The Book Of Eli: *Question* && Whats your take on the film?

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Yeah i think people are dissecting every single little scene a little too much

They showed his eyes at the end.....his bible was in braile....he was blind relax no reason to feel deceived.

Whether he's blind or not is not the issue here, I'm saying it wasn't "obvious" that he was blind like people are insinuating. Dude clearly acted like he could see $#@$
laugh.gif
If God helped him maneuver around like a regular man, clearly he wasn't as blind as we're making him out to be. 

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Yeah i think people are dissecting every single little scene a little too much

They showed his eyes at the end.....his bible was in braile....he was blind relax no reason to feel deceived.

Whether he's blind or not is not the issue here, I'm saying it wasn't "obvious" that he was blind like people are insinuating. Dude clearly acted like he could see $#@$
laugh.gif
If God helped him maneuver around like a regular man, clearly he wasn't as blind as we're making him out to be. 

Originally Posted by jbone2308

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by RoOk

Discussing it with friends, for those who have watched the film, did you come to the conclusion that he was blind?

I would like to know ya' input on this because I believe he was (Looking at the clues in the movie) but many swear he wasn't.
Those that question if he was blind are or not are a bunch of morons
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by calibeebee

he was blind. read the script. It says in the script that he was completely blind. /end blind discussion. Anyways I loved the movie. Very entertaining.

Originally Posted by Joe Cool23

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

a religious friend told me that he was blind and that he had the ability to do all of those things because he was being "guided by the divine" so he can deliver the package to the right place 
nerd.gif
This is the right answer. I could give you examples if the movie was still fresh on my mind.
tired.gif

I thought it had to deal with him being able to stare into the sun and knowing that the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. I caught on to the fact he was blind very early so that helped.

Not saying any of you are wrong, more so shoddy writing and directing, butttt

Several times during the film he stares at something and assesses what's going on just off the strength of SEEING it happen.

For instance: when (from high up on the bridge) he sees the motorcycle gang murder and rape that traveling couple.  He later sees the leader of the gang enter the bar he is in and tenses up, before he ever interacts with the leader (so it can't be said something else, like the sound of his voice gave it away)that man on the road" or something along those lines.

Several other times he also peeks out through a window/etc, or speaks to someone approaching before they've ever made a sound.  He also looks people dead in the eye when he speaks to them.

Based off the writing/directing/portrayals of the character, it doesn't matter what it might say in the script, Denzel was not blind.  He just knew how to read braille. (He says as much, in that he spent years learning and memorizing the book)
and he tells the leader "you're the one who murdered

He was blind fam, thats why they showed his eyes up close at the end when he was quoting the scripture.  He read the bible everyday to memorization and he knew he had to complete his mission God put him on.  That's why the movie is called The Book of Eli, it's his story of allowing the Word of God to exist in the new world.

He LOOKS at things.  the only argument any of you have is "fam his bible was in braille! in braille fam!!!!"

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

i didnt realize he was blind. because how did he know when dude pulled out a gun on him after the old people had those graves in the back...how did he know those were graves. i have to watch it again. i thought it was a great movie. denzel is such a great actor. when he got shot in the stomach...that whole scene to me was just like 
eek.gif

This.

The bridge rape and murder scene.

Him identifying the leader of the murderers later.

Him LOOKING at things and knowing whats going on.

Argue all you want, that's fine, but the evidence is overwhelming that he could see.  I mean he was seeing all movie long.

If the twist was in fact that he was blind as all of you who claim it's so obvious say, then I'm sorry but that's stupid.  because for the first 99% of that movie, he was not a blind man.  Nothing he did implied that.

+##!, the fact alone that he could see the sun tells you he wasn't blind.

Discussing it with friends, for those who have watched the film, did you come to the conclusion that he was blind?

I would like to know ya' input on this because I believe he was (Looking at the clues in the movie) but many swear he wasn't.
Those that question if he was blind are or not are a bunch of morons
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

he was blind. read the script. It says in the script that he was completely blind. /end blind discussion. Anyways I loved the movie. Very entertaining.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

a religious friend told me that he was blind and that he had the ability to do all of those things because he was being "guided by the divine" so he can deliver the package to the right place 
nerd.gif
This is the right answer. I could give you examples if the movie was still fresh on my mind.
tired.gif

I thought it had to deal with him being able to stare into the sun and knowing that the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. I caught on to the fact he was blind very early so that helped.

Not saying any of you are wrong, more so shoddy writing and directing, butttt

Several times during the film he stares at something and assesses what's going on just off the strength of SEEING it happen.

For instance: when (from high up on the bridge) he sees the motorcycle gang murder and rape that traveling couple.  He later sees the leader of the gang enter the bar he is in and tenses up, before he ever interacts with the leader (so it can't be said something else, like the sound of his voice gave it away)that man on the road" or something along those lines.

Several other times he also peeks out through a window/etc, or speaks to someone approaching before they've ever made a sound.  He also looks people dead in the eye when he speaks to them.

Based off the writing/directing/portrayals of the character, it doesn't matter what it might say in the script, Denzel was not blind.  He just knew how to read braille. (He says as much, in that he spent years learning and memorizing the book)
and he tells the leader "you're the one who murdered

He was blind fam, thats why they showed his eyes up close at the end when he was quoting the scripture.  He read the bible everyday to memorization and he knew he had to complete his mission God put him on.  That's why the movie is called The Book of Eli, it's his story of allowing the Word of God to exist in the new world.

He LOOKS at things.  the only argument any of you have is "fam his bible was in braille! in braille fam!!!!"

i didnt realize he was blind. because how did he know when dude pulled out a gun on him after the old people had those graves in the back...how did he know those were graves. i have to watch it again. i thought it was a great movie. denzel is such a great actor. when he got shot in the stomach...that whole scene to me was just like 
eek.gif

This.

Argue all you want, that's fine, but the evidence is overwhelming that he could see.  I mean he was seeing all movie long.

If the twist was in fact that he was blind as all of you who claim it's so obvious say, then I'm sorry but that's stupid.  because for the first 99% of that movie, he was not a blind man.  Nothing he did implied that.

This.

He heard the girl screaming at the bridge rape scene.  He heard the motorcycles coming.  He also heard the leader call his boys.  He knew it was the leader by voice.  The leader then walked up and said hey that was my cat.  Voice recognition.

When the guy pulled the gun on him you can hear the gun as its being raised by the old man.

Every minute detail can be argued.  His eyes were that of a blind man....his bible was braile....dude was blind sorry if that ruined the movie for you

This.

He heard the girl screaming at the bridge rape scene.  He heard the motorcycles coming.  He also heard the leader call his boys.  He knew it was the leader by voice.  The leader then walked up and said hey that was my cat.  Voice recognition.

When the guy pulled the gun on him you can hear the gun as its being raised by the old man.

Every minute detail can be argued.  His eyes were that of a blind man....his bible was braile....dude was blind sorry if that ruined the movie for you

you ever feel the sun on your face?
without looking?
that's what i think was going on when he "looked" out the window.

obviously he's not your average blind man...
he's been this way for at least 30 years so let's assume he picked up a few things along the way- and add the fact that he's doing the work of God things will go in his favor.

the case of the rape and murder at the bridge or whatever can be argued any way- he smelled/heard what was going on.....
and at the water bar he recognized the dude's scent/voice

rewatch the movie-
i had the same doubts in my mind

but rewatch it and you'll see little mannerisms that clue you in

you ever feel the sun on your face?
without looking?
that's what i think was going on when he "looked" out the window.

obviously he's not your average blind man...
he's been this way for at least 30 years so let's assume he picked up a few things along the way- and add the fact that he's doing the work of God things will go in his favor.

the case of the rape and murder at the bridge or whatever can be argued any way- he smelled/heard what was going on.....
and at the water bar he recognized the dude's scent/voice

rewatch the movie-
i had the same doubts in my mind

but rewatch it and you'll see little mannerisms that clue you in

Two things to consider, he was completely blind as a human, but he was not spiritually blind.   

2 Corinthians 5:7   For we live by faith, not by sight. 

This comes from the Script of the Book of Eli which can be found here

Code:
     ELI Pay close attention and write down every word exactly as I say it.                    Eli removes his goggles. Solara can't believe what she sees.                    His eyes are pale, milky-white, dead. TOTALLY BLIND.

Two things to consider, he was completely blind as a human, but he was not spiritually blind.   

2 Corinthians 5:7   For we live by faith, not by sight. 

This comes from the Script of the Book of Eli which can be found here

Code:
     ELI Pay close attention and write down every word exactly as I say it.                    Eli removes his goggles. Solara can't believe what she sees.                    His eyes are pale, milky-white, dead. TOTALLY BLIND.

i disagree with the obviously blind statements...all the interaction with the dude at the pawn shop. i just thought dude could read braile....since it was the only bible left. how did he see that damn rat...how did he shoot that bird...how did he hide the bible...

i disagree with the obviously blind statements...all the interaction with the dude at the pawn shop. i just thought dude could read braile....since it was the only bible left. how did he see that damn rat...how did he shoot that bird...how did he hide the bible...

Book_of_Eli_Washington_closeup_thumb-thumb-550x309-18649.jpg

425.TheBookOfEli.Washington.denzel.lc.011310.jpg

book_of_eli_kunis_washington_window_guns_2010.jpg

Book-of-Eli-Denzel-Mila-560-thumb-560xauto-28908.jpg

600full-the-book-of-eli-screenshot.jpg

book_of_eli_19.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

book-of-eli.jpg

He's LOOKING at things.

Look I've seen the movie twice. I get there are little things that are supposed to clue you in to his being blind (i.e. he bumps into things.) cool.

But there are as many if not more examples of his not being blind.  i.e. He looks at $$#@!

And I'm not buying smell, let alone "the sound of his voice" being what alerted him to the gang leader.  He watched that $$#@ go down.  That's how he knew who it was.

Book_of_Eli_Washington_closeup_thumb-thumb-550x309-18649.jpg

425.TheBookOfEli.Washington.denzel.lc.011310.jpg

book_of_eli_kunis_washington_window_guns_2010.jpg

Book-of-Eli-Denzel-Mila-560-thumb-560xauto-28908.jpg

600full-the-book-of-eli-screenshot.jpg

book_of_eli_19.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

book-of-eli.jpg

He's LOOKING at things.

Look I've seen the movie twice. I get there are little things that are supposed to clue you in to his being blind (i.e. he bumps into things.) cool.

But there are as many if not more examples of his not being blind.  i.e. He looks at $$#@!

And I'm not buying smell, let alone "the sound of his voice" being what alerted him to the gang leader.  He watched that $$#@ go down.  That's how he knew who it was.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

roll.gif
Nako you're killing me over here!
(no shot(s))

I'm saying though 
laugh.gif
I understand what the movie's going for but it's execution is ******ed.

The opening scene is him sniping a cat with an arrow while it's raining ash.  You can't smell/hear %%%+ in that situation, plus he's wearing a gasmask and hood. c'mon son
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

roll.gif
Nako you're killing me over here!
(no shot(s))

I'm saying though 
laugh.gif
I understand what the movie's going for but it's execution is ******ed.

The opening scene is him sniping a cat with an arrow while it's raining ash.  You can't smell/hear %%%+ in that situation, plus he's wearing a gasmask and hood. c'mon son
roll.gif

I thought it was pretty obvious he was blind, now Im starting to rethink it myself...
laugh.gif

Ima watch it again later this week.

I thought it was pretty obvious he was blind, now Im starting to rethink it myself...
laugh.gif

Ima watch it again later this week.

All the points being made in here...feel the same way, it wasnt obvious to me, ole boy was lookin at stuff all throughout the movie....not saying he wasnt blind but cmon

Great movie either way

All the points being made in here...feel the same way, it wasnt obvious to me, ole boy was lookin at stuff all throughout the movie....not saying he wasnt blind but cmon

Great movie either way

Back
Top Bottom