The College Basketball Post

Report a self violation and get to be only school in the gym. Not a bad trade off.

I'm sure he didn't know.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Hopefully Uconn stays in Man and Greg can pull Thabeet out.

Win or lose, just wana see how this team continues to develop and how it fares against a team that's a bad match up.

Have to shoot it well...and for those who haven't seen much of C.Wright this year, you're in for a treat.
Thats important. Thats what Gonzaga tried to do and it was working.

And yea I wanna see how your boy Wright handles those guards

I never understand the logic behind the NCAA coaching visiting rules
grin.gif

Memphis will probably take another L tonite

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Ibrahima Thomas to UC
It didn't take long for Ibrahima Thomas to find a new school.

According to a source close to Thomas, the former Oklahoma State big man will transfer to Cincinnati.

The 6-foot-11 sophomore averaged 8.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per game this season while playing 20.6 minutes, but he wasn't content with his role and the system employed by Cowboys new coach Travis Ford.

``He took a visit to Cincinnati this weekend and loved it," the source said.

pimp.gif
Big 12 heads know much about this dude? I know he is raw and very athletic. It sounds like he has some range on his shot though and definitely should help defensively.

I'm hearing we may have a huge commit sometime soon too
happy.gif
Life as a Bearcat fan gets better and better
pimp.gif

How you think they gon do tonight against Memphis?

I haven't seen a game since we lost to Michigan... I'ma have to go back through this and see what I missed...

Any big updates, minus the heave that beat cuse as Cam so graciously pointed out to me after it happened
smh.gif
laugh.gif
???

Temple's Fernandez, debuting against Villanova, conjures up memories of Sanchez

By MIKE KERN
Philadelphia Daily News
[email protected]

JUAN "PEPE" SANCHEZ with a jump shot.
That's how Davidson coach Bob McKillop described Juan Manuel Fernandez.

Pepe Sanchez without a jumper wasn't such a bad thing for Temple basketball.

Now, another 6-4 guard from Argentina has made his way to North Broad Street. Fernandez makes his Owls debut tonight against 18th-ranked Villanova at thePavilion. Welcome to Philadelphia. Good thing he had an entire weekend of practice to get ready.

"I heard something [about the Big 5], but I'm trying not to listen much," said Fernandez, who arrived on Friday. "So I can be relaxed in thegame."

How much he can help, and how quickly, will have to play itself out. But at some point, probably sooner than later, he figures to be more than just a part ofthe supporting cast.

Did we mention that he wears No. 4, just like Sanchez? But he wears it because so did his father, who played professionally back home.

"I was too young when [Sanchez] was playing for Temple," Fernandez said. "He's really recognized in our country, and everyone loves him.

"They love the way he plays. I've always looked up to him."

As a senior in 1999-2000, Sanchez was the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year and a third-team All-America, for a team that earned a two seed in the NCAATournament. Didn't matter that he averaged all of eight points a game. He controlled the game for former coach John Chaney, who was there to greet thenewest Owl at his first practice as only the Hall of Famer could.

"You know I had to beat Pepe up a few times when he got here," Chaney told Fernandez, who only smiled. "Don't make Franny [Dunphy] have todo that to you. Remember, no turnovers."

Sanchez, of course, took home a gold medal from the 2004 Olympics.

Fernandez was a big part of Argentina's Under-18 squad that also won gold in last summer's Tournament of the Americas in Formosa. In eight games, heaveraged 8.4 points in 17 minutes, to go with 3.0 assists and 1.4 steals. He made 10 of 14 from the arc and 15 of 16 at the foul line.

Fernandez saved his best for the final 77-64 win over the United States, which had only lost once before in that competition. He scored 16, in 31 minutes,hitting both his treys and all four free throws. His line also included four rebounds, three steals, two assists and even a block.

"I've heard so much about him, and watched so much on tape, and I know he has a feel for the game," said Dunphy, whose Owls (5-5) have lost twostraight, both on the road, since rolling then-No. 8 Tennessee at home on Dec. 13. "Our kids already appreciate that. They got to play some pickup ballwith him on his official visit."

Whatever the learning curve, Fernandez is just eager to get started.

"I had the option of going to Europe [and turn pro], but I liked the idea of [this]," he said. "My parents always wanted me to graduate insomething. So I like the combination.

