Sean Taylor dead at the age of 24.

Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, a former teammate of Taylor's at the
University of Miami, said, "He was kind of a wild child, like myself,
but life changed for Sean after he had his baby girl. Fatherhood really
changed him. He grew up and matured."

O'Reilly was trying so hard to talk about his past run-ins with the law and "beefs" that Sean had. Disgusting.
smh.gif

His father is one strong man to say that he isn't mad at whoever did this and God will take care of him. Takes one helluva man to be able to say thatwhether he means them or not. Especially since you know he has the ability to find the person himself and "take care of it". It would only benatural to feel that way and he's being the better man for not following that instinct. Props to him. Thoughts and prayers to his family.
tired.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Family will receive $600K insurance benefit[/h1]

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Updated: November 27, 2007

The family of slain Washington ******** safety Sean Taylor will receive a number of benefits, including a $600,000 life insurance policy, under terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players.

But according to NFL senior vice president of public relations Greg Aiello, the league has "no specific salary-cap rules" governing a player's death. And the NFL is still determining, Aiello said in an e-mail, the exact ramifications that Taylor's passing early Tuesday morning will have on his contract and on the ********' future salary cap.

Aiello said that Taylor's sister was named as the beneficiary of his life insurance policy.

Among the several other benefits available to his family: dependent medical insurance through the first game of 2008 through the "active player policy," and then five further years of coverage under the "continuing veteran policy"; $100,000 in a health reimbursement account for dependent health care after the expiration of the "continued veteran" coverage; $103,560 in a 401(k) plan; and a widow/children's death benefit that pays $9,000 per month for the first 48 months, then $3,600 per month until the child is 19 years old (or 23 years old if in college).

Taylor, 24, was not married, but he and his girlfriend had a 1-year-old daughter.

As is believed to have been the case with the Denver Broncos in the wake of the murder of cornerback Darrent Williams on Jan. 1, the ******** are not likely to realize much salary cap relief this season or in future years.

Taylor had a base salary of $1.125 million for 2007 and essentially had collected 12 weeks' worth of that, or $794,117. Washington will not be charged for the balance against its cap. His base salaries for the remaining years of the contract, which was signed when he was a first-round pick in the 2004 draft, were $865,000 (2008), $1.105 million (2009) and $1.345 million (2010). There were offseason workout bonuses of $150,000 each in 2008-09, and $39,715 for 2010.

The ******** technically are not liable for those base salaries or for the workout bonuses.

Aiello said that the remaining prorated amounts from signing or option bonuses already paid to Taylor will "accelerate" into Washington's salary cap for 2008. According to NFL Players Association documents, the prorated amounts for future seasons are $1.175 million each for 2008-09 and $128,000 for 2010. That would bring Taylor's salary-cap charge for 2008 to about $2.48 million.

Taylor's scheduled salary-cap charge for 2008 had been $2.19 million. So it appears that the recalculated salary-cap charge for 2008, because of the "accelerated" prorations, could be slightly higher than the initial one.

League officials still are determining what, if any, bonuses or incentives Taylor might have qualified for this season.

As the fifth overall player chosen in 2004, and one of only nine safeties to have been selected among the top 10 players in any draft over the past 20 years, Taylor signed a seven-year contract with a base value of about $18 million and a maximum worth of $40 million. He received an initial signing bonus of $7.2 million and then subsequent option bonuses of $4.475 million in 2005 and $640,000 in 2006.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3130491

RIP Sean you will be missed.

"We're getting beat bad in New England, and he's saying in the huddle, 'I don't care what the score is! Keep playing, keep playing.'Last week, before Thanksgiving, he's in the trainers' room, getting treatment, he's telling everyone in there to have a great Thanksgiving andenjoy the time with their family. That's a leader.''" L. Fletcher

Thought this was a very good article

By Jon Saraceno, USA TODAY

ASHBURN, Va. - Under a pine tree at ******** Park rested a bulletin board. On the makeshift "Rest in Paradise" memorial were photos of Sean Taylor,the player and the person. A white teddy bear wearing No. 21 lay on a pile of flower bouquets. Three candles sat near a cross. There was the weeping.
Two boys and their mother approached. One wore a child's version of a Washington helmet and carried a small rubber football under his arm. His brotherplaced a homemade card on the ground.

"Want to say a prayer?" asked Amanda White.

So, Gavin, 7, and Sebastian, 3 held hands and prayed for a man they had never met.

