The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

*allen

He's better than good. you make room for a kid like him.

Memphis is on him already, NC State as well...and I'm assuming III will be in contact for us

What are the chances that this kid actually ends up at UAB?

Coming into the season Mater P, Was talking about his son ROMEO A.KA. Percy Miller ( USC ), being the top 10 player in the country..Blah, Blah, Blah....Fooldont even get Playing Time...
nerd.gif
The highest dawg scored this season was 5points..
eyes.gif

ya right mike
laugh.gif

now, i'd say the chances aren't all that good. I mean, why not just give the kid the paper work? A chance at the biggest recruit in school history andthey're letting him get away

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Hol On Percy actually touched the court for USC???? (o_O)
never knew Lil romeo actually touched the floor either
laugh.gif

DeMarcus Cousins back in play
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Cal, put on the superman suit; imagaine Xavier Henry , DeMarcus Cousins, Wesly Witherspoon,and John Wall
pimp.gif

A&M's play so far is pretty sickening. Arizona has so far been able to have their way with our defense. It looks like nobody on A&M came expectingto play tonight.

I thought we were going to be pretty tough this season after seeing the first few games...I now see that that was nothing more than the benefit of a very weakschedule.

ODDS AND ENDS FROM THE NOTEBOOK

I'm going through my notes (I filled three notebooks on this trip) and will run through some random things I haven't had the time to write in the pastweek:

- Boston College freshman guard Reggie Jackson is the latest in the under-the-radar gets for Al Skinner's staff. Bill Coen and Ed Cooley made a living outof it and Jackson, while he may not wind up being Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley or Tyrese Rice, should have a productive career in Chestnut Hill.

- I give Oklahoma freshman Willie Warren a lot of credit. He didn't try and make the game against USC something in which he wanted to show the 25 or so NBApeople that he belonged in a class with overhyped (because of people like me) wing Demar DeRozan. Warren didn't force anything and, if anything, deferredthe entire game. It looks like I may owe Sooners coach Jeff Capel, assistant Oronde Taliaferro and Warren an apology at the end of the season if Warren remainsthe consummate teammate.

- If there was a positive to take out of Michigan State's loss to North Carolina, it was that sophomore Chris Allen appeared confident with his perimetershot. Allen is a big-time shooter, but had gotten off to a rough start - and Tom Izzo will have difficulty keeping him in the game if he's not making shotsbecause he's not exactly a lock-down defender.

- Florida big man Vernon Macklin, who is sitting out this season after transferring from Georgetown, has gone from a skinny 195-pounder a few years ago to achiseled 245 pounds. ``He looks like Amare Stoudamire," Gators coach Billy Donovan said.

- Wright State has gotten off to a rough start and while Brad Brownell isn't the type to use excuses, he's been snake-bitten by injuries. His topplayer, Vaughn Duggins, has a broken finger that will keep him out for the next few weeks; Troy Tabler has a separated shoulder, Kyle Pressley broke his ankleand Gavin Horne has a disc problem in his lower back. Brownell & Co. are down to eight players.

- Maybe it's because I've known him for years, but I feel bad for Duke senior Greg Paulus - who has had to take a back seat and a lesser role comingoff the bench in his final go-around. Remember, this is a kid who could play played quarterback and point guard just about anywhere - including at Notre Dame.But to his credit, Paulus has been a team guy and hasn't complained once about his demotion.

- The Oklahoma staff raves about Taylor Griffin and how there's not an once of jealousy about his younger brother, Blake, getting so much attention.``Those kids look at everything the right way," Oklahoma assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro said.

- Blake Griffin stood clapping on the court as Wayne Tisdale entered the building. Tisale had his leg amputated recently after cancer treatment didn'twork. Griffin then seemed in awe as he watched the sold-out crowd's standing ovation for the former OU star. I'm pretty sure I read Griffin's lipsas he leaned over to one of the refs. ``That's what it's all about," Griffin said.

