Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

"The problem with J. Cole..." Meanwhile he consistently goes plat and sells out arenas.

Why cant it be you just not a fan? Is it really that many people trying to turn people into Cole fans? I know the cole fan/hater back and forth is a thing on the internet but I hate seeing that on NT.

People that dont like Future Migos etc dont go trying to get them to change whats clearly working for them so that they can become fans.

The convo gets super weird when it comes to Cole every time man lol

"The problem with J. Cole..." Meanwhile he consistently goes plat and sells out arenas.

Why cant it be you just not a fan? Is it really that many people trying to turn people into Cole fans? I know the cole fan/hater back and forth is a thing on the internet but I hate seeing that on NT.

People that dont like Future Migos etc dont go trying to get them to change whats clearly working for them so that they can become fans.

Cole is good. He could be better. With a couple of fixes that he stubbornly doesn’t want to do. That’s the frustrating part for some Cole fans. We’ve heard him at his best. He’s capable...hasn’t reached it on an album yet.

And for the record....****** was rightfully criticizing Future and Migos when they were slumping (See the threads around Honest album time and around 2015-2016 for Migos). So yes...yes we did :lol:.

Yes they do we have this discussion all the time

Also for the next 2weeks (that’s how long I give this album to live)

We gotta read “Cole music is for the intellectual, if your brain is dumbed down you won’t get it” etc etc :smh:

Facts. Future was speaking directly to the criticism he received when he said “put some blonde in my dreads I went too pop” back on My Savages. Son knew he wasn’t delivering the quality of music his fans came to expect from him since he began chasing another lane.

It would be one thing if Cole was a phenomenal producer, but a lot of the time it sounds like great lyrical content over lackluster beats.

As an artist, I can 100% respect that he has such a hand in creating, but dude could be better. But if he’s happy with his place in the record books, my opinion shouldn’t mean ****.

No no no, I LIKE Cole’s music. Is it my go to? No, but I liked 2014 FHD, BS, SS, the tapes. I usually enjoy Cole features. His verse on Boblo Boat was dope.

I meant to say, “The problem CRITICS SEEM to have with Cole, is”.

It was more an observation than a criticism, although I do think he could use more variety in his beats and would stand to benefit from getting some more talented people to do his hooks.

What trendy sounds are they jumping on? Cole and Kendricks most recent projects is right in line with what they've always done.

Kendrick went and got Mike Will and was rapping in the “Migos/Flow” on a couple tracks on Damn. Nothing particularly wrong with that as he’s just staying current...but he’s “on trend”.

:nerd: :nerd:

Not a lie. I also saw somebody’s say it took Cole a whole album to do what Future did on “Codeine Crazy” :lol:

I like this Cole album though. It’s cool.

Kendrick went and got Mike Will and was rapping in the “Migos/Flow” on a couple tracks on Damn. Nothing particularly wrong with that as he’s just staying current...but he’s “on trend”.
What songs got the Migos flow?

Sounwave did the bulk of that album and his sound definitely ain't what's trendy.

So with the production criticism... yall telling me that if Cole fixes that he would have a better career? He would be better regarded? He would go from Top 3 rapper to top 2 or number 1? Im not buying it. He has maintained his relevancy and grew his fan base extensively with his style of production. That says something right? I dont think any amount of tweaks will get him pass Drake in popularity or rival Kendrick with accolades and praise. And who is in his lane that could knock him off?

Ive been chalked up that this is his sound. So even tho the beats arent anything to write home about I never set myself up. But even with this album...it sounds nothing like his previous work, and that seems to be getting overlooked. Im glad he isnt trying to recreate FHD.

What do you call @2:10 on “Love”? Either way you slice it....it’s the modern triplet type flow that everybody does. Did y’all even listen? :lol:
That ain't Migos flow bruh. Why would he use the Migos flow on that type of song? :lol:

It's definitely not on any other records. Agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom