The College Basketball Post

I called it in this thread a couple weeks ago.

L'Ville over Pitt.

What yall thinking is going to happen tomorrow night? I will be in Freedom Hall cheering on my Cardinals. It should be an awesome game.
Originally Posted by tylerhundley

Dont worry everyone, let the media and everyone else drink their Pitt kool-aid for the next week or two, because when they come down to Louisville they will be leaving Freedom Hall with their first loss. (I can dream cant I?
laugh.gif
) nah but seriously, if UL plays like they should, they have the talent that Pitt does so it should be a good game.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

How 'bout the Golden Gophers? They remind me of that magical Final Four team led by Bobby Jackson. I wonder...

they are lookin pretty good. I have always thought Tubby was a hell of a coach. UK is dumb for running him out of town, now look where hes at, top 20 team, andhes on a campus that LOVES him. Looks like it worked out for Tubby.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

[h2]Lance Wants to Bring St. John's Back
Posted on Jan 15, 2009 11:52 pm[/h2]
NEW YORK -- Fresh off scoring 38 points in Lincoln's victory over Transit Tech Thursday night, Lance Stephenson arrived a little late for the UConn-St. John's game at Madison Square Garden.

But the 6-foot-5 senior guard liked what he saw.

"This was a good game," Stephenson said in a Garden hallway after the No. 4 Huskies downed the Johnnies, 67-55, behind 21 points from former Rice High School star Kemba Walker.

"They played against Connecticut. It was real tough. I think if I come here I could change that around. We would win that game."

Stephenson, the No. 1 senior in the nation according to the Hoop Scoop, did not commit during the fall signing period and will wait until the spring to announce his college choice.

"I'm just looking at it right now," Stephenson said of his college options. "I see a lot of games on TV. I've been watching UCLA, Kansas, St. John's and Memphis."

Asked if he was considering No. 1 Pitt, Stephenson said, "No, no, no." Pitt associate head coach Tom Herrion attended a recent Lincoln game.

As Stephenson stood outside the St. John's locker room and was greeted by various people, he sure sounded like he was thinking seriously about playing for the Red Storm.

"I think if I come here I could bring New York back, that would be a good look for me and St. John's," Stephenson said. "I love playing in the Garden, the bright lights, the fire comes out of me so I'm ready for all challenges."

Still, he's keeping his options open.

"It's wherever is best for my family," Stephenson said. "We're just going to work it out after the season and see what we can do. After the season ends, I'm going to decide."

Stephenson could well be a one-and-done before heading to the NBA.

"Right now I'm focused on my team and college," Stephenson said. "And after that, hopefully the NBA."

Stephenson's first goal, however, is to lead the Railsplitters to their fourth straight PSAL championship at the Garden this March.

"That's very important," he said. "I would break history if I do that."
pray.jpg

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The NCAA voted Thursday to classify seventh-graders as "prospects" that can be recruited.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]In a related note, college coaches plan to start recruiting fifth-graders, ASAP.[/font]

God damn, talk about EARLY
laugh.gif

that mike davis cat is decent..he aint got nothin on my englewood boys calvin and stan tho
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tylerhundley

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

How 'bout the Golden Gophers? They remind me of that magical Final Four team led by Bobby Jackson. I wonder...

they are lookin pretty good. I have always thought Tubby was a hell of a coach. UK is dumb for running him out of town, now look where hes at, top 20 team, and hes on a campus that LOVES him. Looks like it worked out for Tubby.

Im a HUGE Tubby fan, but theres no denying that a shake up was needed....the style of play and 1 great recruiting class followed by 3 mediocre ones was gettingold....

Lance has already qualified for college and I'm willing to bet my name that he will be wearing Red next season. He's most likely just waiting to seehow the coaching situation works out. I think the only thing keeping him away from St. John's would be Norm being fired and McKillop hired.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Lance has already qualified for college and I'm willing to bet my name that he will be wearing Red next season. He's most likely just waiting to see how the coaching situation works out. I think the only thing keeping him away from St. John's would be Norm being fired and McKillop hired.
cooldude.jpg

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Do you ever have anything constructive to say?
Yeah I do but who would have thought that he'd make it past the clearinghouse. If you've been following Lance since he was supposed to goto Bishop Loughlin until now, you wouldn't know that it was possible. His father condoned much of his son's activity without doing a damn thing to keephim in check. If the NBA still allowed HS kids to enter the draft Lance could have easily ended up like Lenny Cooke
smh.gif
. He's just lucky he didn't havea bad All-Star game like Lenny had. Who knows where Lenny would be if LeBron didn't show him up that day.

Bron didn't make Lenny have a learning disability, not pass tests, and worry more about hanging out w/ DJ Clue than working at his craft.

laugh.gif
Clue! I remember seeing him at the McDonalds game at MSG. Madbirds was flocking to him. He was iced out and everything.