RANDOM NOTES: Team Texas coach Wes Grandstaff, who coached Willie Warren in the summer, was in attendance for Oklahoma's victory againstUSC. … Golden State general manager Chris Mullin took in the UNC rout over Michigan State and then went to the Oklahoma game in Norman. … Michigan State sportsinformation director Matt Larson has opted to go with the slicked-back, Pat Riley-esque look. I wish I could pull that one off, but there's just no chance.… I had to sit next to CBS Sportsline's Gregg Doyel on consecutive nights. He's not nearly as annoying as you'd think. … Speaking of writers, therewas one down in Orlando wearing a bright red hat that I just couldn't get past. … Notre Dame has more current NBA guys than any Big East team besides Uconnand Syracuse.

Vern...245?!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

- Boston College freshman guard Reggie Jackson is the latest in the under-the-radar gets for Al Skinner's staff. Bill Coen and Ed Cooley made a living out of it and Jackson, while he may not wind up being Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley or Tyrese Rice, should have a productive career in Chestnut Hill.
Yep. He's been playing well the limited times I have seen them

If only Rakim could get his %$$@ together on a nightly basis...They might have something.

[h2]Syracuse player texts alleged Devendorf victim[/h2]
The ongoing saga involving Eric Devendorf at Syracuse has received almost no national attention, but it's getting juicier by the minute and is at least worth a mention. If you're unfamiliar, the gist of the story is that a Syracuse student named Kimberly Smith accused Devendorf of hitting her in the face last month, and the result is that Devendorf had a judicial board hearing late Thursday.

Among the interesting things that came out of the hearing was that Devendorf's teammate, Justin Thomas, sent a text message to Smith after the alleged incident that included Jim Boeheim's cell number, just in case Smith wanted to talk to the Syracuse coach. Another text message from Thomas to Smith read as follows: "i hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive my teammates thanks."

Now I'm no lawyer, but it can't be a good sign that Thomas is asking the alleged victim to forgive his teammates, if only because it's hard to figure out why you'd need somebody to forgive you if you didn't do anything wrong, though it's possible I'm just reading too much into a text message. Who knows? But one thing that's certain is that this isn't going away as quickly or easily as anybody connected to the Syracuse basketball program probably wanted, and if Devendorf doesn't get a favorable ruling then it could affect the Orange's hope of making the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, the Post-Standard newspaper in Syracuse has a lengthy story on the hearing.

You can read it at this link.

[h2]Syracuse player texts alleged Devendorf victim[/h2]
The ongoing saga involving Eric Devendorf at Syracuse has received almost no national attention, but it's getting juicier by the minute and is at least worth a mention. If you're unfamiliar, the gist of the story is that a Syracuse student named Kimberly Smith accused Devendorf of hitting her in the face last month, and the result is that Devendorf had a judicial board hearing late Thursday.

Among the interesting things that came out of the hearing was that Devendorf's teammate, Justin Thomas, sent a text message to Smith after the alleged incident that included Jim Boeheim's cell number, just in case Smith wanted to talk to the Syracuse coach. Another text message from Thomas to Smith read as follows: "i hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive my teammates thanks."

Now I'm no lawyer, but it can't be a good sign that Thomas is asking the alleged victim to forgive his teammates, if only because it's hard to figure out why you'd need somebody to forgive you if you didn't do anything wrong, though it's possible I'm just reading too much into a text message. Who knows? But one thing that's certain is that this isn't going away as quickly or easily as anybody connected to the Syracuse basketball program probably wanted, and if Devendorf doesn't get a favorable ruling then it could affect the Orange's hope of making the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, the Post-Standard newspaper in Syracuse has a lengthy story on the hearing.

You can read it at this link.

*!# is going on. This can't be good.

Just got back from the game
pimp.gif
Great finish. We still played soft though...my feelings from earlier still exist.

Nate Walkup earned himself avy privileges tonight
pimp.gif
Huge shot there with 17 seconds left.

Everyone rushed the court after the game, so I said "F it." and rushed with 'em. Gave Turgeon, Holmes, and Davis a high five
laugh.gif

Big game coming up at Alabama a week from tomorrow. If we can finish this 4-game stretch off 3-1, I'll be very pleased.

