Teixeira to Yankees...

Originally Posted by JD617

If the Red Sox don't make it, I'm gonna be rooting so hard for a Marlins-Rays WS.
laugh.gif

If a Florida team wins and no watches, does it make a sound?

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by Yoda

Thats why if we get all of the Team Yankee guys together for a game, there will be NO drinking in the stadium.
laugh.gif
You can drink...just do it stealthily

Word to this dude who had a bottle of beer hidden inside a loaf of bread
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eek.gif

You can't even be mad at that.. Ingenuity at its FINEST.

WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!
WE WANT MANNY!

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

where did yall get that u cant sign more then 3 type A Free agents from?
There's a cap on how many you can sign depending on how many free agents qualify for Type A/B status... The limit is three, unless you lostmore than that from your own team... In which case you can sign as many as you lost...

The only ones I can think of the Yankees lost that qualify are Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina, and Andy Pettitte... DeMaso Marte qualified, but they kept him... DidI miss somebody else?

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

briannnnn Yankees fan:
I don't even want to think about the price of concessions at the new Stadium
sick.gif
This makes me happy.

Girls with purses and cargo pants FTW
I have to admit...the females that come out to games =
1ce3538b6520cdda5292821d6badfb27b1adb8a.jpg

Two drunk dudes were hitting on these girls on the 4 while we were at the Yankee Stadium stop...they all left the train together by 86 St
laugh.gif

briannnnn:
I have to admit...the females that come out to games =
1ce3538b6520cdda5292821d6badfb27b1adb8a.jpg

Two drunk dudes were hitting on these girls on the 4 while we were at the Yankees Stadium stop...they all left the train together by 86 St
laugh.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Yankees are OFFICIALLY tryna buy a championship. Man if they don't make it to the World Series next year all these off season signings were a complete FAILURE.
Last time I checked it's a complete failure if we don't win the World Series ANY year for Yankees fans.

Nice try though.

GAMMONS RESPONDS
They are, after all, the Yankees, as Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman have so boldly reminded us.

Scott Boras knew that, and knew that no matter where the Red Sox went, he could always come back to the Yankees and get $10 million more because everyoneknew how much Theo Epstein coveted Mark Teixeira. That's the way it is. All theinnuendo about Teixeira not caring for Larry Lucchino and John Henry doesn't really matter, because Teixeira was going to New York. To the Yankees with abrand new Bloomberg ballpark and two Steinbrenner brothers who are sick and tired of hearing how the Red Sox have twice as many world championships as TheBombers in the 21st Century.

The Yankees patiently waited for a year and allowed Cashman to pass on JohanSantana so that when he rebuilt the Yankees, it would not be at any expense to the farm system he wanted to build. So the Yanks finished eight games behindthe Tampa Bay Rays for one season? And, by the way, there may not be three free agents next year worth anything close to $423.5 million (the total amount ofmoney in the contracts given to Teixeira, CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett).

Now the Yankees are back in the high life, again, in a position where they will be the heavy favorites with the pressure that anything less than winning the2009 World Series will be considered failure. Just ask Joe Girardi.

The Yankees have the highest-paid first baseman, highest-paid third baseman, highest-paid shortstop, highest-paid catcher, highest-paid starting pitcher andthe highest-paid reliever in the history of the game. Feel sorry for the Red Sox? No. Feel sorry for the Brewers and the Blue Jays and the Rangers? Yes,because for all the Yankees may pay in luxury tax and revenue-sharing money, for all the fannies they put in opposing teams' seats, for all Bud Selig doesto try to level the playing field, the Yankees are back to being a smartly-run business. And their business is to turn as much of the baseball business aspossible into a game of fattening frogs for snakes, as Sonny Boy Williamson once put it.

We have months to see how the Yankees mesh, what scabs they develop, what injuries they must overcome, whether the expectations become joyless even for thejoy that Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Sabathia bring to the ballpark every day. We do know that the Red Sox andMets are back in the Yankees' shadow; Boston still has close to $40 million to work with, the Mets claim their baseball operations will not be harmed bythe Bernie Madoff scandal, even though Madoff handled some of the revenues the Mets put aside to fund deferred and some other payments.

As much as the Red Sox obsess about the Yankees, the Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira signings -- yes, historians, Teixeira's father was a high schoolteammate and friend of Bucky Dent -- this winter readjusts the landscape. The fact is that in Red Sox Nation, there were a growing number of fans who were morelike George Steinbrenner than they wish to admit, where they thought what didn't happen for 86 years had become an annual right, misenthrops for whomanything less than winning the World Series was, using George's word, failure. Now they're reminded that the Red Sox cannot win the revenue war, andthat winning will continue to depend on the development of players like Lars Anderson, Jed Lowrie, ClayBuchholz, Michael Bowden and Justin Masterson. They can be reminded that last season Kevin Youkilis had three more extra-base hits than Teixeira, who had one more than Dustin Pedroia.

This isn't like the Brewers not even getting a first-round pick for Sabathia. Even if the Red Sox change their minds about Jason Varitek and his representation by Boras (having turned down $10 million in arbitrationfor Varitek, Boras has to convince a team to give up a top draft pick and pay Varitek), they can take someone else's bad contract if a catcher comes in thepackage. They can afford to chance an investment in John Smoltz and/or Brad Penny. They can sign Rocco Baldelli if the doctors think it would be wise. Boras did a great job pointing out howthe Red Sox could be wounded by not shelling out big money for Teixeira, but if MikeLowell and David Ortiz come back strong physically in 2009, they find a catcherand Josh Beckett gets healthy again, they can chase the Yankees and come October havetwo top-caliber starters in Beckett and Jon Lester. Come June, when a couple ofteams have to move payroll because of the economy's impact on that team's or owner's finances, there may be some very good players like Magglio Ordonez to be repossessed.

But the Red Sox can also resume the role of underdog, which to an organization priding itself on the flow of self-developed talent isn't a bad thing. Wehave seen how well Ben Cherington, the Red Sox's vice president of player personnel, and Mike Hazen, Boston's director of player development, havebuilt a player development environment which has led to many seamless transitions from the minor leagues into the Fenway Park pressure cooker. And that willcontinue.

It is more difficult these days, because the Yankees are not only rich and abetted by the mayor of their city, but the Steinbrenners have turned theoperation over to a very smart man in Cashman, who with Hal Steinbrenner's empowerment seems to be able to run the business without the irrationality ofHank Steinbrenner and team president Randy Levine.

The aghast bad-for-the game thing doesn't work. This is the system the Yankees have and the NBA's Lakers and the NFL's Giants do not. It maycause a lot of owners to sit tight and make the middle-class of free agents squirm for the next two months, while the lower-class crawls. This is the baseballworld; the union cares only for what Sabathia and Teixeira make, reminiscent of the Mike Barnicle/Pat Buchanan observation on MSNBC's Morning Joe thatWashington focuses its bailouts on people who take showers before going to work rather than those people who need a shower after they work.

Boras doesn't want to be the good guy, and doesn't care who gets burned as long as his clients get the best deal; didn't Edward Bennett Williamsdo the best he could for Joe McCarthy and Sirhan Sirhan?

Didn't Hal Steinbrenner invest $423.5 million to buy back the we're-the-Yankees-and-you're-not swagger? Look at it this way: The Yankees willstill be helping some small-market owners pay down their interest.

Will the notion that it is wealth, not meritocracy, that earns championsips and Illinois senate seats damage baseball? Given the economy the next couple ofyears, perhaps when viewed in relation to the NFL's parity it will.

For now, it's the American way. Wal-Mart eats up small-family businesses. The Yankees eat up the Brewers and the Indians, and there may not be an ownerin any sport who given the opportunity afforded to Hal Steinbrenner wouldn't have done the same thing.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

I hope this doesn't mean we're gonna trade Juan Miranda.

Please keep this guy and move him to the OF. PLEASE.
Juan Miranda sucks and isnt athletic enough to handle first let alone any OF position.

eek.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

briannnnn wrote:
Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

I hope this doesn't mean we're gonna trade Juan Miranda.

Please keep this guy and move him to the OF. PLEASE.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if his days are numbered...

The Yankees have their OF of the future in Austin Jackson and a catcher/DH/1B of the future in Jesus Montero...they may end up peddling Miranda in exchange for a pitcher

Yea, I think you might be right, but I've read he can play an OF position. I just think his upside as a bat is tremendous..

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

If the Yankees somehow got Manny after trading away some players then signing him....
The swag of the Yankees next year when they stepped on the field would be
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Manny hitting a game winning HR vs Red Sox would be
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif

He could walk around the bases then do this at home plate...
kap9g8.jpg

Then dust his shoes off in the Red Sox dugout direction
roll.gif
roll.gif

pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

There's a cap on how many you can sign depending on how many free agents qualify for Type A/B status... The limit is three, unless you lost more than that from your own team... In which case you can sign as many as you lost...

The only ones I can think of the Yankees lost that qualify are Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina, and Andy Pettitte... DeMaso Marte qualified, but they kept him... Did I miss somebody else?
ya where yall get that info from tho?

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

There's a cap on how many you can sign depending on how many free agents qualify for Type A/B status... The limit is three, unless you lost more than that from your own team... In which case you can sign as many as you lost...

The only ones I can think of the Yankees lost that qualify are Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina, and Andy Pettitte... DeMaso Marte qualified, but they kept him... Did I miss somebody else?
ya where yall get that info from tho?
I find most of the free agent market kinda stuff at MLBtraderumors.com ... Some from a Rangers blog I read, some from Baseball America, some fromESPN.com...

[h1]Teixeira Had Higher Offer From Nationals?[/h1]
By Ben Jones [December 25 at 10:38am CST]

Roch Kubatko on MASNSports.com is reporting that the WashingtonNationals offered about $5MM more to first baseman Mark Teixeira than the Yankees did, even though Teixeira struck a deal with the Yankeeson Tuesday.

Kubatko adds that the Nationals would have gone even higher, but they were never given a chance to compete with the Yankees' offer. Heguesses that it wasn't all about the money after all.

Kubatko writes that the Baltimore Orioles are still looking to add another bat to the lineup, possibly a first baseman, outfielder ordesignated hitter.

Well written article by Gammons. Now TBONE can get off his back.
laugh.gif

The Yankees eat up the Brewers and the Indians, and there may not be an owner in any sport who given the opportunity afforded to Hal Steinbrenner wouldn't have done the same thing.
And that's the bottom line.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

[h1]Teixeira Had Higher Offer From Nationals?[/h1]
By Ben Jones [December 25 at 10:38am CST]

Roch Kubatko on MASNSports.com is reporting that the Washington Nationals offered about $5MM more to first baseman Mark Teixeira than the Yankees did, even though Teixeira struck a deal with the Yankees on Tuesday.

Kubatko adds that the Nationals would have gone even higher, but they were never given a chance to compete with the Yankees' offer. He guesses that it wasn't all about the money after all.

Kubatko writes that the Baltimore Orioles are still looking to add another bat to the lineup, possibly a first baseman, outfielder or designated hitter.

If that is the case, that whole Salary Cap rubbish is thrown out.

Nobody wants to play in DC.

Back
Top Bottom