Do we really know any of our Sunday heroes? We read snippets and hear sound bites - and we know if they run afoul of the law. But, really, do we know anythingabout their lives, aspirations and dreams to make a better life? Their innermost fears?

We knew this about Taylor: He was one of the best - and most feared - players in the NFL. And it sounded as if he was on his way to becoming a better man andfather to his 18-month-old baby girl, Jackie.

"You can't be scared of death," he once said.

The 24-year-old Pro Bowl safety not only talked the talk, he walked the walk - for the final time straight into a bullet, in his home. This time Taylor was nomatch for another man, one-on-one. He was armed with a machete. The assailant carried a gun.

So, no, we didn't know Sean Taylor. He didn't trust the media or many others. Tuesday, I could better understand why as I perused the Internet readinggarbage about him. The nonsensical theme seemed to be this: If Taylor was murdered - even in his own home - he must have had it coming.

He had been involved in a gang-bang-style shootout, right?

He played football at The U, right?

He lived the life, right?

He was black, right?

He must guilty of something. .. right?

"People were very judgmental about this kid," said Eddie Anaya, an acquaintance who visited the memorial. "He was trying to change his life. Hewas a very humble guy. Always smiling. But a competitor. People judged him because of his past, because they think he's a thug from the ghetto. We all makemistakes. He was a family man. It's a sad day. But not because he was a *******. He was a human being."

At one time, Taylor was as reckless off the field as he was on it, a punishing hitter who missed tackles and assignments because of his hyper-aggressiveness.Once he spit on another NFL player. He had been charged with drunken driving.

He was young and immature when he left Miami four years ago, a player of unlimited potential and supreme ego. Coach Joe Gibbs said Tuesday, "He had anathletic arrogance about (him) that said, 'This is where I belong, on the big stage.' "

If you listened to those who knew Taylor, you realized he had made strides. He was becoming a leader in the locker room. He was more serious about hisprofession.

Not coincidentally, that came when the law was breathing fire down his collar, and after becoming a father. Clinton Portis, who had a close relationship withhim enhanced by their shared Hurricanes background, said his friend dreaded two things.

"When he got into trouble, he was so afraid of losing football that he walked the straight line," he said Tuesday on The John Thompson Show.

Taylor also was apprehensive about his daughter's future, or, as Portis said, "for him not to be around to see her grow up."

"I know that was a big fear of his," he said.

He did not say if Taylor explained the whys of his fears, or if they were rational. At moments like this there are too many questions, not enough answers.

Was his death the result of surprising an intruder - or was it retaliation for allegedly beating those he believed had stolen his property?

Why did Taylor, mending from a knee injury, return to his Florida home, one that recently had been burglarized by someone who left a knife on his bed?

Why wasn't his home's alarm system activated?

Why did the ******** leave him behind?

The last one bugged Taylor, too. According to Portis, Taylor's girlfriend, Jackie, said he complained about not traveling to Tampa last weekend. "Idon't think the team wanted him to fly because the (knee) might swell," Portis said. "But she said he kept asking, 'Why didn't they takeme?' "

Team chaplain Brett Fuller had an answer, one he shared with grieving teammates and coaches.

God wanted Sean Taylor.

awesome video downtown 43.

after another day, this is still a difficult and emotional experience..

the picture with Chief Zee is hard to look at.

once again prayers to Sean and his family.

Originally Posted by sole lovely

Originally Posted by Zierra28

Originally Posted by chungyAZ

The hardest hitting safety in the league. I couldn't believe it when i read about it this morning. I hope whoever did this gets theirs in the end. A sad day in football

RIP Sean Taylor

In the end? I hope they get it in the now.
damn... i went to the vigil tonight.. it was
frown.gif
it's something i'm never going to forget. he's someone i'm never going to forget...
Which 1 did you go to? My mother and I went to ashburn, then to FedEx tol sign the WPGC wall. Both atmospheres were so sad, but it was good to see all the support though.

Ashburn
frown.gif

i live like 4 minutes off LCP in the village

O ok then, I probably saw you. I didnt realize there were so many tolls, smh. I might not be back out there for a while.

MaxElite wrote:
you know, many of us have had an emotional attachments to our favorite sports teams for a long time and even though its just sports they still hold a place in our hearts. and when you support a team and the players on a daily basis for so many years they become a like extended family. you'll support and defend them no matter what. so when a person who is a big part of your emotional state is gone, it feels like you've lost a part of your family. i never knew sean taylor but i knew every week id pour my emotions out watching him and the skins. thats why this hurts to me.

may God rest his soul.
This is so well put Max. It should be like an official fans' statement.