- Blake Griffin stood clapping on the court as Wayne Tisdale entered the building. Tisale had his leg amputated recently after cancer treatment didn'twork. Griffin then seemed in awe as he watched the sold-out crowd's standing ovation for the former OU star. I'm pretty sure I read Griffin's lipsas he leaned over to one of the refs. ``That's what it's all about," Griffin said.

pimp.gif

As for Devo, I had a friend there who said that the story isn't true. Heard that Devo actually got into a fight with some frat kids who were looking to acttough. Arinze was behind Devo the whole time. Devo is already on probation so hopefully everything will be okay which it should be. At the maximum Devo wouldget suspended for a few games. At this point we are in teh weak part of the schedule. LBSU, CSU (no slouch). Canisius.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

- Blake Griffin stood clapping on the court as Wayne Tisdale entered the building. Tisale had his leg amputated recently after cancer treatment didn't work. Griffin then seemed in awe as he watched the sold-out crowd's standing ovation for the former OU star. I'm pretty sure I read Griffin's lips as he leaned over to one of the refs. ``That's what it's all about," Griffin said.

pimp.gif

As for Devo, I had a friend there who said that the story isn't true. Heard that Devo actually got into a fight with some frat kids who were looking to act tough. Arinze was behind Devo the whole time. Devo is already on probation so hopefully everything will be okay which it should be. At the maximum Devo would get suspended for a few games. At this point we are in teh weak part of the schedule. LBSU, CSU (no slouch). Canisius.
I mentioned that a while back. People didn't respect him before and now he lost pretty much the whole campus except for Sammy. Devo slappedthe kid on Marshall St. then brought the fight to DKE. DKE is far from tough. These are all preppy kids that wear button downs, khakis and boat shoes to class.I don't think that they care because they are the rich house. Trust if they wanted to, they could get a really good lawyer to put the clamps on the BSlawyer the school hired. I like Syracuse but I am slowly losing respect for the entire team. If they lose in the postseason if they make it, I wouldn'tcare at all. I mean I do wear UConn apparel to class.

Devendorf can only do what he did in Syracuse. He was shook to come to Brooklyn to play in a pick up game. He canceled at the last minute after it had been setup for damn near a month. I know he's not that stupid to try something like that in NYC.

Justin Thomas probably ended any chance he had of getting on the court in garbage time. It doesn't help that he's a walk-on but now that he sent thattext he's sealed his fate. He's lucky that he is a senior because he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell to get back on the team for09-10.

As far as the OJA hearing goes, he is going to get off with warning. I know the people on the board from when I had to go and he knows 3 out of the 5 who makethe decision. He's basically going to get to rest the next couple of games.

Yea Allen, he really did

I dunno what Turgeon said/did at half, but the defense came back much, much more physical. Chase got softer at that point.