"I spoke with [Pepe] only in e-mail, and I met him just once. It's not every day you get to talk to someone like him . . . I think I will never havethe defense that he had, or the intelligence. It's a good thing to be compared to him, because he's a very good player."

Some people will obviously see him as the second coming. Maybe simply being the first Juan Fernandez will be plenty.

"It will take time for me to adjust to everything, because it's a whole new life," he said. "I just came here to keep improving andlearning. I'm really excited about that. It's another culture. But I want to take the challenge.

"It's very different to the basketball we play. We have a 24-second shot clock, so I will try to adapt. I think I will.

"I will see what coach wants from me, for the team. Hopefully we can get to the NCAA Tournament, like they did last year. I think that would be veryimportant, since it's my first year."

The Wildcats (11-1) have beaten Temple three straight times. And they've won an incredible 17 of their last 18 Big 5 games. They haven't lost to one ofthe other four at their place since February 2004, when unbeaten Saint Joseph's won by seven.

The last time Dunphy beat Villanova was December 2002, when Penn won in South Philly by 14.

In his first game, at McGonigle Hall against Wisconsin, Sanchez played 34 minutes. He finished with four points, going 0-for-5 from three. But he had fivesteals, four boards and three assists. Temple lost, in overtime.

Now, it's someone else's turn.

"We're winging it at this point," Dunphy said. "There is no handbook. We're trying to see how far along he is, which I think is veryfar. After Villanova, we get another week before we play Kent State. In that 10-day period we should give him a pretty good sense and feel for what we'retrying to do. So he'll get indoctrinated quickly. I think his transition will be less burdensome than others.

"Still, it can't be easy on him. We just have to let him be the player he's going to be, give him some time to make the adjustment. It'll beinteresting to see how he absorbs. But let's not put too much on him."

