The College Basketball Post

SJU
tired.gif

I was gassed early on, back to reality.

I kinda feel bad for WVA. They got no height.

And this is Mullens.

Not Thabeet,Adrian, Robinson,Monroe,Onauku,etc.

But it Huggins. I am sure they'll figure something out. They just won't be able to seriously compete.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by allen3xis

wait, a 2 game suspension?? that's such a joke
laugh.gif

He really didn't get suspended. It was took him that much time to get his community service and get re-instated in school.
That 40 hour suspension was a joke. Its 80 hours for everyone else, it says so in the judicial handbook. Got suspended during Christmas Break
laugh.gif
at least he got to relax. Piece of trash.

Good game by West Virginia.

damn, slow day...i was gone all day and this post didn't even jump a page.

we played like crap (defensively)...

Pat with 27 and 14.

Meeks with 18.

and word is Matt Pilgrim was kicked outta practice yesterday...he wasn't at the game today, but BG said "yes" when asked if he was still with theteam and "yes" is all he said about it.

Ohio State?

Did anyone watch the Northwestern St. @ Arkansas game on ESPN2 tonight? If so, did you happen to catch the "ESPN Top Coaches Under 50" list? Thatlist was kinda bad...

-John Pelphrey - 40 - Arkansas
-Shawn Miller - 41 - Xavier
-Thad Matta - 41 - Ohio State
-Mark Few - 45 - Gonzaga
-Jay Wright - 46 - Villanova
-Jim Christian - 42 - TCU
-Brian Gregory - 41 - Dayton
-Gregg Marshall - 44 - Witchita State
-Randy Bennett - 44 - St. Mary's
-Jamie Dixon - 43 - PITT

No John Thompson (42)? No Bill Self (46)? No Billy Donovan (43)? No Billy Gillispie (49)?

Other coaches of note under 50 (I know I'm leaving some off...) - Scott Drew (38), Jeff Capel (33), Mark Turgeon (43), John Calipari (49), Tom Crean (42),Bruce Pearl (48), Paul Hewitt (45)

Seems like they could have made a better list...unless they were only trying to include coaches that could potentially at some point make the jump to a biggerprogram (which doesn't really make sense with Matta, Wright, and Dixon on there).

Sunday, December 28[table][tr][th=""]Game[/th] [th=""]Network[/th] [th=""]Coverage Notes[/th] [th=""]PPV?[/th] [th=""]Time[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Towson at Lafayette[/td] [td]
lsn.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]1pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E. Michigan at Illinois[/td] [td]
btn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]2pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]S. Illinois at Bradley[/td] [td]Mediacom-IL[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]2pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]N. Carolina A&T at Georgia[/td] [td]
css.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]2:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Montana at Washington[/td] [td]
fs-nw.jpg
[/td] [td]
fcs-p.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Louisiana Tech at UCLA[/td] [td]
fsn-r.jpg
[/td] [td]
fs-az.jpg
pt.jpg

fcs-c.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Drake at Evansville[/td] [td]
mvc.jpg
[/td] [td]
fs-mw.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SIU-Edwardsville at UMKC[/td] [td]
ms.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]3pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Cincinnati Christian at Liberty[/td] [td]
liberty.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]3pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Valparaiso at Purdue[/td] [td]
btn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]4pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Florida St. vs. W. Kentucky
(at Sunrise, FL)
[/td] [td]
fs-fl.jpg
[/td] [td]
csn-ma.jpg
ss.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]4pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Virginia at Georgia Tech[/td] [td]
fsn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td]FSN List[/td] [td] [/td] [td]5:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Richmond at UNC-Wilmington[/td] [td]
masn.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]5:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lipscomb at Indiana[/td] [td]
btn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]6pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Winthrop vs. Florida
(at Sunrise, FL)
[/td] [td]
fs-fl.jpg
[/td] [td]
ss.jpg
[/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]6:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rutgers at N. Carolina[/td] [td]
fsn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td]FSN List[/td] [td] [/td] [td]7:45pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]High Point at Minnesota[/td] [td]
espnu_hd.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sam Houston St. at Texas A&M[/td] [td]
fs-sw.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wichita St. at Creighton[/td] [td]
kmtv.jpg

Cox-Kansas
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Texas Tech at Stanford[/td] [td]
fsn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td]FSN List[/td] [td] [/td] [td]10pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Buffalo vs. Pepperdine
(at Honolulu, HI)
[/td] [td]
kfve.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]10pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado vs. Coppin St.
(at Honolulu, HI)
[/td] [td]
kfve.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]12:30am[/td] [/tr][/table]

i wonder what the criteria for that list was...

did you get to see Louisville? they looked aight...

got a big game from Fatty McGee

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

did you get to see Louisville? they looked aight...
Nah, I didn't really watch much of anything today...I didn't wake up until like 1, then went to my grandma's house to do yard work forlike 3 hours...

Gotta go back again tomorrow to finish up
smh.gif
Raked up 30 bags of leaves, and there's still half of the damn backyard to finish
laugh.gif

whewww...West Va looked good.

nothin goin on today really, tomorrow
pimp.gif

[h2]Looking for consistency in hoops? Try Huggs[/h2]
Sometimes Bob Huggins has big teams.

Other times his guys are small.

Sometimes he has great shooters.

Other times he has none.