yeah i turned it off..things musta really switched.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Luke Harangody has pneumonia.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Tyler Hansbrough has a stress reaction.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And Blake Griffin is recovering from a pop tothe privates.[/font]
[table][tr][td]
img11154276.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]B.J. Mullens will be on the court vs. Notre Dame, looking to show why he was so hyped. (Getty Images)[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica]So I ask: Is there any doubt that being an All-American post player is a health risk? No wonder Michael Beasleyand Kevin Love turned pro after one season. Had they stayed any longer, they would've almost certainly come down with a broken wrist or lupus. Orsomething.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Anyway, here's the Friday Look Ahead.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth flying to see in person: There was a time when Saturday's NotreDame-Ohio State game was to be anticipated because of the possible Harangody-B.J. Mullens showdown, but a couple of things happenedalong the way: One is that Harangody got pneumonia (he missed the Irish's past two games) and the other is that Mullens' college career got off to arough start (he's only averaging 5.5 points and 4.0 rebounds in 16.8 minutes per game). Thus, the matchup of elite big men won't happen becauseHarangody isn't expected to play and Mullens doesn't seem elite. But this is still a contest between two teams ranked in the Top 25 (and one), and that alone makes it an interesting neutral-site game.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth driving to see in person: Proof that nobody is above critique came this week when Bo Ryan-- in advance of Saturday's game against Marquette -- was questioned by the University of Wisconsin student newspaper,which wondered (in print) whether the Badgers coach is capable of taking Wisconsin to the so-called next level in an article under the headline "Time forBo to take next step."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I guess seven consecutive NCAA tournament appearances doesn't get you what it used to get you, not when youdon't also make Final Fours, as the paper noted that Ryan had not. But the problem with discounting coaches who haven't made a Final Four is that notonly do you end up discounting Ryan, but also guys like Mark Few, Jamie Dixon, Sean Miller, Jay Wright and John Beilein, and that just seems silly. But ifWisconsin ever grows tired of Ryan and all his Big Ten titles, there's an easy way to fix the problem. The school can just got out and hire itself a"Final Four" coach, because I'm sure it could lure Steve Fisher or Rick Majerus whenever it wants.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth watching on TV: It's a shame that Miami guard Jack McClinton hasdeveloped into one of the ACC's best players, and yet he's probably best known nationally now as the guy who got caught -- as one e-mailer put it --"keeping his pimp hand strong" in this week's loss to Ohio State. Case you missed it, McClinton took a swing at OSU's Anthony Crater and wasejected, which helped the Buckeyes erase a 14-point halftime deficit. But the good news for Miami is that McClinton will be available for Saturday's gameat Kentucky, and with any luck he'll manage to play 32 minutes without slapping Jodie Meeks.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Some non-BCS love: What are Sidney Lowe's thoughts on Stephen Curry heading into Saturday'sgame with Davidson? "Scouting him is not real difficult because you know what he can do," said the North CarolinaState coach. "The challenge is stopping him." Obviously, Lowe is unfamiliar with Jimmy Patsos'double-Curry-all-game-and-hold-him-scoreless-while-you-lose-by-30 strategy. But that's probably OK, because Lowe doesn't strike me as the type who isinterested in voluntarily losing by 30 while he plays 3-on-4 against a Top 25 team.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]An obvious prediction: Lowe will neither double Curry all game nor lose by 30. And Curry won'tgo scoreless.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]A crazy prediction (but it might happen anyway): So far this season I've had two"crazy" predictions in these Friday Look Ahead columns, and they've both ended up being more stupid than crazy, not to mentiontotally wrong. Consequently, I have no confidence in my ability to shock the world, and I feel like this is a waste of space. But in the spirit of picking aranked team to lose to an unranked team, I'll try Michigan over No. 4 Duke on Saturday at Crisler Arena and prepare tolook just as dumb as I did two weeks ago when I tried Michigan over Duke and watched the Blue Devils cruise to a 71-56 victory.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to keep rolling: This freshman class has been ridiculed nationally, and it has beenwell-deserved. But it should be pointed out that Georgetown forward Greg Monroe is off to a fine start, averaging 14.4 points and 5.6 rebounds(while shooting 66.7 percent from the field) through five games. And if those numbers don't jump off the page, consider that Roy Hibbert averaged 13.4points and 6.4 rebounds for the Hoyas last season, and that Jeff Green averaged 14.3 points and 6.4 rebounds for the Hoyas in the 2006-07 season, meaningMonroe has been comparable in Georgetown's system heading into Saturday's game against American.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to get rolling: There are lots of reasons for the early struggles of MichiganState -- injuries that have hobbled Goran Suton and Delvon Roe are just two of them -- but it doesn't help that Kalin Lucas isn't makingshots. The sophomore guard is 5-of-22 from the field in MSU's past two games (an unimpressive win over Wichita State and blowout loss to North Carolina),and on the season he's shooting 15.4 percent from 3-point range. That's not good, and it needs to get better if the Spartans are to avoid a scare fromBradley on Sunday.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Three things you should know before you go[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. It was predicted by pretty much anybody with half a brain that Sherron Collins would produce morefor Kansas this season, if only because it would be required. So it's worth mentioning that Collins' minutes (from 23.8 per game to32.6 per game), points (from 9.3 per game to 17.9 per game) and assists (from 3.1 per game to 4.9 per game) are all up heading into Saturday's game withJackson State.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]2. The non-league schedule for Gonzaga is tough as always, but it seems theBulldogs, by pure coincidence, are catching a lot of BCS-affiliated programs in down times. One win has come against a Big 12 program with a first-year coach(Oklahoma State) and another against an ACC program with a talent deficiency (Maryland). Now the Zags have a game on Saturday with a Big Ten program in a totalrebuilding phase (Indiana), and next week it's a game against a Pac-10 program playing under an interim coach (Arizona). Add it up, andthis schedule -- even with a tough matchup with Connecticut and rematch with Tennessee still to come -- seems likely to help Gonzaga earn a high seed in theNCAA tournament, which should aid the school in its quest to make its first Final Four.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]3. I'm still not sure that Nebraska is for real, but the Huskers are 6-0 withwins over TCU, Saint Louis and Creighton. If they win at Arizona State on Sunday then it might be time to pay attention.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Final thought: I got an e-mail from a guy named Jeff who suggested Chris Wright is as valuable toDayton as any player is to any team. At first, I shrugged it off, just figured it was another wild note from a fan. But then I looked at thebottom line and realized there's a case to be made. Consider that Wright appeared in just 15 games last season because of an ankle injury, and that Daytonwas 13-2 with him and 10-9 without him. Fast forward to this season, and the Flyers are 7-0 with Wright in the lineup, which means they are 20-2 with Wright asopposed to 10-9 without him over the past two seasons.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Impressive, isn't it?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Truth be told, I'd still argue any list of "most valuable" players must start with Stephen Curry andBlake Griffin, but it's clear the presence of Wright has a huge effect on whether Dayton wins or loses. And if he leads the Flyers to a win atAkron on Saturday, perhaps the AP voters will finally take notice and push Brian Gregory's team into the Top 25, given how it shouldalready be there anyway thanks to last weekend's double-digit win over Marquette.[/font]

