Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

"Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release on May 26, 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017. The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere in December. In the popular holiday moviegoing corridor, it smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861M and the third biggest global release ever with $1.887B."
I'm pretty sure all the originals came out in December too.
Disney going for that nostalgia factor while also giving themselves more time.
The disembodied head of Walt is a shrewd one.
Episodes I-VI all came out on the third week of May.
Oh right. The same month as George's bday. Don't know where I got the idea they came out in december from 
laugh.gif

I heard it's being stored in Magic Kingdom and that he's been trying to find a new body for years now...

[QUOTE url="[URL]https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-episode-viii-pushed-back-to-december-2017/[/URL]"]
"Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release on May 26, 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017. The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere in December. In the popular holiday moviegoing corridor, it smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861M and the third biggest global release ever with $1.887B."

Episodes I-VI all came out on the third week of May.
Oh right. The same month as George's bday. Don't know where I got the idea they came out in december from :lol:  
[/quote]

:lol: I'm not opposed to Star Wars = Xmas season going forward though. It'll make for a nice tradition. CBM = summer, SW = winter

The first Star Wars was supposed to be released in December 1976 but got moved to May 1977 due to production delays.

Whos role is getting expanded though? You would think the main 3 would have big roles in the second movie no? What are they trying to kill off the most interesting new character again? Poe dameron?

Whos role is getting expanded though? You would think the main 3 would have big roles in the second movie no? What are they trying to kill off the most interesting new character again? Poe dameron?

They're going to introduce new characters, just like any other sequel. Empire added Palpatine, Yoda, Fett, and Lando.

This one will add a couple characters, plus add in Luke doing stuff now (which basically just takes the place of Han I suppose) So they probably made sure to add in a couple extra spots for Poe, Kylo, Finn and Rey to make sure they don't get lost in the shuffle. I also suspect they add some work for Phasma.

i think its all marketing

perhaps they even knew ahead of time that they were gonna change the news
or maybe it was based on ticket sales

all that storyline & character stuff arent last minute realizations

Moving the release date is a straight money move. I dont buy roles expanding and other things. This trilogy was a given to be made. Im sure all the movies have been thought out for the most part.

Basically, I find it harder to believe Trevorrow or somebody else in the writer's room just had this genius idea that changed the shape of the movie and necessitated months of more time to push back pre-production.

I'd sooner believe a decision from Kennedy caused things to drastically change than expanding roles.

Last edited:
This move is of course about money they broke records by putting a big movie in a empty slot & they'll do it again this Christmas & then the Christmas after that but I also believe they saw what was well recieved & said let's add more here & there....

Does the script have an official co-writer or is it all Rian?

I can believe they're spending extra time revising or punching it up, especially if it is all Rian. It may have been good for JJ's praise but maybe they need to tweak it to fit the bigger picture or just work in ideas from a fresh set of eyes. Shooting for a May '17 release seemed like a quick turnaround (though Rian could've been working on the script for a long time for all I know).

Last edited:
As I was watchin Rebels, I got to thinkin of a story I'd love to see developed.

Be it cartoon, live action show, or film, I'd love a dark side, Sith, dark Jedi plot that shows them as the "right" side.

No heroes, or happy endings, or fluffy finishes, just the POV of a dark side user/follower that shows their motivations, their beliefs, and paints the opposing side as the oppressors.

Jacen's story first made me think of it, I would love someone to take a storyline like that and run with it.

Do it 100 years before Menace, all new characters, etc and just give us that glimpse for a change.

Star Wars is so vast, we have so much material to choose from, but all of it from the Hero perspective. You can do a full, complete story from the other side and make it totally interesting.

Hopefully we get somethin like this someday.

I've always said I wouldn't be surprised if her parent were Pre Viszla and Bo Katan :nerd:

Last edited:
Just finished the Clone Wars season 2 finale and WHEW......

This series is [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

I thought I would hate Asohka but she been putting in work :smokin

Can't wait for Darth Maul to glo on ****** :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom