familiar with his program while researching my soon-to-be-released book about the 1979 NCAA championship game. (See how nicely I work in a shameless plug?) Heading into the Final Four that year, the only storyline that was built up as much as a potential meeting between Larry Bird and Magic Johnson was the fact that Meyer had finally taken DePaul back to the Final Four for the first time since 1943, when George Mikan was his center. Think about it, the guy took 36 years to get back to the Final Four -- and he never got back there again. Yet, people in Chicago still refer to his tenure there as the "glory days."

The hard truth is, DePaul has many of the same problems that St. John's has -- no campus, lousy facilities, no recent winning tradition. And if you think the AAU scene in New York is convoluted and corrupt, Chicago is even worse. I'm not saying DePaul can't be a winning program, but Wainwright or no Wainwright, it's hard to foresee any glory days in the near future.

Existential question of the week: If a freshman (Sylvan Landesberg) is tearing it up on a mediocre team (Virginia), does he get any pub? Seriously, this kid has outshone (Wake Forest forward Al Farouq) Aminu and nobody talks about it. I know he's not on a great team, but he's been lighting it up.
-- Ben Allaire, Raleigh, N.C.

Well, it's not going to be hard to get me to give some pub to Landesberg considering he's half-MOT (member of the tribe). Yes, he's been terrific (17.3 ppg), but Virginia has been so horrible (1-3 in the ACC) that it's going to be hard for Landesberg to get noticed. I can tell you that St. John's fans have certainly been paying attention to Landesberg's stats. The kid was leaning strongly toward playing for St. John's until deciding on the Cavs. Oh, and if Aminu was playing on a bad team, I'm sure his individual stats would be much gaudier than they are now. But the point is to win games, right?

The final e-mail comes in the form of some unsettling news delivered by Sean from Annapolis in response to my assertion that even though the Maryland Terrapins are having an off year, fans can still take pride that their state still serves up great crabs. Buzzkill Sean, however, had to pass along this story describing how pollution is contributing to the decline of the Chesapeake Bay's blue crab population. Major bummer! Thank goodness for the Ravens, the Hoyas, Michael Phelps and Barry Levinson movies, because between the Terps, the ********, the Wizards, the Orioles and the crabs, this is not a very good time to be a hungry sports fan in my native land, the Maryland/D.C. area.

See ya next week 'Baggers.

Seth Davis' book, When March Went Mad: Magic, Bird and the Game That Transformed Basketball, will be published by Times Books in March, 2009. Click here to preorder a copy.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

CROSS HAS UT ARLINGTON ON ROLL

UT Arlington coach Scott Cross called the win over Stephen F. Austin earlier in the week the "best all-around performance of the season."

The Mavericks are 3-1 in Southland play and in first place in the East division (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is 4-0 in the West).

``I just hope we continue to defend the way we have the last couple of games," Cross said.

Cross has decided to go with a more traditional starting lineup that includes pure point guard Jeremy Smith and big man Trey Parker and he's used Roge'r Guignard and Tommy Moffitt off the bench.

``They both like that role - as a spark off the bench," Cross said.

It's worked. In the seven games he changed things up, the Mavericks are 6-1.

Cross has three guards in double-figures - BC transfer Marquez Haynes (15.
glasses.gif
, Brandon Long (15.4) and Guignard (12.2). Senior Big man Anthony Vareen leads the team in scoring at 16.5 points and is also averaging 6.5 rebounds.

Cross admitted that this upcoming four-game stretch in which the team will face Sam Houston State, Corpus Christi and Northwestern State on the road will be crucial.
pimp.gif

I can't wait until they get that new stadium...I'd try to go watch them play more, but it's just so hard to go and watch them play on a stage (no,seriously, they really play on a stage...).

DaComeUp, just so you know...it's a rap for yall come Thursday
happy.gif

wink.gif
I figured that we'd take that game from you even if it was on the road. A game that we're supposed to win IMO.

G'Town at home next Wednesday
nerd.gif
. I wish G'Town wasn't coming off on a loss, or I would feel more confident about this game. We're both youngteams, but they undoubtedly have more talent than us. Winning on the road is still rough though but I expect them to win. Hopefully, they prove me wrongthough.

I didn't realize that you had Gonzo on Sunday. Still don't see it as a win
laugh.gif

Btw, Adreian Payne should be announcing soon. My guess is Dayton or Pitt.

Back
Top Bottom