Questioning Bo Ryan...
laugh.gif
Give me a break...

How has he not gotten pulled away by one of the bigger time programs yet? Probably my favorite coach in the country...

- Florida big man Vernon Macklin, who is sitting out this season after transferring from Georgetown, has gone from a skinny 195-pounder a few years ago to a chiseled 245 pounds. ``He looks like Amare Stoudamire," Gators coach Billy Donovan said.
Vern...245?!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

you mad about that, allen?

Nah, just don't believe it
laugh.gif
. Hope he does well.

[table][tr][td]3:30 PM ET[/td] [td]No. 4 Duke at Michigan[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]4:00 PM ET[/td] [td]Ohio State vs. No. 7 Notre Dame*[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]5:30 PM ET[/td] [td]No. 22 Miami (FL) at Kentucky[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]9:30 PM ET[/td] [td]No. 22 Wisconsin at Marquette[/td] [td] [/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

SNY has
UAB/Cincy
Louisville/Indiana State
Georgetown/American

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Questioning Bo Ryan...
laugh.gif
Give me a break...

How has he not gotten pulled away by one of the bigger time programs yet? Probably my favorite coach in the country...
you don't consider wisconsin a big enough program? there's only a handful of jobs i consider better, and you're talking the UCLA,UNC, Kansas type jobs... i can't really see him leaving Wiskey at this point though, he'll finish up there as far as I could see right now.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to get rolling: There are lots of reasons for the early struggles of Michigan State -- injuries that have hobbled Goran Suton and Delvon Roe are just two of them -- but it doesn't help that Kalin Lucas isn't making shots. The sophomore guard is 5-of-22 from the field in MSU's past two games (an unimpressive win over Wichita State and blowout loss to North Carolina), and on the season he's shooting 15.4 percent from 3-point range. That's not good, and it needs to get better if the Spartans are to avoid a scare from Bradley on Sunday.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Making me look bad mr. Lucas.. i've been singing your praises since last year, saying you'd leadMSU to the promised land... and you're looking like a fluke right now.[/font]

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Questioning Bo Ryan...
laugh.gif
Give me a break...

you don't consider wisconsin a big enough program? there's only a handful of jobs i consider better, and you're talking the UCLA, UNC, Kansas type jobs... i can't really see him leaving Wiskey at this point though, he'll finish up there as far as I could see right now.
To me their just a tier below the bigger programs.

I'm headed to Rupp...we've been playing good ball lately, but Michael Porter has been cleared to play and we'll be w/o one of our best defendersand a starter in Ramon Harris.

As Porter prepares to suit up, and possibly even start, in one of Kentucky's biggest early-season tests, the long-term prognosis for Harris is less certain. He was walking and visited his teammates during practice this week, but coach Billy Gillispie said it's too soon to consider when -- and even if -- he'll be able to play again this season.

A news release sent later Friday from UK's medical staff was more optimistic that Harris could return to practice at some point this season. He has symptoms of muscular pain in his neck and back and must wear a protective cervical collar.

"You're talking about guys having tingling in their fingers and toes," Gillispie said. "Basketball's really important, but it's not nearly as important as those kind of things."

Back
Top Bottom