At least until maybe the A-10 opener. *

[table][tr][td]NCAA Division I: ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RANK[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]RECORD[/td] [td]PTS[/td] [td]PVS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.[/td] [td]North Carolina (31)[/td] [td]12-0[/td] [td]775[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Rutgers 97-75 (12/28)
This Week: 12/31 at Nevada (7-5), 1/4 vs. Boston College (10-2) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.[/td] [td]Connecticut[/td] [td]11-0[/td] [td]737[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Fairfield 75-55 (12/26)
This Week: 12/29 vs. No. 8 Georgetown (9-1), 1/3 vs. Rutgers (9-4) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.[/td] [td]Pittsburgh[/td] [td]12-0[/td] [td]715[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: No Games Played
This Week: 12/31 at Rutgers (9-4), 1/3 at No. 8 Georgetown (9-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4.[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]12-0[/td] [td]683[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Rice 70-58 (12/22)
This Week: 12/30 at Arkansas (9-1), 1/3 vs. Coppin State (1-9) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5.[/td] [td]Duke[/td] [td]10-1[/td] [td]651[/td] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: No Games Played
This Week: 12/31 vs. Loyola (MD) (4-7), 1/4 vs. Virginia Tech (8-4) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6.[/td] [td]Wake Forest[/td] [td]11-0[/td] [td]598[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. East Carolina 95-54 (12/22)
This Week: 12/30 vs. Radford (4-
glasses.gif
, 1/3 at Brigham Young (10-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7.[/td] [td]Texas[/td] [td]10-2[/td] [td]531[/td] [td]8[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Wisconsin 74-69 (12/23)
This Week: 1/2 vs. Appalachian State (4-4) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8.[/td] [td]Georgetown[/td] [td]9-1[/td] [td]510[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Florida International 76-38 (12/23)
This Week: 12/29 at No. 2 Connecticut (11-0), 1/3 vs. No. 3 Pittsburgh (12-0) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9.[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [td]10-2[/td] [td]496[/td] [td]10[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Wyoming 113-62 (12/23), Def. Louisiana Tech 78-55 (12/28)
This Week: 1/2 at Oregon State (4-5), 1/4 at Oregon (5-6) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10.[/td] [td]Notre Dame[/td] [td]9-2[/td] [td]453[/td] [td]11[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Savannah State 81-49 (12/22)
This Week: 12/31 at DePaul (8-5), 1/3 at St. John's (9-3) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11.[/td] [td]Purdue[/td] [td]11-2[/td] [td]398[/td] [td]15[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. IPFW 70-55 (12/22), Def. Valparaiso 59-45 (12/28)
This Week: 12/30 vs. Illinois (12-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11.[/td] [td]Syracuse[/td] [td]12-1[/td] [td]398[/td] [td]14[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Coppin State 82-71 (12/22)
This Week: 12/30 vs. Seton Hall (9-3), 1/2 at South Florida (5-7) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13.[/td] [td]Villanova[/td] [td]11-1[/td] [td]351[/td] [td]16[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Navy 78-68 (12/22)
This Week: 12/29 vs. Temple (5-5), 1/1 at No. 25 Marquette (11-2) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14.[/td] [td]Arizona State[/td] [td]10-1[/td] [td]346[/td] [td]17[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Idaho State 90-55 (12/23)
This Week: 12/29 vs. Central Connecticut State (5-5), 1/2 at Stanford (9-0), 1/4 at California (11-2) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15.[/td] [td]Michigan State[/td] [td]9-2[/td] [td]308[/td] [td]18[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Oakland 82-66 (12/27)
This Week: 12/31 at No. 21 Minnesota (12-0), 1/3 at Northwestern (8-2) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16.[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [td]12-0[/td] [td]293[/td] [td]20[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: No Games Played
This Week: 12/30 at South Carolina (9-1), 1/3 vs. East Carolina (8-4) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17.[/td] [td]Gonzaga[/td] [td]8-3[/td] [td]285[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Lost to Portland State 77-70 (12/23)
This Week: 12/31 at Utah (7-5) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18.[/td] [td]Louisville[/td] [td]8-2[/td] [td]223[/td] [td]19[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. UAB 82-62 (12/27)
This Week: 12/31 vs. UNLV (11-2), 1/4 vs. Kentucky (10-3) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18.[/td] [td]Tennessee[/td] [td]8-2[/td] [td]223[/td] [td]21[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: No Games Played
This Week: 12/29 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (4-6), 1/3 at Kansas (8-3) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20.[/td] [td]Baylor[/td] [td]10-1[/td] [td]194[/td] [td]22[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Hartford 74-59 (12/22)
This Week: 12/29 vs. Portland State (10-3), 12/31 vs. Jackson State (1-10), 1/2 vs. South Carolina (9-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21.[/td] [td]Minnesota[/td] [td]12-0[/td] [td]181[/td] [td]23[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Southeastern Louisiana 80-71 (12/23), Def. High Point 82-56 (12/28)
This Week: 12/31 vs. No. 15 Michigan State (9-2), 1/3 vs. No. 23 Ohio State (9-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22.[/td] [td]Xavier[/td] [td]9-2[/td] [td]169[/td] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Lost to Butler 74-65 (12/23)
This Week: 12/31 vs. Robert Morris (6-6), 1/3 at Virginia (6-4) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23.[/td] [td]Ohio State[/td] [td]9-1[/td] [td]158[/td] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. North Carolina-Asheville 83-59 (12/22), Lost to West Virginia 76-48 (12/27)
This Week: 12/31 vs. Iowa (10-3), 1/3 at No. 21 Minnesota (12-0) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24.[/td] [td]Michigan[/td] [td]9-2[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]NR[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. Florida Gulf Coast 76-59 (12/22)
This Week: 12/29 vs. North Carolina Central (0-14), 12/31 vs. Wisconsin (9-3), 1/4 vs. Illinois (12-1) Tickets[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25.[/td] [td]Marquette[/td] [td]11-2[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]25[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Last Week: Def. North Carolina State 68-65 (12/22), Def. Presbyterian 84-45 (12/28)
This Week: 1/1 vs. No. 13 Villanova (11-1), 1/4 vs. Cincinnati (10-2) Tickets[/td] [/tr][/table]Others Receiving Votes
Brigham Young 43, West Virginia 41, Butler 37, Memphis 33, Dayton 32, Saint Mary's 26, Davidson 12, Arizona 10, Missouri 9, Illinois 8, Illinois State 6,Stanford 6, Florida 5, LSU 4, Texas A&M 3, Florida State 2, Utah State 1.

Dropped From Rankings
Memphis 24.