Since I haven't, explain what he has done. Crazy though, Bishop Loughlin is like 5 blocks up from me though lol

Bron didn't make Lenny have a learning disability, not pass tests, and worry more about hanging out w/ DJ Clue than working at his craft.

I'd be surprised if the guys pulled it off tomorrow...but Duke/G'Town has the chance to be a great, great game. 2 of the top 4 statistical teams, 2teams with the best SOS's facing off and even match ups across the board for the most part. After the Cuse win, playin with house money, should be a nicebuilding block.

Wake/Clemson also with a chance to be great.

Like to put faith in ASU, but not after the recent performances. Howland > Sendek.

Cuse should rebound. ND on the road, you know the story.

Providence has the chance to show they can hang around. Winnable game at home.

It's supposed to be cold almost everywhere in the nation this weekend and this is an especially good Saturday of basketball, so start the fire and/orturn up the heat, settle into your lounge chair and turn on the TV.

With the NFL conference championship games on Sunday, there's no reason not to gorge on college basketball Saturday. There are some big games in theACC, Big East and Pac-10, and there's even an ACC-Big East matchup.

Here's a look at this weekend's best games. We do this every Friday; every Tuesday, we give you an early peek at the best games during the comingweek.

This weekend's five to watch
[table][tr][td]
1109-DUKESINGLERA1_250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kyle Singler will be a handful for the Hoyas.[/td] [/tr][/table]Georgetown at Duke, Saturday, 1:30 p.m., CBS: The Hoyas and Blue Devils step out of conference for a key showdown. Duke (15-1) hasturned up the defensive pressure this season and hasn't allowed an opponent to score more than 67 points in seven consecutive games. In fact, the BlueDevils have allowed only one opponent to score more than 80 points this season. Sophomore forward Kyle Singler is playing at a high level, and sophomore guard Nolan Smith's move into the starting lineup has paid off on both ends of the court.Georgetown (12-3) has scored at least 82 points in each of its past two games and will put Duke's defensive prowess to the test. Georgetown, on average,gets outrebounded, while Duke is beating foes by almost 10 per game on the boards.
WakeForest at Clemson, Saturday, 3:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN FullCourt: Two of the nation's three unbeatens meet up. Clemson juniorforward Trevor Booker quietly is putting together an All-ACC-type season. Bookerleads the Tigers in scoring, rebounding and blocks (44 already). Clemson (16-0) has good depth and plays tough defense (the Tigers have five players with atleast 20 steals and foes are shooting just 39.7 percent from the floor). Wake sophomore guard Jeff Teague is playing lights-out ball. He is averaging 21.2 points and shooting 54.1percent from the floor and 55.0 percent from 3-point range. Wake likes to pound the ball inside, and in James Johnson, Chas McFarland and Al-Farouq Aminu they have three guys who are each averaging at least 10.9 points and6.7 rebounds. The Demon Deacons are underrated defensively, especially on the perimeter.

Arizona State at UCLA, Saturday, 3:45 p.m., CBS: This is the second of three tough road games in a row for Arizona State, which lost toUSC on Thursday and faces archrival Arizona on Wednesday. UCLA has won four Pac-10 games by an average of 15 points per game - and three of those were on theroad. The Bruins have won 15 in a row at home, and if Arizona State wants to stop that streak, it needs a big game from big man Jeff Pendergraph. Sun Devils guard James Harden was awful offensively Thursday - 0-for-8 from the field - and he obviouslymust play well, too. UCLA has a big depth advantage, and look for the Bruins to use two or three guys on Harden in an effort to wear him down. Arizona State isgoing to have trouble with UCLA point guard Darren Collison, who is playingextremely well (15.0 ppg, 5.2 apg, 56.9 field-goal percentage, 47.8 3-point field-goal percentage).

Pittsburgh at Louisville, Saturday, 6 p.m., ESPN: Top-ranked Pitt has the weekend from hell. First, they play against aLouisville team that seemingly has righted itself; then, the Panthers meet Syracuse. Louisville (12-3, 3-0 Big East) has won four in a row and has one of the nation's bestfrontcourts, but uneven guard play remains a concern. Pitt (16-0, 4-0) has a big-time duo up front in Sam Young and DeJuan Blair, and point guard Levance Fields has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.7-to-1. Pitt is outrebounding foesby almost 11 per game, thanks to Blair grabbing 13 per game.