Here's more from Wilbon....I don't like this one bit. To say he wasn't surprised that ST died? What the hell?

Dying Young, Black

By Michael Wilbon Wednesday, November 28, 2007; Page E01

If you're hoping to read about the on-field exploits of Sean Taylor, or a retrospective of his time with the Washington ********, it would probably bebetter if you cast your eyes to a piece elsewhere in this newspaper.

Seriously, you should stop right here.

Because we're going to have a different conversation in this space -- about the violent and senseless nature of the act that took his life, about trying tochange course when those around you might not embrace such a change, about dying young and black in America, about getting the hell out of Dodge if at allpossible.

I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Angry? Yes.Surprised? Not even a little. It was only in June 2006 that Taylor, originally charged with a felony, pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges afterbrandishing a gun during a battle over who took his all-terrain vehicles in Florida. After that, an angry crew pulled up on Taylor and his boys and pumped atleast 15 bullets into his sport-utility vehicle. So why would anybody be surprised? Had it been Shawn Springs, I would have been stunned. But not SeanTaylor.

It wasn't long after avoiding jail time and holding on to his football career that Taylor essentially said, "That's it, I'm out," to theworld of glamorized violence he seemed comfortable negotiating earlier. Anybody you talk to, from Coach Joe Gibbs to Jeremy Shockey, his college teammate, willcite chapter and verse as to how Taylor was changing his life in obvious ways every day. He had a daughter he took everywhere. Gibbs said he attended teamchapel services regularly. Everybody saw a difference, yet it didn't help him avoid a violent, fatal, tragic end.

Coincidence? We have no idea, not yet anyway. Could have been a random act, a break-in, something that happens every day in America, something that couldhappen to any one of us no matter how safe we think our neighborhood is. Could have been just that. But would it surprise me if it was more than that, if therewas a distinct reason Taylor was sleeping with a machete under his bed? A machete. Even though his attorney and friend Richard Sharpstein says his instinctstell him "this was not a murder or a hit," would it stun me if Taylor was specifically targeted? Not one bit.

You see, just because Taylor was changing his life, don't assume the people who pumped 15 bullets into his SUV a couple of years ago were in the process ofchanging theirs. Maybe it was them, maybe not. Maybe it was somebody else who had a beef with Taylor a year earlier, maybe not. Maybe it was retribution orenvy or some volatile combination.

Here's something we know: People close to Taylor, people he trusted to advise him, told him he'd be better off if he left South Florida, that anybodylooking for him could find him in the suburbs of Miami just as easily as they could have found him at the U a few years ago. I'm told that Taylor was toldto go north, to forget about Miami. I can understand why he would want to have a spot in or near his home town, but I sure wish he hadn't.

The issue of separating yourself from a harmful environment is a recurring theme in the life of black men. It has nothing to do with football, or Sean Tayloror even sports. To frame it as a sports issue is as insulting as it is naive. Most of us, perhaps even the great majority of us who grew up in big urbancommunities, have to make a decision at some point to hang out or get out.

The kid who becomes a pharmaceutical rep has the same call to make as the lawyer or delivery guy or accountant or sportswriter or football player: Cut offanybody who might do harm, even those who have been friends from the sandbox, or go along to get along.

Mainstream folks -- and, yes, this is a code word for white folks -- see high-profile athletes dealing with this dilemma and think it's specific to them,while black folks know it's everyday stuff for everybody, for kids with aspirations of all kinds -- even for a middle-class kid with a police-chief father,such as Taylor -- from South Central to Southeast to the South Side. Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't. Some can, some cannot. Often it'sgut-wrenching. Usually, it's necessary. For some, it takes a little bit too long.

A recently retired future Hall of Fame NFL player called me the day Taylor was drafted by the ********, essentially recruiting a mentor for Taylor, somebodywho knew D.C. well enough to tell Taylor what and who to avoid. The old pro thought Taylor wasn't that far from a pretty safe path but was worried aboutthe trouble that can find a kid here in D.C., and certainly in Miami. The old pro had all the right instincts, didn't he? Taylor was only 24 when he diedyesterday morning and from all credible accounts he seemed to be getting it in the last 18 months or so. But it's difficult to outrun the past, even with4.4 speed in the 40. Running away from the kind of trouble we're talking about is harder than running in quicksand.

It's senseless and tragic either way, much in the same way Len Bias's death was senseless and tragic, and sparked so much examination, much of itresented. I drove to ******** Park yesterday morning and left rather quickly. It was way too much like the aftermath of Bias's death. We, the media, werecamped out. Teammates walked in, not wanting to say anything, understandably. Some things are eerily similar. Bias was 22. Each had been with his institution,Bias at Maryland and Taylor with the ********, for four years. Everywhere you went in D.C. yesterday, Taylor was the conversation. And people of a certain age,from Dulles International Airport to Georgia Avenue, talked about how they were reminded of Bias's death. For many of us it's a defining moment in ourlives.

Of course, there are enormous differences. We were so much more innocent in June 1986, and Bias's death was a complete shock. There was no warning, no hintthat he had ever courted danger or that it had ever gone looking for him. And Bias, though unintentionally, harmed himself. Taylor, no matter what he mighthave been involved in at one time, was a victim in this violent episode, a man in his bedroom minding his own business.

But what they do share is dying too soon, unnecessarily so, while young and athletic, seemingly on top of the world. Though we're likely to struggle ingreat frustration to understand the circumstances of how Taylor left so soon, how dare we not put forth an honest if sometimes uncomfortable effort to examinehis life in some greater context than football.

O ok then, I probably saw you. I didnt realize there were so many tolls, smh. I might not be back out there for a while.

you probably took the shortest time way. there are other ways to go but i guess you picked the wrong one. lol where are you from?

just think that the tolls you paid were in seans memory
pimp.gif

Sean's father, Pedro, flew to Ashburn today and addressed the team this morningin the main auditorium here at what I am told was a highly emotional meeting. Pedro Taylor and other family members flew here but are no longer in thebuilding.

The ******** were touched by his gesture and are now moving forward in somethingclose to a normal Wednesday schedule, but obviously this is no normal day. It was a moving team meeting from what I gather.

The players are now shuttling back and forth to position meetings as I write this,but there will be no open locker room period around lunchtime. Those players comfortable with speaking about Sean, and what has already been another difficultday today, will do so.

Practice is still scheduled to begin around 2 pm, with a segment of that open tothe media. Coach Joe Gibbs is scheduled to speak around 4 pm, after practice.

Also, there are rumblings that the funeral will most likely be on Monday in Miami.Nothing is set at this point, again, but this is what people are hearing and what might make the most sense.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/*******sinsider/?hpid=topnews

"My thoughts and prayers go out to Sean Taylor's family," Brownstight end Kellen Winslow said. "The University of Miami is one big family and we lost a brother today. Sean and I had a special bond.

"We came into college together, we left for the NFL the same year and were drafted right next to each other. Sean's future was taken away from him bya senseless act of violence. I am at a loss for words to describe the pain I feel for Sean and his family right now."

Browns quarterback Ken Dorsey was moved as well.

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend and former teammate," Dorsey said. "Sean was an intense competitor and a great teammate [atMiami]. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones."

North Carolina coach Butch Davis, who recruited Taylor to play at Miami, said he remembered Taylor for his zest for the game.

"He energized his teammates with his love of football, his charismatic personality, and his willingness to compete at the highest level," the formerBrowns coach said. "It's a real tragedy to see his life end so suddenly and for no reason. I know he recently had a daughter who meant the world tohim, and my heart goes out to her and the rest of the Taylor family."

As much as wilbon's views are tasteless "at this time," they aren't off base ... the reality of the situation is that this looks like aplanned hit on his life by someone who knew where he lived, knew he was home, and knew he could get to him ... It is a horrible situation, but when the griefsettles, not only are the ******** screwed from a team and cap standpoint, but his past was probably the determining factor in the end of his life ... Wilbonis just jumping the gun a little, being too brash too close to his actual death

^ my thoughts exactly. I just now got around to reading his article a few minutes ago and I agree with you. Just a side note, it seemsthat Wilbon is more than overjoyed anytime he's presented with an opportunity to pull the race card. anyways...

like everybody else I still can't get over this. I'm a Cowboys fan but I still feel like I lost a friend. He was my favorite defensive player in theleague, such a joy to watch and he will be sorely missed. He seemed almost superhuman at times and to lose him like this is just another example of how fragilelife is. It's even more tragic that he had learned from his mistakes and was trying to make a new name for himself on and more importantly, off the field.Who knows what he could have accomplished if he was given the opportunity to live his life to it's potential. RIP Sean, it hurts to lose you this soon butyou lived your life to the fullest while you were here

M!ke

Back
Top Bottom