Big East looking top-heavy heading into league play

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

The Big East could be setting itself up to grab a record 10, maybe even 11, NCAA tournament bids, including a pair of No. 1 seeds.
That's the best-case scenario after what coaches are calling the most anticipated conference season since the league expanded to 16 teams four years ago. But to make sure this occurs, there must be clear separation. The Big East needs to have an elite ruling class of at least 10 teams, and a six-team lower class that is fodder for the ruling 10. Unfortunately, there may not be room for a middle class. Beating that bottom six won't be enough. The NCAA tournament selection committee will slice apart each member's résumé, like they will for every other at-large candidate. Beating up on the bottom six -- projected as Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, DePaul, Rutgers and South Florida -- is a must as a first step, but if there aren't quality wins among the other 10 teams, the worthiness of a bid will be questioned. Going 8-10 in conference play won't mean as much if seven of the eight wins are against the bottom six. A team that goes 9-9 will have to beat a few of the top 10 teams to reach that record. "The tournament committee will look at who you beat, but in this league, that will show up in the RPI," Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said. "I've told our team that our fate will be decided in the Big East. In the Big East, you're always a week away from a potential three-game losing streak. If your kids are flat, if you lose your mojo and relax, you could lose three in a row. By the time you snap out of it, you could be in a funk." The consensus is that getting through this league unblemished isn't possible. As well as Connecticut and Pittsburgh are playing, no one in either camp, as well as the rest of the league, truly believes either team could run the table. "I've said all along that we're going to lose a No. 1 or 2 seed because we're all going to lose games," Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. "This conference is too good and we play 18 games. We've got too many good teams and we're going to have losses. It's a given." No one is safe from getting beat, at home or on the road, according to Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. "Somebody is going to emerge that's going to win a lot of close games," Boeheim said. "It's going to be really interesting." This is the first season the Big East is inviting all 16 teams to the conference tournament. Dismissing the bottom four teams -- likely Rutgers, DePaul, St. John's and South Florida -- isn't right. They all have a shot, even though winning five games in New York City in March is a monumental task. The bids for the Big East will be earned, Cronin said, during the conference grind. Here's a look at what the 10 contenders (and two additional long shots) have done so far, along with the strength of their conference schedules and arguably the most critical stretch of league games they'll face in their quests for NCAA tournament bids:

2132.gif
Cincinnati (10-2)
• Next game: Monday at Memphis
• First Big East game: Jan. 4 at Marquette
• Most meaningful wins thus far: at UNLV; vs. UAB; vs. Mississippi State (in Cincinnati)
• Number of Big East games against projected bottom six: 7
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Cincinnati plays twice: 1 -- Georgetown
• Key stretch: Feb. 14-March 1

Cincinnati's potential at-large bid will come down to this stretch. The Bearcats go to Pitt, host Louisville and West Virginia and then travel to Syracuse. The two road games will be tough, making those two home games against a contender in Louisville and a possible fellow bubble team in West Virginia critical for Cincinnati to impress the committee.
41.gif
Connecticut (11-0)
• Next game, first Big East game: Monday vs. Georgetown (7 p.m., ESPN2)
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Gonzaga (in Seattle); vs. Miami, vs. Wisconsin (both in Virgin Islands)
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Connecticut plays twice: 2 -- Pitt and Notre Dame
• Key stretch: Feb. 16-March 7

UConn plays Pitt twice during this final push, at home Feb. 16 and in the season finale on the road March 7. UConn also hosts Notre Dame (in addition to South Florida) during this stretch and goes to Marquette. Connecticut will win or lose the Big East title in these last three weeks.
46.gif
Georgetown (9-1)
• Next game, first Big East game: Monday at UConn
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Memphis (OT); vs. Maryland (in Orlando, Fla.)
• Number of Big East games against projected bottom six: 6
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Georgetown plays twice: 3 -- Syracuse, Marquette and Cincinnati
• Key stretch: Dec. 29-Jan. 17

Georgetown will know if it can be a player in the Big East race in the first few weeks of conference play. The Hoyas play two of the projected top-four teams on the road in UConn and Notre Dame, host two other top-five teams in Pitt and Syracuse, then take on Providence at home and end the stretch with a nonconference game at Duke.
97.gif
Louisville (8-2)
• Next game: Wednesday vs. UNLV
• First Big East game: Jan. 7 at South Florida
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. UAB; vs. Ole Miss (in Cincinnati)
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Louisville plays twice: 2 -- Notre Dame and West Virginia
• Key stretch: Feb. 21-23

Maybe it's not fair to single out just one two-game road trip, but this swing to Cincinnati and Georgetown could decide whether the Cardinals are still in the chase for the title or second place. The schedule is favorable from mid-February to early March, save this critical road trip.
269.gif
Marquette (11-2)
• Next game, first Big East game: Thursday vs. Villanova
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Wisconsin; at NC State
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Marquette plays twice: 2 -- Georgetown and Villanova
• Key stretch: Feb. 21-March 7

Marquette may have the toughest end-of-the-season string of games in the Big East. The Golden Eagles play three of five on the road at Georgetown, Louisville and Pitt, and their two home games are against Connecticut and Syracuse, which have been quality road teams so far this season. This run of games symbolizes how unforgiving the Big East can be this season. This also plays into something a number of coaches said last week: the point of the season in which teams play will be key. The Eagles may have to be in good standing prior to this run and then hope they don't get slammed, leaving a bad impression before the conference tournament and selection weekend.
87.gif
Notre Dame (9-2)
• Next game, first Big East game: Wednesday at DePaul
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Texas (in Maui)
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Notre Dame plays twice: 2 -- UConn and Louisville
• Key stretch: Jan. 12-Feb. 7

The Irish will know where they stand after this gauntlet of games. Notre Dame goes to Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt and Cincinnati during this stretch and hosts Connecticut and Marquette. As you can see, there are no bottom-six games in this stretch. And just to prove they're gluttons for punishment, the Irish will travel to UCLA for a nonconference game to cap off this brutal stretch. So that makes five of seven games on the road, with all seven teams likely NCAA tournament-bound.
221.gif
Pittsburgh (12-0)
• Next game, first Big East game: Wednesday at Rutgers
• Most meaningful wins thus far: at Florida State; vs. Washington State; vs. Texas Tech (in New Jersey)
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Pittsburgh plays twice: 2 -- UConn and West Virginia
• Key stretch: Jan. 17-31

The Panthers do have those two UConn games in late February and early March, but the rest of the games in between their matchups with the Huskies aren't as daunting, with three of four coming against the projected bottom six. The late-January stretch should decide whether those Connecticut games will determine the conference championship. Pitt plays three of five on the road in this stretch, going to Louisville, West Virginia and Villanova, and gets Syracuse and Notre Dame at home.
183.gif
Syracuse (12-1)
• Next game, first Big East game: Tuesday vs. Seton Hall
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Florida; vs. Kansas (in Kansas City); at Memphis
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Syracuse plays twice: 2 -- Villanova and Georgetown
• Key stretch: Jan. 14-28

The Orange play three of five on the road during this dangerous period, with games at Georgetown, Pitt and Providence. The two home games are against Notre Dame and Louisville. How Syracuse fares after this grouping of games should say a lot about whether the Orange are players for a top-three conference finish.
222.gif
Villanova (11-1)
• Next game, first Big East game: Thursday at Marquette
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Niagara
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Villanova plays twice: 2 -- Syracuse and Marquette
• Key stretch: Feb. 22-March 2

Villanova has a schedule that is well spread out until this cluster of games late in the season. The Wildcats play three of four on the road during this run, going to Syracuse and DePaul on one trip, coming home to play Georgetown, and then visiting Notre Dame. The Wildcats aren't likely a Big East title contender, but this run of games will likely determine their NCAA seeding, as well as their conference finish.
277.gif
West Virginia (10-2)
• Next game, first Big East game: Saturday at Seton Hall
• Most meaningful wins thus far: at Ohio State; at Ole Miss; vs. Cleveland State
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams West Virginia plays twice: 2 -- Pitt and Louisville
• Key stretch: Jan. 22-Feb. 4

The Mountaineers play three of five on the road during this stretch (at Georgetown, Louisville and Syracuse). One of the two home games is against archrival Pitt, and the other is versus St. John's. West Virginia will come away from these games either more comfortable (if that's possible) or desperately seeking quality conference wins.
Two projected bottom-six Big East teams with a shot at a bid:
2507.gif
Providence (8-4)
• Next game and first Big East game: Wednesday vs. St. John's
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. Charlotte (in Anaheim, Calif.)
• Number of Big East games against projected bottom six: 6
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Providence plays twice: 2 -- Cincinnati and Villanova
• Key stretch: Feb. 18-March 5

Fittingly, the final three weeks of the regular season can determine if the Friars have a pulse. The Big East will provide more opportunities for quality wins than any other conference. If Providence is still standing by mid-February, then playing three of its final five games on the road (at Louisville, Rutgers and Villanova) will determine the Friars' fate. The two home games during this stretch are against Notre Dame and Pitt, which could prove to be must-wins by that point in the season. But just imagine if Providence were to beat Notre Dame and Pitt, and steal a win at, say, Louisville, in the final three weeks. How many other bubble teams would have three quality wins like that in the final few weeks of the regular season? That's why a team like PC has a shot.
2550.gif
Seton Hall (9-3)
• Next game and first Big East game: Tuesday at Syracuse
• Most meaningful wins thus far: vs. USC; vs. Virginia Tech (in Puerto Rico)
• Number of projected top-10 Big East teams Seton Hall plays twice: 1 -- UConn
• Key stretch: Dec. 30-Jan. 18

The Pirates have one of the easiest schedules in the Big East (if you can say that), but it won't matter if the Hall is buried early in the season. Seton Hall has already lost to IUPUI at home and at James Madison, so it's hard to project whether the Pirates can take care of business early in the conference season. But during this opening Big East run, the Pirates play three of five on the road at Syracuse, Notre Dame and Connecticut. Let's assume those are three losses. If that's the case, then it puts a premium on the Pirates two home games against West Virginia and Villanova. If the Pirates come out of this five-game stretch at 2-3, they could be alive in February.

-
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
- At Nova most significant win so far.

-Damn, Marquette last five are
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

When you look at those schedules it becomes even clearer that the Big East is utterly disgusting
sick.gif

Conference is a +@!$!!% war zone
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

When you look at those schedules it becomes even clearer that the Big East is utterly disgusting
sick.gif

smh.gif

And then you look at the SEC and...

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

sick.gif

smh.gif

son why do you hate so much on the SEC? conferences go through periods when they are tough, and times where they are not.
I'm a Big East fan, foremost, but you just like bringing up the SEC for no reason and bashing it.

I haven't seen a game since we lost to Michigan... I'ma have to go back through this and see what I missed...

Any big updates, minus the heave that beat cuse as Cam so graciously pointed out to me after it happened
smh.gif
laugh.gif
???
My _, you missed a hell of a game in UConn/Gonzaga
eek.gif

Jodie Meeks went ballistic and been droppin' buckets. Patterson too.

UNC got Ginyard back. Rich gettin' richer.

Arizona messed around and beat Gonzaga and Kansas. This dude Hill playin' himself into the lottery.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

smh.gif
laugh.gif
???
My _, you missed a hell of a game in UConn/Gonzaga
eek.gif

Jodie Meeks went ballistic and been droppin' buckets. Patterson too.

UNC got Ginyard back. Rich gettin' richer.

Arizona messed around and beat Gonzaga and Kansas. This dude Hill playin' himself into the lottery.

Zona beat who???? Pargo and Sherron didn't play???

smh.gif
@ UNC not having atleast 3 players academically ineligible

Meeks should be putting up #'s as many shots as he takes
laugh.gif

Got Damnit!!!! I knew I missed atleast one great game
smh.gif

Good Looks Kerlew.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

sick.gif

smh.gif

son why do you hate so much on the SEC? conferences go through periods when they are tough, and times where they are not.
I'm a Big East fan, foremost, but you just like bringing up the SEC for no reason and bashing it.

I'm just F'n around, I realize they are going through a transitional period now, and a lot of this chit is cyclical. But to be honest, I thought thisconference would still be better than it has been. Kentucky was really a team I thought that people were sleeping on them coming into this year but they justhaven't had any type of consistent play at all. Same with Florida and Tenn. I guess my saltiness comes from the Big East being so bad in football and theSEC being so dominant.
laugh.gif

I don't even care who wins this game, at least this game will be more competitive than anything SJU does all season.

Back
Top Bottom