And I guess that's the way it goes when you coach college basketball as long as Huggins has coached college basketball, when you've coached at five different places for nearly three decades. But the one thing you can always count on from a Huggins team -- almost regardless of its parts -- is that a Huggins team won't stink, and a national audience got a reminder of this Saturday when West Virginia trounced Ohio State 76-48.

No Joe Mazzula?

No problem.

A 6-foot-9 wing in the post?

No problem.

Those obvious flaws with his roster didn't stop Huggins from putting five guys on the court and completely dismantling the 15th-ranked Buckeyes, and that might be why he has produced 22 winning records in 23 seasons as a Division I head coach while winning at least 20 games in 20 of those years. So yeah, people can joke about the way his tenure at Cincinnati ended, about his record of questionable recruits, or about his teams' tendency to lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. But in terms of strictly winning and losing, how many coaches over the past 25 years have been as good and steady as Huggins has been?

Roy Williams?

Mike Krzyzewski and/or Jim Calhoun?

We can argue the length of the list and the names on it at a later date, if you want. But I assure you, the list is shorter than most think (Krzyzewski has four career losing seasons compared to Huggins' one, by the way), and this blowout win at Ohio State only highlighted the point in grand fashion, that when it comes to consistently winning college basketball games there aren't many better than the man coaching West Virginia.

Which player has disappointed most? [h1]Which player has disappointed most?[/h1]
Rivals.com Staff
At the College Basketball Roundtable each week, we ask each member of the coverage staff for his opinion about a current topic in the sport.
This week's question: Which player has disappointed you most this season?
[table][tr][td]
CONNORATCHLEY250_0212.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Connor Atchley's production for Texas has fallen off this season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Greg Anthony's answer: Louisville's
Edgar Sosa has been an enigma since his freshman year. I thought he wouldcontinue to grow and get better, but it's obvious he's struggling with his confidence. His lack of development is as much the problem with theCardinals' struggles as anything else. When you watch him, the focus and the intensity are not where they have to be for him to play to his potential.While players mature, their ability to make shots affects how they play the game. The problem for Sosa is he's a junior. His freshman season, Sosa averaged11 points and hit 41 percent of his shots - including 35 percent of his 3-point attempts. Those numbers have been trending down since. This year he'saveraging six points by hitting 31 percent of his shots and 22 percent of his 3-point attempts. On top of that he's turning the ball over more. It'sstill early in the season, but if Sosa's play doesn't improve I can't see Louisville getting to Detroit for the Final Four.
Mike Huguenin's answer: It's known that Texas' Connor Atchleyisn't a star but rather a complementary player. Still, it's hard to be complimentary about his play this season. Atchley was a nice surprise for theLonghorns last season, moving into the starting lineup and providing help on both ends. While he remains a starter, his production has fallen off in almostevery category. He's the Longhorns' sixth-leading scorer and has become almost an offensive afterthought. He's still a solid shot blocker, but hisoffense and his rebounding need to pick up if Texas is to reach its potential.

Jason King's answer: It's not as if he has been terrible, but Baylor forward Kevin Rogers hasn't come close to living up to my expectations this season - atleast not yet. There aren't many players in the country as battle-tested as Rogers, yet both his scoring (12.3 to 10.
glasses.gif
and rebounding (8.5 to 7.1)averages are down from last season. Rogers has also committed 25 turnovers - an average of 2.3 per game. Last season he had 53 in 32 games (1.7). Baylor hassome nice wins this season - Arizona State and Washington State come to mind - but, as always, the Bears are thin in the paint. For Baylor tomake a significant rise in the Big 12 standings, they'll need more out of their senior leader. Rogers was the gem of a recruiting class that also includedCurtis Jerrells and Henry Dugat. I still love Rogers' game and his potential. My guess is he'llfinish strong.

Steve Megargee's answer: Syracuse guard Eric Devendorf's scoring,rebounding and assist averages are down from the numbers he put up in each of the past two seasons as he comes back from a knee injury that shut him down after10 games in 2007-08. He has an equal number of assists and turnovers this season. Devendorf understandably needed time to shake off the rust after missing mostof last season, but the modest reduction in his stats isn't the reason I'm naming him the player who has disappointed me the most this season. I'mmore concerned about the reason Devendorf hasn't suited up for Syracuse's last couple of games. Devendorf was suspended for the rest of the fallsemester amid accusations that he hit a female student in the face during an off-campus dispute on Nov. 1, though he is practicing with the Orange now andcould play Tuesday against Seton Hall. He had to serve 40 hours of community service before returning to the team. A Syracuse University judicial boardoriginally recommended that Devendorf miss the rest of the season, but an appeals board decided on a reduced penalty. Let's hope Devendorf capitalizes onthis second chance by making amends on and off the court.

Talk about it in the Message Boards

Ibrahima Thomas to UC
It didn't take long for Ibrahima Thomas to find a new school.

According to a source close to Thomas, the former Oklahoma State big man will transfer to Cincinnati.

The 6-foot-11 sophomore averaged 8.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per game this season while playing 20.6 minutes, but he wasn't content with his role and the system employed by Cowboys new coach Travis Ford.

``He took a visit to Cincinnati this weekend and loved it," the source said.

pimp.gif
Big 12 heads know much about this dude? I know he is raw and very athletic. It sounds like he has some range on his shot though and definitely should helpdefensively.

I'm hearing we may have a huge commit sometime soon too
happy.gif

Man *@!* UNC. I'm trying to watch the A&M game on FSN, and all of sudden these douche bags take over the TV
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom