Riot in Brooklyn over cops murdering 16 year old boy.

Damn, this post has exploded faster than the uprisings in BK. I haven't read through all the comments but I'm sure it looks something like this. In one camp you have those skeptical of the official narrative privileging the NYPD's account. In this camp are those who invoke the illuminati and other conspiracies to explain our current state of existence. These folks begin from the (justified) assumption that the NYPD has waged a war on black and brown peoples, only to (problematically) insist that when it comes to relations with the police, black and brown peoples can do no wrong. In the other camp are those who articulate a liberal, idealized judgment that uprisings are only tollerable if "civil rights" are being violated. In fact, by referring to the uprisings in Brooklyn as "riots" they reproduce those same claims which configured black people struggling to find food in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina as "Looters" and white people doing the same as "survivors."  The defining feature of this camp is localized historical memory. These NTers struggle to situate this latest instance of police brutality within a century long battle against police injustice. These NTers also fail to note that so-called "riots" reflect the confluence of outrage against police brutality, concerns over impending displacement, job instability, among other concerns.  

I, for one, never give the benefit of the doubt to the police. Whether dealing with the NYPD or the police force within the presumed centers of liberal tolerance, I am always skeptical of officers who have been sanctioned by the state to protect and serve the vital assets of capitalism. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt when dealing with black and brown people. The assasination of Amadou Diallo and sodimization of Abener Louima are merely the most glaring instances of the everyday forms of oppression people of color face. It's not that I doubt that the police screamed "freeze" at Kimani Gray. I'm also not swayed by conspiratorial notions of the police planting the revolver on Gray after they shot him 7 times. I question the sequence of events, the description of the scene, and the presentation of an obstinate Kimani Gray that pervade the NYPD's account while saying nothing about just who were those two plainclothes police officers

At the same time, I would not come out to protest this latest instance of police aggression. And now we're talking about political strategy. I think my fellow brothers and sisters and those of us on the Left suffer from unchecked skepticism. As a result we lend our energy to questionable figures. That Kimani claims blood, has numerous run-in's with the law, and was a 16-year old carrying a revolver should have signaled that he was one of our lost boys. This is not to say that he is less human or that he doesn't deserve to be mourned. But to present him as yet another example of police brutality makes very little strategic sense. The uprisings quickly get presented as another example of black people without moral convictions and unable to distinguish between right and wrong. The commentary in this post reflects that. 

We now know that Rosa Parks' decision not to move to the back of that Montgommery bus was not an expression of individual choice. It was a deliberate strategy launched by the NAACP, E.D Nixon, among an extensive network of black organizers. Nixon originally selected a young Claudette Colvin, but because she was pregnant, Nixon rolled with Parks. Nixon was prescient enough to anticipate the conservative reaction had Colvin been the test case. The problem of racial segregation would have been colonized by tangential judgments about the moral profligacy of Colvin.

Similarly we must think strategically about who we elevate as our martyrs. 
and I think I skate nikes is trolling to make black people look bad, and the fools of NT (Ksteezy, etc.) have taken the bait and decided to join in on the black bashing....

Damn, this post has exploded faster than the uprisings in BK. I haven't read through all the comments but I'm sure it looks something like this. In one camp you have those skeptical of the official narrative privileging the NYPD's account. In this camp are those who invoke the illuminati and other conspiracies to explain our current state of existence. These folks begin from the (justified) assumption that the NYPD has waged a war on black and brown peoples, only to (problematically) insist that when it comes to relations with the police, black and brown peoples can do no wrong. In the other camp are those who articulate a liberal, idealized judgment that uprisings are only tollerable if "civil rights" are being violated. In fact, by referring to the uprisings in Brooklyn as "riots" they reproduce those same claims which configured black people struggling to find food in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina as "Looters" and white people doing the same as "survivors."  The defining feature of this camp is localized historical memory. These NTers struggle to situate this latest instance of police brutality within a century long battle against police injustice. These NTers also fail to note that so-called "riots" reflect the confluence of outrage against police brutality, concerns over impending displacement, job instability, among other concerns.  

I, for one, never give the benefit of the doubt to the police. Whether dealing with the NYPD or the police force within the presumed centers of liberal tolerance, I am always skeptical of officers who have been sanctioned by the state to protect and serve the vital assets of capitalism. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt when dealing with black and brown people. The assasination of Amadou Diallo and sodimization of Abener Louima are merely the most glaring instances of the everyday forms of oppression people of color face. It's not that I doubt that the police screamed "freeze" at Kimani Gray. I'm also not swayed by conspiratorial notions of the police planting the revolver on Gray after they shot him 7 times. I question the sequence of events, the description of the scene, and the presentation of an obstinate Kimani Gray that pervade the NYPD's account while saying nothing about just who were those two plainclothes police officers

At the same time, I would not come out to protest this latest instance of police aggression. And now we're talking about political strategy. I think my fellow brothers and sisters and those of us on the Left suffer from unchecked skepticism. As a result we lend our energy to questionable figures. That Kimani claims blood, has numerous run-in's with the law, and was a 16-year old carrying a revolver should have signaled that he was one of our lost boys. This is not to say that he is less human or that he doesn't deserve to be mourned. But to present him as yet another example of police brutality makes very little strategic sense. The uprisings quickly get presented as another example of black people without moral convictions and unable to distinguish between right and wrong. The commentary in this post reflects that. 

We now know that Rosa Parks' decision not to move to the back of that Montgommery bus was not an expression of individual choice. It was a deliberate strategy launched by the NAACP, E.D Nixon, among an extensive network of black organizers. Nixon originally selected a young Claudette Colvin, but because she was pregnant, Nixon rolled with Parks. Nixon was prescient enough to anticipate the conservative reaction had Colvin been the test case. The problem of racial segregation would have been colonized by tangential judgments about the moral profligacy of Colvin.

Great post

I just heard that there were official reports that he had no gun...

Not sure if it's true. Just passing along the info

Belly is a street classic, just like Paid In Full, Juice, South Central etc

I can agree with the sentimental value of Belly, but it's a terrible movie bro. Acting is pitiful. Writing bites Scarface hard. That's what happens when a music video director doesn't slow his role.

Juice and South Central on the other hand :smokin

I want to give you all of my reps for this post.

Don't know if this was said before but it's not only about this kid being black, it's also about him and others like him being poor. i come from a poor neighborhood in NYC and i can guarantee you that the cops are indiscriminant race wise when it comes to harrassing people in my neighborhood. People have to stop always only bringing the race thing into it and realize that it is also and perhaps more importantly an issue of the governments view on those of low socio ecomonic status. Obviously they have little or no regard for us and instruct their stooges in that mentality. Guess our lives don't matter much because we prly don't vote anyway.

UNfortunately we don't help ourselves AT ALL. I'm sure this kid is like every other idiotic 16 yr old quickdraw in my area. This is the kind of kid that i have to worry will stab my mom for her bag or try to jump me coming out of the subway. It's all well and good to try to rationalize why they're like that (terrible families etc) but the reality of the situation is that when it comes to your safety and that of loved ones it really doesnt matter why. All that matters is that most of them are reckless knuckleheads and prly will live up to all the horrible stereotypes placed on them by society. Then after he's gone his idiot friends will rip up the rite aid (in their own community) for fun. Of course they don't think that next day their sickly grandmas can't get their prescriptions from a destroyed store. idiots.

Don't know if this was said before but it's not only about this kid being black, it's also about him and others like him being poor. i come from a poor neighborhood in NYC and i can guarantee you that the cops are indiscriminant race wise when it comes to harrassing people in my neighborhood. People have to stop always only bringing the race thing into it and realize that it is also and perhaps more importantly an issue of the governments view on those of low socio ecomonic status. Obviously they have little or no regard for us and instruct their stooges in that mentality. Guess our lives don't matter much because we prly don't vote anyway.

UNfortunately we don't help ourselves AT ALL. I'm sure this kid is like every other idiotic 16 yr old quickdraw in my area. This is the kind of kid that i have to worry will stab my mom for her bag or try to jump me coming out of the subway. It's all well and good to try to rationalize why they're like that (terrible families etc) but the reality of the situation is that when it comes to your safety and that of loved ones it really doesnt matter why. All that matters is that most of them are reckless knuckleheads and prly will live up to all the horrible stereotypes placed on them by society. Then after he's gone his idiot friends will rip up the rite aid (in their own community) for fun. Of course they don't think that next day their sickly grandmas can't get their prescriptions from a destroyed store. idiots.

clapping.gif

the two officers were Black and Hispanic.

http://news.yahoo.com/3rd-day-protests-nyc-teen-shot-police-071910370.html

^^ o no I agree, it's stupid. I'm just saying when the last time you've seen a "smart" riot?

Last edited:
but why mess up your own community? Brooklyn going to look like Detroit if this ish keeps going on.

exactly that doesn't make any sense. listening to the breakfast club this morning some clown calls in talking about lets burn brooklyn down, and show the cops who is boss. Where in the hell do they get this crap from? Also the kid was a terror in that neighborhood robbing people and such. whether or not he was a blood, he was still a terror. They have to be smarter about who they fighting for, that is the real issue.

My cousin's former co worker pulled out a fake gun on cops about two years ago and got his *** lit up. He deserved that b/c a rational person wouldn't pull a stunt like that. Stand up for yourself and brothers and sisters of your community when you suffer injustice, don't riot and destroy the very community in which you live.

Damn....some bashes being thrown back on forth in this thread

From what I understand the kid had a gun on his person. If he was reaching for it or adjusting his pants, or whatever it is...he still had a gun.

Police in NYC take no joke to weapons, because they have seen too many officers die and they have familes and lives. This kid should of never been carrying a gun, and since he was that puts him deep in the wrong :smh: I feel bad for the kid losing his life, it is very unfortunate...but his rap sheet proves he was about that life.

Sorry for his family, and I wish they had a better grip on their childs life so that and not point would he ever of thought to carry a weapon. thats the problem with youth in NYC, bad parenting, bad role models....we got kids selling drugs and robbing people from age 12 :smh: :smh: :smh:

The riot is just ridiculous, that doesnt bring any positive attention to the issue. if they want positive attention call Al Sharpton and he will be more than willing to come down and rally in PEACE. Not injure innocent people, loot, and destroy OTHER peoples property.

Call me an Uncle Tom but this is a mindless display of ignorance and lack of responsibility which reflect poorly against the progress Brooklyn has made in recent years.

Tearing up the neighborhood pharmacy? What about all the sick kids who are on medication? 
mean.gif

^^ that'll shut the mouths of a lot of people

Lol not really.

In my many innocent experiences with them, they gave me the most problems... To tell you the truth the problem isn't the race for ME PERSONALLY it's the abuse of power by the police force.

I'd be up in arms if they killed a young unarmed kid of any race.
This whole debate has so many variables it's crazy. People going to be arguing this for a while.

Call me an Uncle Tom but this is a mindless display of ignorance and lack of responsibility which reflect poorly against the progress Brooklyn has made in recent years.

Tearing up the neighborhood pharmacy? What about all the sick kids who are on medication? 
mean.gif

defintally not. this was something that happened in flatbush....which has progressed nowhere....the brookyln your thinking about is DUMBO and Williamsburg....they all good.

^^ that'll shut the mouths of a lot of people

LOL WORD thread just got its shoulders' clapped.

makes no sense 

if you want to riot go out to the NYPD station and f that place up. 

lol nah they might as well shoot themselves if they're gonna do that. NYPD is shoot first. any brooklyn dudes wanna be about that life, RIP. but :smh: at this senseless violence. robbing in the name of justice is setting us back a couple hunnid.

mean.gif

defintally not. this was something that happened in flatbush....which has progressed nowhere....the brookyln your thinking about is DUMBO and Williamsburg....they all good.

those areas are :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom