The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

TERRELLHOLLOWAY6_7150.JPG

I haven't been paying attention.

How's my son been doing?
Long Island!!

He's been playing good, though. He was hurt a little so he's not 100%

Tuesday, December 23[table][tr][th=""]Game[/th] [th=""]Network[/th] [th=""]Coverage Notes[/th] [th=""]PPV?[/th] [th=""]Time[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Idaho St. at Arizona St.[/td] [td]
fsn-r.jpg
[/td] [td]
fs-az.jpg
pt.jpg

fcs-p.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]2pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Butler at Xavier[/td] [td]
espnu.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]7pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Presbyterian at S. Carolina[/td] [td]
ss.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]7pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Missouri vs. Illinois
(at St. Louis, MO)
[/td] [td]
espn2.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]7:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portland St. at Gonzaga[/td] [td]
khq.jpg
[/td] [td]
fs-nw.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]UMBC at Nebraska[/td] [td]
fs-mw.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]S. Dakota St. at Iowa St.[/td] [td]Mediacom-IA[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Centenary at Texas Tech[/td] [td]Texas Tech TV[/td] [td]
fs-sw.jpg
[/td] [td]
espnfc.jpg
[/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]New Mexico St. at New Mexico[/td] [td]
mtn.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SE Louisiana at Minnesota[/td] [td]
espnu.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]9pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Texas at Wisconsin[/td] [td]
espn2.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]9:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kansas at Arizona[/td] [td]
fsn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td]FSN List[/td] [td] [/td] [td]10:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]S. Utah at UNLV[/td] [td]
mtn.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]10:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wyoming at UCLA[/td] [td]
pt.jpg
[/td] [td]
fcs-a.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]10:30pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Stanford at Santa Clara[/td] [td]
espnu.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]11pm[/td] [/tr][/table]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]here are five other entities waiting on presents:[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]Marquette[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What the Golden Eagles need: A post player[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]As I pointed out last week, the averageheight of Marquette's players, according to KenPom.com, is 75.3 inches, which is a tad under 6-foot-3. That ranks 315th nationally, or 72nd out of 73BCS-affiliated schools (ahead of only Nebraska). So while Buzz Williams has done a good job so far of disguising this problem (the Golden Eagles are 10-2 withwins over Wisconsin and N.C. State), it's fair to wonder if a size-deficient team can survive a Big East schedule, particularly a Big East schedule thatcloses with games against Georgetown (Greg Monroe), Connecticut (Hasheem Thabeet), Louisville (Samardo Samuels), Pittsburgh (DeJuan Blair) and Syracuse (ArinzeOnuaku).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]That slate of games could be a bubble-buster for anybody.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But it should be especially tough for a team of short dudes.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]Duke[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What the Blue Devils need: Some Hatorade for the haters[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I ranked Duke fourth in the preseason Top 25(and one), at which point I was widely criticized, and I never understood it. Despitethe fact that Duke returned the core of a 28-win team, people wanted to talk about how the Blue Devils lost in the second round of last season's NCAAtournament, as if that was the most important thing to consider.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]You know who else lost in the second round of last season's NCAA tournament?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Pittsburgh.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But nobody cared if you ranked Pitt in the top five. And UConn lost in the first round, but pretty much everybody hadthe Huskies in the top three. So as usual, the average fan was holding Duke to a different standard. But now here we are, approaching the new year, and Duke is10-1 -- with wins over No. 10 Purdue, No. 14 Xavier and No. 24 Michigan -- and ranked fifth in the AP poll, and sooner or later people are going to realizethat whether you like Duke or hate Duke, you must admit that Duke is almost always going to field an elite team, at least as long as Mike Krzyzewski isinvolved.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]The Pac-10[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What the Pac-10 needs: An obvious and undeniable good team[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]There are just two Pac-10 schools ranked in the latest AP Poll: No. 13 UCLA and No. 20 Arizona State. And though Ilike both teams, UCLA (8-2 overall, 0-2 against the Top 25) is unproven and Arizona State (9-1 overall, 0-1 against the Top 25) nearly lost back-to-back homegames to IUPUI and BYU. Stanford is undefeated, but that means nothing; Arizona is just as likely to beat Gonzaga by five as it is to lose to UNLV by 15; Calis limited; Southern California already has three losses; Washington State has lost three of five; Washington has two losses despite playing no currentlyranked teams; and Oregon and Oregon State stink.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Add it up, and the only thing worse than the Pac-10 is the SEC.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But at least the SEC has great football; the Pac-10 doesn't even have that.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]Syracuse[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What the Orange need: A reformed Eric Devendorf[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I'm OK with a Syracuse University Appeals Board softening Eric Devendorf's suspension to what should amountto two games, but now it's time for the senior guard to realize he's fortunate and return to the team with more focus, both on and off the court.Devendorf was already on probation before last month's incident that resulted in him being accused of hitting a female student in the face. So regardlessof whether you believe that happened the way the alleged victim said it happened, I think we can all agree that Devendorf has a unique ability to find trouble,and it's time for that to stop.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]AP poll[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What the AP poll needs: More sensible voters[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I make a living goofing on silly voters each Monday in the Poll Attacks, so I appreciate them. But in all seriousness,some of the people voting are so clueless that you have to wonder why their votes haven't been revoked.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]For instance, how can someone rank Kansas and Florida 16th and 18th?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]No idea.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But the guy from the Athens Banner-Herald did it this week, and he omitted Ohio State andClemson.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]How can someone rank Memphis but not Syracuse?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But the guy from the San Jose Mercury News did it this week.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]How can someone still not be ranking Baylor?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But the guy from the Baton Rouge Advocate did it this week.[/font]

^ i believe only a junior athletically due to the injury.

I may need to give Bruce Weber a public apology in the future.

What does Texas A&M have to do to get votes?

Better yet, what does Louisville have to do to not get votes?

These are the types of things we explore every Monday in the Poll Attacks.

AP poll: Preseason polls are based on expectations, and that's the way it should be. But as the season gets going that sliding scale between expectations and results has to start moving closer to results, and assuming you agree with that premise then you're probably as baffled as I am about how Louisville can be ranked 19th.

Now don't get me wrong; I like Louisville's potential.

I had the Cards ranked second in the preseason Top 25 (and one), and I won't be surprised if they compete for the Big East title and a berth in the Final Four. But that's all stuff that might happen in March, and this AP poll should be (mostly) based on stuff that did happen in November and December, and by that measuring stick there's no way Louisville should be ranked 19th.

The Cards are 7-2 with losses to Western Kentucky and Minnesota; they have no good wins. So I ask: Does that sound like a team that should be ranked 19th -- or three spots ahead of a Clemson team that's 12-0 with wins over Temple, Illinois and Miami?

I think not.

And that's why I didn't rank Louisville.

And that's why I have Clemson ranked 17th.

Because Louisville hasn't looked good on the court, and Clemson has.

Coaches poll: LSU has played one good team all season, and that team (Texas A&M) beat the Tigers by double-digits this past weekend. So I can't see how or why LSU got three votes in the coaches poll, but what's even more disturbing is that Texas A&M didn't get any.

You follow me?

Texas A&M is 10-1 with wins over a one-loss LSU team and a three-loss Arizona team (plus a decent Alabama team).

But Texas A&M got no votes.

While LSU got three and Arizona got nine.

And speaking or Arizona, how'd the Wildcats actually get nine votes?

That's the question Trevor asked via email. I'll just let him handle the rest of the Poll Attacks: "How is it that the coaches poll gives votes to Arizona after the beatdown UNLV put on them Saturday? Yes, the win against Gonzaga was impressive. But the 15-point margin Saturday wasn't indicative of the closeness of the game. The Rebels were up as much as 23 and were up by double-digits most of the second half. Too bad the coaches don't have the guts to put their names on their votes."

True dat, Trevor.

True dat.

laugh.gif
Highligting my two favorite teams and I agree 100%...

That's awful. Good win by Texas, but..

If that spanish kid is Texas' choice, I'm not buying into them, at all.

Back
Top Bottom