Syracuse at Pittsburgh, Monday, 7 p.m., ESPN: Game 2 of the big weekend for Pitt. Syracuse (16-2, 4-1 Big East) hasNotre Dame onSaturday. How will the Orange big men handle Pitt's duo? It's vital for Syracuse that junior center Arinze Onuaku plays well. Syracuse is getting good production from its backcourt, andpoint guard Jonny Flynn also must play well if the Orange are to win. TheOrange have been somewhat sloppy with the ball (282 turnovers, 30 more than their opponents), and that can't happen against Pitt. The Panthers won by fiveat Syracuse in the teams' only meeting last season.

Others to keep an eye on
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
FLYNN250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jonny Flynn and Syracuse play host to Notre Dame.[/td] [/tr][/table]Notre Dame at Syracuse, Saturday, noon, ESPN: Notre Dame (12-4, 3-2 Big East) suffered both of its conference losses on the road. This is Game2 of a murderous five-game stretch for the Irish, who lost at Louisville on Monday and have Connecticut,Marquette andPittsburgh in a row after they play the Orange. Then again, the Orange are in the midst of a tough stretch, as well. Syracuse lost to Georgetown on Wednesdayand has Pitt and Louisville after this one.
Maryland at Florida State, Saturday, noon, ACC syndication/ESPN FullCourt: It's still early in the ACC season, but thisis a big one for both. For Maryland (12-4, 1-1 ACC), it's a chance to win on the road against a team that looks to be better than expected. For FSU (14-3,1-1), it's a chance to hold serve at home, which is a must if the 'Noles want to finish in the top half of the league.

Oklahoma State at Baylor, Saturday, 1:45 p.m., Big 12 syndication/ESPN FullCourt: Baylor (13-3, 1-1 Big 12) is coming off an11-point loss to TexasA&M. If the Bears want to be taken seriously as a Big 12 title contender, they need to win this one.

Arkansas at Florida, Saturday, 2 p.m., SEC syndication/ESPN FullCourt: Arkansas (12-3, 0-2 SEC) has been mystifying of late. TheHogs beat Oklahoma and Texas, then turned around and lost to Mississippi State and Ole Miss. This is a big game for the Rebels. Florida (15-2, 2-0) is one of just three SECschools without a league loss, but the Gators' frontcourt has played soft - which won't cut it against Arkansas.

Oklahoma at Texas A&M, Saturday, 2 p.m., ESPN: This should be one of the toughest road trips of the season forthe Sooners (16-1, 2-0 Big 12). Big men Bryan Davis and Chinemelu Elonu of A&M (15-2, 1-1) will have their hands full with Sooners starBlake Griffin.

BYU atNew Mexico,Saturday, 4 p.m., The mtn.: New Mexico (10-7, 1-1 Mountain West) is scuffling along, but a win over the Cougars (14-2, 2-0) - who are the only teamunbeaten in conference play - could right the ship.

Illinois at Michigan State, Saturday, 4 p.m., ESPN: Illinois (15-2, 3-1 Big Ten) has been one of the nation's biggest surprises andalready has won at Purdue. A victory in East Lansing over the Spartans (14-2, 4-0) would perhaps stamp the Illini as the team to beat in the Big Ten.

Dayton atDuquesne, Saturday, 7 p.m.: Duquesne (12-4) has been a pleasant surprise in the Atlantic 10, leading the league with a 3-0 record. Dayton is 15-2, butone of the losses came in its only A-10 road game, to a mediocre Massachusetts team.

OhioState at Michigan, Saturday, 8 p.m., Big Ten Network: Ohio State (12-3, 2-2 Big Ten) has lost both its conference road games.This starts a tough four-game stretch for the Buckeyes: at Michigan (13-4, 3-2), at Illinois, vs. Michigan State, vs.Michigan.

Arizonaat USC, Saturday, 8 p.m.,Fox Sports Net Prime Ticket/FSN Arizona: The Trojans got a big win Thursday by beating Arizona State, and they try to complete the Pac-10'sArizona sweep against the Wildcats. Arizona already has lost three league games and is in danger of falling out of the title hunt with another loss.

California atStanford,Saturday, 8 p.m., Comcast SportsNet Bay Area: New Cal coach Mike Montgomerymakes his first return to his old stomping grounds. To make things even hotter, both teams are playing well.

Vanderbilt at Mississippi State, Saturday, 8 p.m., Fox Sports Net South/Sun Sports, ESPN FullCourt: MississippiState (12-5, 2-0 SEC) is the only SEC West team without a league loss. Vandy (12-4, 1-1) has been a bit of a disappointment this season, and this is the firstgame in an important three-game stretch for the Commodores, who play host to Tennessee and Florida after this.

Miami at North Carolina, Saturday, 9 p.m., ESPN: North Carolina (15-2, 1-2 ACC) certainly hasn't started conferenceplay like most thought it would, but the Tar Heels still are supremely talented. What has to worry UNC coach Roy Williams is his team's lack of defensive intensity; that will hurt with guardJack McClinton and Miami (13-3, 2-1) coming to town.

Marquette at Providence, Saturday, 9 p.m., ESPN2: Providence (11-5) has been a surprise in the Big East (3-1 league record). If the Friarscan come away with a win over the Golden Eagles, the potential exists for a 6-1 start with Cincinnati (at home) and Seton Hall (on the road) up next. Marquette(15-2, 4-0) is coming off a 22-point rout of West Virginia, but plays five of its next seven on the road.

BoiseState at Utah State, Saturday, 9 p.m.: These are the only two WAC teams in the top 100 in the RPI. Utah State is off to a great start and appearswell on its way to a 10th consecutive 20-victory season. If Boise can win at Utah State, the Broncos will have served notice that they again are a legitcontender for the league crown.

Iowa atPurdue, Sunday, noon,Big Ten Network: Iowa (11-6) started hot but already has lost three Big Ten games. A loss to the mildly disappointing Boilermakers (13-4, 2-2) andit's time to make NIT plans for the Hawkeyes. Conversely, if Purdue loses at home to Iowa, the Boilers move from "mildly disappointing" to"what in the world is happening?"

Texas A&M at Kansas, Monday, 9 p.m., ESPN: This is the first game in a five-game stretch in which A&M plays three road games -against KU, Texas and Oklahoma. The Jayhawks, meanwhile, play five of seven on the road after this.

I'd be surprised if the guys pulled it off tomorrow...but Duke/G'Town has the chance to be a great, great game. 2 of the top 4 statistical teams, 2 teams with the best SOS's facing off and even match ups across the board for the most part. After the Cuse win, playin with house money, should be a nice building block.
I can't even say who 's gonna win that game. Should be a great game. And I wonder why no one is claming that BS about Duke having an easyschedule like people usually do.
nerd.gif

Nolan and Zoubek are gonna have to play some big minutes tomorrow and stay out of foul trouble. If I'm Coach K, I tell Zou to make Monroe that 10-15 footjumpshot before he starts to respect it.
Wake/Clemson also with a chance to be great.
Def. gonna be a good game w/ Teague and the boy K.C going at it. Definitely DVR'ing that joint before I go out tomorrow.
pimp.gif

I think being on the road, in that gym (
sick.gif
) is too much. but we'll see.

Dukies favored by 8.5

despite size, yall are a great offensive rebounding team, that's no good
ohwell.gif

If Zoubek tests Greg to shoot it, it'll probably be from 20ft away...against man he'll start out at the top instead of the elbow and look for backdoorsand go off UCLA cuts.

Seth Davis' Top 10 Inside-Out Duos.

1. Levance Fields-DaJuan Blair, Pittsburgh
2. Tywon Lawson-Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina
3. Jodie Meeks-Patrick Patterson, Kentucky
4. Willie Warren-Blake Griffin, Oklahoma
5. Manny Harris-Deshawn Sims, Michigan
6. Kyle McAlarney-Luke Harangody, Notre Dame
7. A.J. Price-Hasheem Thabeet, UConn
8. Sherron Collins-Cole Aldrich, Kansas
9. James Harden-Jeff Pendergraph, Arizona State
10. Chris Wright-Greg Monroe, Georgetown

Since I haven't, explain what he has done. Crazy though, Bishop Loughlin is like 5 blocks up from me though lol
It is indeed amazing considering neither Lance or Tiny care about education. Hopefully he doesn't fail off when he gets to school though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

It is indeed amazing considering neither Lance or Tiny care about education. Hopefully he doesn't fail off when he gets to school though.
laugh.gif
, He only needs to stay eligible for one semester. I think he can do that.

Swimming, Racquetball, Physical Education, General Studies, College Studies,

That'll be his courseload. He'll be ok.

I'd still like to see Lance go out to Kansas and just focus on basketball and get coached up.

Like to see him at SJU to get that program a pulse again, but don't know how much it can benefit him, on and off the court.

Dan Wolken of the Memphis Commercial Appeal reported on his blog that DeMarcus Cousins, the 6-foot-11 center from Mobile, Ala., "said emphatically that Memphis is the leader in his recruitment. His coach at LeFlore High School, Otis Hughley, confirmed that Memphis is leading on Cousins and said he felt the Tigers would be hard to beat at this point in time."

Originally Posted by dreClark

And I wonder why no one is claming that BS about Duke having an easy schedule like people usually do.
nerd.gif
That's because it's become common knowledge. People don't even have to mention it anymore
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

laugh.gif
, He only needs to stay eligible for one semester. I think he can do that.

Swimming, Racquetball, Physical Education, General Studies, College Studies,

That'll be his courseload. He'll be ok.
Not to be racist...but does anyone else see at least one F on that list?

Back
Top Bottom