The College Basketball Post

Kemba was a stud tonight, he will stay at least two years, the team is basically his next year. Not our best game, St. Johns came to play, great game by Horne.But I gotta say the refs were pretty clueless on both sides.

Sura, I couldn't find those shorts anywhere online...and none of my friends knew if they sell 'em in the bookstore.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Here they are again, undefeated and rolling in January, and yet the Clemson Tigers still seem relegated by most to "also-ran" status in the ACC. Howmuch of that has to do with Wake Forest, Duke and North Carolina as opposed to Clemson itself is tough to decipher. But there is no denying many remainskeptical of Oliver Purnell's team, just like always, despite those victories at Illinois and Miami suggesting this 16-0 start is no fluke.[/font]
[table][tr][td]
img11263520.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oliver Purnell has reason to smile with a 16-0 Tigers squad. (US Presswire)[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica]"We're not apologizing for being off to a good start," Purnell said by phone earlier this week."And we know there's fierce competition in this league. But at the same time we are confident we can stand up to all of it."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]We'll find out soon enough.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]There's a great matchup at Syracuse on Saturday, and ones at Duke and Louisville, too. But the Game of theWeekend -- the only pairing of top 10 teams -- will tip at 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday inside Littlejohn Coliseum on the campus of Clemson University, where the10th-ranked and undefeated Tigers will host the second-ranked and undefeated Wake Forest Demon Deacons.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Combined record: 31-0.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Chance of boredom: 0.00 percent.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"They are," Purnell answered when asked if the students are excited. "They're pumped up for thisgame."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Those of you who visit this space often know I believe in Purnell, think the "collapse" two seasons ago(from 17-0 to the NIT) was that close to being something different, and insistthe 24-10 record last season was the sign of a program turning the proverbial corner. Yeah, I realize, the Tigers lost to Villanova in the first round of theNCAA tournament, and that was never the plan. But Connecticut also lost in the first round, as did Arizona and Kentucky. And because those shortcomingsdidn't severely damage the perception of those particular programs, it seems silly that Clemson's 75-69 loss to Villanova moved observers to discountwhat the Tigers accomplished while again claiming the win total was empty below the surface, because it simply wasn't true.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Clemson beat Mississippi State, Purdue, Miami and Duke last season, giving it four wins against NCAA tournament teamsheading into Selection Sunday, which was more than Davidson had, by the way. Beyond that, three of the Tigers' losses were to North Carolina, and that twoof them came by fewer than six points and the other in double overtime shows how Clemson was on three different occasions in three different environmentscompetitive with an eventual Final Four team.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Still, most give the Tigers no chance to crack the top three of the ACC this season, and so the obvious question iswhy? Is it because the Tigers don't have five-star prospects like Wake Forest, UNC and Duke? Or is it because of their lack of tradition relative to WakeForest, UNC and Duke? Or is it because they simply aren't as good as Wake Forest, UNC and Duke?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The answer is probably a combination of all three factors, if not more. But three of Clemson's next five gamesare against Wake Forest (Saturday), UNC (Jan. 21) and Duke (Feb. 4), meaning -- like I said before -- we'll find out soon enough whether these Tigers areworthy of their top 10 ranking. And in the meantime don't expect Purnell to concede a top-three finish in the ACC, because he's not concerned withwhere history or experts suggest his Tigers will finish, and he's determined to use this weekend's opportunity to put the nation on notice.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"We're not going to follow some old script," Purnell said. "We're going to write our ownscript."[/font]

I'm a sort of a new Clemson fan (Girlfriend is a former student there, and from SC), and I think this team is for real. I think they have the talent tohang and a good coach also. This Saturday should be a great game, and if they can top Wake, then watch out, they might be able to turn more than a few heads.KC Rivers is a player.

laugh.gif
from my previous post, the game was over and done with. In the bag forMarist...I forget how much they were up..

I wana say like 12 with a minute and a half (at most) to go...Hasbrouck fouls out..

then, Marist musta missed like 10 FT's in that stretch....One of the greatest choke jobs I've seen, at home to boot.

Woulda made Memphis proud. Most comparable to the Duke/UMD game years back.

Siena now won in OT. 7-0.
pimp.gif

Stoneface to World's Gym for having the Nets game and CSI on instead of St. John's

I like Siena, hopefully they can get real hot and make a run in the tourney.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

OSU going for Pac 10 win #2?
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Time to see the garbage @@* Cats get stomped.

Also, thanks tmay for inquiring. I had a feeling I was SOL, but I'm so broke I don't need to waste money on those shorts anyway...

Chase needs to go get his Superspike V'Ball on. This dude just does not have the gonads for this game.

Originally Posted by hugebird

Also, thanks tmay for inquiring. I had a feeling I was SOL, but I'm so broke I don't need to waste money on those shorts anyway...
I'll keep an eye out and see what I can find out. If I find 'em, I'll let you know...maybe you'll have some money to spend bythen.

didn't see much of it but Floyd's junk defenses probably gave him trouble on top of just a bad game.

UCLA...just don't know yet.
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom