STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

My coach has me doing something weird today. He had me pause at parallel and descend to the bottom and then squat up.

I'm used to just pausing my squats at the bottom. Kinda weird to me. I don't like holding my position at parallel. I had to drop the amount of weight I normally use.

It's more beneficial IMO to pause above your greatest depth. If you pause at the bottom of your ROM, it just allows yourself to rest. Muscles are more engaged when you're above your greatest depth.

I hear you. My knees did not enjoy it though. I guess I depend on going to the bottom to take the pressure off of my knees.

I was looking into that this week too

At first I was looking at these

But then I ended up going with these

Just make sure if you get the second one, that you size down from the recommended size. They supposedly stretch.

Just make sure if you get the second one, that you size down from the recommended size. They supposedly stretch.

Was there a reason you went with the sleeves over the wraps? Just asking since i have done no research at all.

Was there a reason you went with the sleeves over the wraps? Just asking since i have done no research at all.

I heard the wraps are kinda uncomfortable to the point where you might need to take it off and rewrap between sets. Also I try to keep the bar close to me on my lifts and I think the wraps would get in the way. The sleeves just look lighter and more mobile and that suits me better for my needs.

I think I might get the wraps eventually though for squatting heavy singles.

I heard the wraps are kinda uncomfortable to the point where you might need to take it off and rewrap between sets. Also I try to keep the bar close to me on my lifts and I think the wraps would get in the way. The sleeves just look lighter and more mobile and that suits me better for my needs.

I think I might get the wraps eventually though for squatting heavy singles.
Appreciate that thanks

Last edited:
It's more beneficial IMO to pause above your greatest depth. If you pause at the bottom of your ROM, it just allows yourself to rest. Muscles are more engaged when you're above your greatest depth.
I just like pause squats period. Removing the stretch reflex is huge for making things just a little bit harder.

I also like squat to parallel -> pause -> squat to depth -> pause again at parallel -> finish. 

Sleeves are easier to wear throughout a workout, and they provide much less assistance in the squat. Wraps need to be re done every set, and provide a lot more assistance. 

Plus if you're training for a powerlifting meet, wraps are generally disallowed in raw categories, knee sleeves are not always disallowed.

Sleeves are easier to wear throughout a workout, and they provide much less assistance in the squat. Wraps need to be re done every set, and provide a lot more assistance. 

Plus if you're training for a powerlifting meet, wraps are generally disallowed in raw categories, knee sleeves are not always disallowed.
Appreciate that. Not doing a meet just need some support . The sleeves look like the ones I'm going to get

I have minor knee pains sometimes when I squat and I dont go heavy at all. I front squat, maybe 185 on a good day. Usually stick to 135 or 155 and go for reps.

DL for the first time and I focused on not arching my back more when I get up. Feels good.

I have minor knee pains sometimes when I squat and I dont go heavy at all. I front squat, maybe 185 on a good day. Usually stick to 135 or 155 and go for reps.

DL for the first time and I focused on not arching my back more when I get up. Feels good.
How are you positioning your feet?

What direction is your knees going down and going up? (Outwards, Frontwards, Inwards)

Last edited:
I go a little wider than shoulder, and I poke my feet to the side a bit, I try to go where my knees are going and for the most part its a bit outwards, never straight.

Overdid it on bench yesterday. Now my shoulder is little tender when I raise my arm to about shoulder level or a little above. Rotator or impingement?

I've had the the hardest time stabilizing my left shoulder. Starting to think it's a nerve issue.
mean.gif

Overdid it on bench yesterday. Now my shoulder is little tender when I raise my arm to about shoulder level or a little above. Rotator or impingement?

I've had the the hardest time stabilizing my left shoulder. Starting to think it's a nerve issue.
mean.gif
Probably impingement. 

You guys with any squat/bench/deadlift form questions etc. should check out Mark Bells YT channel, dude has top level lifters on there dropping major knowledge. Layne Norton just did a good video on squats.

Big *** dude I know at the gym was deadlifting (what appeared to be one of his first times).. Had his feet almost sumo width and a super wide grip... Pulling 135-185 and was having trouble.. It was painful to watch since I consider DL one of my strengths.. Wanted to say something but just let him be.

Back
Top Bottom